What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Thompson - JAX Jaguars - RB (4 Viewers)

RB2 with upside this week.

Saints off a bye might be the ultimate Chris Thompson game script.

Saw some info suggesting Thompson is about ready to return.

I dropped Peterson since he’s run out of gas and hasn’t been catching many passes aside from the good outlier game a couple weeks back.

The shoulder knock Peterson took keeping him out of the fourth quarter was the last straw.  He’s done from my perspective.

Also interested in if Thompson has a rapport with McCoy at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thompson should be a good flex in PPR leagues down the stretch assuming he's fully healthy. Not sure I'd have the stones to start him this weekend though, I'd wanna see how he looks and how he's utilized first. 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Right, Monday game is good for a speculative add and can be dumped to get the jump on next week’s wire.  I like having an out or two.

Also interested in if Thompson has a rapport with McCoy at all.
This, to me, is what makes Thompson interesting. Though I had figured Alex "Check Down" Smith would be a good fit with Thompson, that did not seem to be the case while they were on the field together.  I just added Thompson to the bench to see if McCoy might give Thompson a bit more attention.

• Smile
This, to me, is what makes Thompson interesting. Though I had figured Alex "Check Down" Smith would be a good fit with Thompson, that did not seem to be the case while they were on the field together.  I just added Thompson to the bench to see if McCoy might give Thompson a bit more attention.
Please elaborate?  Thompson was averaging 6.5 recpts/game in his first four games with Smith.

Rotoworld earlier this afternoon:

“Redskins coach Jay Gruden believes Chris Thompson (ribs) will be "fine" to play Week 13 against the Eagles.

Thompson resumed practicing earlier this week and appears to be on track for Monday night's game in Philadelphia. "When you watch him run there is no issue," said Gruden. "I think he’ll be fine." Assuming he returns from a four-game absence, Thompson will function as a passing-down complement to early-down hammer Adrian Peterson.”

Picked him up.

"When you watch him run there is no issue," said Gruden. "I think he’ll be fine."
What a dumb comment. 
Running wasn't his problem...........it was the multiple broken ribs (or whatever rib problem it was) and the thought of getting hit that was the problem.

I have held onto him...........but as said above, it's a MON night game so it's better to wait and see for week 13 and make a better decision for Wks 14+
Wk 14:  NYG
Wk15:  @Jax
Wk16:  @TEN

Bibbs has done a pretty nice job whenever Peterson went off, but I figured Thompson coming back would make picking up Bibbs an un-shark move.

Maybe Gruden was actually talking about Jamison...

Phantom Knight said:

PhantomJB said:
Please elaborate?  Thompson was averaging 6.5 recpts/game in his first four games with Smith.
I did some digging and it seems my impression does not equal the reality.  Probably being burned previously playing against Thompson and KC "rbs" and "check down" Alex Smith's reputation jaded my expectations (sigh).

Here is what I found looking at passing targets which is really what I was considering when looking at Thompson:

2017 Thompson: 5.4
2018 Thompson: 6.8  (5 games [8 weeks] and one game with 14 targets looms large in such a small sample size. Without that game, the average drops to 5)

Meanwhile rbs "benefitting" from "Check down" in KC... Here, I looked at 2016 and 2017.  For 2016, I did what *I* consider to be "fair" in evaluating rb production that might translate to Alex Smith in Washington. Namely, I totaled Spencer Ware and Charcandrick West's targets (my thinking that Chris Thompson was likely to get "all" rb targets and not split with another rb as Ware/West did.  Further and I can see some disagreeing with me, I included hald of Tyreke Hill's targets as I am thinking many of the routes he ran would be run by Thompson in Washington (I am quite open to someone proving me wrong here as this is based off my perception and not off of deep analysis).  Even so, the results are not as favorable as I had expected.

2016: Ware (3) + West (2.2): 5.2
2016: Ware (3) + West (2.2) + Hill (2.5):  7.8
2017: Hunt: 4.2

So to me, at least, the numbers say that Thompson has gotten about what was to be expected from Alex Smith and I was chasing rainbows.  That said, as the saying goes, hope springs eternal and I am willing to leave the recently picked up Thompson at the end of my bench in the hopes that he will become the real McCoy.  :)

I wish we knew if he was going to get full usage like he did to start the year. After losing both Fournette and Hunt I could really use him but not sure if he will be eased back in. Washington is still in a playoff battle so they may need to lean on him as AD seems to be losing steam as the season goes on.

I wish we knew if he was going to get full usage like he did to start the year. After losing both Fournette and Hunt I could really use him but not sure if he will be eased back in. Washington is still in a playoff battle so they may need to lean on him as AD seems to be losing steam as the season goes on.
My money would be on he’s eased in only because he couldn’t really stay in game shape while he’s been out.  One interview I read he was talking about how standing in a single position for too long was painful so I doubt he was doing much in the way of conditioning.

