What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Classic Album Discussion Thread: The Kinks-Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Pt. 1 (1 Viewer)

So I’m listening to side 1 right now. On Apple music they don’t allow you to listen to each part of side 1 separately: it’s all one 20 minute song. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m still on the overture, which is rather lengthy. Obviously Rush is the not the first band pretentious enough to feature an overture- that honor might fall to The Who with Tommy. But the overture in Tommy is similar to a Broadway overture in that it previews melodies from the album- I don’t think this does that. 

I’m still on the overture, which is rather lengthy. Obviously Rush is the not the first band pretentious enough to feature an overture- that honor might fall to The Who with Tommy. But the overture in Tommy is similar to a Broadway overture in that it previews melodies from the album- I don’t think this does that. 
Yes, it does preview the individual parts.

Now onto Geddy’s vocals. They certainly are an acquired taste. I’m not sure I’ve really done so. 

I cant make out what he’s saying here; he’s screeching very quickly. Sounds angry. I’m going to have to look up the lyrics later. 

Things have slowed down a bit now. 

timschochet said:
Bohemian Rhapsody

Probably the only Queen song that I skip past whoever I hear it, not because I dislike it but because it’s so overplayed. But what fascinates me is that this song has, more than any other, become the most famous song of the classic rock era. 

That took some time to happen. If you had asked me in the 80s or 90s, what is THE song of classic rock, I would have answered fairly quickly, “Stairway to Heaven”. If pressed for a second song I might have come up with “Hotel California” or perhaps “Hey Jude”. “Bohemian Rhapsody” would have been much farther down the list; in fact I might not even have mentioned it as Queen’s most famous song, choosing instead “We Will Rock You” since it was appropriated by American sports. 

But this has all changed, and the proof is my teenage daughters and their friends. They’ve certainly all heard the songs I just listed above, but none of them are as immediately recognizable as Bohemian Rhapsody. In fact, my daughters and their friends know this song word for word- I’ve witnessed it. They all seem to love it. It’s arguably become the most ubiquitous song from the 1970s, regardless of genre, period. 

So strange. 
I may be way off base on this but I personally attribute a good bit of the popularity of BR to Wayne’s World epic movie scene.  I mean, I was familiar with the song but that scene it’s etched in my brain any time I hear the song.  That kind of revitalized it and people all over started using it in homemade videos and other places.  That’s my observation of the popularity that has extended until today.  

Now onto Geddy’s vocals. They certainly are an acquired taste. I’m not sure I’ve really done so. 

I cant make out what he’s saying here; he’s screeching very quickly. Sounds angry. I’m going to have to look up the lyrics later. 

Things have slowed down a bit now. 
He said the Priests are the overlords of the society. They pick everything for you, music, art, etc. The first side chronicles how an individual tries to cope with this when the individual finds a guitar, learns how to play it, and then takes his music to the Priests.

He said the Priests are the overlords of the society. They pick everything for you, music, art, etc. The first side chronicles how an individual tries to cope with this when the individual finds a guitar, learns how to play it, and then takes his music to the Priests.
Thanks. I’m just reading that now. Also about the elder race of man being destroyed. 

What are the temples of syrinx? 

Thanks. I’m just reading that now. Also about the elder race of man being destroyed. 

What are the temples of syrinx? 
Where the Overlord Priests are. They are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx. All the gifts of life are held within their walls. They pick everything for you as the individual. The songs you sing, the pictures that bring pleasure to your eye.

Spoiler alert: it doesn't end well for the individual who finds the guitar "that has wires that vibrate and give music" when he takes his music to the Priests.

2112 is my favorite Rush album, followed by Hemispheres and A Farewell To Kings.

i have to admit I haven't heard any of their newer stuff. (I think I recall reading positive reviews of a few more recent releases)

Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures from Rush could have also be up for discussion. Those albums contain individual songs that may lend better to the thread. 2112 is a bit of storytelling. I particularly enjoy "Lessons" from the album. 

