What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (11 Viewers)

Watched it twice already.  Chills.  Love how he always brings the fans back into it - "Only thing missing is you."
These go with Jimmy's video.

----------------------------------------------

Ross Tucker@RossTuckerNFL

McDermott has been stellar. Ron Rivera is a great story. But Kevin Stefanski is the head coach of an 11-5, playoff-bound CLEVELAND BROWNS team that was an absolute mess last year. And thus your Coach of the Year in the NFL.

📷       Picture  says it all.  

Now the playoffs.

For anyone wondering about the play calling/player use at RB yesterday.  This is what I suspected.

----------------------------------------

Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

I think that had more to do with saving Chubb for the playoffs. The past two weeks, Chubb only has like 23 carries. I think that was deliberate. They need him fresh, because he's going to get the ball a ton. Also, trying to get Hunt to reverse his trend of poor play.

Dana ’s CLE@dwed22

It’s like Stefanski was trying to give them equal snaps. Every other series and brings Hunt in on 3rd down. It’s my one knock on Kevin. Chubb gets better as the game goes on, but can’t get into it with this type of rotation.

-------------------------------------

Scott Petrak ct@ScottPetrak

#Browns coach Kevin Stefanski on RB rotation Sunday: We wanted to make sure we had fresh guys this week

-------------------------------------

That took some cojones.  

We got the HC right.

The RB workload didn't bother me until the potential game clinching drive. Chubb needed to be out there at that moment. His absence put us in a position to need to stop a 2 pointer and almost lose an onside kick. Result ended up being fine, but I think he got too close to the fire on that drive.

The RB workload didn't bother me until the potential game clinching drive. Chubb needed to be out there at that moment. His absence put us in a position to need to stop a 2 pointer and almost lose an onside kick. Result ended up being fine, but I think he got too close to the fire on that drive.
Everyone saw what was happening, the only logical reason was to save his legs for this week's game which means Kevin pushed in all chips for THIS WEEK.  

Like I said.  Cajones.

The DBs are the only reason why the game was even close.  Everything I saw convinced me that Mason Rudolph is not an NFL QB.  He was lofting up balloons and counting on jump ball completions.  That works against third string CBs.  We have Denzel and KJ and the game would have remained out of reach.  

This week we get more than one day of practice and both our offensive line coaches back so the O-Line 'should' look as sharp as it did the last time everyone was healthy and tuned-up.

Chubb has fresh legs.

We have our WRs.

Baker is 'in-the-zone'. 

COVID, injuries, and a defense that wasn't very good to begin with are the issues but they can play above their talent level.

We are in and can let it all hang out.  Gonna be fun.

Everyone saw what was happening, the only logical reason was to save his legs for this week's game which means Kevin pushed in all chips for THIS WEEK.  

Like I said.  Cajones.

The DBs are the only reason why the game was even close.  Everything I saw convinced me that Mason Rudolph is not an NFL QB.  He was lofting up balloons and counting on jump ball completions.  That works against third string CBs.  We have Denzel and KJ and the game would have remained out of reach.  

This week we get more than one day of practice and both our offensive line coaches back so the O-Line 'should' look as sharp as it did the last time everyone was healthy and tuned-up.

Chubb has fresh legs.

We have our WRs.

Baker is 'in-the-zone'. 

COVID, injuries, and a defense that wasn't very good to begin with are the issues but they can play above their talent level.

We are in and can let it all hang out.  Gonna be fun.
Correct, which is why I said what I said this time last week when Ward went on covid reserve. Our chances of winning are remote, at best, if he's still out. I wouldn't bet on us with him because he's only one part of an otherwise terrible coverage unit, but we'd at least have a chance because of everything else you mentioned (Goodson, M Smith, and as much as it pains me to say it Sendejo back too).

Were our OL coaches just close contacts? I thought they were positive, so I wasn't expecting them back this week.

Nate Ulrich@ByNateUlrich

#Browns RT Jack Conklin said we're back to a clean slate in the playoffs, records don't matter, it's going to be extra physical, do or die

------------------------------------------------------

No punches pulled.  

We knew it would be a physical game.

Can't wait.

i could see the Browns coming out on Sunday playing like “they’ve got nothing to lose.”  

vs. yesterday when they seemed to be playing tight.  

or maybe all that jazz doesn’t really matter.  

we’ll see what Stefanski can figure out with the Xs and Os.  

if they can beat Pittsburgh next weekend, i’ll be impressed.   

Ravens fan here, I actually thought the Browns showed some promising signs but the game just got away from them. OBJ dropping that first down conversion led to a 10-point (or more) swing and then the 99-yard drive put the game into trash time. Once they abandoned Chubb, it was over.

But I was very impressed with both running backs. For the entire first half, if the Ravens DL didn't stuff the play at the line, they were immediately into the secondary. The Ravens' LBs weren't making any plays on the RBs. It felt really strange how much they forced the ball to OBJ, they were much more successful doing literally anything else. 

