What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (10 Viewers)

Ok guys - from what I just got from my boy down in CLE.

They still like Kouandjio, but his stock fell a bit late into the season...

Now, dont shoot the messenger, this is just what Im hearing (keep in mind this guy NAILED tRich and Mingo last 2yrs.. posted both on the forum)

Browns absolutely want OT Mathews with their first pick now. If he's gone, they likely take Manziel

They are also looking for a WR weapon to put across from Gordon. They dont expect to use a 1st rounder on one unless Evans/Lee is sitting there.. Will take one in the 2nd.

Also of all the RBs in the draft, they are eyeing Mason.

If they take a RB with that colts pick, they might end up on the late night shows as punchlines in the show openings. That would be impressive for a Cleveland team.

Zero chance they take a rb in the first. Zero.

Ok guys - from what I just got from my boy down in CLE.

They still like Kouandjio, but his stock fell a bit late into the season...

Now, dont shoot the messenger, this is just what Im hearing (keep in mind this guy NAILED tRich and Mingo last 2yrs.. posted both on the forum)

Browns absolutely want OT Mathews with their first pick now. If he's gone, they likely take Manziel

They are also looking for a WR weapon to put across from Gordon. They dont expect to use a 1st rounder on one unless Evans/Lee is sitting there.. Will take one in the 2nd.

Also of all the RBs in the draft, they are eyeing Mason.
I'd be thrilled with Matthews at 1.4, play him at RT and move Schwartz in to Guard.

If they take a RB with that colts pick, they might end up on the late night shows as punchlines in the show openings. That would be impressive for a Cleveland team.

You don't watch the late night shows, do you? :lmao:

But I agree mostly....although if the RB is >>>> TRich, which seems reasonable, they still get over.

I saw a mock that had them taking Carlos Hyde at 26. What would y'all think of that? I can't judge talent to save my life, but kid looked like a beast at tOSU.

Bobcat10 said:
ghostguy123 said:

You don't watch the late night shows, do you? :lmao:

But I agree mostly....although if the RB is >>>> TRich, which seems reasonable, they still get over.
Not much anymore, have they been mentioned a lot?? Ouch. I bet Haslem has been mentioned now that I think about it. Even a Cleveland team can find it's way into mainstream punchlines when the owner bought his team with stolen money and could go to prison.

While I definitely agree that if the were to draft a RB who is productive it would be a huge win on the trade. However, I don't want to judge it like that. I am not a fan of taking a RB in the first round pretty much ever.

I saw a mock that had them taking Carlos Hyde at 26. What would y'all think of that? I can't judge talent to save my life, but kid looked like a beast at tOSU.
Not at 26, maybe if he slipped far enough in the 2nd round we use our 3 and another pick (the 4 we traded for?) to trade up for him. He's not helping his cause by skipping the Sr. Bowl though. RB, like last year, is deep but short on special players, so I expect us to address it at some point, but they'll target someone who slips rather than reach for someone specific.

I don't think the market for Tate is going to be that hot. It's a devalued position and he only averaged 4.3 each of the last two seasons in a system that's historically been very favorable to RBs. Plus he had 5 fumbles last year. Only A.Morris and R.Bush had more and they had significantly more touches.

Most teams that need a back will probably just opt for a mid-round rookie

Some podcast takes from Cleveland Browns Daily commenting on the first wave of mock drafts that have come out.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/audio/Cleveland-Browns-Daily---71/f500ca50-aa2e-44e1-a5e8-d73805e42f11#/media-center/audio/Cleveland_Browns_Daily_115_Part_2_Pluto/f0fbfc77-80db-4cb0-9ef2-12d775f4953d

- part 2 around the 9:40 point.

Longtime Plain Dealer sports writer Terry Pluto was asked about the mocks that were projecting a QB to go with the Browns top pick. Pluto said he liked QB Teddy Bridgewater and that he did not like QB Johnny Manziel.

- part 5 they talk the recent mocks

Nate Zegura says he does not think they will take a RB with the 26th pick of the first round. He says he thinks the Browns will take a QB with the top pick and he loves QB Johnny Manziel but will go cornerback with the 26th pick. Zegura's list for the first round is:

1. 1st round pick #4 Quarterback (he loves Johnny Manziel)

2. 1st round 26th pick he thinks we will look to take a Cornerback but did not name any specific player

Vic Carucci Says he thinks the Browns will take a QB with the top pick and he likes QB Blake Bortles and he does not like any mocks that show a RB with the top pick and goes so-far as to say the Browns will NOT take a running back in the first round. He think the 26th pick will address a different need. He said he would prioritize the Browns needs in the following order:

1. First round #4 selection Quarterback (he said that he likes QB Blake Bortles)

2. Firstt round #26 pick WR, O-Line, CB. (Vics order of preference for the 26fh selection)

Both say the Browns won't take a RB in the first round and Browns would be looking RB 3rd round at earliest..

part 8 with Jeroud Cherry around the 5:30

They asked if Jeround Cherry thought the Browns would take a RB in the first round? Cherry said no. He said you can find a guy in the, 3rd, 4th, 5th, round and Vic agreed. Cherry feels the team needs to find another WR. He mentioned that as good as WR Josh Gordon has been that he's one slip-up away from not being on the team. Cherry didn't mention who he wanted the team to take in the first round.

