What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (4 Viewers)

2014 NFL Draft: Mike Evans in play for Browns at No. 4

By Derek Harper | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

The Cleveland Browns have long been a wild card in the early stages of the 2014 NFL Draft as holders of the No. 4 overall pick. Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel has often been linked to the Browns, but another name to keep a close eye on is former Aggies teammate wide receiver Mike Evans.

Even if Clemson's Sammy Watkins, NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated wide receiver, is still on the board at No. 4, a source familiar with the team's thinking told NFLDraftScout.com that Evans will still be in strong consideration.

DraftInsider.net's Tony Pauline also reported the Browns are have Evans rated higher than Watkins.

Evans, 20, is still raw in several areas, but also flashed the impact potential NFL teams covet at the wide receiver position and has steadily risen to No. 9 on NDS' board. No one is better in this draft than Evans when it comes down to boxing out defenders, high-pointing the football and basically being a power forward on the field.

Factor in his 6-foot-5, 230-pound frame, 4.5 speed and underrated ability after the catch, and Evans has the makings of a future superstar.

The ideal scenario for the Browns would be to find a way to get both Manziel and Evans and reunite that College Station passing connection in Cleveland. But that might be a longshot with both projected to be top 10 picks.

Watkins is an explosive playmaker, but he isn't the consensus top wide receiver prospect in this class as more than a few teams have Evans rated higher due to his size and overall potential.

One thing is for sure, it would not take long for Josh Gordon and Evans to challenge to be the top wideout tandem in the NFL if he in fact is the pick for Cleveland at No. 4 overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked into the talk of Jacksonville WR Justin Blackmon possibly not playing in 2014 since that could take WR Sammy Watkins off the board by pick #4.

So as I was kicking around Jacksonville stories trying to get a firm grip on what they might do I found the following tidbits:

First, it doesn't seem like they will go QB with the first pick but they do seem intriuged with Manziel. Oh and their GM said that if they trade-down past the 10th pick it would cost a team a 2015 1st round pick. The thought seems to be that they do like QB Johnny Manziel but not at pick #3 but if they trade-down to say Tennessee at pick #11 they 'could' take him theere and get a 2015 1st round pick.

Jacksonville's GM Dave Caldwell said two teams had already discussed trades within those parameters so if the Jags don't trade down and the guy that the two-teams who contacted him is still there then we would have that same option of trading down past the 10th pick and picking up an extra 1st round pick next year.

Good information to know what we could expect if the guy we want at #4 is gone or if we think we could slide down 6 or 7 spots and still get that guy and pick up a 2015 1st round pick. Oh and Caldwell said that the 2015 would be only part of any trade-down package so that hints their would have to include more than a 2015 1st round pick.

Here's the blurb:

http://members.jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400642/hays-carlyon/2014-05-02/jaguars-general-manager-dave-caldwell-open-trading-or

... Caldwell did say that moving to No. 10 or beyond would require a 2015 first-round pick to come in the package. He also stated that two teams have already called about a trade.

This week will be spent largely getting the interest for any trade out in the open. Teams only have 10 minutes to make first-round selections, so it’s a challenge to work a deal from scratch in that time frame.

“Ideally, I like to let teams know before you get on the clock if they have some interest in trading up,” Caldwell said.
Caldwell also said he could find a QB in the second round or later and that he would not be moving-up from the second round into the twenties to get a QB. Obviously hinting about possibly moving-up to get ahead of us at pick #26 should a QB start falliing into the 20s.

This seems like they are dead-set on taking WR Sammy Watkins as a first option with OLB/DE Kalil Mack second. Obviously the chatter concerning suspended WR Justin Blackmon possibly not playing this year has pushed Watkins up their board and they really don't seem fixated on taking a QB high in the draft which is good news for us because if they pass and we pass and Oakland passes on a QB and only Minnesota takes a QB in the top-ten it would mean either Manziel or Bridgewater 'could' fall to the #26th pick and it doesn't seem like Jacksonville would be inclinded to try and jump ahead of us to take a sliding QB.

http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-05-02/story/manziel-most-ready-top-draft-qbs-says-jaguars-gm-caldwell

... The Jaguars are still expected to go receiver or pass rusher if they stay put at No. 3 and then address quarterback at No. 39 or later.

