What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Cubs Thread*** (1 Viewer)

What's the thought on Mike Olt? Is he going to win the 3B job?

I have read that his vision problems are gone, and that the change of scenery has done him good. I am looking at him as a late-round pick who could pay off big.

I have read that his vision problems are gone, and that the change of scenery has done him good. I am looking at him as a late-round pick who could pay off big.
It sounds like he will get every chance to unseat the underwhelming platoon of Valbuena and Murphy. They are jammed pack at 3B in AAA and AA with major league potential so Olt would create a log jam in the infield if sent down. If he looks like at least a replacement level player, I think he is starting at 3B.

It sounds like he will get every chance to unseat the underwhelming platoon of Valbuena and Murphy. They are jammed pack at 3B in AAA and AA with major league potential so Olt would create a log jam in the infield if sent down. If he looks like at least a replacement level player, I think he is starting at 3B.
I realize the Rangers had Beltre but there were questions about Olt's glove at 3B.

I realize the Rangers had Beltre but there were questions about Olt's glove at 3B.
I have read that in places as well. I will be very interested in reading reports and watching him play this spring.

7 prospects in Baseball America's top 100.

Javier Baez

Kris Bryant

C.J. Edwards

Albert Almora

Jorge Soler

Pierce Johnson

Arismendy Alcantara

:excited:

Ryan Kalish made the team. When he first came up with Boston, I thought he was headed for big things. Injuries ravaged his career. Theo and Jed obviously see something positive. He's still young. Maybe he can turn it around.

I've taken a long break from baseball, trying to get back into it.

Can someone catch me up on the Cubs? I've missed a solid 5-6 years.

I wouldn't call them 'solid'
Lol, of this much I've gotten the gist.

I mean, I see the standings, and check into the playoffs, but the names I recognize across the league are getting into the later years of their careers, and I just realized the only Cub batter I had heard of was Starlin Castro.

hagmania said:

Because I'm lazy I'll paste a writeup by about this subject on r/cubs on reddit

In broad brush strokes, The Cubs were sold to The Ricketts Family. The Ricketts hired Theo Epstein as the President and Theo hired Jed Hoyer out of San Diego to GM. They have slowly take what was a below average to horrible farm system and restocked it. How? They have basically sold off most of The Cubs veteran, name brand talent on trades for prospects (or to just unload contract money).

Today The Cubs farm system is ranked in the top 5 by most people who rank such things. I have seen it called the best or second best farm system in baseball. The Cubs have also dramatically lowered their payroll. Depending on who you listen to The Ricketts are using this money to pay down some of the debt on the team or to build a war chest or for improvements or ... or .. or. In any case this is a very different organization than you would have seen just a few years ago.

Are The Cubs making it to the playoffs this year. No. Are The Cubs making it above .500 this year. Probably not. One of the big issues that came out of last season was that some of the guys at the bigs didn't progress, or regressed. Barney, Rizzo and Castro, to name the big names, were all disappointments in my book. So we are still tying a lot of our hopes to prospects and that with such a stocked farm system and a club that is hopefully making a metric #### ton due to its lower payroll that perhaps next year we might see a lot of talent come up, and then maybe the club will buy the missing pieces with all that mystery cash.

I am sure I left out a ton.

hagmania said:

In broad brush strokes, The Cubs were sold to The Ricketts Family. The Ricketts hired Theo Epstein as the President and Theo hired Jed Hoyer out of San Diego to GM. They have slowly take what was a below average to horrible farm system and restocked it. How? They have basically sold off most of The Cubs veteran, name brand talent on trades for prospects (or to just unload contract money).

Today The Cubs farm system is ranked in the top 5 by most people who rank such things. I have seen it called the best or second best farm system in baseball. The Cubs have also dramatically lowered their payroll. Depending on who you listen to The Ricketts are using this money to pay down some of the debt on the team or to build a war chest or for improvements or ... or .. or. In any case this is a very different organization than you would have seen just a few years ago.

Are The Cubs making it to the playoffs this year. No. Are The Cubs making it above .500 this year. Probably not. One of the big issues that came out of last season was that some of the guys at the bigs didn't progress, or regressed. Barney, Rizzo and Castro, to name the big names, were all disappointments in my book. So we are still tying a lot of our hopes to prospects and that with such a stocked farm system and a club that is hopefully making a metric #### ton due to its lower payroll that perhaps next year we might see a lot of talent come up, and then maybe the club will buy the missing pieces with all that mystery cash.