=====================

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/audio/Cleveland-Browns-Daily---71/f500ca50-aa2e-44e1-a5e8-d73805e42f11#/media-center/audio/Cleveland_Browns_Daily_116_Part_6/a5a9ba35-154d-4fd1-9521-2046817aca43

Cleveland Browns Daily 1/16 Part 6

Another segment of interest was guest, former OLT and current color commentator on Browns broudcasts, Doug Deiken give his take on grading the Browns offensive line. He said the issue was with the guards. He thinks that free agent OT Chris Faulk is a guy who could take over at right tackle allowing ORT Mitchell Schwartz to move inside. Schwartz was injured, foot, so Dieken felt his struggles last year was due to the injury but he feels Mtichell needs more strength but he can move so he felt moving him inside would really help runs to the perimeter but he added we need to get a RB who can make those perimeter runs.

Dieken's bottom line, get some athletic guards. He feels that is the biggest missing piece on the offensive line. He sounds very-eager to see what Chris Faulk can do.

Both Zegura and Carucci feel we need to replace OG Shawn Lavaua and that Mitchell Schartz struggled and that Grecco at the other OG position was average at best. I didn't realize Schartz was injured and he was injured early in the year and Zegura rattled off a ton of stats to show Schartz really improved later in the season when he would have gotten healthier. So it sounds like we definitely need at least one O-Lineman and quite possibly two unless Faulk is healthy and blows up and/or if Mitchell Schartz vastly improves or can move inside so that gives more options as we can get the best ORT or OG but it sounds like we will be taking at least one O-Linemen early in the draft.

=================================

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/audio/Cleveland-Browns-Daily---71/f500ca50-aa2e-44e1-a5e8-d73805e42f11#/media-center/audio/Cleveland_Browns_Daily_114_Part_3_Williamson/135ff61c-5219-439c-ab3a-0a729c79ec85

Cleveland Browns Daily 1/14 Part 3 - Williamson

Guest ESPN football guy and former NFL scout Matt Williamson

He was asked about the draft and his take was QB Brian Hoyer could be a really good stop-gap guy that allows any rookie QB we take time to develop. Good quality draft and WR may be the best of the group so you can get a quality WR in the 3rd round that would normally be drafted high in the second round. Williamson thinks we need a RB. He thinks we can sign an OG in free agency but unlike Dieken he feels we need a big run blocking masher to open holes. Thinks we could one more LB. Maybe another corner with size and says we can't fill all needs but we are in good shape with draft picks and cap room.

He likes a big strong-armed QB who can play in poor weather conditions of the AFCN.

======================

Bottom line for the draft:

- We won't be drafting any RBs in the 1st or 2nd rounds but RB will be addressed, likely from the 3rd round or later.

- We will add at least one O-Lineman with a high pick.

- Draft is deep at WR, we can find a quality WR in the 3rd round

- Cornerback is mentioned and could be a high pick or filled in free agency.

- Linebacker is a need but likely won't be taken high in the draft.

The Browns ought to go get a couple good vets, real pros at RB & WR in free agency, and I'd start with Moreno and Tate.

Clean house on the WRs not named Gordon.

Get Matthews at OT.

See what happens at HC & QB, but for QB I'd say stick with the two vets, cut Weeden loose, and bring in a talented QB to develop on the bench over the next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top young (under 30) unrestricted free agent wr's they could look at -

Riley Cooper

Eric Decker

Julian Edelman

Ted Ginn

Jeremy Maclin

Hakeem Nicks

Brandon LaFell

Andre Roberts

Emmanuel Sanders

Jerome Simpson

Golden Tate

So this Davone Bess thing is a little nuts. Apparently he was involuntarily committed to a psych ward a month before the Browns traded for him?!

Top young (under 30) unrestricted free agent wr's they could look at -

Riley Cooper

Eric Decker

Julian Edelman

Ted Ginn

Jeremy Maclin

Hakeem Nicks

Brandon LaFell

Andre Roberts

Emmanuel Sanders

Jerome Simpson

Golden Tate
I would be fine going for Nicks if he doesnt end up signing for WR-1 kinda money.