Or the Manziel-Jaguars talk could mean something: Maybe he has made enough of an impression since he first met the Jaguars in late February that they could shock the league by taking him at No. 3 or later in the top 10 if they trade down.

If Jadeveon Clowney goes first and Sammy Watkins second, the Jaguars’ best option wouldn’t be Khalil Mack — they can find a pass rusher next year, especially one who wouldn’t have to learn a new position. Plus, the Jaguars need players who can score touchdowns more than they need players who can play defense.

In the aforementioned scenario, quarterback makes the most sense, particularly Manziel or Bortles, because of how many teams will be interested in passers before the second round is complete.

The Jaguars draft third and then not until No. 39.

Caldwell said he doesn’t expect a run on quarterbacks late in the first round.

“Not in the 20s,” he said. “I could see early second round.”

For that reason, if the Jaguars don’t go Manziel or another passer at No. 3, Caldwell doesn’t feel he’s gambling by waiting.

“I think there will be guys [available], not only in the second round, but all the way down through the end of the draft, to be honest with you,” he said.

I know this is always the most exciting time of year for us Browns fans, but something just feels different this year. Can't remember the last time I was this excited for a draft.

Just feels like we're close to finally turning a corner here... and unlike years past when we'd turn a corner and smack head first into a brick wall, we might actually get this one right.

it's possible they could trade back up into the first round and end up with three first round picks.
peter king just mentioned that

No. 26, Cleveland. Time to get a quarterback, right? Not so fast. GM Ray Farmer has asked at least one team low in the round about trading back into the first round from Cleveland’s second-round slot. That leads me to think Cleveland wants to get ahead of Houston, another obvious quarterback hotspot, and get a passer with a third first-round pick. That leads me to …

No. 32, Seattle. Think about the advantages of picking, saying, 35th instead of 32nd if you’re the Seahawks. Every dime is going to count going forward because of pricey vets like Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman who must be re-signed. Last year, the difference between the 32nd pick (safety Matt Elam) and 35th pick (tight end Zach Ertz) was $350,000 per year. Not a huge sum, but when you add a $1.4 million total difference between 32 and 35 to the fact that the Seahawks might be able to get a low-fourth-round pick for moving down three slots—and you remember how good Seattle’s been in the later rounds of drafts—you start to think John Schneider has to be thinking about this too. That’s if Cleveland would do a deal low in round one. But it’s intriguing. All Seattle would lose is the ability to add a fifth-year option by keeping its first-round pick. I think the advantages of saving $1.4 million and adding a mid-round prospect outweigh the edge of the fifth-year option.

it's possible they could trade back up into the first round and end up with three first round picks.
peter king just mentioned thatNo. 26, Cleveland. Time to get a quarterback, right? Not so fast. GM Ray Farmer has asked at least one team low in the round about trading back into the first round from Cleveland’s second-round slot. That leads me to think Cleveland wants to get ahead of Houston, another obvious quarterback hotspot, and get a passer with a third first-round pick. That leads me to …

No. 32, Seattle. Think about the advantages of picking, saying, 35th instead of 32nd if you’re the Seahawks. Every dime is going to count going forward because of pricey vets like Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman who must be re-signed. Last year, the difference between the 32nd pick (safety Matt Elam) and 35th pick (tight end Zach Ertz) was $350,000 per year. Not a huge sum, but when you add a $1.4 million total difference between 32 and 35 to the fact that the Seahawks might be able to get a low-fourth-round pick for moving down three slots—and you remember how good Seattle’s been in the later rounds of drafts—you start to think John Schneider has to be thinking about this too. That’s if Cleveland would do a deal low in round one. But it’s intriguing. All Seattle would lose is the ability to add a fifth-year option by keeping its first-round pick. I think the advantages of saving $1.4 million and adding a mid-round prospect outweigh the edge of the fifth-year option.
Intriguing, thanks for posting that.