I may be way off base on this but I personally attribute a good bit of the popularity of BR to Wayne’s World epic movie scene.  I mean, I was familiar with the song but that scene it’s etched in my brain any time I hear the song.  That kind of revitalized it and people all over started using it in homemade videos and other places.  That’s my observation of the popularity that has extended until today.  
One of my first cassette's ever was of Queen's greatest hits. Being a kid, most of my first exposure's to Queen was through movie soundtrack's such as We Are the Champions at the end of Revenge of the Nerds, but I was hugely into the soundtracks for Flash Gordon and Highlander (as well as totally geeked about the movies themselves.) Imagine my surprise as I got older and started talking music with other guys and they would look at me like a crazy person when I would bring up Queen.

Then Wayne's World came out and a whole new generation fell in love with Queen and they were cool again. Since then BR is one of those songs that you always hear at weddings, karaoke, and tons of other places/events for the last few decades.

When I was a senior in high school, my band rehearsed the crap out of parts I, II, and VII of 2112 (Overture, Temples of Syrinx, Grand Finale) for a couple of weeks leading up to our school's big talent show. Some friends made multiple flash pots ready to blast at the end of Grand Finale. We got it sounding really tight, and were pumped to bring it and blow away faces with our awesomeness.

The day before the show, the director did an event run through/rehearsal on the stage with all of the acts. After a skit, a gymnastics routine, a talented singer covering "I Will Always Love You," and a few other lesser presentations, we got on the stage to set up and proceeded to lay down the thunder with a nine-and-a-half-minute medley of pure 2112 majesty. When it was over, we let the last chords and drum hits echo and fade throughout the auditorium, bathing in our own greatness that we surely cemented then and there in front of our peers and some teachers.

The director, sitting in the fourth row, lowered his head, looked at us from above his glasses frame, and said "You guys didn't read the instructions, did you? No act can go longer than five minutes.You're gonna have to cut that down or do something else."

Wait . . . what? We damn-near blew this guy's mustache off with some legendary Rush rock and he's going to bark at us about time restrictions? We're closing the show! We're seniors! My God!!

Well, after some whiny "but . . . but . . . can't we just . . ." etc., we were left with no choice. We decided to play another song, and though we played Rush's "Dreamline" the previous year, this year we hadn't rehearsed anything else by Rush, and with only 28 hours til the show, we couldn't get our other favorites ready in time. So we quickly rehearsed some alternatives and wound up with an okay rendition of "Don't Stand So Close To Me," by The Police. Great band, great song. But due to our lack of rehearsal, the energy wasn't as high, the sound didn't pummel the audience as intended, and we didn't have the reckless abandon that confidence brings.

Still, the flash pots at the end exploded like clockwork and pissed the audience off!

timschochet said:
Bohemian Rhapsody

Probably the only Queen song that I skip past whoever I hear it, not because I dislike it but because it’s so overplayed. But what fascinates me is that this song has, more than any other, become the most famous song of the classic rock era. 

That took some time to happen. If you had asked me in the 80s or 90s, what is THE song of classic rock, I would have answered fairly quickly, “Stairway to Heaven”. If pressed for a second song I might have come up with “Hotel California” or perhaps “Hey Jude”. “Bohemian Rhapsody” would have been much farther down the list; in fact I might not even have mentioned it as Queen’s most famous song, choosing instead “We Will Rock You” since it was appropriated by American sports. 

But this has all changed, and the proof is my teenage daughters and their friends. They’ve certainly all heard the songs I just listed above, but none of them are as immediately recognizable as Bohemian Rhapsody. In fact, my daughters and their friends know this song word for word- I’ve witnessed it. They all seem to love it. It’s arguably become the most ubiquitous song from the 1970s, regardless of genre, period. 

So strange. 
Decent chance this might be because of it "regaining" popularity from Wayne's World.

I don't think any other album had a bigger influence on me than 2112. While my infatuation with the band faded after Signals, only Zeppelin came close to matching Rush in my high school years. I remember my brother coming into my room, pleading with me to stop playing 2112. :D

I'm familiar with this material, so i thought my time would be better spent laying my junk on the nearest sill and repeatedly slamming a window down on it. My head will clear for further response pretty soon....

I just saw the trailer for Bohemian Rhapsody, which comes out in November. The guy from Mr Robot is Freddie. Looks outstanding. 
There is talk that the song will reenter the top 20 for a 3rd time once the movie comes out ... once originally, once again when WW came out, and likely again because of this movie.

