What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chip Kelly (1 Viewer)

Kinda disappointed in the chipper. Why get rid of Maclin and then draft a clone? I know, money is always an answer but if you're trying to win, you could keep him, afford him, put the picks to better use than simply trading a white flower for a red one.

Kinda disappointed in the chipper. Why get rid of Maclin and then draft a clone? I know, money is always an answer but if you're trying to win, you could keep him, afford him, put the picks to better use than simply trading a white flower for a red one.
I agree and it does seem like chasing your tail at the position but I guess you have to draw a line somewhere with the money. Im interested to see who out of Huff, Agholor and Matthews emerges as the 1

:thumbup:

They've spent the entire offseason and all its valuable resources replacing -- and probably slightly devaluing -- the team's strengths, while letting every real need go all but utterly unaddressed. And before you think to yourself, "Chip has a plan," his plan revolved around his stated premise that his system could create silk purses out of sows' ears at precisely the positions he's now used up all the team's resources on. "I have a plan, but I'm not going to use it, because I like shiny objects."

:X

Chip has no plan. Guy is hopelessly at sea as everything but an OC.

:thumbup: They've spent the entire offseason and all its valuable resources replacing -- and probably slightly devaluing -- the team's strengths, while letting every real need go all but utterly unaddressed. And before you think to yourself, "Chip has a plan," his plan revolved around his stated premise that his system could create silk purses out of sows' ears at precisely the positions he's now used up all the team's resources on. "I have a plan, but I'm not going to use it, because I like shiny objects."

The Eagles have been solid since Kelly took over a terrible team. Not sure how you can say he is in over his head.

Because he thinks that he is smarter than everyone else, obviously.

My prediction is Chip is coaching in college by no later than 2018.
Giving a 3 year window.....wow so bold!
It seems extremely bold to me. He's been successful in the NFL so far, and seems poised for more success. If he wanted to go back to college, he probably wouldn't have left in the first place.
He's not even under contract that long. If he continues to succeed he will have great opportunities in college or pros. Hardly bold.

His whole ummm no I didn't try to trade those guys statement was comically transparent as he now has to coach them.

So funny how many people still think Chip is clueless...there were a lot of those when he left Oregon, too.

Has he been perfect every step of the way? No.

But he turned a 4-12 team into two 10-6 teams, while fielding the #2 offense in the NFL over the last 2 seasons behind only the Broncos. Trying to act like he is "clueless" is simply being ignorant of the facts.

Despite all the shocking moves, I think we are looking at a better team than what we went into last season with. And hopefully some potential starters on D to come between tonight and tomorrow.

HIs offense wont work in the NFL
He took over a crap team with no qb, no defense, a good RB and some decent wr's and havent they led the league in yardage over the past 2 years?Seems to me it's working fine.
A good RB? Shady was a top 5 RB easily.

Decent Wr's? Forget Maclin for a moment. DJAX has a unique skillset that worked perfectly with Shady in the way they stretched the edges of the defense. Especially when Vick was healthy.

I like Chip for what he brings to the NFL and hope he succeeds, but if he basically is swapping out yellow cars for blue ones just so he can call them his own, I don't know if it will work because he MIGHT just find that replacing the guys he replaced isn't as simple as he thought.

So funny how many people still think Chip is clueless...there were a lot of those when he left Oregon, too.

But he turned a 4-12 team into two 10-6 teams, while fielding the #2 offense in the NFL over the last 2 seasons behind only the Broncos. Trying to act like he is "clueless" is simply being ignorant of the facts.

Despite all the shocking moves, I think we are looking at a better team than what we went into last season with. And hopefully some potential starters on D to come between tonight and tomorrow.
That 4-12 team that was hit with injuries and a team that had zero chemistry the year they tried to buy themselves over the hump in FA?

Ok, that's fine. Teams aren't allowed to have down years. But don't talk like Chip came in and resurrected a dead, listless program. That 4-12 team was also a team that, since 2000, was regularly in the playoffs winning 10-12 games every year.

But if people want to talk about clueless, just boil it down to the bottom line...wins and playoff wins and, to date, Chip has zero of the latter. As brilliant as we may want to think Chip is (and I am one that wants to see him succeed), the truth is he's not going to be any different if he doesn't take that next step and so far he has not.

Where does he rank on a scale of Mike Tice to Belichick?

I think Mike Tice when I think or clueless coaches. Kelly may be doing some things that aren't ideal, but he doesn't seem completely inept. Its not like he has zero redeeming qualities like many terrible nfl coaches.

Where does he rank on a scale of Mike Tice to Belichick?

I think Mike Tice when I think or clueless coaches. Kelly may be doing some things that aren't ideal, but he doesn't seem completely inept. Its not like he has zero redeeming qualities like many terrible nfl coaches.
Not at all. He's a very good coach. He's a welcome breath of fresh air to NFL coaching. He is a lot of good things.

It just seems like he is very polarizing in that people either see him as terrible and bumbling because he has dismantled the core of the team or people just defend him blindly despite the reality that he hasn't won in the playoffs with "his" system and players entrenched.

Its a blurred line but, IMO, great to have him in the league. I just hope he's making choices that will prove to be good ones so he can stay in the league.

That 4-12 team that was hit with injuries and a team that had zero chemistry the year they tried to buy themselves over the hump in FA?

Ok, that's fine. Teams aren't allowed to have down years. But don't talk like Chip came in and resurrected a dead, listless program. That 4-12 team was also a team that, since 2000, was regularly in the playoffs winning 10-12 games every year.

