What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (7 Viewers)

i think they took the first offer they got on Richardson cause they thought he sucked.

someone made me an offer on David Wilson after the neck injury. it was a crappy offer, but i took it before they changed their minds, cause i don't think he's going to play football again.

The rationalization will be the front office thinks McDaniels, or a number of other potential HCs, are better than Chud. They ####ed up last year and they want to fix it now rather than later. Nobody here is looking for your pity, bojang.

Every front office person in the league said the colts were crazy for making that trade. You're getting decision maker's confused with media hyperbole.

All it would have taken is another few weeks of TRich sucking or an injury (very possible) to drive the price down, or take trades off the table completely. You are offered a NFL 1st rd pick for a player you want nothing of and believe is overrated, you take it. And that doesn't even get into what would have happened if (I mean when) shopping TRich to the league went public.

I hate Manziel.

That being said.... take him late 1st, early 2nd after you take an o-lineman and/or someone like ha-ha

That boy passing to Gordon could be nastyyyyy

We will have to overpay for free agents to come here. Our CEO won't over pay free agents. He also won't overpay to keep our own.

We have holes that could be filled in March, but they won't. We'll get guys like Chris Owens and Gary Barnridge. The player's number one priority is money, but why would they take 2% more to come to this cesspool? Assuming we even offer more. We probably won't.
Every team overpays for free agents, that is why free agency isn't the way to building successful teams but many times prevents teams from ever being built correctly.

Pittsburgh keeps losing talent because they refuse to overpay and people stroke their nutz for that philosophy so you can't have it in creating the perfect Debbie Downer world http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk where instead of everything coming up roses only Cleveland loses both ways with the heads Browns lose tails other teams win.

The Browns didn't only sign CB Chris Owens and TE Gary Barnage. They also signed QB Brian Hoyer and DE Desmond Bryant and extended OT Joe Thomas, etc et el. So if I ONLY POINTED OUT the good free agent signings how would you reply? You would never point out the bad signings right? Uh yeah, right.

Last year the front office made some good free agent signings and if RB Edwin Baker pans out or the WR Charles Johnson is a find, or if Hoyer starts and plays well next year. Then last year's free agent additions will be the best since the retun.

The one thing I've found out about this front office is they make bold moves that shock everyone like the two trades in last year's draft to acquire extra third and fourth round 2014 draft selections and the big trade of RB Trent Richardson to acquire an extra 2014 first round pick which means we finally get to see what they can do by making forward thinking trades.

We saw that Holmgren and Heckertt complete BLEW the extra picks that they got in the Julio Jones draft day deal, WR Greg Little, FB Owen Marecic, QB Brandon Weeden, any extra picks blown moving up ONE SPOT for RB Trent Richardson.

Who was that idiot on draft day 2012 who reemed me for saying I was against that trade and for taking Weeden in the first round? It wasn't you Mac so I'm not calling you out but it was obvious to anyone with half a brain those deals sucked and I knew Holmgren BLEW IT at that time.

This front office is a hell of a lot smarter than Holmgren who said if he was the Browns head coach and the team had traded him away that he would walk.

We haven't heard much from Mikey since he made that assinine comment and he should till it plays out.

We'll have a better insight by next May.

What about the free agents we have reached out to and nit gotten? Last year's CB market sticks out, it's why we settled for Owens.

It's going to get worse. Players talk, this may be the least desireable location in the entire league now.

What about the free agents we have reached out to and nit gotten? Last year's CB market sticks out, it's why we settled for Owens.

It's going to get worse. Players talk, this may be the least desireable location in the entire league now.
Free agency isn't shopping where you have a list and simply pick what you want.

The pool of free agents never is as deep as first thought and the guys who fans slobber over hardly ever get taken by teams where the fans have lost their minds over a particular player.

Typically thier are only a handful of truly top notch free agents and that small handful of players get snatched up first and are paid top dollar. Teams get lucky if they find someone later who can play. We actually had a solid free agent crop, DE Desmond Bryant, we overpaid for Kruger but he played solid against the run and got pressure but little sacks, Hoyer was an unexpected find who many criticized Lombardi for taking, same with Jason Cambel, and Edwin Baker looks decent. If you want to mention the trade for Davone Bess, fine. Just make sure to note that Dion Lewis looked good in camp and preseason before he got injured and he is going to be back next year.

And the crap about Cleveland being undesireable is overplayed, whaa whaaaa whaaaaaaaaaa every year. Broken record.

