What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Classic Album Discussion Thread: The Kinks-Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Pt. 1 (3 Viewers)

timschochet

Footballguy
Albums discussed:

Boston

Heart- Dreamboat Annie

Queen- A Night At the Opera

Rush- 2112

Pink Floyd- The Dark Side of the Moon

Led Zeppelin II

Ted Nugent- “Stranglehold” (Song)

The Beatles (The White Album)

The Steve Miller Band- Greatest Hits 1974-1978

The Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers

Meat Loaf- Bat Out of Hell

Van Halen

David Bowie- The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

The Who- Who’s Next

The Eagles- Hotel California

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers- Damn the Torpedoes

Bruce Springsteen- Born to Run

Black Sabbath- Paranoid

Jethro Tull- Aqualung

The Grateful Dead- American Beauty

AC/DC- Back in Black

Rod Stewart- Every Picture Tells A Story

Fleetwood Mac- Rumours

Kansas- Leftoverture and Point Of Know Return

Prince & The Revolution- Purple Rain

Guns N’ Roses- Appetite for Destruction 

Nirvana- Nevermind

Carole King- Tapestry

Michael Jackson- Thriller

Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin IV

The Clash- London Calling 

Radiohead- OK Computer

Miles Davis- Kind Of Blue

U2- The Joshua Tree

Styx- The Grand illusion and Pieces Of Eight 

The Beatles- Abbey Road

The Allman Brothers Band- Eat a Peach

Aretha Franklin- 30 Greatest Hits

Van Morrison- Moondance

The Rolling Stones- Let It Bleed

Bob Dylan- Blonde on Blonde

Metallica- Master Of Puppets

Simon & Garfunkel- Bridge Over Troubled Water

Frank Sinatra- Ultimate Sinatra

The Sex Pistols- Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

Elton John- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Bon Jovi- Slippery When Wet

Stevie Wonder- Innervisions

The Velvet Underground- The Velvet Underground & Nico

Adele-21

Billy Joel- The Stranger

Aerosmith- Toys in the Attic

Saturday Night Fever

Elvis Costello- This Year’s Model

Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here

Lauryn Hill- The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Neil Young & Crazy Horse- Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Violent Femmes

The Who- Tommy

Neutral Milk Hotel- In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Jackson Browne

Deep Purple- Machine Head

Emerson, Lake, & Palmer- Brain Salad Surgery

The Cars

Warren Zevon- Excitable Boy

The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

The Ramones

Randy Newman- Good Old Boys

Johnny Cash- At Folsom Prison 

Supertramp- Breakfast In America

Neil Diamond- Hot August Night

George Harrison- All Things Must Pass

Foreigner- Records

Paul Simon- Graceland

James Taylor- Sweet Baby James

Sublime 

The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Are You Experienced

Getz/Gilberto

Free- Fire and Water

Rush- Moving Pictures

Funkadelic- Maggot Brain

The Byrds- Mr. Tambourine Man

Def Leppard- Pyromania 

Cyndi Lauper- She’s So Unusual

Pink Floyd- The Wall

The Police- Synchronicity

David Bowie- Hunky Dory 

Tom Petty- Full Moon Fever

Nick Drake- Pink Moon

The Rolling Stones- Exile on Main St. 

The B-52s

The Band- Music From Big Pink & The Band

The Beach Boys- Pet Sounds

Motley Crue- Shout At the Devil

Bob Marley & The Wailers- Legend

Jimmy Buffett- Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes

Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffiti

The Go-Gos-Beauty and the Beat

Bruce Springsteen- Born In the U.S.A.

Jesus Christ Superstar

Queen-News of the World

Steely Dan- Aja

The Doors 

Amy Winehouse- Back to Black

Blondie- Parallel Lines

Joni Mitchell- Blue

Iron Maiden- The Number of the Beast

Yes- Fragile

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Marvin Gaye- What’s Going On

ZZ Top- Tres Hombres

R.E.M.- Murmur

The Beatles- Revolver

Toto- Toto IV

Al Green- Let’s Stay Together

Van Halen-1984

X- Los Angeles

Grease (Original Movie Soundtrack) 

Cream- Disraeli Gears

Blind Faith 

Derek & The Dominos- Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

Madonna

Bob Dylan- Blood On the Tracks

Michael Jackson- Off the Wall

Talking Heads- 77

Talking Heads- Fear of Music

Talking Heads- Remain In Light

Journey- Infinity

Fleetwood Mac

Mott the Hoople- All the Young Dudes

A Christmas Gift for You from Phil Spector

Cat Stevens- Tea for the Tillerman

The Bangles- Different Light

Star Wars

Iggy & The Stooges- Raw Power

Heart- Little Queen

Peter Gabriel- So

Janis Joplin- Pearl

The Clash

Barry White- Can’t Get Enough

The Who- Quadrophenia

Pearl Jam- Ten

Red Hot Chili Peppers- Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Bob Seger-Night Moves