Depending on the spread, I might actually beat on Cleveland this week. I think it was a growing pains game and that the Browns are better than they showed.
Told you back in Week One this team was good! Hoping you guys beat the Steelers - if the Browns do that, and the Ravens can beat Tennessee, that keeps Baltimore out of KC until the AFC Championship. And if both our teams can win 2 road games, then we'll meet in Baltimore for the AFC Championship ourselves. 

If the Browns are healthy, I give them a 50-50 shot vs Pittsburgh. It would be even more than that, except I've seen Ben go crazy with the no-huddle in the second half and somehow overcome a sizable deficit. I can definitely see that happening again this week.

Why have we not seen more of Hunt and Chubb on the field together? Especially in short yardage situations. Even the Jets game where we ran out practice squad WRs we only saw it once (and it was play #1). 

Why have we not seen more of Hunt and Chubb on the field together? Especially in short yardage situations. Even the Jets game where we ran out practice squad WRs we only saw it once (and it was play #1). 
I was distracted driving, but Stefanski mentioned they haven't installed many sets with both on the field at the same time. 

This COVID #### is gonna kill our chances. Can we just shut the place down, fill it full of bleach for a day and get on with it?

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1346488144259145729?s=20

"We were informed this morning that Head Coach Kevin Stefanski, two additional members of the coaching staff and two players have tested positive for COVID-19. Our contingency planning calls for Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer to serve as the acting Head Coach."

I was today years old when I learned the backup HC for the Browns is the Special Teams coach

Last edited by a moderator:
Stefanski + 2 more players test positive. Facilities closed
Jesus. 

No practice, at least two more players OUT.  

At the end of the game did you see basically every player on both sides hugging it out without face masks?

I was looking at that thinking what it the hell are they doing?

If no Pittsburgh players get hit it will be a miracle because their were a ton of unmasked players hugging and drawing one another in speaking directly into the face of the other guy.  

Stefanski's play calling is one of the most un-recognized part of this season.

The special teams coach was supposed to be one of the best but this year our ST have not been impressive.  This has disaster written all over it.

I wonder if the end of the NFL season didn’t correspond with the holiday season if we would have seen some playoff teams quarantining as a team.

Jesus. 

No practice, at least two more players OUT.  

At the end of the game did you see basically every player on both sides hugging it out without face masks?

I was looking at that thinking what it the hell are they doing?

If no Pittsburgh players get hit it will be a miracle because their were a ton of unmasked players hugging and drawing one another in speaking directly into the face of the other guy.  

Stefanski's play calling is one of the most un-recognized part of this season.

The special teams coach was supposed to be one of the best but this year our ST have not been impressive.  This has disaster written all over it.
I see the concern, but I also don't see it as different than any other game that went on this year as far as the hugging after the game without masks.

I see the concern, but I also don't see it as different than any other game that went on this year as far as the hugging after the game without masks.
You don't?

When ER's are overflowing, after the holidays when a huge wave is expected, with a team that is in the middle of an outbreak?  You don't see anything that is different right now for a team that made the playoffs for the first time in 18 years?  None?  Please.

im not even getting mad anymore

Playoffs was a dream. We achieved it. 

Yea, it absolutely sucks. Ya, id LOVE to beat PIT... But whatever. The universe is spiralling
Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

The first playoff game for the Browns since 2002 suddenly has taken on the feel of a glorified exhibition.

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero

#Browns LG Joel Bitonio and WR KhaDarel Hodge tested positive for COVID-19, per sources.

------------------------------------------------

EDIT:  Should be pointed out that Bitonio had possibly his worst game of the season Sunday.  He was awful so I have to imagine he was infected while playing.

THREE different strains have hit this team? 

Come on.  I mean wat?

-------------------------------------------------

David Todd@DavidMTodd

I’m not a medical expert, but this appears to be a bad look for the #Browns. If I’m following the logic correctly, it appears 3 different people acquired the virus outside the team. #Steelers

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero

The NFL's medical experts believe last week's #Browns COVID cases were all from community spread, not a facility outbreak. Genomic sequencing showed three different strains of virus, I'm told. No positive tests Sunday or Monday. But now, 5 positives today and facility is closed.

You don't?

When ER's are overflowing, after the holidays when a huge wave is expected, with a team that is in the middle of an outbreak?  You don't see anything that is different right now for a team that made the playoffs for the first time in 18 years?  None?  Please.
What I meant was that I see players without masks hugging at the end of every game I've watched this year. I didn't say "I don't see anything wrong with it." I'm not getting into the discussion about the virus. The hugging has been happening without masks all year. If the players were doing this in September, they're going to continue it until told not to.

What I meant was that I see players without masks hugging at the end of every game I've watched this year. I didn't say "I don't see anything wrong with it." I'm not getting into the discussion about the virus. The hugging has been happening without masks all year. If the players were doing this in September, they're going to continue it until told not to.
The NFL has changed, they issued new protocols in late November.

Their are all sorts of rules in the updated protocols.

Memo details updates to NFL's COVID-19 protocols; masks required for players on sidelines Published: Nov 23, 2020 at 07:42 PM

As coronavirus positive cases rise throughout the country, it is another step taken by the league to aid in combatting the spread of COVID-19 and it altering the 2020 season.

