What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Borland (1 Viewer)

The Admiral

Footballguy
What's the future situation of Chris Borland? I know him and Wilhoite are the two big names in San Francisco, but what happens when Willis comes back? I have the opportunity to claim all three off waivers, so I just wanted to know more about them.

Willis is on waivers? Grab him.

Borland goes back to the bench--or at best a time share with Wilhoite--when PW is back.....and both Borl and Wilh sit when Bowman is back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bowman is the only linebacker worth owning on that defense. Willis is past his fantasy prime and it shows.

never been more upset watching one of my niner defenders(well since the Mike Rumph days) than Borland during the Denver Game. He was so exposed as being roster fodder. when running plays are funneled to him in our D setup to do so he can look OK. moreso that he gets the guy down when they run into him, a playmaker he is not. ride him like Larry Grant years ago b/c when this burns out we may not hear from him again. he is just setup to be a fantasy stat whore now

Rookie inside linebacker Chris Borland leads the 49ers in an obscure and unofficial statistic: practice picks.

At least that’s according to safety Eric Reid, who shook his head Tuesday at Borland’s knack for getting his hands on the ball.

“I think he leads the team in practice interceptions,” Reid said. “Last week, I think he had five. It’s hard to get two in practice.
http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Borland-and-other-49ers-fill-ins-make-themselves-5871209.php

Rookie inside linebacker Chris Borland leads the 49ers in an obscure and unofficial statistic: practice picks.

At least thats according to safety Eric Reid, who shook his head Tuesday at Borlands knack for getting his hands on the ball.

I think he leads the team in practice interceptions, Reid said. Last week, I think he had five. Its hard to get two in practice.
http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Borland-and-other-49ers-fill-ins-make-themselves-5871209.php
But.......ninerfanatic says he is roster fodder........

At least thats according to safety Eric Reid, who shook his head Tuesday at Borlands knack for getting his hands on the ball.

I think he leads the team in practice interceptions, Reid said. Last week, I think he had five. Its hard to get two in practice.
But.......ninerfanatic says he is roster fodder........
He may have a point. I survived off of Barrett Ruud for years and when the Bucs finally seperated themselves from him he proved to be mediocre to say the least.

San Francisco LB Patrick Willis OUT so rookie LB Chris Borland gets another start.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

No Patrick Willis today for 49ersPosted by Mike Florio on November 9, 2014, 9:57 AM EST

49ers linebacker Patrick Willis has missed two games with a sprained toe. Make that three as of Sunday.

Jeff Darlington of NFL Media reports from the scene of the 49ers-Saints game that Willis is “very, very doubtful” to play. Officially, Willis is listed as questionable.

Willis suffered the toe injury on October 13 against the Rams. Eventually, the question needs to be asked regarding whether Willis will return at all in 2014.

He continues to be replaced by rookie Chris Borland, who racked up 18 tackles against the Rams a week ago.

Borland continues to look like roster fodder while simultaneously outproducing the other 10 guys on the field.
IDP is an inexact science man. I don't pretend to be able to identify talent on the defensive side of the ball. I do know though that bad/mediocre players have produced consistent results in the past. Mostly IDP is about opportunity and PT something Borland is getting both of right now. I'm not sure if he is good or bad but I wouldn't be so dismissive of others assesments based purely on tackle #'s. Maybe teams are running his way for a reason.

Borland continues to look like roster fodder while simultaneously outproducing the other 10 guys on the field.
IDP is an inexact science man. I don't pretend to be able to identify talent on the defensive side of the ball. I do know though that bad/mediocre players have produced consistent results in the past. Mostly IDP is about opportunity and PT something Borland is getting both of right now. I'm not sure if he is good or bad but I wouldn't be so dismissive of others assesments based purely on tackle #'s. Maybe teams are running his way for a reason.
Or maybe people should watch him play before making an assessment then.Btw, Borland just "roster foddered" his way to recovering a fumble in Saints territory during OT.

Borland may not be the next NFL superstar but he has one trait that would rank amongst the very best in the entire league...heart.