It was actually 2011 that I saw the Time Machine concert in the dome in New Orleans. There were two movies- 1 at the beginning and 1 at the beginning of the second part of the show. They are both easy to find on Youtube: RASH

Yzz is my favorite Rush song and I like Moving Pictures better than 2112. Here is the playlist from that show:

Intro Video (The 'Real' History of Rush Episode No. 2 "Don't Be Rash")

"The Spirit of Radio"

"Time Stand Still"

"Presto"

"Stick It Out"

"Workin' Them Angels"

"Leave That Thing Alone"

"Faithless"

"BU2B (Brought Up to Believe)" (from Clockwork Angels)

"Freewill"

"Marathon"

"Subdivisions"

Intermission

Second Set Intro Video (The 'Real' History of Rush Episode No. 17 "...and Rock and Roll is my name.")

"Tom Sawyer"

"Red Barchetta"

"YYZ"

"Limelight"

"The Camera Eye"

"Witch Hunt"

"Vital Signs"

"Caravan" (from Clockwork Angels)

"Moto Perpetuo/Love for Sale" (drum solo)

"O'Malley's Break"/"Closer to the Heart" (with alternative outro)

"2112"

I: Overture

II: The Temples of Syrinx

"Far Cry"

Encore:

"La Villa Strangiato" (with polka intro)

"Working Man" (with reggae intro)

"Cygnus X-1: Book I" teaser (second leg only)

Time for the next album, and I chose this due to recent discussion: 

Rush- 2112- (1976) 

Side One

2112 (parts 1-7) 

Side Two

A Passage to Bangkok

The Twilight Zone

Lessons

Tears

Something for Nothing

I also considered Moving Pictures, which Ulitmateclassicrock.com ranks as their #1 Rush album, directly above this one. But this is album that the fans seem to prefer. Thoughts? 
I'm one of the rare people that don't love or hate Rush. When the mood strikes I can enjoy them, but they could never be a "heavy rotation" band for me. This a pretty ambitious record but I can't ever see me listening to it from start to finish again.

It's no secret about my adoration of this band called Rush. A couple of Jewish guys from Toronto who found this shy, anti-social of a monster drummer in Neil Peart. 

My first exposure to Rush was when I lived for one year in Austin Texas. I moved there in the summer of 1981 from Miami Beach. My mom remarried (my parents divorced at age 9) to a guy who wanted to start a microwave business and she sold the only home I ever knew in Miami Beach and moved my 6 year old sister and 6 month old sister and I to Austin, Texas. I was the new kid on the block, at school and on the baseball field. 

I had a huge curiosity of playing guitar. Growing up I loved Kiss....and when I was not outside playing baseball, I used to pretend to be Ace or Paul, jamming on tennis raquets while blasting Kiss Alive and Kiss Alive II. I made a really good friend on my block that year. A kid named Brad. We built a 3 story tree house in his back yard, had rubber band gun wars with other kids, played baseball together in little league and played intellvision baseball ad nausea everyday. Well one day his older sister (she was 16 and pretty freaking hot) came home with an album named Moving Pictures by a band named Rush. She dropped the needle and Tom Sawyer blazed through the speakers. I was like....yeah! But wait.....all of a sudden while reading the inner jacket lyrics the subtle harmonics of this guy Alex Lifeson starts to creep in and a story about a car called Red Barchetta began.

My life changed forever.

Rush became my obsession, my passion and I begged my mom to buy me a guitar. 37 years later I am still playing and creating music, but more importantly the inspiration Rush's music gave me to succeed in baseball, school, and life can't be stressed enough.

Music has that power. It truly can be said.....music can change the world if we let it. I know I let it change me...and the music of Rush to this day still inspires me. Some scoff at Rush....and I get it. It is not for everyone. But the fact of the matter remains that their influence on millions is undeniable. And you can say that about so many different bands across many genres. My perspective of their music came from a musicians point of view. Their evolution is stark. What made them so interesting was their progression from a hard rock riff band to an accomplished new wave/progressive/pop/rock band...then back to that core hard rock trio at the very end of their career. Their last album Clockwork Angels for me....brought it all full circle. That album encompasses all their styles they went through from 1974-2007. Up's and downs no doubt. But never predictable. I found some their very best work to be their most polarizing albums.