My ideal draft ahead of the Browns goes like this.

Houston - Mack or Clowney

St. Louis - Atlanta trades up to take Mack or Clowney

Jacksonville - Manziel

As long as we don't take a QB here I'll be happy.

peter king just mentioned thatNo. 26, Cleveland. Time to get a quarterback, right? Not so fast. GM Ray Farmer has asked at least one team low in the round about trading back into the first round from Cleveland’s second-round slot. That leads me to think Cleveland wants to get ahead of Houston, another obvious quarterback hotspot, and get a passer with a third first-round pick. That leads me to …

Intriguing, thanks for posting that.
he does not say what he thinks they'll do at 4

here are his thoughts on 1-3

No. 1, Houston. The buzz about a trade-down or Khalil Mack to Houston instead of Jadeveon Clowney won’t die. The Texans are doing a good job of sending mixed signals to the GM community, that’s for sure. Mack’s in the dark, which is to be expected. I can’t see Atlanta mortgaging the farm on any player, so if the Texans want to trade down, the return likely won’t be a ransom.

Nos. 2 and 13, St. Louis. I sense the Rams like Greg Robinson at two—over Sammy Watkins and Jake Matthews. A St. Louis contingent went to Auburn on Thursday to work out Robinson; no negatives surfaced. More mystery about 13. The Rams really like Johnny Manziel, and if he were there at 13 (which is unlikely), they would consider picking him. His workout for the Rams on Friday in Texas, with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer running the show, was impressive, as was the 80-minute post-workout session in the meeting room with Schottenheimer and coach Jeff Fisher, among others. One other piece of knowledge I got confirmed Sunday: Rams GM Les Snead recently went to Texas Tech and met at length with coach Kliff Kingsbury—Manziel’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at A&M in 2012—and came away thinking Manziel could adjust to life well as an NFL passer. Does that mean the Rams will take Manziel if he’s there at 13? I am still dubious. But I can tell you the Rams like him a lot.

No. 3, Jacksonville. A peer of GM David Caldwell said Sunday he knows a big Jag priority will be to play it safe with this pick. Sammy Watkins or Jake Matthews … quite safe.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2048330-2014-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-final-7-round-picks

no one is gonna like that mock

he has the browns passing on mack for manziel
The Browns have to fix the CB2 position.

They gave up far too many TD passes in the 2nd half of games.

I'm ok with Watkins, Evans, Matthews, or Robinson at 4, but they need to get a better CB2 than Skrine.

They do recognize this issue, that's why they talked to Tampa Bay about Revis.

I'm very nervous that draft day they are going to Weeden me and take a QB at 4 or 26.

If Manziel fell to 26, (which he won't), I'd be ok with taking a shot with him there.

I need to stop posting in this thread and just go get into a medically induced coma until the draft starts.

Browns pick has to come down to Clowney, Mack, Watkins, or Donald - doesn't it?

I can't see taking a right tackle or QB at that spot. And I'm a Manziel fan.

if they think manzeil is a franchise QB they should take him

what was the last franchise qb this team had? Testeverde?

Donald has no business going in the top 5. There's nothing wrong with taking a T there, even if he plays RT for a few seasons. 2 teams in the top 3 did it last year. Also, just because we don't see the QBs as worth the 4 pick it doesn't mean Clev or somebody else doesn't. They could have a much higher separation and grade on 1 of the QBs and we just don't know it. If so, you take him. Barr, Gilbert and Evans could all be in play at 4 as well IMO. Certainly ahead of Donald.

Donald has no business going in the top 5. There's nothing wrong with taking a T there, even if he plays RT for a few seasons. 2 teams in the top 3 did it last year. Also, just because we don't see the QBs as worth the 4 pick it doesn't mean Clev or somebody else doesn't. They could have a much higher separation and grade on 1 of the QBs and we just don't know it. If so, you take him. Barr, Gilbert and Evans could all be in play at 4 as well IMO. Certainly ahead of Donald.
Why do you say that?

Gilbert is the guy that doesn't belong in the top 5. None of the corners do.

Why do you say that? Gilbert is the guy that doesn't belong in the top 5. None of the corners do.
Gilbert deserves to be in the discussion and is a top 10 player. Donald doesn't. He's solid no doubt, but the hype train has gone off the tracks.

Donald is apparently the guy "everyone wants" but noone is talking about...

Think he goes top 8
I disagree. Everyone is talking about Donald. Gilbert is the guy nobody is talking about and he's one of the best prospects in this class. Athleticism and ball skills of Peterson with a bit less size. He's very underrated among the media and here but NFL teams will love him.

Donald is apparently the guy "everyone wants" but noone is talking about...

Think he goes top 8
I disagree. Everyone is talking about Donald. Gilbert is the guy nobody is talking about and he's one of the best prospects in this class. Athleticism and ball skills of Peterson with a bit less size. He's very underrated among the media and here but NFL teams will love him.
hm.

I dunno, I spend a lot of time draft prepping... and I think Donald is like... tier 4 of guys being discussed... which means very rarely.

but he's going to get some press when he goes early, Im telling you.

Defemse os very-scheme specific.

If a guy fits your scheme you will value him higher than someone who doesn't fit.

That is why their is some chatter of the Texans favoring Mack over Clowney.

Its because Clowney didn't test well in his drops as an outside linebacker. He's a pure 4-3 DE. He 'could' play OLB but his value as the first pick in the draft is as a pure 4-3 DE. Every team mixes and matches. No one plays vanilla-D anymore but if the majority of your Defensive snaps are in a 3-4 base then you'd want either a 3-4 OLB or DE. Just makes sense.

Arron Donald is a pure 4-3 3-tech DT.

He isn't a good fit for Pettine/O'Brien defensive base.

Clowney on the other hand would be a perfect fit as the super-sized OLB/DE joker position that Pettine had last year with Mario Williams. Never going to fall to us but.... Whew, thet'd be sweet if he did.

You guys are overlooking the obvious option.

Trade-down.

I think we stick at #4 and take either Mack or Watkins but trade-down would come next IMHO.

Gilbert is NOT a value at #4.

Why do you say that?
6'1, 280-285. That worries the hell outta me for an interior lineman.

Bracie Smathers said:
Defemse os very-scheme specific.

If a guy fits your scheme you will value him higher than someone who doesn't fit.

That is why their is some chatter of the Texans favoring Mack over Clowney.

Its because Clowney didn't test well in his drops as an outside linebacker. He's a pure 4-3 DE. He 'could' play OLB but his value as the first pick in the draft is as a pure 4-3 DE. Every team mixes and matches. No one plays vanilla-D anymore but if the majority of your Defensive snaps are in a 3-4 base then you'd want either a 3-4 OLB or DE. Just makes sense.

Arron Donald is a pure 4-3 3-tech DT.

He isn't a good fit for Pettine/O'Brien defensive base.

Clowney on the other hand would be a perfect fit as the super-sized OLB/DE joker position that Pettine had last year with Mario Williams. Never going to fall to us but.... Whew, thet'd be sweet if he did.

You guys are overlooking the obvious option.

Trade-down.

I think we stick at #4 and take either Mack or Watkins but trade-down would come next IMHO.

Gilbert is NOT a value at #4.
I was going to being this up as well. Donald to Clev is a horrible scheme fit. Donald is actually a horrible scheme fit for most teams as he's pretty one dimensional as a 4-3 3 tech guy. There is no use for him what so ever in Clev and he's not near a top 5 player. Trading down would be a nice option and I think Clev could have serius leverage with that as many seem to see the draft as having 4 elite talents. I'm of the opinion there are 3, but all it takes is a team willing.

Gilbert isn't value at 4, no. He's a far better option than Donald though. Gilbert is around 9 overall for me. Donald is around 17.

RBM said:
Understandable. But John Randle does seem like a decent comparison. Same height.Geno Atkins is 6'1" too.
Not sure Randle helps things here. He was undrafted because his size was such a concern.Atkins was a 4th round selection as well.

