What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Child being bullied for weight (1 Viewer)

Ned Ryerson

Footballguy
My son, is being bullied at camp.

He is 9 years old, 4'10" and 98 lbs.  He is in the 98th percentile for height and weight, so in theory, he is proportional, but he does not look that way, as his belly protrudes, and he is self-conscious about it.  (I hope this doesn't make me sound like a bad parent, but I think a healthier weight would probably be about 10 pounds thinner.)  We tell him to make healthy decisions with eating and portions, and watch what he eats and how much he eats, but it is always a battle.  His diet is not as varied as we would like, and he does not get enough vegetables and fruits despite our efforts.  (I'd say it was hereditary or lack of watching what he eats, but my younger son would be blown away by a stiff wind, we often have to force him to eat and he will eat any type of fruit you put in front of him.)

Sports have always been difficult for my older son.  He was evaluated as having "low tone" as an infant, and it has carried throughout his childhood.  I'm honest about my evaluation of my son, and watching him play sports is very hard.  He has been consistently, since he was about 5, the worst kid on the field.  When I watch him run with the other kids, it almost appears as if he isn't trying, when I know he is.  As a result, it becomes this vicious circle where he is poor athletically, so he doesn't really build up a sweat to exercise at a good clip, so he struggles to lose the weight, which makes him slower, etc.  Also, I think his inherent lack of muscle tone gives him a flabbier appearance.

At camp, changing for swim has become a challenge.  Nearly every day, several kids, including one in particular, make fun of him calling him "the first pregnant man", "man boobs", etc. We know the bully's parents, and they are nice enough, and we have no intent of "telling on the bully" as we know that would make things worse.   My son has complained to his counselors, and nothing has come of it.  

For those who have children who have been bullied in this way, several questions-

1) What advice would you give your son as to how to respond to this?

2) What steps have you taken to get your kid out there more athletically to build up a good sweat for one who is not naturally coordinated (he is already in swim lessons)?

3) Would you be doing anything with telling the camp without naming names, or will "boys be boys"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a parent and don't have any good advice for you or your soon.

But I do feel for both of you and hope y'all can work it out. No kid deserves to be made fun of like that. It seems like there has been an anti-bullying push the last few years so hopefully it will end for your son soon. Good luck.

I'd reccomended getting a sit down with the bully and his parents and have them list positive qualities about each other

this post brought to you by a kinder, gentler Dan Lambskin

Sorry man, that sucks.  My nephew is 12 and exactly like this.  Breaks my heart.  His mom has him working with a personal trainer now, but it's expensive.  Competitive swimming is an idea to explore.  

Kids can be so mean.  So can adults.  Gosh...sorry again man. 

Sorry man, that sucks.  My nephew is 12 and exactly like this.  Breaks my heart.  His mom has him working with a personal trainer now, but it's expensive.  Competitive swimming is an idea to explore.  

Kids can be so mean.  So can adults.  Gosh...sorry again man. 
Yup. Athletics can mean a lot of different things - swimming, wrestling, weight lifting, etc.

Good suggestions.  Problem is strength, he just doesn't have it.  I guess pushups and situps?
He doesn't have strength because of a medical condition or because of a lack of fitness?

Body weight exercise are likely out because his strength/weight ratio. But maybe some light weight work?  Does he like hitting golf balls?  Bowling?  Anything that requires less running?

He doesn't have strength because of a medical condition or because of a lack of fitness?

Body weight exercise are likely out because his strength/weight ratio. But maybe some light weight work?  Does he like hitting golf balls?  Bowling?  Anything that requires less running?
Medical condition, although I suppose some from column A and some from column B.  At six months old, he was diagnosed as having "low tone"-  The internet says the following-

You may, however, have to lower your expectations for your child's future athletic prowess, since children with mild hypotonia are more likely than other children to have coordination problems and may well be less adept at — and therefore less interested in — sports during their grade-school years. A non-competitive environment that focuses on enjoyment and self-improvement rather than performance or winning will help your child participate enthusiastically without feeling penalized if he's less agile than some of his peers. And it's important to keep in mind that even if your child isn't destined to be a Little League star, he'll be able to have a fine life in many other ways.

It is difficult, because his friends like sports, and he is lukewarm about them, for obvious reasons.  As a result, he feels as if he has to participate to fit in, but I don't know that it is good for his self-esteem when he is doomed to fail, and says to me "Aren't I always the worst kid on my team"?

There are several sports that don't require good "tone".  Play golf and have him walk the 18 holes 3-4 a week...that can't hurt as long as he doesn't have a snickers/Gatorade every hole.

