What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Classic Album Discussion Thread: The Kinks-Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Pt. 1 (1 Viewer)

In honor of Spinal Tap I went to 11. I have a tremendously difficult time narrowing it down, and tomorrow the list could be different but my top 10 (11) favorite classic rock albums:

Tommy – The Who

Exile on Main Street – The Rolling Stones

Pet Sounds – The Beach Boys

Blood on the Tracks – Bob Dylan

Revolver – The Beatles

Animals – Pink Floyd

Layla (and other Assorted Love Songs) – Derek and the Dominoes

Shootout at the Fantasy Factory – Traffic

Working Man’s Dead – The Grateful Dead

Hunky Dory – David Bowie

A Night At the Opera – Queen

Where do some of the "prog" bands fit here? YES (just saw them last week - really good), ELP, Rush, Genesis, etc? They all have a few songs that get played heavily on any station that calls itself Classic Rock. But so do the Cars, and there's clearly a debate about them. 

As far as older bands making good music, Rush's last few albums were quality.  

Nobody seems to like that, including the band. I had a friend who saw them about 5 years ago and told me they didn’t do any of the 80s songs. 

But I have to admit I kind of like them. I don’t love them the way I love their 70s classics, but I like them, particularly “These Dreams”. 
I can still enjoy Passionworks or Heart, though both have some skippable filler.

Bad Animals was a substantial step down, basically being only two tracks deep.

Where do some of the "prog" bands fit here? YES (just saw them last week - really good), ELP, Rush, Genesis, etc? They all have a few songs that get played heavily on any station that calls itself Classic Rock. But so do the Cars, and there's clearly a debate about them. 

Rush's final album will be my favorite

Love the thread idea since I love rock music. 

As a heavy metal kid, I hated classic rock except for the heavy hitters like Zep and Aerosmith.  My parents listened to classic rock at home and in the car so I heard my share though. 

Eventually though, I did come to appreciate a lot of classic rock and Boston Boston is one of my favorite classic rock albums.  "Side 1" is one of the best sides of music ever.  I listen to it at least once a month and sometimes almost weekly.  Some people don't like Boston Boston because it is so polished sounding but that is probably why I like it.  It feels right for the music.   

While I really like a lot of Heart songs, I do not like them enough to have ever bought any of their music.  Wilson's vocals are killer and Heart did write some great songs.

Top 10 in no exact order

Hendrix- Are You Experienced

The Who- Who's Next

The Band- Music from Big Pink

Led Zeppelin- IV

Rolling Stones- Beggars Banquet

Bruce- Born to Run

Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms (it is post 80s, but again they played it on the classic rock station growing up and I think Dire fits much more in the stylings of 70s rock than any kind of rock movement of the 80s)

The Cars- The Cars

Rubber Soul- The Beatles

Rumours- Fleetwood Mac
That’s a great list. 

Rubber Soul is more pop for me  than classic rock, but that may be due to radio programming. 

In my younger days, local FM radio had classic rock or hard rock stations and “oldies” stations. Anything by the Beatles that was prior to Sgt Pepper was consigned to the “oldies” stations. Classic rock begins with Sgt Pepper (or perhaps with Bob Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone” from 1966.) 

this would exclude Pet Sounds as well. Now I don’t know why this is; in retrospect it seems very arbritrary. But the stations did have their rules. 

In honor of Spinal Tap I went to 11. I have a tremendously difficult time narrowing it down, and tomorrow the list could be different but my top 10 (11) favorite classic rock albums:

Tommy – The Who

Exile on Main Street – The Rolling Stones

Pet Sounds – The Beach Boys

Blood on the Tracks – Bob Dylan

Revolver – The Beatles

Animals – Pink Floyd

Layla (and other Assorted Love Songs) – Derek and the Dominoes

Shootout at the Fantasy Factory – Traffic

Working Man’s Dead – The Grateful Dead

Hunky Dory – David Bowie

A Night At the Opera – Queen
I love all of these albums with the exception of Animals. Never really got into that. 

