What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (2 Viewers)

We signed Nate Burleson to a 1year deal.

Somewhat odd.
I can't see any downside to that. Halfway useable veteran. Never know what can happen to any of our guys between now and september.

DOesnt even matter if he doesnt make the team really.

We have so much damn cap space we could sign the best available 20 free agents to 1 year deals.

Some may disagree, but this signing kind of makes me think Watkins is a bit more in play at #4 (Still think it's Robinson or Watkins)

Burleson is one of the hardest working and classiest WRs in the game - having his presence would be huge for getting Watkin accustomed to the league, and also set an example for Gordon.

Besides his on-field play, he was one of Detroit's most vocal players in the locker room and often gave the team's pre-game on-field speeches in the team's huddle. He was also one of the Lions' most consistent spokesmen in 2013.

Some may disagree, but this signing kind of makes me think Watkins is a bit more in play at #4 (Still think it's Robinson or Watkins)

Burleson is one of the hardest working and classiest WRs in the game - having his presence would be huge for getting Watkin accustomed to the league, and also set an example for Gordon.
I don't think it means anything........ :nerd: :nerd:

Well some talking heads seem to think it means Watkins is out of the picture... which is a pretty ludicrous thing to say.

Well some talking heads seem to think it means Watkins is out of the picture... which is a pretty ludicrous thing to say.
When you talk on the radio for hours and hours every day, can't help but spew a bunch of rAtarded nonsense I suppose.

How in all blue he_ll would signing Nate ####### Burleson have an impact on who we draft at pick 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this signing caused us to change our ranking on a player in the top 4 of the draft, I want everyone fired.

ghostguy123 said:
Soulfly3 said:
ghostguy123 said:
Soulfly3 said:

When you talk on the radio for hours and hours every day, can't help but spew a bunch of rAtarded nonsense I suppose.

How in all blue he_ll would signing Nate ####### Burleson have an impact on who we draft at pick 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this signing caused us to change our ranking on a player in the top 4 of the draft, I want everyone fired.
Funny how as I read this, the first name that I comes to mind is Goldhammer. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
ghostguy123 said:
Soulfly3 said:
ghostguy123 said:
Soulfly3 said:

Funny how as I read this, the first name that I comes to mind is Goldhammer. lol.
Rizzo on vacation = not even turning it on this week.

Don't need 2 hours of whining about pro days and then 2 more about how bad the Indians pitching is.

Idle speculation: Do you suppose the lack of action in signing QBs is intended to mislead people into thinking they MUST draft one at #4?

ghostguy123 said:
Soulfly3 said:
ghostguy123 said:
Soulfly3 said:

Rizzo on vacation = not even turning it on this week.

Don't need 2 hours of whining about pro days and then 2 more about how bad the Indians pitching is.
More like 4 hours of Gordon/Kyrie/Waiters war.

Cabot mocks Carr at 4 to Browns on NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/onthebeat#pick=5
She became less bangable by falling prey to this stupid suggestion
i'm now convinced she just says whatever the Browns want her to say.
been her m.o. Since taking the job.Like the burleson signing, doesn't change my opinion about what we will do at wr next month...I think it means Little is gone though.

I'm still digesting this. Part of me never wants to change (drastically like this would be). Then I think they could look sweet if done right and we'd start wearing throwbacks in a few years (they best do this either way) once a season...which would be great too.

Could the Cleveland Browns new uniforms be less Brown? A discussion in the Browns sub-Reddit sheds some light on what 2015 may bring in the way of the new look Browns.

"The design that looks like it’s going to be chosen can best be described as a happy medium between Minnesota and Seattle.
Let’s start with the helmet. A flat matte finish in a color I can only describe as “candy orange” with a matching color facemask and sublimated striping enhances the look of the helmet without sacrificing it’s iconic image.
The Jersey is candy orange with silver accents and brown trim. A custom block font is meant to invoke a blue collar feel. The stripes are subliminated and higher up on the sleeve, kind of like large spaghetti straps.
There are three different pairs of pants, Orange, gray and Brown. There is no Brown jersey, but rather a gray with orange chrome accents and white with the same. The pants have the same sublimated striping as the helmet and jerseys."
While this can only be classified as rumors to this point (as the official uni is supposed to be kept “under tight security”), we know for certain that the Browns will be getting their new uniforms for next season and will be unveiling them before the 2015 NFL Draft. We also know that Nike is in charge these days and that matte helmets are all the rage. Jimmy Haslam said that he will not be altering the logoless lids, so this corroborates such. Where things get interesting are with the jerseys which are orange and…silver? If the brown jersey does in fact disappear, this would be a tectonic shift for Cleveland, but one that’s in line with the rest of the new-wave NFL uniforms. They’d also be in line with what the Tennessee Volunteers, Haslam’s collegiate ties, have unveiled for themselves. There’s plenty of smoke here…
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2014/04/are-the-browns-jerseys-going-grey-while-were-waiting/

I want to go on record as saying they are taking a QB at 4. I think they have gone out of their way to look like they are not, but i think it is subterfuge. I dunno which QB, but i think they are taking one

I want to go on record as saying they are taking a QB at 4. I think they have gone out of their way to look like they are not, but i think it is subterfuge. I dunno which QB, but i think they are taking one
I think Clev has a guy they really like at QB. If he's there or they get their pick of all the QBs then I think they take one. I have no idea who that guy is. If the guy they like isn't there they will gladly take Watkins or whoever as a consolation prize and come back to a QB with the late 1st or perhaps even 2nd round pick.