Guessing he has a sugar problem?  Need to cut that back now before he develops diabetes

There are several sports that don't require good "tone".  Play golf and have him walk the 18 holes 3-4 a week...that can't hurt as long as he doesn't have a snickers/Gatorade every hole.

Guessing he has a sugar problem?  Need to cut that back now before he develops diabetes
He just had a physical last, week.  Will see what blood tests say.  He has never had a problem before though, so not sure, although we certainly have to watch his sugar intake.

If my kids were doing this I would want someone to "tell" me.
The bullying, I presume?  Sure, I would too.  

But I don't know if it plays out that well for my son.  We tell bully's parents bully is being a bully.  They are embarrassed and tell bully not to be a bully.  Bully tells other kids at camp that my son complained to his mommy, and cycle continues.  Isn't that how this works, or have things changed in the last 30 years since I was a kid?

Lets get something straight here, based on the OP the kid is not getting "bullied" but rather made fun of.  Quite the difference.

What an odd world we are evolving into.

But I don't know if it plays out that well for my son.  We tell bully's parents bully is being a bully.  They are embarrassed and tell bully not to be a bully.  Bully tells other kids at camp that my son complained to his mommy, and cycle continues.  Isn't that how this works, or have things changed in the last 30 years since I was a kid?
Nope, I think you nailed it.

Don't have much to add except sorry this is happening to you guys. Sucks

Jesus dude, really?  Might be the most insensitive post I've read here.  
You mean, other than the one making fun of my son's concussion when he hit his head at the pool that has since been deleted, of course.

I'm clearly hurting, as is my 9 year old son, are games over semantics, really necessary?

Unfortunately you can't fight genetics but that doesn't mean he can't participate if he wants too. If he doesn't that's cool too . Plenty of other activities , theatre , music etc

If he likes football have you looked into pop warner , starts Aug 1 nation wide. Good excercise with the benefit of being part of a team

and if he's complained to counselors I definitely would talk to the little numbnuts parents

Every kid on some level in grades 3-8 has been made fun of.  Its just how things are.  Trying to insulate kids from this is doing more harm than good IMO.
I realize that.  I'm trying to minimize the pain he is feeling, as it sucks, and am seeing if anyone has some tips they can pass along.  You can feel free to contribute, or make fun of how we lost our way as a society.  I'll leave that to your discretion.

Lets get something straight here, based on the OP the kid is not getting "bullied" but rather made fun of.  Quite the difference.

What an odd world we are evolving into.
Not so odd as long as you're still available for a blitheringly stupid and cruel hot take.  (See above.)

Sorry this is happening, Ned.  Is there a medical answer/strategy for this?  The MDs who diagnosed him - do they have any suggestions? 

Not so odd as long as you're still available for a blitheringly stupid and cruel hot take.  (See above.)

Sorry this is happening, Ned.  Is there a medical answer/strategy for this?  The MDs who diagnosed him - do they have any suggestions? 
He was in school/county-authorized physical therapy for 7 years, which he just "graduated" from.  He was given exercises to do at home from his school physical therapists, which we do at home, but I don't think it will make much of an impact going forward.  He may be progressing, but his peers are progressing too, and at a faster rate.

He was in school/county-authorized physical therapy for 7 years, which he just "graduated" from.  He was given exercises to do at home from his school physical therapists, which we do at home, but I don't think it will make much of an impact going forward.  He may be progressing, but his peers are progressing too, and at a faster rate.
Not trying to sound cruel here but your kid is going to be fine.  He is 9, probably the biggest kid in the class and with a minimum diet adjustment can straighten out in months.  I think you are fretting over nothing and its simply the rite of passage at that age.  Dont baby him.  Every one of us has been made fun of and has made fun someone at that age.  Its just the way it is.  Again dont baby him.  There will come a point in the next couple years he will get picked on and have to fight.  Its just the way it is in kids.  Its the way its always been.  I just dont agree with trying to insulate kids from this.  It only makes it worse.  Be thankful your kid is going to be bigger than average and he will always be able to use that to his advantage. 

Yea. I don't know.. I would come down pretty damned hard on my sons. 

Sports parents have shown me that not all parents are able to accept criticism of their children.. so maybe not.

Well maybe not relevant/too young but I'd look into strength training age appropriate techniques. He's developing a bad spiral pattern (that you are already aware of) - lack of fitness leads to disengagement from physical activities leads to decreasing fitness etc etc. 

Strength training doesn't take much skill just perseverance. Have him help around the house/yard carrying things, lifting objects, unloading heavier grocery bags etc. Maybe some basic wall squats, planks (just static hold push-ups with elbows and toes on ground - straight back). Make it a game (How long can you hold this?  Beat your previous time and you can pick a movie on Netflix). Maybe dad can do them with him. 