Latest injury report shows Peterson as limited all week (including today) and is questionable.  Thompson full participant all week.

:oldunsure:

Debating on him vs. Riddick in the flex this week.
Riddick has been very consistent. You don't know what you're going to get out of Thompson. If I was going to start Thompson over Riddick I'd need to be way down, hoping for one of those explosive games you can get from him. But if you need to be assured of a higher floor, Riddick is the guy.

• Smile
Chris Thompson said he is feeling as healthy as he has in a while.

Thompson missed six games last season with an injury to his ribs, but his ankle is a bigger long-term concern. Thompson said the ankle "feels a whole lot better," although he is still dealing with some soreness. With Adrian Peterson and Derrius Guice ahead of him on the depth chart, Thompson could struggle to produce consistent fantasy value, but he is an important piece of Washington's offense when healthy.

SOURCE: The Athletic

May 30, 2019, 9:29 AM ET

Does anyone know how early in the game Guice went out? Trying to figure how much time he had as lead, since Peterson will be playing. I may also start (in flex) him since I have the luck of Mixon, Coleman and Shepard in one league.

Does anyone know how early in the game Guice went out? Trying to figure how much time he had as lead, since Peterson will be playing. I may also start (in flex) him since I have the luck of Mixon, Coleman and Shepard in one league.
Guice played the whole game.  He had knee pain after the game and got it checked out and they found the tear.  Thompson was used how he will be used.....in catch up mode as the passing down back.  Most of his catches came on the final couple of drives when Washington was way behind. 

Contemplating Thompson as a better play than Sanders or Howard (who also compete with Sproles for touches). May be crazy but he did have 10 targets last week.

Chris Thompson rushed seven times for 29 yards and caught 4-of-5 targets for 78 yards in the Redskins' Week 3 loss to the Bears.

It was a productive PPR night for Thompson, though it was definitely aided by garbage time where Thompson registered his longest catch-and-run of the evening for 33 yards. It also happened to be the Redskins' longest play from scrimmage. Thompson is averaging 5.3 catches for 64.7 yards through three games. He's 100% worth owning in PPR leagues ahead of Week 4 against the Giants. He's the pass-game back for an offense that will always be chasing on the scoreboard.

Sep 23, 2019, 11:54 PM ET

I would be interested to see how he would do as the featured back for the Skins.. I think he is to versatile to not play more, especially in that offense.. ADP was great, but he doesn't have much left.

I would be interested to see how he would do as the featured back for the Skins.. I think he is to versatile to not play more, especially in that offense.. ADP was great, but he doesn't have much left.
I think he's too small combined with that injury history. Last night it seems like he literally bounced backwards when running into a lineman. He's just not built for 20 carries a game, even if he's similar size to someone like Phillip LIndsay, he's just a different animal. Let AD get in there and soften up some holes for him.

Great guy to have on your roster in PPR for sure.

I think he's too small combined with that injury history. Last night it seems like he literally bounced backwards when running into a lineman. He's just not built for 20 carries a game, even if he's similar size to someone like Phillip LIndsay, he's just a different animal. Let AD get in there and soften up some holes for him.

Great guy to have on your roster in PPR for sure.
He's right at his ceiling IMO. And that's fine with me. Stay healthy, kid. And Jay, don't. Just don't. 

thompson a strong play this week against the Pats, even in standard?  Seems like a great game script for him with Washington likely playing from a big hole again.

Think he can have a decent game this week? In PPR he's been serviceable, but not exactly dynamic. It would be nice to see a TD for a change, though...

Chris Thompson caught 7-of-8 targets for 43 yards in Week 14 against the Packers.

Thompson had an expanded role with Derrius Guice (leg) leaving in the first half. He didn't see any carries but his eight targets led the Redskins. If Paul Richardson and Trey Quinn don't return next week and Guice misses time, Thompson will be a FLEX play for Week 15 against the Eagles.
If Guice is out he would see his role expand.

Jaguars sign RB Chris Thompson, formerly of the Redskins.

Thompson will be rejoining OC Jay Gruden with this signing, and he should push Leonard Fournette for third-down duties immediately. Thompson has averaged 3.4 receptions per game over the last five seasons -- all with Gruden as his head coach -- and Fournette was 181st out of 199 qualifiers in fantasy points per target in 2019. It's clear the organization is ready to move on from Fournette in one way or another. Thompson, Ryquell Armstead, and Devine Ozigbo are behind the former first-rounder on the depth chart.

RELATED: 

Leonard Fournette

, Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Jeremy Folwer on Twitter

May 1, 2020, 3:39 PM ET

Anyone think this guy could be a late round PPR guy? I know Fournette had a bunch of catches last year but with Jay Gruden in Jacksonville, and a bad defense, they might likely be playing catch up a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread