What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clinton Portis (1 Viewer)

He's RB 14 in my 14-team league, and though he isn't Portis of old, he certainly is still getting the job done fantasy-wise. I would love to see hin rack up yards and TDs on a more consistent basis, but he is performing exactly the way I'd hoped for where I drafted him in the 2nd round.I think his situation -- staying relatively healthy, not splitting as much with Betts -- is stable and he seems to be produce=ing at my expectation level. Not sure he is someone I would trade, personally, but for those of you hoping to deal him, what value are you looking for in return?
It would help if we could see him play behind his strongest offensive line (Janssen and Thomas on the right would go along ways) before deciding if he's washed up or not. I personally contribute the lack of yards on the offensive line quite a bit.
Agreed, but the situation is what it is, and despite this, Portis is seemingly producing up to expectations even with the lack of his traditional yardage. I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't see Portis as someone that needs trading. For those that do, just interested in hearing what they think they can get for their percieved value of Portis.
I'm in the process of trying to move him - though, as this thread points out, I'm not entirely sure why. The MBIII owner is interested... It may be a case where each of us is a little disgruntled/disappointed in each guy's production. Whether we really should be, is another story. To address STC's question, I think MBIII's value is close to Portis. The obvious worry with MBIII is he's splitting time, where Portis is getting the majority of carries. That said, DAL offense is far superior to WASH. I wonder if the "psychology" of watching Portis not look that explosive is causing me/us to view him more negatively than we ought? Like it's been mentioned, production-wise, he's been decent/solid. I'm currently re-thinking my desire to trade CP...Portis is the 12th RB in points in my league, BTW. (MBIII is 7th)

I'll have to check where he ranks in our league. I've been very disappointed, and if he truly is top 10-12, it's been remarkably quiet production.
He's only performing at top 10-12 RB production right now, b/c guys like Sjax, Addai, SA, LJ, Gore have done NOTHING up to this point in the season...by the time the end of the year comes around, Portis will likely be no better than 20th, as some of these guys get on track.. he's really nothing special, he looks incredibly average...

I'll have to check where he ranks in our league. I've been very disappointed, and if he truly is top 10-12, it's been remarkably quiet production.
He's only performing at top 10-12 RB production right now, b/c guys like Sjax, Addai, SA, LJ, Gore have done NOTHING up to this point in the season...by the time the end of the year comes around, Portis will likely be no better than 20th, as some of these guys get on track.. he's really nothing special, he looks incredibly average...
I agree 100%.

Sjax would need to outscore Portis by about 5.5 pts/game the rest of the way to finish with a higher ranking.Addai is currently ahead of Portis, so he won't affect Portis' ranking. I'd hardly say that Addai's done nothing up to this point.If you think Portis looks incredibly average, what's SA? From what I hear, he doesn't look good.I agree LJ has a good shot to finish higher than Portis.Gore may be on a worse offense than Portis. I see no reason to immediately think he'll easily pass Portis.Assuming Portis doesn't miss significant time, there is NO WAY he finished in the 20s. If SA, LJ, and Gore have done NOTHING up to this point, then so has Portis. And, yet, Portis currently ranks higher.

He's 10th in FBGs ytd rankings both total and ppg.

The Ds he's faced so far ar the 31st, 8th, 12th, 18th, 15th, 5th ranked rush Ds so far this year, for an average of 14.29.

From this point forward he faces the 27th, 8th, 5th, 22nd, 24th, 26th, 12th, 3rd, 5th ranked rush Ds so far this year, for an average of 14.67.

I think you'll get more of the same from him this year, meaning he'll be 10th or close to it by year's end (if he can avoid injury). That stretch at the end is rough though, you might want to trade him around playoff time as that 26th ranked team is the Bears, who might have a better defense by that point. He's in a good offense for running backs, his team probably won't be down 35 points most of the time (like last week), I think he'll be productive going forward.

Mr Capicollo said:
I\'ll have to check where he ranks in our league. I\'ve been very disappointed, and if he truly is top 10-12, it\'s been remarkably quiet production.
That\'s usually the way it is with consistency. :shrug: More food for thought: what RB around Portis\' ranking in your league has more potential for increased scoring than he does?
MBIII? Better offense..I've been thinking of moving Portis, but like many in this thread have gone back and forth. Hard to argue with consistent points.

Gr00vus said:
He's 10th in FBGs ytd rankings both total and ppg.The Ds he's faced so far ar the 31st, 8th, 12th, 18th, 15th, 5th ranked rush Ds so far this year, for an average of 14.29.From this point forward he faces the 27th, 8th, 5th, 22nd, 24th, 26th, 12th, 3rd, 5th ranked rush Ds so far this year, for an average of 14.67.I think you'll get more of the same from him this year, meaning he'll be 10th or close to it by year's end (if he can avoid injury). That stretch at the end is rough though, you might want to trade him around playoff time as that 26th ranked team is the Bears, who might have a better defense by that point. He's in a good offense for running backs, his team probably won't be down 35 points most of the time (like last week), I think he'll be productive going forward.
12th in scoring in my league, and I don't see anyone passing him. Portis is averaging 3.8 ypc at this point and have to think it will pick up as the OLine develops a little more consistency as the season progresses. In the group of starting rb's behind him (and within reach), only these guys are averaging more ypc: KJ, Jamal, Jacobs, Foster, T. Henry, Gore and MJD (splits alot of carries.) KJ and Jamal are too far back to catch up unless they really get hot. Foster won't get enought touches. Henry isn't going to finish the season. Gore has a shot but man SanFran looks ugly lately. I would say the MJD has the best shot depending how much fragile Fred plays the rest of the year. Also, Marshawn is averaging 3.6 ypc and think that Portis will overtake the 11 spot after this week.On another note, Washington was pummeled last week and think they still have a shot at their division and a definite shot at the wild card... they're pissed and are going to take our their frustration on a poor Jets offense. This will be the break out game for Portis. 24-110 and 5-50, 1td. You read it here first! :shrug:

While year end standings are nice, I'm more interested in production from here on out. I can see Portis not being a top 10 back from this point forward due to some other guys upping their game, but I don't think he falls too far out of the top 10 going forward.

I read a comment from Al Saunders a week or two ago regarding Portis just now getting into gameshape ( I think this was right after their bye), due to him missing the entire preseason and almost all of the preseason practice leading up to the season because of the injuries from last year and the tendinitis in the knee.

I mean, surely that's a factor. It has to. And couple that with the O-line woes, and I really feel it might answer a few questions about CP allegedly having lost 'it'.

There aren't that many RBs in the league who still have as much upside as Portis does, both in the near future and long term(he still is 26)

I put Portis's problems at 50% lack of any holes by the O-line. 25% due to crappy play calling. 25% Portis looking slow. but the guy gives 110% every play. Just watch him blocking or going after fumbles. He's an old time football type of guy.

Now is everybody happy?

I'm sure there will be some poeple still hedging -- it's a breakout game, above the norm of his play so far this year, against a weaker rush D, etc.

Bottom line is that if you drafted Portis as your #2 RB, which I suspect most have given his preseason ADP, he is iving up to his expectations.

I will gladly continue to run Portis every week as long as he is healthy.

if the Skins line starts to gel (they have had to play a lot of new guys due to injuries) i would NOT be suprised to see Portis have RB #1 numbers for the rest of the season. Gibbs is definitely conservative, and would rather run than anything else. And the fact that he got 30 plus carries today says it all. Proud Portis owner in 7 leagues, and think he'll finish very strong.

Now is everybody happy?

I'm sure there will be some poeple still hedging -- it's a breakout game, above the norm of his play so far this year, against a weaker rush D, etc.

Bottom line is that if you drafted Portis as your #2 RB, which I suspect most have given his preseason ADP, he is iving up to his expectations.