Hopefully the Browns learned from Colt McCoy about overrated college QBs

Why on earth would you take a QB, of which NOONE can decide if they're a #1 pick or 2nd round pick... when ELITE, potential HOF type talents are there at 4 - many of whih are positions of need for us.

It'd be an absolute wasted pick to go QB, unless we somehow nabbed the one guy that may turn out well... Which I dont think ANYONE knows who that is.

It'd crush my high hopes if we took one at 4

Hopefully the Browns learned from Colt McCoy about overrated college QBs

Why on earth would you take a QB, of which NOONE can decide if they're a #1 pick or 2nd round pick... when ELITE, potential HOF type talents are there at 4 - many of whih are positions of need for us.

It'd be an absolute wasted pick to go QB, unless we somehow nabbed the one guy that may turn out well... Which I dont think ANYONE knows who that is.

It'd crush my high hopes if we took one at 4
Take Johnny at 4. You know you want him. :cool:

Bobcat10 said:
I'm still digesting this. Part of me never wants to change (drastically like this would be). Then I think they could look sweet if done right and we'd start wearing throwbacks in a few years (they best do this either way) once a season...which would be great too.

Could the Cleveland Browns new uniforms be less Brown? A discussion in the Browns sub-Reddit sheds some light on what 2015 may bring in the way of the new look Browns.

"The design that looks like it’s going to be chosen can best be described as a happy medium between Minnesota and Seattle.
Let’s start with the helmet. A flat matte finish in a color I can only describe as “candy orange” with a matching color facemask and sublimated striping enhances the look of the helmet without sacrificing it’s iconic image.
The Jersey is candy orange with silver accents and brown trim. A custom block font is meant to invoke a blue collar feel. The stripes are subliminated and higher up on the sleeve, kind of like large spaghetti straps.
There are three different pairs of pants, Orange, gray and Brown. There is no Brown jersey, but rather a gray with orange chrome accents and white with the same. The pants have the same sublimated striping as the helmet and jerseys."
While this can only be classified as rumors to this point (as the official uni is supposed to be kept “under tight security”), we know for certain that the Browns will be getting their new uniforms for next season and will be unveiling them before the 2015 NFL Draft. We also know that Nike is in charge these days and that matte helmets are all the rage. Jimmy Haslam said that he will not be altering the logoless lids, so this corroborates such. Where things get interesting are with the jerseys which are orange and…silver? If the brown jersey does in fact disappear, this would be a tectonic shift for Cleveland, but one that’s in line with the rest of the new-wave NFL uniforms. They’d also be in line with what the Tennessee Volunteers, Haslam’s collegiate ties, have unveiled for themselves. There’s plenty of smoke here…
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2014/04/are-the-browns-jerseys-going-grey-while-were-waiting/
http://dawgpoundnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/wpid-tphlrys.jpg

they are gonna take Carr at 4 and a lot of people are gonna be owing Cabot an apology!

lol
Carr at 4 is literally the WORST move they could possibly make in the entire draft.

I hate you
worse than Manziel?at least Carr throws the ball on his highlight reel.
Id rather have Manziel by a nuthair. Neither should be on this team unless we have one fall to us at 1.26.

At which point im still not thrilled

they are gonna take Carr at 4 and a lot of people are gonna be owing Cabot an apology!

lol
Carr at 4 is literally the WORST move they could possibly make in the entire draft.

I hate you
Id rather have Manziel by a nuthair. Neither should be on this team unless we have one fall to us at 1.26.

yeah

i don't see where drafting a bad qb at 1.26 is much better. i guess it is because you get a better player at 1.4, but if you draft a QB you have to be willing to give him a couple of years to see how he turns out, so if you miss you are still behind the 8 ball.Not nearly as bad as before the rookie wage scale, but still not good.

Bobcat10 said:

Love the helmet. Would like a little more brown for contrast but overall I'm good with that.

Bobcat10 said:

Love the helmet. Would like a little more brown for contrast but overall I'm good with that.
[–]trash432a

13 hoursago The helmet is almost identical, only thing missing is the barely visible pattern in the stripe.

The jersey is sort of close, but the stripes are much wider and the numbers are completely different.

The pants stripe needs to be lower.