You left out Carlos Marmol and Brett Jackson

Basically the Cubs are in transition from Pile of Crap to Pile of Awesome. The farm system is STACKED (Baez, Bryant, Almora, Soler etc) with position players, but they are all a year or 2 away from being ready. They are lacking in the pitching dept. Currently they have a roster of guys who they hope over-perform that they can sell off for more prospects (Schierholtz, Barney, Bonifacio, Valbuena etc). Sprinkled in are young talented players that need to take the next step and become cornerstone players they are supposed to be (Rizzo, Castro, and hopefully Olt and Lake)

I prolly missed some stuff but Ive already started drinking

hagmania said:

You left out Carlos Marmol and Brett Jackson
No, some guy on reddit forgot to mention how awesome those 2 were

They won't be winning much this year but some things to look for...

1. Are they trading Samardzija? He is a very talented but inconsistent starter who is approaching 30 years old. The have currently dropped all contract extension talks but own him for two more arbitration years. Because of his age and the likelihood that the Cubs contending window opens in 2016 at the earliest, they are open to trading him. However, they are asking for a ton so far and probably are hoping that some contender will cave in just before the trade deadline.

2. Can Rizzo and Castro prove they are the young cornerstones everyone thought they were in April of 2013? Both had down years although Rizzo's is more about bad luck. And they were both given long term contracts into their prime. If this team is contending sooner rather than later, it is because these two players are challenging for all star games.

3. Will any of the post-hype prospects, high risk talents, or others become solid pieces for 2014 and beyond? Welington Castillo had a solid if unspectacular year that was absent of the power he had shown in the minors. If he can continue to improve defensively (pitch framing in particular) and re-discover his power stroke, he can be a solid catcher for the next 5 years. Junior Lake is the Soriano starter kit but swings at a ton more than low and away sliders. Either he begins recognizing pitches and becomes a 25hr/20sb threat or he (more likely) struggles to be anything more than a bench bat. Mike Olt was a prized defense (shut up Eephus) and power 3B who lost a year due to a beaning and vision problems. The Cubs acquired him at his lowest value and are hoping that he becomes the 25 HR threat he was predicted to be. All of the above will be getting a ton of at bats this year.

4. How good are Travis Wood/Edwin Jackson? Last year Wood was a very good pitcher but some see him as a back of the rotation talent who was lucky on balls in play. On the other hand, Jackson had the worst year of his career and some see him as being very unlucky. The Cubs have a collection of back of the rotation prospects who could challenge for roles this year or next and need at least one of Wood/Jackson to be at least a mid rotation starter. If not, that is one more starting pitcher they will have to buy to contend any time soon.

5. Prospects, Prospects, Prospects...

At some point this summer, Javier Baez will be playing in Wrigley in the infield (likely 2B) and violently striking out and launching balls into buildings across Waveland. He is a possible superstar whose ceiling depends on developing a calmness at the plate and in the field. He may have the fastest bat in baseball right now. Another summer addition will be Arodys Vizcaino who has the stuff of a top of the rotation starter but the injury history of a future closer. The Cubs will give him the chance to start but he will begin in the bullpen this year to protect his arm (he missed the last two seasons).

Joining him in Wrigley this fall or next spring will be Kris Bryant and Arismendy Alcantara. Bryant is power hitter with a tremendous approach at the plate. It is expected that he will move off of 3B into RF but the Cubs are letting him prove himself at 3B. At the plate, the only question is his strikeout rate limiting his ceiling. Alcantara is described as a Jimmy Rollins type at 2B. He will walk, hit for surprising power, and steal bases. He should be ready for Wrigley at some point this year but may not have a position if Olt, Castro, and Baez are all performing. There is talk of him becoming a utility player who can start all over the infield and outfield. If Olt falters, I can see Baez at 3B and Alcantara at 2B in September. The Cubs hope to have the problem of fitting all their young hitters into the lineup. They also have a impressive defensive 3B Christian Villanueva in AAA who is probably a league average (or slightly above) hitter in his prime.

Visiting Wrigley in 2015 or 2016 will be Albert Almora (described as a Jeter type player in CF), Jorge Soler (prototypical RF with solid power and approach), and C.J. Edwards (elite stuff in a tiny body - durability concerns).