Doesn't matter if he's filling in for an injured Willis, on kick coverage coverage, or in practice. The guy just doesn't back down.

I thought he looked good today. Seems to have great instincts, which I think is just as valuable as physical ability.

kinda shows us how good Bowman was/hopefully still is, he was putting up games like this with the defense intact full of playmakers and the offense actually sustaining drives(actually catching the ball helps) and grinding the clock and plays.

I will admit that was the Best i've seen Borland play. maybe he's settling down......just a few games ago i was yelling at the TV and hoping that they'd even experiment with Justin Smith at ILB than Borland stay in there.

Read an interesting analogy on Miles Burris. It's the "don't have to be faster than the bear" syndrome. He's bad enough they run at him alot, thus he gets tons of chances. All he has to be is not so bad that they bench him for someone else. There's probably a lot of this at play here. Not that it matters right now to his owners, we'll ride this out and love it the entire time, but knowing it's coming helps prepare.

Dude is definitely a high motor sideline to sideline guy, I watched several plays of him running all the way across the field to get in on the play.

Let's also remember he is a rookie, shouldn't we give this guy a little slack while he gets used the speed of the NFL? Least before we call him fodder IMO.

I may be biased as a Wisconsin fan and Borland owner but the Niners drafted him in the 3rd round so they must think of him as more than roster fodder. It's not like he was a 7th rounder or UDFA.

With news of Bowman experiencing pain still this guy should be a LB1 the rest of the way. The only hate I have is because I dropped him thinking Willis was playing and watched somebody else scoop him up. Damn.

Or maybe people should watch him play before making an assessment then.Btw, Borland just "roster foddered" his way to recovering a fumble in Saints territory during OT.
I think you are the one not watchingthe games--or maybe you don't understand defensive schemes, which is ok too. Simply put, the scheme has funneled tackles to Borland. He's made some nice reads, but he's also made his share of 6 yard tackles. While he might be great for fantasy, he's making nobody forget his predecessors. Let's be fair, he has come a long way since miner fanatic made the fodder comment.

I think you are the one not watchingthe games--or maybe you don't understand defensive schemes, which is ok too. Simply put, the scheme has funneled tackles to Borland. He's made some nice reads, but he's also made his share of 6 yard tackles. While he might be great for fantasy, he's making nobody forget his predecessors. Let's be fair, he has come a long way since miner fanatic made the fodder comment.
Yeah, that must be it, I don't understand schemes.In last week's game, there was a play where Brees was going to check down to a RB in the flat. Borland read it perfectly and shut it down. Coaches notice little things like that, even if nobody else does.

Borland has always been a tackle machine. At Wisconsin you could always tell where Borland was because he was wherever the ball was--making a tackle. He has put up great numbers the last two weeks and I'm sure that will continue. Is he Patrick Willis? No, but only Patrick Willis is.

It's players not schemes. He is a high energy tackler and regardless if scheme he will continue to make plays.

2 picks for Borland today, along with 12 tackles. One of those picks inside San Fran's own 5-yard line with only a few minutes to go. Yeah, he can play this game.

2 picks for Borland today, along with 12 tackles. One of those picks inside San Fran's own 5-yard line with only a few minutes to go. Yeah, he can play this game.
just traded for him earlier this week (2 2nd round Picks) in my 16 team dynasty league and he is paying immediate dividends

I remember Borland sitting out a few snaps, but I didn't realize it was this much. What happens when Bowman comes back?

LB wilhoite 100% borland 83% a lynch 94% a smith 77% brooks 17%

from what i've read bowman's situation is a little murky.

supposedly he still has pain in his knee, or whatever, so I'm not sure he's a lock to get back this year, but we'll see.

q+a with harbaugh

Borland has been really impressive. What do you see in him? What do you like about him?