You nailed the shade of orange.

lol

I hate you

yeahi don't see where drafting a bad qb at 1.26 is much better. i guess it is because you get a better player at 1.4, but if you draft a QB you have to be willing to give him a couple of years to see how he turns out, so if you miss you are still behind the 8 ball.Not nearly as bad as before the rookie wage scale, but still not good.
If the Browns aren't sure that any of the QB's are a sure quality starting QB then taking someone else at 4 and one of the QB's if they are there at 26 is far far better.If they think at least 2 of them have a chance to be a quality starting QB and could still be on the board at pick 26, then taking anything but a QB at 4 and trying to get one at 26 is a far far better move.

1. Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 6m
    To recap: Alex Mack highly impressed with Jacksonville, wants to play there, will sign 5-year offer sheet by end of week, per ESPN sources.

2. Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 7m
    Sources close to Alex Mack say he wants to play this contract in Jacksonville, not Cleveland, which opted not to give him long-term deal.

3. Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 8m
    Alex Mack's 5-year deal with Jacksonville will be designed to make it as difficult as possible for the Browns to match, per sources.

4. Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 9m
    By Friday, Jacksonville will sign Cleveland's transition-tagged C Alex Mack to a 5-year offer sheet the Browns will have five days to match.

read from 5 to 1 there, sorry bout the format
Why play for Jacksonville? As a franchise, aren't they a step below Cleveland? At least Cleveland has some offensive resources and a decent/good oline. If he's looking for consistency, Jacksonville is no better. There are many similarities between the two, and I can't fathom why he would want to get up and leave. I highly doubt the offer will give him more than $10mill the first year, like the tag would. With no interest from other teams, you'd think he would suck it up for a year and then go wherever he wants next year.

I'd be shocked if Cleveland doesn't match or beat the offer.

read from 5 to 1 there, sorry bout the format
Why play for Jacksonville? As a franchise, aren't they a step below Cleveland? At least Cleveland has some offensive resources and a decent/good oline. If he's looking for consistency, Jacksonville is no better. There are many similarities between the two, and I can't fathom why he would want to get up and leave. I highly doubt the offer will give him more than $10mill the first year, like the tag would. With no interest from other teams, you'd think he would suck it up for a year and then go wherever he wants next year.

I'd be shocked if Cleveland doesn't match or beat the offer.
if he wants to play for them it is because they offered him a long term deal, the browns could not get one done with him. May have pissed him off.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/09/report-jags-will-sign-alex-mack-to-an-offer-sheet-by-friday/

this seems like dirty pool. I think if he was important to the browns they needed to get him signed or at VERY least franchise him, anything else was a mistake

Agent Marvin Demoff has expressed confidence that an offer sheet could be constructed that the Browns wouldn’t match. While that may have been possible with a shorter-term deal, it will be very difficult to craft a five-year contract that will be acceptable to the Jaguars but not to the Browns.

The only possible loophole comes from a wink-nod arrangement between the Jaguars and Mack, involving a device like (as Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports hinted earlier today) a mammoth balloon payment early in the 2015 league year. The high cap number would need to be spread over the remaining four years as a signing bonus. But if Mack tells the Browns that he’d never agree to restructure the contract in Cleveland, the Browns would have to choose between carrying a huge cap number in 2015 or cutting him.

In Jacksonville, Mack could agree in 2015 to convert the balloon payment to a signing bonus, shrinking the cap number dramatically.

Mack, Demoff, and the Jaguars would be able to truthfully say that no agreements have been reached in 2014 regarding what will happen in 2015. And no agreements need to be reached. It’s no secret that Demoff and the Jaguars are trying to conjure an offer sheet the Browns won’t match. Perhaps the only way to do that is to include a term that, absent a restructuring, would be unacceptable to both teams. It will be implied that Mack would restructure the contract for the Jaguars, and not for the Browns.

It’s a creative approach, but it could provoke a strenuous objection from the Browns. Which could spice up what would otherwise be a slow week or two in advance of the draft.

eh, Jimmy's nuts enough to match it and take the cap hit if he really wants to.

sounds too close to a poison pill though. might have a hard time getting the NFL to approve that contract.

This could be a clever way to circumvent the now illegal poison pill clause, which many thought would make it very difficult for JAX to craft a contract CLE couldn't simply match.

Demoff has been around the block a few times. He represented both Elway and Marino in the historic '83 QB class.

Agree it might come under scrutiny with the league office. But not sure if it is structured as described in the PFT article, that would be grounds for a reversal.

This would be a clever way to circumvent the now illegal poison pill clause, which many thought would make it very difficult for JAX to craft a contract CLE couldn't simply match.

Demoff has been around the block a few times. He represented both Elway and Marino in the historic '83 QB class.
that's assuming the NFL approves the contract. they may not.

Jacksonville has two advantages over Cleveland - weather and no state income tax

Really I think Mack just wants a change of scenery. It never really has sounded like he wanted to come back at all.

Users who are viewing this thread