That is nothing but wounded egos of people who actually think that players look down on their team. Basically meaning that their team is sooooooooo bad that no one would ever sign there but every year guess what? Miraculously their team signs players.

How does that happen?

Miracle?

No.

Money.

Every front office person in the league said the colts were crazy for making that trade. You're getting decision maker's confused with media hyperbole.
That sums it up pretty well.

For another fantasy football analogy, I had an offer for Richardson that I took right before the weekly trade deadline. Maybe, MAYBE I could have gotten more if I shopped around. However, had I waited until that weeks game to do it, I would not have been able to get as much as I did. The guy's value plummeted on a weekly basis in fantasy, and the same was happening for his NFL value.

The browns didn't wanna wait around and end up getting a lot less than the first rounder that was GIFTED to them just to try and shop around for another week to maybe get a little more.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora is reporting the Browns are expected to hire Jim Schwartz as their defensive coordinator. They would make this hire before the head coach? Why would a team do that?

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora is reporting the Browns are expected to hire Jim Schwartz as their defensive coordinator. They would make this hire before the head coach? Why would a team do that?
only reason i can think of is they think he's the best available DC and want to lock him up.

also, they may already know who they are going to hire as HC and that person has given their OK to work w Schwartz.

remember, you have to comply with the Rooney rule before you can announce your HC hire. an i'm not sure if you can hire someone while they are still employed by a playoff team.

With McDaniels as our coach, Schwartz as our DC, and Johnny Football as our QB, we are going to be dooshbag city.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want Manziel, but if we are gonna suck it would at least make it better if we did it in entertaining fashion instead of the boring 6 yard out route variety.

Rather watch our QB bounce around for 9 seconds while plays break down and see 50 yard passes either ending in a TD or a stupid INT. What the hell, ya know

False Start said:
Was Horton really that bad?

Honestly that's what I've thought about today. McDaniels + Johnny....and now Schwartz. If we're gonna go down this road again, might as well be the polar opposite of everything else we've seen lately here. Hell, maybe we're coming full circle...

Denver breaks us in the 80's. In the 90's, Cleveland becomes one of the most important steps in BB's rise to legendary status. Then in the 00's, BB disciple and NE Ohioan McDaniels flounders unlike any other in Denver. He takes over for Shurmur as OC in Stl, while Shurmur comes to Cleveland to be one of the worst coaches in history, and finally finds his way back to BB for the last 2 1/2 years. Schwartz was even one of the slappies back in the '90s. Bring on Johnny...let's do this! lol

False Start said:

no, but the defense unraveled late several times and failed to show up sometimes too.I think it was more a product of the offense, but their play didn't help themselves.

False Start said:
Not at all. This defense was pretty good when you consider the switch to the 3-4 this year and the offense totally sucking.

ANy offensive stability at all and the D would have been ranked much higher than it already was.

False Start said:
Not at all. This defense was pretty good when you consider the switch to the 3-4 this year and the offense totally sucking.

ANy offensive stability at all and the D would have been ranked much higher than it already was.
The offense could not score late in games. But the defense also gave up leads consistently.

Honestly that's what I've thought about today. McDaniels + Johnny....and now Schwartz. If we're gonna go down this road again, might as well be the polar opposite of everything else we've seen lately here. Hell, maybe we're coming full circle...

Denver breaks us in the 80's. In the 90's, Cleveland becomes one of the most important steps in BB's rise to legendary status. Then in the 00's, BB disciple and NE Ohioan McDaniels flounders unlike any other in Denver. He takes over for Shurmur as OC in Stl, while Shurmur comes to Cleveland to be one of the worst coaches in history, and finally finds his way back to BB for the last 2 1/2 years. Schwartz was even one of the slappies back in the '90s. Bring on Johnny...let's do this! lol
I feel like we're about to turn heel in a professional wrestling storyline.

The offense could not score late in games. But the defense also gave up leads consistently.
The offense was pretty consistently putting the defense in a tough spot either with field position or just the inability to stay on the field.

Like the Begals game where they scored like 31 in the 2nd quarter. I think our offense gave them the ball in the redzone 3 times.

I feel like we're about to turn heel in a professional wrestling storyline.
Maybe if we make a bunch of obvious bad moves, all those negatives with multiply into a bunch of positives.

I agree. Let's do this. Let's go all out.

Some of these teams are struggling to sell out home playoff games. Makes me ill. I hope they lose in dramatic fashion.

Sounds like we're pretty interested in Malzahn also. Not sure that works for me, but I don't really know much about him.