Any progressive rock band from the 1970s is part of the classic rock genre. I’m sure we’ll be discussing some of these albums. 

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
assic rock, but that may be due to radio programming. 

In my younger days, local FM radio had classic rock or hard rock stations and “oldies” stations. Anything by the Beatles that was prior to Sgt Pepper was consigned to the “oldies” stations. Classic rock begins with Sgt Pepper (or perhaps with Bob Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone” from 1966.) 
I wasn't sure what to do with Dylan- is it classic rock? Is it folk rock? I wasn't exactly sure so I left him off. 

I never heard Pet Sounds on the classic rock stations where I lived. That was an oldies record, as brilliant as it was. I write this not to contradict Dr. Octopus, but to cement its legacy outside of classic rock, which I grew up just loathing.  

It's weird to be in a classic rock thread when you grew up worshipping Johnny Rotten for wearing an "I hate Pink Floyd" handmade t-shirt. God, did I ever hate the hicks at my school for listening to classic rock. I've mellowed over time. 

I can remember hearing "I Can See For Miles" and asking my friend who that was because it was awesome. He thought I was kidding. 

So are we restricted to discussing the "featured" record here or are we open to general discussion.

Would be interesting to see a listing personal favorites (i.e. everyone's top 10 classic rock albums) - or is that too over-done?
Good idea. There should be plenty of room for both in this thread. 

Roger Fisher, who was the lead guitarist for Heart until 1980, deserves some of the credit here and on subsequent albums. 
I have 'insides' on timmy's first 3 topics (known Cars keyboardist Greg Hawkes since '71 @ Berklee - def new wave, but Ben Orr muddied that a bit) and i can tell you there was NO Svengali to anything the Wilson Sisters have done. Worked & talked extensively with their drummer from high school and, even though they had a folk orientation starting out it was because they didnt conceive going anywhere near past that successfully and that practicewise they were in charge of every note. Bands flesh out songs, if the songwriters were men this wouldnt be an issue.

That’s a great list. 

Rubber Soul is more pop for me  than classic rock, but that may be due to radio programming. 

this would exclude Pet Sounds as well. Now I don’t know why this is; in retrospect it seems very arbritrary. But the stations did have their rules. 
Yea, this still seems to be the case. XM's "Classic Vinyl" doesn't play any early Beatles stuff - that goes on the "60's" channel (or the Beatles Channel). 

Except the Rolling Stones - earlier Stones stuff makes the cut for some reason. 

It's weird to be in a classic rock thread when you grew up worshipping Johnny Rotten for wearing an "I hate Pink Floyd" handmade t-shirt
Hated Punk Floyd mainly from The Wall . A few months ago I listened to the Wish You Were Here album for the 1st time . Love it . Always liked the song but never gave it a listen but because of Spotify I could give it a try

I wasn't sure what to do with Dylan- is it classic rock? Is it folk rock? I wasn't exactly sure so I left him off. 
Well let’s consider how AOR dealt with him. 

In my memory, exactly two songs got radio play  during the AOR era: “Like a Rolling Stone” and “Knocking On Heavens Door”. And that’s it. Any other Dylan tune was consigned to oldies. “Lay Lady Lay”, which was written AFTER “Rolling Stone”, was played on the oldies station. 

Hated Punk Floyd mainly from The Wall . A few months ago I listened to the Wish You Were Here album for the 1st time . Love it . Always liked the song but never gave it a listen but because of Spotify I could give it a try
Do you think you can tell...heaven from hell...blue skies from pain. 

Love that lyric, too.  

I never heard Pet Sounds on the classic rock stations where I lived. That was an oldies record, as brilliant as it was. I write this not to contradict Dr. Octopus, but to cement its legacy outside of classic rock, which I grew up just loathing.  