But yeah, lot of appeal for some of these guys. Decker, Edelman, Maclin, and some for Sanders, Roberts, and tate

So this Davone Bess thing is a little nuts. Apparently he was involuntarily committed to a psych ward a month before the Browns traded for him?!
Baker Acted :lol: Explains why we got a formerly productive slot receiver for peanuts

p.s. - not laughing at serious psychological problems, laughing at "only the Browns"

i'd love Hyde coming to the Browns at the right price.
I'd rather sign Tate at the right price and use 2nd and 3rds on other positions.
If Tate doesn't get snatched up in wave 1 of free agency, maybe. I don't want to use a significant portion of the cap at RB, spend on harder to fill positions then take the quantity/economical approach at RB.
I realize that a 2nd round pick is "cheap" for salary cap purposes, but that is a very valuable pick that I would prefer to use elsewhere if we can get a decent and halfway young RB in free agency. If tate costs a ton then yeah, I can see not signing him, but I don't think he will

I'd rather sign Tate at the right price and use 2nd and 3rds on other positions.
If Tate doesn't get snatched up in wave 1 of free agency, maybe. I don't want to use a significant portion of the cap at RB, spend on harder to fill positions then take the quantity/economical approach at RB.
I realize that a 2nd round pick is "cheap" for salary cap purposes, but that is a very valuable pick that I would prefer to use elsewhere if we can get a decent and halfway young RB in free agency. If tate costs a ton then yeah, I can see not signing him, but I don't think he will
would you rather re sign sheard and draft sankey? Or let sheard walk, sign Tate, then pursue another de in round 3? Not saying it's sheard or Tate, just trying to put this in context.I think the tram benefits with the former more than the latter.

would you rather re sign sheard and draft sankey? Or let sheard walk, sign Tate, then pursue another de in round 3? Not saying it's sheard or Tate, just trying to put this in context.I think the tram benefits with the former more than the latter.
I believe you think Tate will sign for lot more money than I think he will.

Even if he doesn't, we have a lot of cap room. We don't need to lose any of our own while still being able to sign some good players.

Just awesome :lmao:

So to recap, they lost a coach that made an offense watchable for the first time in years with 2 of the better young skill position players in the game.. Lost one of the best OC's of the past 20+ years and lost one of the better DC's in the game in Horton (who would probably be a better HC candidate than the bozo they end up hiring). Wonderful offseason so far Lombardi.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Broncos OC Adam Gase is leaning toward remaining with Denver next season rather than pursue the Browns head-coaching job.
Gase is expected to interview with the Browns after he's eliminated from the playoffs, but reportedly loves his job in Denver and "relishes the idea" of spending a second season as Peyton Manning's offensive coordinator. It's a similar situation to Josh McDaniels, who withdrew his name from Cleveland's head-coaching search earlier this month. Gase, 35, is currently the NFL’s fourth-youngest offensive coordinator and may not be ready to run an entire team. He could wait until next year before making the leap to head coach.

you can make a case for firing Chud, but who the hell is there left to hire at this point?

if they make Schwartz the HC i'm out.

SEA DC Quinn was reportedly high on their list, but no idea if he is interested.

Rich Kotite is well rested after 18 years, but may be too old at 71?

Honesty, I am pleased with how the coaching search is going.

We are the only team left so we don't have to rush to make a decision, we can and are conducting tons of interviews. I think that is fantastic. Last year we heard the interviews conducted by the froint office was very beneficial. They learned tons of things. They found out which offenses and defenses were the most diffcult to face, what sort of quarterbacks, running games, blocking schemes, etc. Right now the front office is picking the minds of the best young coaching talent and some of the people bein interviewed could wind up on the coaching staff.

I'm not fretting about missing any of the coaches who have been hired because I don't anyone is the next coming of Bill Walsh. One guy I liked was Wisenhunt but I don't like how he used Detroit to get more money from Tennessee.

The weeds out guys who aren't strong or ready.

We can choose an idea or concept guy or go for a more rah-rah Rex Ryan guy. Hopefully someone with ideas and who is also a strong leader and I hope we lean more towards hiring a strong leader.

Adam Gase seems like an idea guy who has isn't a strong leader of men. Reports are that he lacks a personality and we've seen weak leader guys like Pat Shurmur who wilted under the spotlight. If Gase won't interview or is hinting he won't take a head coaching job then he doesn't look like a strong leader. Sorry but it appears like he is hiding under Peyton Manning's petticoats.