Cheap Trick- At Budokan

Creedence Clearwater Revival- Cosmo’s Factory

Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables 

Lynyrd Skynyrd- Second Helping 

Led Zeppelin- Houses of the Holy 

The Black Crowes- Shake Your Money Maker

Indigo Girls 

Dire Straits- Brothers In Arms

Jackson Browne- Running On Empty

Alanis Morissette- Jagged Little Pill

John Mellencamp- American Fool

Paul McCartney & Wings- Band On the Run

Elton John- Tumbleweed Connection 

Green Day- American Idiot 

Harry Chapin- Greatest Stories- Live

Neil Young- Harvest 

Counting Crows- August and Everything After

Van Morrison- Astral Weeks

The Sting 

Genesis- Abacab

Thin Lizzy- Jailbreak 

Bruce Springsteen- The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle

AC/DC - Highway to Hell

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

U2 Achtung Baby

Grateful Dead- Europe ‘72

Steely Dan- Pretzel Logic 

The Kinks- Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Pt. 1 

Greetings everyone, I am hoping to engage in a classic rock thread , purely what we used to call album oriented rock (AOR) from the classic era (roughly 1966-1980)- no other genres like punk or thrash or new wave, no heavy metal (unless it’s  Black Sabbath)- purely the classics. 

I want to start with the album Boston from 1976, written and produced by Tom Scholz in his basement. Here are the tracks: 

Side One

1. More Than a Feeling

2. Peace of Mind

3. Foreplay/Long Time

Side Two

1. Rock and Roll Band

2. Smokin’

3. Hitch a Ride

4. Something About You

5. Let Me Take You Home Tonight

A wonderful album to listen to; I’ve thought that for over 40 years. My favorite song is “Hitch a Ride” but overall side 1 is better than side 2; Side 1, may in fact be the best rock music to come out of the 70s, perhaps. The band was never this good again, not even close. 

Thoughts? 

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I love about this album is the seamless transition from acoustic guitars to electric on songs like “Hitch a Ride”, “Peace Of Mind” and “Long Time.” This seems to be a l70s thing- Joe Walsh does it in “Life’s Been Good” and of course Led Zeppelin. Anyhow I’m extremely fond of this. 

That’s pretty amazing. 
Everything but drums . I remember reading ages ago the whole album was done dirt cheap at Scholz’s house . When the label told him to record the album after the demos he pretty much just took the demos and used them. 

This record was right in my wheelhouse, as I was 14 when it came out. Although I'm just about sick of every song on it by now, it's still a remarkable debut.

Scholz deserves all of the credit he gets for putting this together, but without Brad Delp's vocals Boston wouldn't have been nearly as good. That dude could sing and there really wasn't anyone else like him.

Alas, though, the record pretty much spelled the end of any finesse in mainstream rock (aside from Springsteen and Petty) for several years. It's machine-driven and, aside from Delp, nothing particularly soulful is to be found.

Also Tom Scholz pretty much recorded and played everything by himself
In his home basement where the soundproofing was garbage bags, honest to God.

Every 70s New England music mgmt guy shakes his head, as i do, when he thinks of the number of demo versions of "More Than A Feeling" (i heard at least four different arrangements) he passed on without hesitation.

Big ups, Sib - i hear your daughter's dating someone famous down here.

It's a great album, IMO. The first time I ever felt really positive under the influence of marijuana was on Spring Break in Florida in '97 driving around in an old Volvo that was pumping out More Than A Feeling. I heard that riff from the song and just felt...stoned. It was awesome. I thought it sounded like "Wild Thing" or "Smells Like Teen Spirit," but cooler. 

The whole album is great.  

But I wish you'd started a thread about Title Fight's Floral Green, a band and album that I'm listening to now. I'd have much more intelligent things to say.  :P

weird choice to start a Classic Rock discussion with. Boston is certainly not even in top 20 bands i would consider in the genre

and lol, just looked at other posts, seems i'm def in the minority. i was thinking of non-typical bands to discuss i would go with many others before Boston. REO Speedwagon is one that has stood out recently for me that has more hits then i first thought

weird choice to start a Classic Rock discussion with. Boston is certainly not even in top 20 bands i would consider in the genre

and lol, just looked at other posts, seems i'm def in the minority. i was thinking of non-typical bands to discuss i would go with many others before Boston. REO Speedwagon is one that has stood out recently for me that has more hits then i first thought
Disagree. This album is exactly when the last tattered shreds of free-form radio became AOR. "Classic Rock" as a radio format wouldn't begin for another decade or so. I think it's a great place to start.

This album is so much a part of my time moving into adulthood (if you could call it that ...)  We saw them in the late summer of '76 at the Columbus, Ohio Agora.  The album was just breaking - it was pretty cool.  I had been away from home for the first at college for only a month or so.  It wasn't long before the album was playing simultaneously out of every damn dorm room in the quad.  

I got sick of it pretty quick as a result.  But there is no doubt that it was a great album - even if most all of their songs sound the same.  Every time I hear I hear this album I think of that exciting time of being away from home, the freedom, the promise of being on my own. 

I was just setting a place to start the discussion out of personal interest. But you’re welcome to discuss any album or band you consider to be classic rock. 

Whats your favorite REO Song and album? 