It's weird to be in a classic rock thread when you grew up worshipping Johnny Rotten for wearing an "I hate Pink Floyd" handmade t-shirt. God, did I ever hate the hicks at my school for listening to classic rock. I've mellowed over time. 

I can remember hearing "I Can See For Miles" and asking my friend who that was because it was awesome. He thought I was kidding. 
Yeah, Beach Boys were always grouped in with oldies around here. Pet Sounds isn't really rock- it is pop imo. 

I have 'insides' on timmy's first 3 topics (known Cars keyboardist Greg Hawkes since '71 @ Berklee - def new wave, but Ben Orr muddied that a bit) and i can tell you there was NO Svengali to anything the Wilson Sisters have done. Worked & talked extensively with their drummer from high school and, even though they had a folk orientation starting out it was because they didnt conceive going anywhere near past that successfully and that practicewise they were in charge of every note. Bands flesh out songs, if the songwriters were men this wouldnt be an issue.
I defer to your knowledge, WP but in praising Fisher I wasn’t trying to detract from the Wilson’s in any way. I just love his guitar work, particularly on Magic Man, which reminds me strongly of “Whole Lotta Love” (deliberately)? 

Can you imagine being seventeen and hearing the DJ come on the radio and tell you you're about to get another "rock block" while you reach for the cassette -- likely Jane's Addiction or Lou Reed -- at your control?

Yeah, that's my year of 1991 in my first ride in high school when I was cool. Now I've mellowed. Love the rock blocks. Better than mumblecore or 25 hits in the top 100 from one album. 

Here are some other performers that are not truly considered “classic rock” yet got a song or two on classic rock stations: 

Jimmy Buffet- Margaritaville

Linda Ronstadt- You’re No Good

The Hollies- Long Cool Woman

That’s just off the top of my head. There are probably lotof other examples. 

Here are some other performers that are not truly considered “classic rock” yet got a song or two on classic rock stations: 

Jimmy Buffet- Margaritaville

Linda Ronstadt- You’re No Good

The Hollies- Long Cool Woman

That’s just off the top of my head. There are probably lotof other examples. 
Haven’t heard any of these on classic rock in Boston. I’d be shocked to hear Buffet on the format anywhere 

Haven’t heard any of these on classic rock in Boston. I’d be shocked to hear Buffet on the format anywhere 
I've def heard Buffet on c-rock stations. No other way I hear of him, unless it's on 91.1 off the dial ####e.  

Fish, baby, fish!  GIANT TUNA!

Can we make this a catch-all for all things radio, because I have some bowels of the dial I'd like to discuss?

This is all 95-98 or 101-107 FM stuff. There's some gorgeous stuff out there on the dials. 

I've def heard Buffet on c-rock stations. No other way I hear of him, unless it's on 91.1 off the dial ####e.  

Fish, baby, fish!  GIANT TUNA!
It’s funny how locations have differences.Heard him on 105 & 106 in Boston but definitely not 100.7

Can we make this a catch-all for all things radio, because I have some bowels of the dial I'd like to discuss?

This is all 95-98 or 101-107 FM stuff. There's some gorgeous stuff out there on the dials. 
I’d prefer not. I’m trying not to be a stickler on Rules but let’s at least try to keep this about classic rock, whatever that means. 

You’ve never heard Margaritaville on your classic rock station? That surprises me. It’s a staple here. 
There are classic rock stations that lean toward "soft rock" a bit -- you'll hear "Margaritaville", lighter Eagles and Fleetwood Mac cuts, Bob Welch, Seals & Croft, etc.

There are also the opposite -- classic rock stations that lean hard, which seem to have driven most of the lighter stations off the dial (or else into repackaged formats that drop the 'classic rock' label). Classic rock stations around here now have plenty of Kiss, Rainbow, Def Leppard, and 80s hair metal. They've also incorporated 90s grunge in small doses.