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

That 4 album run saw them lose many of their pioneer fans.....but also gain a whole new generation of fans. 

I got into them with Moving Pictures and worked my way backwards. Which brings us to 2112. My oh my.

So summer of 1982. I am a full bore Rush fan and totally into Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, and then I bought Exit Stage Left, and I proceed to learn that entire album as best as I can on the guitar (I was a fast learner on the 6 string). The microwave business does not work out. My mom moves us back to South Florida and I was actually pretty happy to be "home". I am in baseball camp that summer. 1982. My counselor a 21 year old law student/former college ball player on UM, asks me what kind of music I am into. I told him Rush. He then says "have you ever heard 2112 or Hemispheres? I said no....not yet. He brings me his vinyl and tells me...have at it.

I read the inner jacket of 2112......blown away after the needle dropped. Simply a mind blowing experience. Then Hemispheres? Holy ####.

Smoked my first joint and listened to 2112 front to back.

Majestic.

Anyway. Rush. They are my bag man. Simple as that.

2112 is my favorite Rush album, followed by Hemispheres and A Farewell To Kings.

i have to admit I haven't heard any of their newer stuff. (I think I recall reading positive reviews of a few more recent releases)
I got into Rush when Hemispheres was released. Found 2112 soon after and bought all of their albums. I eagerly anticipated the release of Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures and was not disappointed. I will always remember hearing New World Man on the radio for the first time and thinking...wtf? It was my first experience hating a Rush song. Of course I bought the album and even tried liking Grace Under Pressure and finally gave up on Power Windows. I kept hearing how subsequent albums sounded like "old Rush" but they never did to me. It didn't sour me on the band though because I will always appreciate them for their early years. They went in a different direction and more power to them. They earned it.

I got into Rush when Hemispheres was released. Found 2112 soon after and bought all of their albums. I eagerly anticipated the release of Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures and was not disappointed. I will always remember hearing New World Man on the radio for the first time and thinking...wtf? It was my first experience hating a Rush song. Of course I bought the album and even tried liking Grace Under Pressure and finally gave up on Power Windows. I kept hearing how subsequent albums sounded like "old Rush" but they never did to me. It didn't sour me on the band though because I will always appreciate them for their early years. They went in a different direction and more power to them. They earned it.
This is pretty much me too. I also hated NWM. 

I think the newest song I liked was "Subdivisions" though admittedly I haven't heard most anything from later releases. 

I think the newest song I liked was "Subdivisions" though admittedly I haven't heard most anything from later releases. 
I liked that Big Money song. That was around the time I went to see them. 

Would this help me understand the lyrics better? 

Because, honestly, I was trying to follow Grace Under Pressure’s explanation and I still have no ####### clue what’s going on. 
I believe the song is a metaphor for communism and the subjugation of individuality to the whole. When I was growing up I always thought of it as a sci-fi story of a dystopian future.

I just got done reading a comment elsewhere suggesting it was an adaptation of an Ayn Rand novel "Anthem". I haven't read this so can't comment (only read Atlas Shrugged and Fointainhead).

Still, "Hold the Red Star proudly..." seems a pretty clear reference to communism. The more knowledgeable guys (Ghost Rider, Zamboni, etc) could likely offer more insight.

Subdivisions was on the same album as NWM and was the best song on that album, imo.

I believe the song is a metaphor for communism and the subjugation of individuality to the whole. When I was growing up I always thought of it as a sci-fi story of a dystopian future.

I just got done reading a comment elsewhere suggesting it was an adaptation of an Ayn Rand novel "Anthem". I haven't read this so can't comment (only read Atlas Shrugged and Fointainhead).

Still, "Hold the Red Star proudly..." seems a pretty clear reference to communism. The more knowledgeable guys (Ghost Rider, Zamboni, etc) could likely offer more insight.
I’ve read before that they’re Randians, or that Peart is a Randian. I can see that in the song “Trees”. 