But if people want to talk about clueless, just boil it down to the bottom line...wins and playoff wins and, to date, Chip has zero of the latter. As brilliant as we may want to think Chip is (and I am one that wants to see him succeed), the truth is he's not going to be any different if he doesn't take that next step and so far he has not.
He took over a team that had declined 3 straight years. 4 if you consider going from NFCCG to losing the WC round a decline.

Edit: Let's also remember the team under Reid had coaches and players fighting on the sidelines. It was a bad atmosphere when Reid was fired. Not just a "down" year.

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbup:

They've spent the entire offseason and all its valuable resources replacing -- and probably slightly devaluing -- the team's strengths, while letting every real need go all but utterly unaddressed. And before you think to yourself, "Chip has a plan," his plan revolved around his stated premise that his system could create silk purses out of sows' ears at precisely the positions he's now used up all the team's resources on. "I have a plan, but I'm not going to use it, because I like shiny objects."

Bradford this year.

J.T. Barrett next year.

Dell is down. Used phone so shoot me. By the way the JETS suck too. Maybe Chip will make trade for Geno and give you Tebow back.

He took over a crap team with no qb, no defense, a good RB and some decent wr's and havent they led the league in yardage over the past 2 years?Seems to me it's working fine.
Yes that lost team he took over with a top Oline, one of the best WR in the league and one of the best RBs in the league.

Yes that lost team he took over with a top Oline, one of the best WR in the league and one of the best RBs in the league.
That finished 8-8 and 4-12 in the previous 2 seasons.

thayman said:
Ok I'll play.

You mean a 1 dimensional WR and a RB that didn't fit his system along with an OL plagued by injuries?

Along with their terrible record.....but yeah they were great.

Yeah, that's pretty bad to throw a current player of yours under the bus like that.
I agree that it is far from ideal. But I think that it is a response to the fact that Mathis, as the oldest guard in the league who has a decent contract, has been grumbling about an extension/re-working of his deal. They don't think there is any reason to do that. So he should shut up and play.

Yeah, that's pretty bad to throw a current player of yours under the bus like that.
I agree that it is far from ideal. But I think that it is a response to the fact that Mathis, as the oldest guard in the league who has a decent contract, has been grumbling about an extension/re-working of his deal. They don't think there is any reason to do that. So he should shut up and play.
Not to mention Mathis' twitter account, while hilarious, sorta takes veiled shots at Kelly.

To me it seems like Chip thinks he's playing Madden and can just manipulate teams in trades. I think his whole endgame was Mariota, and he got :own3d: .

To me it seems like Chip thinks he's playing Madden and can just manipulate teams in trades. I think his whole endgame was Mariota, and he got :own3d: .
When Chip says "you guys think about what I think more than I think about what I think" you're the type he has in mind.

Is it really that outlandish that he actually just preferred Bradford over Foles? I'm sure he would have loved Mariota, but was smart enough to walk away when the price was too steep. Seems like much ado over nothing re: all of the Eagles' moves this offseason.

Murray + Matthews = McCoy (or close enough that Kiko tips it toward an Eagles win)

Bradford = Foles

Maclin is good, but not worth what KC coughed up IMO

If Kelly had come in and cleaned house in year 1, no one would have thought anything of it because every new HC does it. The fact that he waited 2 seasons to see what he had (and get acclimated to to the NFL) has everyone in an uproar.

If Kelly had come in and cleaned house in year 1, no one would have thought anything of it because every new HC does it. The fact that he waited 2 seasons to see what he had (and get acclimated to to the NFL) has everyone in an uproar.
He JUST got the GM job this year. That's why this has happened.

Coeur de Lion said:
Sabertooth said:
Is it really that outlandish that he actually just preferred Bradford over Foles? I'm sure he would have loved Mariota, but was smart enough to walk away when the price was too steep. Seems like much ado over nothing re: all of the Eagles' moves this offseason.Murray + Matthews = McCoy (or close enough that Kiko tips it toward an Eagles win)

Bradford = Foles

The way he has handled the entire looks like he thinks he's playing Madden. Good luck getting guys to play for you who don't respect you.Bradford doesn't equal Foles.

Bradford is better than Foles. Sanchez went from a career 55% comp.% to 64% last year. Bradford and Murray ran a very similar offense at OU. I'm pretty sure he knows what he wants to do with this offense.

Bradford is better than Foles. Sanchez went from a career 55% comp.% to 64% last year. Bradford and Murray ran a very similar offense at OU. I'm pretty sure he knows what he wants to do with this offense.
Bradford is not better that Foles. That is just insane. Can you find any statistical data to back that up? Or are you going on their draft position or what scouting reports said about these guys 5 years ago?

Bradford is not better that Foles. That is just insane. Can you find any statistical data to back that up? Or are you going on their draft position or what scouting reports said about these guys 5 years ago?
We will find out what Foles is this year not in the same system that even Sanchez can put up good stats. I can promise you you won't see 27 to 2 ratio ever again.

Coeur de Lion said:
Sabertooth said:
Is it really that outlandish that he actually just preferred Bradford over Foles? I'm sure he would have loved Mariota, but was smart enough to walk away when the price was too steep. Seems like much ado over nothing re: all of the Eagles' moves this offseason.Murray + Matthews = McCoy (or close enough that Kiko tips it toward an Eagles win)

Bradford = Foles

The way he has handled the entire looks like he thinks he's playing Madden. Good luck getting guys to play for you who don't respect you.Bradford doesn't equal Foles.
So the players don't respect him because he made a few trades? OK. I'd imagine they're fine with winning 10 games two years in a row vs what happened at the end under Reid, but who knows.

And we'll certainly see this year on Bradford vs Foles. Given what he's done with the Philly offense thus far, I'm going with Kelly's opinion on this for now.

Users who are viewing this thread