"I've loved him since I first started watching him play. As the draft process was going on, you're watching every game that he plays. It's just ‘football player.' And throughout that process, I know he's got some fans and he's got family and lots of brothers and people back in Dayton, Ohio, that admire him, but I feel like I'm at least tied for first in the Chris Borland fan club. And I felt that way when we were evaluating him and drafting him and since he's been here. What does he do? He's got great instincts. He's got a great ability to take coaching. He's got a great knack for the football. He's moving a step ahead. It's like the great baseball players that are moving at the crack of the bat. He's moving before, a step before some other players that have played this game for a very long time. The way he's able to dip. The way he has a knack for the football. It's like a thief in the night. He'll come steal your football from you. And he's so physical. You can see when he takes on the lead blocker that there is some rattling of fillings. And then sometimes he'll just go by him. He'll just slip past him. He had a great move, tackle for a loss in this past game. It was a classic NaVorro Bowman move, where linebacker is filling, fullback is getting ready to lead on NaVorro, and in this case Chris Borland, and he just disregards taking on the blocker, goes right past him and makes the tackle in the backfield for a three-yard loss. You can probably find the play I'm describing, but that's a classic NaVorro Bowman move. Excellent job of incorporating that into his game. So many things."

Anyone catch this?

------------------------

Pro Football Focus @PFF · 15m 15 minutes ago

Chris Borland is reminding @PFF_Sam a lot of Luke Kuechly. Check out the breakdown here: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/11/19/analysis-notebook-week-11-3/ …
-----------------------

Sacrilege?

I don't know.

Check out the linked article that breaks down the argument.

Can't cut-and-paste because it has some video gifs to show Borland in action.

Guy could be THEE next IDP stud.

---------------------

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/11/19/analysis-notebook-week-11-3/

Chris Borland Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week

Yippee - I was able to snag C.Borland off WW this morning.

My team wasn't really hurting at LB, but always nice to secure a big upgrade heading towards the FF playoffs...
Hurting or not I'd start him over every LB not named Kuechly or Mosley.
What if you have Kuechly, Mosley, Borland, Sio Moore, and Brandon Marshall? Good thing we start 4.

As a die-hard Ohio State fan, I hated playing against this guy. Not shocked at all that he has shown flashes of success at the NFL level.

I remember Borland sitting out a few snaps, but I didn't realize it was this much. What happens when Bowman comes back?

Hmmm. This is interesting. It would suggest that if Bowman comes back, Wilhoite might play more than Borland? That seems crazy with the way he has played, but certain coaches do tend to favor veterans at the end of the season b/c they don't make "rookie" mistakes. I dunno, was he injured for a brief time to explain why he didn't play 100% of the snaps?

Hmmm. This is interesting. It would suggest that if Bowman comes back, Wilhoite might play more than Borland? That seems crazy with the way he has played, but certain coaches do tend to favor veterans at the end of the season b/c they don't make "rookie" mistakes. I dunno, was he injured for a brief time to explain why he didn't play 100% of the snaps?
I haven't really seen anything, but just off what I've read I don't think they've asked borland to cover much.

they might have 2 guys on the field, but each guy might have somewhat different responsibilities, and I think wilhoite might be the willis to borland's bowman.

Safety Craig Dahl entered when the 49ers went to their dime (six-defensive back) defense. He played 15 snaps.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article3978795.html#storylink=cpy
borland played 58/70, so he missed 12 snaps, and I'd guess those were probably dime snaps where they preferred wilhoite as a coverage guy, but I'm just pulling that out of my ###.

Chris Borland, ILB: +1.9

Breakdown: He’s human! Well, almost. Three missed tackles in the run game are all that kept Borland from his fourth straight monster game. A low six tackles for Borland, but all six were stops and two of his missed tackles would have gone for stops had they been fulfilled. Six games is a small sample size, but there’s little doubt Borland is already among the upper echelon at the position.

Signature Play: Blitzing inside linebackers rarely get the upper hand of offensive linemen in 1-on-1 situations. That’s what makes Borland’s pass rush with 11:22 left in the fourth quarter so impressive. Kory Lichtensteiger slid protection to his right and was in perfect position to block Borland when the rookie linebacker hit a spin move on him that caused a pressure and induced a holding penalty that brought back the third down conversion.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/11/24/refo-redskins-49ers-week-12/

Users who are viewing this thread