But this obscure stuff- not sure Ayn herself could make sense of it. 

timschochet said:
Next up, from 1975:

Queen- A Night At the Opera

Side One

Death on Two Legs

Lazing on A Sunday Afternoon

I'm In Love With My Car

You're My Best Friend

Sweet Lady

Seaside Rendezvous

Side Two

The Prophet's Song

Love of My Life

Good Company

Bohemian Rhapsody

God Save the Queen

I'll offer the Allmusic write up for this one:

Queen were straining at the boundaries of hard rock and heavy metal on Sheer Heart Attack, but they broke down all the barricades on A Night at the Opera, a self-consciously ridiculous and overblown hard rock masterpiece. Using the multi-layered guitars of its predecessor as a foundation, A Night at the Opera encompasses metal ("Death on Two Legs," "Sweet Lady"), pop (the lovely, shimmering "You're My Best Friend"), campy British music hall ("Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon," "Seaside Rendezvous"), and mystical prog rock ("'39," "The Prophet's Song"), eventually bringing it all together on the pseudo-operatic "Bohemian Rhapsody." In short, it's a lot like Queen's own version of Led Zeppelin IV, but where Zep find dark menace in bombast, Queen celebrate their own pomposity. No one in the band takes anything too seriously, otherwise the arrangements wouldn't be as ludicrously exaggerated as they are. But the appeal -- and the influence -- of A Night at the Opera is in its detailed, meticulous productions. It's prog rock with a sense of humor as well as dynamics, and Queen never bettered their approach anywhere else.

There's a lot more to say about this, especially in regards to the individual songs. I'll offer my thoughts, as I can, throughout the day. 
Hands down my favorite album of all time!

Bohemian Rhapsody is the one that even the casual fan knows but there is so much more to this album. My favorites were Death on Two Legs, '39 and The Prophets Song. Fun fact about '39 that a lot don't clue in on is that it's about space/time travel (no surprise that it's written by Brian).

There was an hour long TV show called "Classic Albums" Queen: A Night at the Opera that discussed each of the songs with input from Brian, Roger & Roy Thomas Baker are the primary contributors.

timschochet said:
All right, Rush story. I was never a huge fan; my late brother worshipped them, thought Neil Pert was the greatest drummer ever (I started a thread about this a few years back.) 

But I liked some of their stuff, so several years ago I went with my brother and his friends to see them. And I have to say that the show was very impressive. Yet while the band was not pretentious, the fans absolutely were. At one point late in the show the band started playing “Tom Sawyer”, and at once a bunch of guys in the audience (it was festival seating where we were) got up. “Where are they going?” I asked, and my brothers friend said to me, rather haughtily, “Oh whenever they play Tom Sawyer the TRUE fans get up and use the john, grab a beer or whatever. The TRUE fans don’t even like this song; it’s for newbies like you.” I laughed. He stared at me all serious; it was obvious I would never get it. 
Interesting. I consider myself a "true" Rush fan and have seen them about 5x. Never had the desire to walk out during Tom Sawyer and never noticed an exodus of notable kind by others. Don't doubt what you're saying but I don't think that's as much a real thing that consistently occurs as much as just an anomaly of d***he bag fans at that particular concert.

I will say that on scale with other Rush songs TS is further down on my list so if I'm feeling like a bathroom break it wouldn't kill me to miss it. My favorite song from that album is Red Barchetta. 

Interesting. I consider myself a "true" Rush fan and have seen them about 5x. Never had the desire to walk out during Tom Sawyer and never noticed an exodus of notable kind by others. Don't doubt what you're saying but I don't think that's as much a real thing that consistently occurs as much as just an anomaly of d***he bag fans at that particular concert.

I will say that on scale with other Rush songs TS is further down on my list so if I'm feeling like a bathroom break it wouldn't kill me to miss it. My favorite song from that album is Red Barchetta. 
If someone cornered me on "give me one representative Rush song", I'd probably have to go with Red Barchetta or The Spirit of Radio.

I’ve read before that they’re Randians, or that Peart is a Randian. I can see that in the song “Trees”. 