Sure they both turned into great NFL players but they both also feel in the draft because of size concerns.

RBM said:
Understandable. But John Randle does seem like a decent comparison. Same height.Geno Atkins is 6'1" too.
Not sure Randle helps things here. He was undrafted because his size was such a concern.Atkins was a 4th round selection as well.

Sure they both turned into great NFL players but they both also feel in the draft because of size concerns.
Lessons should have been learned from discounting them.

My final 2 predictions for Cleveland:

1) Watkins at #4

2) Small trade down and taking Mike Evans

---------------------

This is how Im rolling into the draft.

---------------------

Ill also be very happy if Mack goes in the top 3, as Im in the small minority of folk who rate Barr higher.

1) Watkins at #4

---------------------

---------------------

Ill also be very happy if Mack goes in the top 3, as Im in the small minority of folk who rate Barr higher.
I'm not sure trading down will net you Evans. Oak, TB and Buf could all have him high on their boards.

Question from someone in the NFL media -

"As a Cleveland fan what do you want to hear that will make you feel good about next seaason? What do you want to know/ be told as a fan?"

I am happy to pass along your answers

1) Watkins at #4

---------------------

---------------------

I'm not sure trading down will net you Evans. Oak, TB and Buf could all have him high on their boards.
I have them trading w ATL possibly.

Just a prediction, could easily get stomped out

Question from someone in the NFL media -

"As a Cleveland fan what do you want to hear that will make you feel good about next seaason? What do you want to know/ be told as a fan?"

I am happy to pass along your answers
"with the no4 pick in the 2014 NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns select, Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson."

Quick rumor that popped-up and then quicky was quashed, lol.

Armando Salguero@ArmandoSalguero · 2h

Cleveland Browns are emerging as a strong possible trade down partner for Dolphins and other teams drafting in 18-22 range of 1st rd

Armando Salguero@ArmandoSalguero · 2h

Folks, a Dolphins trade down, back is not them going from No. 19 to No. 4.Not happening. It is trading in other direction. Back. Down.

Rumors of Clev trying to add a 3rd 1st. Personally I don't think they are going to be able to land the QB they want that late in the 1st.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000346571/article/will-cleveland-browns-trade-for-third-firstround-pick
Not buying any of the crap that comes spewing out this week.
I've noticed the rumors the day before and day of have been more legitimate the couple of years. Some are being leaked to try to catch another team panicking, but not everything. I'll start paying more attention come Wednesday.

Evan Silva‏@evansilva8m

On 'On the Clock,' Mort hinted he'd expect #Browns to take Manziel at 4 if #Rams take Greg Robinson at 2. (Most common mock draft scenario.)
Interesting. Some earlier talk leading to this tweet suggests the Rams might take Manziel at 2, but in the more logical scenario where the Rams take the tackle Robinson, Cleveland takes Manziel at 4.

Evan Silva‏@evansilva8m

On 'On the Clock,' Mort hinted he'd expect #Browns to take Manziel at 4 if #Rams take Greg Robinson at 2. (Most common mock draft scenario.)
Interesting. Some earlier talk leading to this tweet suggests the Rams might take Manziel at 2, but in the more logical scenario where the Rams take the tackle Robinson, Cleveland takes Manziel at 4.
this thread could break if the browns take Manziel at 4

FWIW, Charlie Casserly laughed at the notion of Manziel going in the top 10. Said he doesn't think he's going in round 1.

FWIW, Charlie Casserly laughed at the notion of Manziel going in the top 10. Said he doesn't think he's going in round 1.
You mean the two time ex-General Manager Charlie Casserly?

The guy that took Shuler at #3 and Carr at #1?

You mean the two time ex-General Manager Charlie Casserly?The guy that took Shuler at #3 and Carr at #1?
He said Shuler was a mistake. A time where he learned not to overdraft a player because of position, ie QB. He admitted it was a reach. That is basically what he's saying about Manziel.

@AdamSchefter: And @mortreport reports he'd expect the Browns to snap up QB Johnny Manziel with the No. 4 pick if he's still there.

m.twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Users who are viewing this thread