I am very intriuged by the Buffalo defensive coordinator Mike Pettine. He's been called back for two interviews and reports are both interviews went well.

Pettine seems like he would take to being a head coach like a duck to water. Mike is a defensive guy and if you notice three of the four teams left in the post season where former defensive coordinators.

I don't know if he's thee-guy or if Gase steps-up and shows he's more than Peyton Manning's water boy, or if one of the other candidates steups up but in any case, I'm not sweating it.

We don't have to make a decision and their are other guys to interview. No harm in that and why would we pass up the opportunity to pick the brains of the best young coaches in the league?

you can make a case for firing Chud, but who the hell is there left to hire at this point?

I don't think you can make a case at all when it also means you lose Norv and Horton, and now we have nobody.

When we do find a coach, whoever the hell that will be, putting togther a staff won't be easy.

I haven't heard anyone say one thing yet that I agree with as far as firing Chud being a good move.

Bracie, all good points.
sometimes I wish we couldn't see who was posting what. Like, bracie has a good post but him being the eternal optimist it doesn't mean much to me. Just like how I am the total opposite and a negative message from me means much less than if bracie posted it.

I believe you think Tate will sign for lot more money than I think he will.

Even if he doesn't, we have a lot of cap room. We don't need to lose any of our own while still being able to sign some good players.
then we are spending money on Tate that we can't spend on another player.

Bracie, all good points.
sometimes I wish we couldn't see who was posting what. Like, bracie has a good post but him being the eternal optimist it doesn't mean much to me. Just like how I am the total opposite and a negative message from me means much less than if bracie posted it.
If you or me or anyone discounts posts that have merit based on who posted them then its silly.

And if you look my post isn't positive its just not negative and that is the only takes that have appeared about the coaching search when the reality is none of the head coaches who have been hired would have made champagne corks popping. :tinfoilhat:

MAC_32 said:
So you rather overdraft a player at a devalued position.................................
a third or fourth round pick is over drafting now?
Or later.

We're not using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB. That much seems clear. I have no idea why anyone would think that we would sign Tate for a 2nd or use a 1st round or 2nd round pick on a RB.

MAC_32 said:
So you rather overdraft a player at a devalued position.................................
Or later.

We're not using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB. That much seems clear. I have no idea why anyone would think that we would sign Tate for a 2nd or use a 1st round or 2nd round pick on a RB.
We would have to give the Texans our 2nd to sign Tate?

ghostguy123 said:
amnesiac said:

I don't think you can make a case at all when it also means you lose Norv and Horton, and now we have nobody.

When we do find a coach, whoever the hell that will be, putting togther a staff won't be easy.

I haven't heard anyone say one thing yet that I agree with as far as firing Chud being a good move.
4-12lost their last 7 games.

MAC_32 said:
No, a 2nd. OUR 2nd that is. I can live with using a 3rd.

BUt even if we do, hell, we can seign Tate also. We need a couple guys back there. Right now we have nothing.

Might as well interview Roman. Hell, maybe he's the darkhorse in this race.

Amazing how things change....I was rooting for Belechick and Brady today over that horse toothed Elway. Before Elway, during the BB and TB marriage, that would never have been the case if Den was playing NE. I do respect BB alot more now than I did 10ish years ago.

ghostguy123 said:
amnesiac said:

4-12
Weeden, Campbell

5-6 RBs who shouldnt be in the league

Winning recipe right there.

MAC_32 said:
No, a 2nd. OUR 2nd that is. I can live with using a 3rd.

BUt even if we do, hell, we can seign Tate also. We need a couple guys back there. Right now we have nothing.
i like Lewis and baker has at least earned a shot to earn the third rb job.And who said we were using our two to pick a rb?

ghostguy123 said:
amnesiac said:

4-12
Weeden, Campbell

i didn't know those guys played defense. Or kept playing little despite sucking and Bess despite being mental.

ghostguy123 said:
amnesiac said:

4-12
Weeden, Campbell

they lost 7 games to finish the season. that's pathetic and it's high time we stop making excuses for this team.

they lost 7 games to finish the season.that's pathetic and it's high time we stop making excuses for this team.
A REASON isn the same as an excuse. No team is winning with the worst QBs and the worst RBs in football.

But, isn't firing the coach making an excuse saying it was the coach?

Bottom line, my god we look stupid by firing Chud and losing Norv and Horton.

i like Lewis and baker has at least earned a shot to earn the third rb job.And who said we were using our two to pick a rb?
Baker is the kind of guy who comes in fresh mid-late season and has a short stretch of good play. He is nothing I would care about losing at all. Lewis was ok, but will he be the same? Who knows.

As of right now, we have ZERO legit RBs.

Users who are viewing this thread