Sounds like we're pretty interested in Malzahn also. Not sure that works for me, but I don't really know much about him.
When I moved to Springdale Arkansas eight years ago, Gus was coaching the high school team where my daughter is going to attend next year. Now, he'll be interviewing for the top spot with the Browns. #crazy

Just a random thought on Johnny Fball.

Most of the great plays he makes just aren't going to happen in the NFL.

He definitely has talent, but I think it might take a good long while to beat it into his head that he can't play the same way in the NFL. Really, I haven't seen a TON of his play, but from what I have seen I don't want to take him at pick 4. If he is gone by our next pick, so be it.

False Start said:
Because Banner is an idiot.

Good luck with getting any notable name to sign on as HC if they do that.

What was Chud's contract like? Aren't coaches contracts guaranteed? Seem to remember a number of guys sitting out a season or two getting paid by their former employers...

What was Chud's contract like? Aren't coaches contracts guaranteed? Seem to remember a number of guys sitting out a season or two getting paid by their former employers...
haha, I believe Chud gets to sit home and make another 10 million over 3 years.

I dunno...one could surely argue the 10.5M owed Chud as positive. Many owners in sports just wouldn't sign off on that or even think of it as an option. Plus, Banner and Lombardi could have stuck with Chud another year which probably would have kept them employed an additional year down the road. They stoked the fire here.

I dunno...one could surely argue the 10.5M owed Chud as positive. Many owners in sports just wouldn't sign off on that or even think of it as an option. Plus, Banner and Lombardi could have stuck with Chud another year which probably would have kept them employed an additional year down the road. They stoked the fire here.
hi-Randy Lerner

Not to completely distract from the coaching/FO discussion, but I'm curious what Browns fans felt about Edwin Baker down the stretch. I didn't get to see any of the games, but I'm wondering if he's a decent offseason stash for dynasty, given his *decent* production and history with Norv, who the team supposedly wants to keep. Many say they're going to draft a RB, but teams often turn in-house for solutions if they feel the draft picks are better spent elsewhere.

Obviously a new HC will affect the whole team personnel and philosophy wise, but would you rather be stashing Baker or Dion Lewis at this point? Why?

Plus, Banner and Lombardi could have stuck with Chud another year which probably would have kept them employed an additional year down the road. They stoked the fire here.
i agree. it is nice to see them not going the conservative route.

Not to completely distract from the coaching/FO discussion, but I'm curious what Browns fans felt about Edwin Baker down the stretch. I didn't get to see any of the games, but I'm wondering if he's a decent offseason stash for dynasty, given his *decent* production and history with Norv, who the team supposedly wants to keep. Many say they're going to draft a RB, but teams often turn in-house for solutions if they feel the draft picks are better spent elsewhere.

Obviously a new HC will affect the whole team personnel and philosophy wise, but would you rather be stashing Baker or Dion Lewis at this point? Why?
Where are you getting they want to keep Norv? I've heard the opposite and he's all but officially been let go.

I'd rather stash Lewis because Bracie was pimping Baker above.

McDaniels being interviewed Saturday...the stars are aligning!

Baker looked like a decent backup.

Lewis probably 3rd down back.

Norv is not staying.

Where are you getting they want to keep Norv? I've heard the opposite and he's all but officially been let go.

I'd rather stash Lewis because Bracie was pimping Baker above.

McDaniels being interviewed Saturday...the stars are aligning!
I thought I read something the other day once Chud was fired that the speculation was they wanted to maintain all assistants on staff. Since then, they've obviously replaced Horton at DC, and I'm not sure Norv would stick around anyway, but I haven't heard anything to the contrary since.

Any HC would want to put his own staff in place, though, I would think...

If the Browns hire Schwartz as DC before hiring a HC it won't shock me.

But, when you are trying to be the worst team in the NFL you have to make moves like this to get there.

Baker looked like a decent backup.>>>> AGREE!

Lewis probably 3rd down back. >>>>>>>AGREE!

Norv is not staying.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I don't know
I think the Browns will make a run at Houston free agent RB Ben Tate and put him in competition with, Baker and Lewis and Obgannayo, and ??whoever with Tate getting the most reps and Lewis as the third down back with Baker and Silent-G as backups.

If Norv comes back then Obi probably continues in the fullback role.

Dion Lewis looked really good last year in camp and exhibition games so if he stays healthy he could be a legitmate sleeper for next year.

Hoyer QB

Tate RB

use your first 2 picks in the draft on o-line and potentially clowney

could see a huge improvement next season.

Users who are viewing this thread