I’d prefer not. I’m trying not to be a stickler on Rules but let’s at least try to keep this about classic rock, whatever that means. 
Tim, I'm kidding. I'm literally LOL'ing right now  :lmao: . I'm ####in' around. Can you imagine me trying to start a thread around here about the bowels of the radio and how many hits that would get? I'm thinking television preachers and R&B, and you've gone AOR rock. 

:lmao:

Tim, I'm kidding. I'm literally LOL'ing right now  :lmao: . I'm ####in' around. Can you imagine me trying to start a thread around here about the bowels of the radio and how many hits that would get? I'm thinking television preachers and R&B, and you've gone AOR rock. 

:lmao:
IMO the “hard rock” factor of the Carpenters disappeared after Karen relinquished her drumming duties. That’s why we don’t include them in this genre. 

COLLEGE RADIO STARTS AT ABOUT 88 ON YOUR FM DIAL. 

ADJUST ACCORDINGLY. 
WERS , 88.9 is Emerson college radio. When FNX took the dirt nap they went big time in the morning from 6-10 , totally eclectic, classic rock and punk and current stuff that’s ignored today . After that you might get acapella/Jewish folk or just about anything. 

I defer to your knowledge, WP but in praising Fisher I wasn’t trying to detract from the Wilson’s in any way. I just love his guitar work, particularly on Magic Man, which reminds me strongly of “Whole Lotta Love” (deliberately)? 
no doubt. it''s just that having worked with several female rock crossover artists of that era, i pounce on any hint that they were manmade in any way. quite the opposite was true in most cases - i knew female artists whose careers were destroyed by standing their ground on how they wanted to cross over and many more who got pigeonholed by is-she-the-new-Janis? or can-she-be-the-next-Ronstadt bull####, not to mention "turdpolish"ing producers they had to fight past to get their sound right.

I once wrote a prog song, back in high school. It was called “Eye of the August Moon: You Were the First Centurion Part 17”. There was going to be a 55 minute drum solo. 

WERS , 88.9 is Emerson college radio. When FNX took the dirt nap they went big time in the morning from 6-10 , totally eclectic, classic rock and punk and current stuff that’s ignored today . After that you might get acapella/Jewish folk or just about anything. 
I think my cousin's kid goes to Emerson. He's self-declared as gay but they don't necessarily believe it. My friend went to Emerson. Her friend was gay. 

Film school, right?  

88.9!

no doubt. it''s just that having worked with several female rock crossover artists of that era, i pounce on any hint that they were manmade in any way. quite the opposite was true in most cases - i knew female artists whose careers were destroyed by standing their ground on how they wanted to cross over and many more who got pigeonholed by is-she-the-new-Janis? or can-she-be-the-next-Ronstadt bull####, not to mention "turdpolish"ing producers they had to fight past to get their sound right.
I’ve read plenty about that. 

As much as I’m not especially a fan of her musical choices, you have to credit Madonna for essentially breaking all the rules that women had to deal with in the music business. She changed the way things were done. 

Hopefully this isn't mucking the thread, and not really relevant to anything, but i remember my small group of tight friends who were music "purists" (I guess that's as good a descriptor as anything). To these guys (who had a garage band and played at graduation parties) only guitar rock was legitimate music. They mercilessly mocked anything else. 

I started college with these guys-roomed together-and our first time going into the college pub (right in the dorm complex) we saw all these NYC/LI kids out dancing to "Rock Lobster". I had never heard such a thing. Out in the sticks where we grew up they didn't play that kind of music. We listened to all the classic rock bands, Cream, Yardbirds, etc. Talk about culture shock. This was 1980, I believe that was roughly when "New Wave" became a thing.

One of these friends became kind of a hard core punk rock guy a few years later, black leather, Mohawk. 

There are classic rock stations that lean toward "soft rock" a bit -- you'll hear "Margaritaville", lighter Eagles and Fleetwood Mac cuts, Bob Welch, Seals & Croft, etc.