We work with overweight teens occasionally at our training centers. We focus on strength first to build up fitness in a controlled manner. 

Really sorry to hear this.  Same thing happened to my oldest (12) last year at 5'4 135 pounds.  His solution was to threaten stabbing a kid if he didn't leave him alone.  So although it worked, I wouldn't recommend this route.  Good news is we took him off one of his meds after school ended and he's down to 125 pounds.

Really sorry to hear this.  Same thing happened to my oldest (12) last year at 5'4 135 pounds.  His solution was to threaten stabbing a kid if he didn't leave him alone.  So although it worked, I wouldn't recommend this route.  Good news is we took him off one of his meds after school ended and he's down to 125 pounds.
I think that my son is headed for that same weight height area at the same age.  Yikes re the stabbing threat.  That's a tough call to get from school, or hear from your son.

If you don't want to get involved, teach him to stand up for himself.  I presume if he wallops the ringleader once, the bullying will stop.

Guys, telling a kid like this to stand up and defend himself, ie "wallop" the bully, is great and all, but more than likely going to result in him getting his ### kicked due to his problems which will only make his self confidence worse.

Guys, telling a kid like this to stand up and defend himself, ie "wallop" the bullyis, great and all, but more than likely going to result in him getting his ### kicked due to his problems which will only make his self confidence worse.
Telling a kid to not defend yourself (not saying this is the case in this instance) is only going to make matters worse as well.  At some point in adolescence a little boy is going to have to stand up for himself.  It certainly makes it easier for neds kid being the biggest kid and all. 

How is a 9 yo making any food decisions anyway?  

Put him in a judo class when he gets home and the next kid that talks smack gets dumped on his head, but for now, tell him a kick in the nuts or a punch in the stomach or nose should do.   Tell him when he gets his bully on the ground to stand over him and utter the phrase, "Say I'm fat again". 

Guys, telling a kid like this to stand up and defend himself, ie "wallop" the bully, is great and all, but more than likely going to result in him getting his ### kicked due to his problems which will only make his self confidence worse.
I've thought about this.  He probably has 30 pounds and 4 inches on the primary bully.  But due to his issues, he has no speed, and would not exactly be dealing with fists of fury when in attack mode.

I think that my son is headed for that same weight height area at the same age.  Yikes re the stabbing threat.  That's a tough call to get from school, or hear from your son.
Yeah it sucked pretty bad.  I told him to punch the kid in his face.  He took it a couple of steps past that. 

I've thought about this.  He probably has 30 pounds and 4 inches on the primary bully.  But due to his issues, he has no speed, and would not exactly be dealing with fists of fury when in attack mode.
Come on dude. your kid could end this easily if thats the route you want to take ( not saying it is at that age though), 9 year olds dont know how to fight and if you son got aggressive he could just push the kid down and lay on him and this is all but over.

I see as a parent what you are going through but I think you are making too big of a deal about it.  You cannot let your sons "bully" affect him like this.  This is going to happen from now until the end of high school.  He has to learn to deal with it with which ever way he chooses.

I forgot which episode it is, but you need to watch the first few episodes of True Detective Season 2.    Colin Farrell will show you how to handle this.

People actually think its a good idea to teach a 9 year old to resolve problems through violence?
I agree. Terrible advice.

No easy answer though. This is a tough situation. On the one hand as parents you have absolute control over your 9 year olds weight. On the other hand, if by easing off a bit, he puts on weight, you just know when he is older he will be obese, so you need to help him get to be comfortable in his own skin. 

One thing I will say though is it sounds like he has always been this way, so maybe he doesnt think it is possible to be thin. I know it takes a ton of effort and you need to make sure the grandparents are on board, as they can be a real problem with kids eating habits, but you might need to put on a full court press to at least try and get him fit. 

Well maybe not relevant/too young but I'd look into strength training age appropriate techniques. He's developing a bad spiral pattern (that you are already aware of) - lack of fitness leads to disengagement from physical activities leads to decreasing fitness etc etc. 

Strength training doesn't take much skill just perseverance. Have him help around the house/yard carrying things, lifting objects, unloading heavier grocery bags etc. Maybe some basic wall squats, planks (just static hold push-ups with elbows and toes on ground - straight back). Make it a game (How long can you hold this?  Beat your previous time and you can pick a movie on Netflix). Maybe dad can do them with him. 

We work with overweight teens occasionally at our training centers. We focus on strength first to build up fitness in a controlled manner. 
I think this is the best advice. Strength will also give him a lot of confidence. 

Tennis, trust me. 

The racquet will do most of the work. 

Make sure your kid has a good bicycle that he can't wait to jump on. 

Swimming

Users who are viewing this thread