What about bands like Aerosmith - who fall into both categories (classic 66-80 era and the Classic Rock radio station era of 80 beyond) - ie they had success in the 70s, struggled for a while - and then thanks in part to their collaboration with Run DMC revived their career?   Some classic rock songs are great, but until they get covered by other artists down the road they do not end up with much airplay or fanfare.    U2s cover of All Along the Watchtower likely got a whole new generation of fans interested in the Hendrix version, which in turn is inspired by the Bob Dylan original.

I was in high school when "Boston" was released.  I hated it at the time because it was the blueprint for the type of corporate rock that was taking over the airwaves.  I've softened my stance since then--I can appreciate the craftsmanship now but it's never going to be a favorite.

The late 70s were probably the peak years for high fidelity in consumer culture.  If you look at old magazines from that era, there are lots of advertisements for stereos, speakers, headphones, etc.  The entertainment console from a decade earlier were being replaced by component based systems that delivered better sound quality.  There was similar momentum in car stereos as cassettes triumphed temporarily over 8-track tapes. 

Scholz tapped into this with a record that consumers could blast out of their new systems.  "Boston" is an album that's more about sound than songs.

I was in high school when "Boston" was released.  I hated it at the time because it was the blueprint for the type of corporate rock that was taking over the airwaves.  I've softened my stance since then--I can appreciate the craftsmanship now but it's never going to be a favorite.

The late 70s were probably the peak years for high fidelity in consumer culture.  If you look at old magazines from that era, there are lots of advertisements for stereos, speakers, headphones, etc.  The entertainment console from a decade earlier were being replaced by component based systems that delivered better sound quality.  There was similar momentum in car stereos as cassettes triumphed temporarily over 8-track tapes. 

Scholz tapped into this with a record that consumers could blast out of their new systems.  "Boston" is an album that's more about sound than songs.
Boston's debut was one of the records I owned the:

album

8 track

cassette

CD

Some kind of I-thingy in the early 2000s

If my memory is correct this was omitted from Rolling Stone's top 500 all-time albums list. Travesty.

I always liked “Roll With the Changes” and “Time for Me to Fly”. 
yeah, i think i am leaning this way. "Keep on Rolling" works, same with "Take it on the Run".  Just noticed they have quite a few hits and i guess i didn't realize how many hits they had until recently. Guess i also didn't realize how my Classic Rock taste was much more through the radio and stuff, and less through albums. never would have guessed, but i think i listened to more Classic Rock then other genres, but i easily had more Hip Hop, Metal and Punk albums then any Classic Rock. 

:no:   This would be one of the first bands/albums I'd think of it someone said Classic Rock to me.  Love it.

Although, somewhat to your point - I don't put Boston up there with a bunch of other bands because they couldn't keep it going.

:no:   This would be one of the first bands/albums I'd think of it someone said Classic Rock to me.  Love it.

Although, somewhat to your point - I don't put Boston up there with a bunch of other bands because they couldn't keep it going.
they just seemed to pop for me at the time maybe, not sure. Maybe that is why i never latched on, 

Fred Lynn was my favorite ball player as a kid. Loved him. Freddy and Jim in '75. Never forget. Should have stayed in Boston instead he moved to Cali. That 1979 OPS, tho.   
Rice was my favorite, wore 14 in babe ruth and HS 

last night driving on WZLX, Boston’s classic rock , The Clash . Im really getting old

Rice was my favorite, wore 14 in babe ruth and HS 

last night driving on WZLX, Boston’s classic rock , The Clash . Im really getting old
We all are, man. Just some of us more quickly than others if you believe the physicists. And that's all from me about that. 

Scholz needed a George Martin to rein him in, but he was too arrogant to allow any other opinions. 
This is pandering to Binky but he would have been better off paired with a producer like Todd Rundgren who would have challenged him more on the repertoire side.

Boston most definitely and underrated Classic Rock band.  The Foreplay opening 90 seconds ranks amongst the most adrenaline pumping opening of any song from that era.

I’d like to introduce Lynyrd Skynyrd to the discussion.  Obviously a short catalog due to the tragic plane crash.  But their first two albums (It’s Pronounced...and Second Helping) were unreal.  And to this day, their sound truly reflects the concept and origins of Southyrn Rock.

Everything but drums . I remember reading ages ago the whole album was done dirt cheap at Scholz’s house . When the label told him to record the album after the demos he pretty much just took the demos and used them. 
Tom wanted to release his demo tapes as-is. The label said No.

So Tom agreed to re-record the demos, but he wanted to produce the sessions in his basement studio. The label said No.

So the label assigned a veteran producer named John Boylan to produce the album, and ordered Scholz to go to California to re-record his demos at Capitol Studios.

Scholz met with Boylan and Boylan immediately realized that Scholz was capable of recording the album by himself in his home studio. So they struck a deal -- Boylan would take the other members of the band to California to pretend to record an album, while Scholz stayed in Boston to record the backing tracks in his basement. Once Scholz was finished, he took the tapes to California to add Delp's vocals. The record label never found out about the arrangement until several years later.

Users who are viewing this thread