... Postgame interactions between players and/or staff will be limited.
The NFL saw this coming because they anticipated a spike during the holidays.

All NFL teams to operate in COVID-19 intensive protocol starting Saturday Published: Nov 18, 2020 at 03:12 PM

...  "The upcoming holidays, beginning with Thanksgiving next week, will introduce new risks of exposure that we need to address now," Commissioner Roger Goodell wrote in a memo to teams Wednesday, obtained by NFL Media.

...  But the NFL is unquestionably impacted by the skyrocketing case numbers around the country. Earlier this week, Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL's chief medical officer, said that genome testing performed on every positive case, has indicated that the virus has not been spreading within teams since the intensive and high-risk close contact protocols were put in place. Rather, the increase in the number of positive cases on teams in recent weeks is coming from community spread outside of the team -- players and coaches are catching the virus from someone they interact with outside of the team, a reflection of the difficulties of playing without a bubble during the country's failure to contain the virus. Goodell's memo also said it is likely that further changes to the protocol will likely be necessary as the season continues.
The NFL is covering its butt by saying the new cases are not from team facilities.  That way they can't get sued by players, coaches, staff.  

I can cynically say that any new cases will magically show genome sequencing from OUTSIDE of team facilities.

Are there no Saban / false positive protocols in the nfl or once you’re positive it’s over?
I don’t know the procedure, but yes, if it is determined to be a false positive the player can be re-activated. It just happened to Buffalo TE Tyler Kroft. He tested positive, sat out Week 17, and was re-activated yesterday after it was determined to be a false positive.

they still have Mayfield, Chubb, Garrett and Ward.

let's see how the game goes before we start crying in our cheerios.

seriously, Keenum and Mayfield should know how to run the offense by now.

Nice timing Wood.

NEWSWR Rashard Higgins cited for drag racing in Westlake

Browns receiver Rashard Higgins was cited for drag racing Tuesday morning in Westlake, according to the Westlake Police incident report obtained by The Chronicle-Telegram.

Two cars were stopped by police and given traffic citations, one with Texas license plates — Higgins is from Dallas — and one with Georgia plates. The report listed the time as 9:26 a.m.

The location was at Coventry Drive and Crocker Road.

A substance suspected as a marijuana joint was found and destroyed on camera under officer supervision, the report said. The initial report didn’t state in which vehicle or on what person the suspected marijuana was found. The full report is expected to be available Wednesday....

So, I have a source on the Browns. The info I’ve received has typically been pretty accurate. Apparently they expect a bunch more positives popping up. But they’ve been told by the league that they don’t have any outs, they have to play the game as scheduled.

And I won’t get into the details, but there were some options on the table that may have prevented a lot of this spread, and the Browns chose the option with the most risk and are potentially paying the price now.

So, I have a source on the Browns. The info I’ve received has typically been pretty accurate. Apparently they expect a bunch more positives popping up. But they’ve been told by the league that they don’t have any outs, they have to play the game as scheduled.

And I won’t get into the details, but there were some options on the table that may have prevented a lot of this spread, and the Browns chose the option with the most risk and are potentially paying the price now.
Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot

#Browns Stefanski says the team has had no new positive tests today. He said he’s fine and his family is fine and he’s most concerned about everyone else

-----------------------------------------------------

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

As long as there are no more positive tests, Sunday night‘s Browns-Steelers game will be played as scheduled. Issue arises if there are more positives...

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Tests on the rest of the Browns’ players came back negative this morning, per source.

Browns haven't won a road playoff game since 1969
It typically is incredibly difficult to win a road playoff game.  I believe we've only won four in the entire history of the Cleveland Browns dating back to the AAFC in the forties with Otto Graham but this year is different without the crowds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick Gosselin@RickGosselin9

NFL home teams won 56.7 percent of their games in the 2010 decade. But in 2020, for the first time in history, NFL home teams lost more games (128) than they won (127). There also was one tie.

i think back to big game baker in college and hope that this weekend triggers that monster aura within him. 

he was who i wanted at 1. he's who i believed would bring us back. but now he REALLY has to show he can drag us upwards

we talked about TD:INT ratio a few weeks back, i had a minute so i thought i'd look up the final numbers for the season:

Mayfield threw 26 TDs to 8 INTs to up his ratio to 3.25 : 1 on the season.  

for his career, he's now at 75 TDs to 43 INTs for a 1.74 : 1 ratio, which puts him at #28 currently on the all time TD:INT ratio list.

the question is if he will maintain the ratio he had this year, especially if they start asking him to throw more.

as an interesting aside, the Browns in the 2020 season threw the ball 501 times vs. 495 runs, putting them at #4 on the list of most rushing plays by percentage. (48.3%)

(Baltimore was #1 this year with a staggering 55.89% rushing percentage.)

(Pittsburgh was #31 at 35.76%.  No wonder the Browns don't match up well with them defensively.)

Users who are viewing this thread