The Cubs have even more solid hitting prospects that could see Wrigley in 2016 or beyond. They also have a few former prospects like Brett Jackson, Matt Szczur (pronounced "Ceaser"), and Josh Vitters who have not impressed but could see some time on the Cubs this year. The have also collected a ton of young arms in the last couple years in the hope that a couple stay healthy and develop into at least mid rotation starters. Edwards is at the top of that list but Pierce Johnson is the other name that could see Wrigley in 2015 if everything breaks right. Developing starting pitching is the Cubs #1 need into the future.

As for this year, if everything falls in the Cubs favor they might win 81 games. Expect 70-something wins and hope that the spine of a contending team is visible by September.

And there are distractors that think the owners will not spend the money when the Cubs are ready to contend. They think this because the Cubs have only handed out one big contract to a free agent during the new regime. I am not concerned with that. I don't think Theo Epstein and friends come to Chicago without a game plan that includes spending big if needed in the near future.

And there are distractors that think the owners will not spend the money when the Cubs are ready to contend. They think this because the Cubs have only handed out one big contract to a free agent during the new regime. I am not concerned with that. I don't think Theo Epstein and friends come to Chicago without a game plan that includes spending big if needed in the near future.
Theo is sticking with his plan.

Gotta love the new approach of building from within.

Very interesting segment on "60 Minutes Sports" about Theo and the Ricketts family.

I found it impressive that they are going all-in with the process of building the team from the ground up. They are pushing all of their chips into the center of the table. No hedging, no short-cuts. It takes guts to admit that they won't be competitive until 2016, but promise to be competitive throughout the next decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
This team will be the beast of the central in the very near future. Good management + big market + great young talent + lots of money = success.

This team will be the beast of the central in the very near future. Good management + big market + great young talent + lots of money = success.
I don't see St. Louis or Pittsburgh going away anytime soon. Cubs have a long way to go just to be consistently competitive.

If they make a run at Scherzer, trade for Price, re-sign Samardzija, and manage to develop a couple of these highly touted prospects into borderline all stars they'll contend. It's a lot to ask for.

I expect them to trade the Shark before the July deadline, and they'll be in a major bidding war for Scherzer/Price, so I don't know how optimistic I am about these things happening.

Theo's in year three of a five year deal. His reputation gives him a longer leash than most GMs. Based on this thread, the natives aren't getting restless but I'd start checking the Emperor's wardrobe if he doesn't put a winning team on the field by 2016.

Theo's in year three of a five year deal. His reputation gives him a longer leash than most GMs. Based on this thread, the natives aren't getting restless but I'd start checking the Emperor's wardrobe if he doesn't put a winning team on the field by 2016.
That's this thread.

Attendance is down. Pretty sure TV ratings are too.

As a Sox fan, I don't have a lot of room to talk :bag:

Drew 2.6M last year. Fans will come back once some of these younger players get called up

New tv money is on the way, count on it

I'm not worried about them spending the money right now. Spending now means makes a 65 win team an 80 win team. They will spend when they are ready to compete.

They are getting close, and I can wait.

There is an increasing portion of Cub fans who are losing their patience with the rebuild. We will see how that plays out in attendance this year. The attraction of Wrigley is always a factor in pulling in non-Cub fans though.

2011: 3.02 M

2012: 2.88 M

2013: 2.64 M - still 12th in baseball according to ESPN

IMO this year is the turning point for the rebuild. Either the young MLB hitters proved their staying power and the prospects dominate AA and AAA taking a huge step towards contention or we are looking at 2nd division status for a few more years and the attendance continues to dip.

I am fairly confident that the offense will be at least average next year and above average in 2016 and beyond but long term the pitching is a concern. There are some upper rotation arms in the system but with significant issues or tons of development ahead of them. I think they keep Shark unless he brings in a TOR prospect. Wood and Jackson (if he stays) are #3 starters at best and back of the rotation options on a good pitching staff. They have a few #4/5 starters on the verge of the rotation. But unless Edwards is a legit #2 or better starter in 180+ innings, they will have to spend money even with Shark in the fold to get a upper tier starter to contend in 2015/16.

If the offense does explode in the next two years, there will be a ton of pressure to add an arm or two to the rotation. We will see the financial situation then.

Users who are viewing this thread