There are also the opposite -- classic rock stations that lean hard, which seem to have driven most of the lighter stations off the dial (or else into repackaged formats that drop the 'classic rock' label). Classic rock stations around here now have plenty of Kiss, Rainbow, Def Leppard, and 80s hair metal. They've also incorporated 90s grunge in small doses.
I feel like the Detroit station mixed all of that it. We got Sabbath, VH, Eagles, Seals + Croft.

So I just gave this album a listen while working for the 1st time. I don’t get it , was familiar with the 2 hits , I like Sing Child Simg but other than those 3 songs I’m not a fan. Now granted it was only one listen while multitasking. What is the deal with the ocean sounds on a few songs, was this some concept attempt? 

You can

hear the Wilson sisters talent shine through

timschochet said:
Greetings everyone, I am hoping to engage in a classic rock thread , purely what we used to call album oriented rock (AOR) from the classic era (roughly 1966-1980)- no other genres like punk or thrash or new wave, no heavy metal (unless it’s  Black Sabbath)- purely the classics. 

I want to start with the album Boston from 1976, written and produced by Tom Scholz in his basement. Here are the tracks: 

Side One

1. More Than a Feeling

2. Peace of Mind

3. Foreplay/Long Time

Side Two

1. Rock and Roll Band

2. Smokin’

3. Hitch a Ride

4. Something About You

5. Let Me Take You Home Tonight

A wonderful album to listen to; I’ve thought that for over 40 years. My favorite song is “Hitch a Ride” but overall side 1 is better than side 2; Side 1, may in fact be the best rock music to come out of the 70s, perhaps. The band was never this good again, not even close. 

Thoughts? 
Solid album. Hitch a Ride is a great track and also my favorite. More Than a Feeling is iconic classic rock, in that it was a great tune and seriously overplayed. 

Also, great use of the "clap machine" (forgive my ignorance on how they added the clapping on those tracks).

Solid album. Hitch a Ride is a great track and also my favorite. More Than a Feeling is iconic classic rock, in that it was a great tune and seriously overplayed. 

Also, great use of the "clap machine" (forgive my ignorance on how they added the clapping on those tracks).
I liked this album but MTAF was sooo overplayed from the get-go. I got tired of it pretty quickly (and this is from someone who still isn't tired of Stairway to Heaven). My favorite Boston song is "A Man I'll Never Be" which likely puts me on an island. It's actually the only Boston song I have on my YouTube list and I still blast it in my garage almost weekly when I'm out listening to music.

Next up, from 1975:

Queen- A Night At the Opera

Side One

Death on Two Legs

Lazing on A Sunday Afternoon

I'm In Love With My Car

You're My Best Friend

Sweet Lady

Seaside Rendezvous

Side Two

The Prophet's Song

Love of My Life

Good Company

Bohemian Rhapsody

God Save the Queen

I'll offer the Allmusic write up for this one:

Queen were straining at the boundaries of hard rock and heavy metal on Sheer Heart Attack, but they broke down all the barricades on A Night at the Opera, a self-consciously ridiculous and overblown hard rock masterpiece. Using the multi-layered guitars of its predecessor as a foundation, A Night at the Opera encompasses metal ("Death on Two Legs," "Sweet Lady"), pop (the lovely, shimmering "You're My Best Friend"), campy British music hall ("Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon," "Seaside Rendezvous"), and mystical prog rock ("'39," "The Prophet's Song"), eventually bringing it all together on the pseudo-operatic "Bohemian Rhapsody." In short, it's a lot like Queen's own version of Led Zeppelin IV, but where Zep find dark menace in bombast, Queen celebrate their own pomposity. No one in the band takes anything too seriously, otherwise the arrangements wouldn't be as ludicrously exaggerated as they are. But the appeal -- and the influence -- of A Night at the Opera is in its detailed, meticulous productions. It's prog rock with a sense of humor as well as dynamics, and Queen never bettered their approach anywhere else.

There's a lot more to say about this, especially in regards to the individual songs. I'll offer my thoughts, as I can, throughout the day. 

Users who are viewing this thread