Geddy and Alex put Neil in charge of lyrics because he read books. I think Neil took himself very seriously at certain points, and at certain points not so much. But the other two are musicians first and good sense of humor guys, particularly Alex. Having seen them an embarrassing number of times, becoming more familiar with their personalities as they (and I) got older, they stopped taking themselves so seriously and opened up more to their fans. So I wouldn't read too much into their philosophies or their politics or any of that too much. They were 3 individuals with a high level of talent that came together as a tight band, which included having a lead singer with an annoying voice, wearing kimonos, and having songs that encompassed entire sides of albums. And they're Canadian, eh?

Geddy and Alex put Neil in charge of lyrics because he read books. I think Neil took himself very seriously at certain points, and at certain points not so much. But the other two are musicians first and good sense of humor guys, particularly Alex. Having seen them an embarrassing number of times, becoming more familiar with their personalities as they (and I) got older, they stopped taking themselves so seriously and opened up more to their fans. So I wouldn't read too much into their philosophies or their politics or any of that too much. They were 3 individuals with a high level of talent that came together as a tight band, which included having a lead singer with an annoying voice, wearing kimonos, and having songs that encompassed entire sides of albums. And they're Canadian, eh?
But they have a devoted fan base which I’ve only seen rivaled by a very few performers: Grateful Dead, Jimmy Buffett. 

Funny you put up Night at the Opera and 2112. When I was in High School I was into the first 3 albums big - Queen 1 and 2 #######g kill.(Saw them open for Mott the Hoople - killed it) Sheer Heart Attack not bad - but Night at the Opera was when I started checking out from them and glad I did it's got too much junk - and the same with 2112 -- Working Man, Fly By Night , Finding My Way - great crunching guitar numbers on those first records( I saw them in a school gym in early 75) - tunes you could play in the basement/garage - That was real rock to me as a  kid in the Midwest (KSHE 95 Real Rock Radio) but as 2112 got more and more popular and listened and overplayed -  I was tuned out. I don't think I've listened to another Rush record from start to finish since then. Same with Queen.

Pick up Counterparts and Clockwork Angels.

You will not be disappointed. Those are wheelhouse classic Rush albums. That phase of the band you loved (and I loved it too of course) is so prevalent on those two more modern Rush albums.

Funny you put up Night at the Opera and 2112. When I was in High School I was into the first 3 albums big - Queen 1 and 2 #######g kill.(Saw them open for Mott the Hoople - killed it) Sheer Heart Attack not bad - but Night at the Opera was when I started checking out from them and glad I did it's got too much junk - and the same with 2112 -- Working Man, Fly By Night , Finding My Way - great crunching guitar numbers on those first records( I saw them in a school gym in early 75) - tunes you could play in the basement/garage - That was real rock to me as a  kid in the Midwest (KSHE 95 Real Rock Radio) but as 2112 got more and more popular and listened and overplayed -  I was tuned out. I don't think I've listened to another Rush record from start to finish since then. Same with Queen.
Ha! Never thought I'd see this band mentioned. My best friend growing up and roomie for a few years in college loved Mott the Hoople/Ian Hunter. His favorite group. Almost nobody else seemed to even know who they were.

HellToupee said:
I need to mention the performance of  Ultravox’s Midge Ure

Fun Fact-he replaced Gary Moore when he left Thin Lizzy for a year or two
Strange but true. Brian Robertson of Thin Lizzy was with Motorhead for one album. That's how you connect Ultravox with Motorhead.

Peart wouldn't call himself a Randian, but he has said that reading the books influenced quite a few of his lyrics back then--primarily because that's what he was reading when he was writing. 

Still waiting for @timschochet to post a record by the greatest Classic Rock band of all time (and he'll post the wrong one, but beggars can't be choosers), but while he screws around with these second tier acts.......

Rush was never my thing. I was big into prog way before I was ready for it and Rush came along after I was already burnt out (in more ways than one). I never denied their talent, however - those dudes could play. Peart's not what moves me in a drummer and Geddy has never been what I want a singer to be. That said, when they would lock into a groove they were really really good.

Heart was prefab musically, maybe (from a '70s critics' POV), but they had a force-of-nature that no one else at the time in AOR had - Annie. Heart knew how to build a song and "Crazy On You" had to drive Pete Townsend crazy because it was every bit as good as anything he cooked up.

Users who are viewing this thread