I will gladly continue to run Portis every week as long as he is healthy.
yeah, not sure why people would complain, especially when most Portis owners got him on the cheap (when many on this board were proclaiming that he and Betts would split carries almost evenly). Portis has been a solid value pick this year.

if the Skins line starts to gel (they have had to play a lot of new guys due to injuries) i would NOT be suprised to see Portis have RB #1 numbers for the rest of the season. Gibbs is definitely conservative, and would rather run than anything else. And the fact that he got 30 plus carries today says it all. Proud Portis owner in 7 leagues, and think he'll finish very strong.
Randy Thomas should be coming back in December so that should really help Portis.

Redraft and dynasty are right around 10-12 range. Hopefully today silenced all of his haters. He is finally getting in to game shape after missing all pre-season.

I'll continue to shop him...and continue to get no offers. unreal that this guy continues to sit on my bench and not in someone's line-up.

I'll continue to shop him...and continue to get no offers. unreal that this guy continues to sit on my bench and not in someone's line-up.
There were probably only 5 RB's I had ranked above him this week. Who do you have?

Redraft and dynasty are right around 10-12 range. Hopefully today silenced all of his haters. He is finally getting in to game shape after missing all pre-season.
Only just now getting into game shape because he missed pre-season?Pre-season is only what, 4 or 5 weeks & it's week freaking 9 of the regular season. He'd better be more than just rounding into game shape after 9 regular season games, or we're going to have to schedule Mr Portis for twice as many pre-season games as the rest of the NFL just to make sure he's rounding into game shape for next years season opener. :goodposting:

The guy was solid even before this game. Great value this year. Most people got the guy in the 3rd to 4th round. He is a top 10 back. He gets goal line and gets most of the carries, and he catches. What more can you want.

Big Score said:
JPeso said:
Only just now getting into game shape because he missed pre-season?Pre-season is only what, 4 or 5 weeks & it's week freaking 9 of the regular season. He'd better be more than just rounding into game shape after 9 regular season games, or we're going to have to schedule Mr Portis for twice as many pre-season games as the rest of the NFL just to make sure he's rounding into game shape for next years season opener. :popcorn:
FWIW, I'm not sure the other top backs were in top form the first month of the year either.

JPeso said:
-jb- said:
There were probably only 5 RB's I had ranked above him this week. Who do you have?
LT/AD. Certainly not complaining about my line-up...just wish I could move the depth for a better group of WRs.

If he explodes this week, I may try to trade him.
Same here, praying for a good week. Time to start trading depth to improve starters.
Conversely, if he doesn't explode, I think we'll know what little we have in ol' CP.
Well, he exploded, and I've fallen back in love with him. Not sure I can part with him.
:pokey: :lmao: :lmao: I was going to say the same thing! I suck at this hobby! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Same here, praying for a good week. Time to start trading depth to improve starters.
Conversely, if he doesn't explode, I think we'll know what little we have in ol' CP.
Well, he exploded, and I've fallen back in love with him. Not sure I can part with him.
Not sure what your other options are but if you still have a solid RB2 or can get a better RB2 Id sell high. They played the Jets & they still have quite a few tough games on the schedule including a brutal playoff schedule. Im not saying he wont be solid or even spectacular depending on the matchup but Id see what you can get for him after this game.

Put it this way, I basically traded Portis for Gore a few weeks ago. At the time I thought the trade was a steal for me. Now I regret it a little but for some strange reason I still think Gore will be money in the playoffs. Maybe Im delusional.

Not sure what your other options are but if you still have a solid RB2 or can get a better RB2 Id sell high. They played the Jets & they still have quite a few tough games on the schedule including a brutal playoff schedule. Im not saying he wont be solid or even spectacular depending on the matchup but Id see what you can get for him after this game.
I've got ADP, LJ and Foster. With LJ's status unclear trading him isn't really an option.

Put it this way, I basically traded Portis for Gore a few weeks ago. At the time I thought the trade was a steal for me. Now I regret it a little but for some strange reason I still think Gore will be money in the playoffs. Maybe Im delusional.
I really need to move him for a WR. If you use the Top 250 Forward, Portis (1062) should return a Burress (1215), Braylon (1097), or CJ (996). I have CJ, but have offered Portis to the Burress owner and Edwards owner. Both flat out rejected...with juggernauts of MJD, KJ, Benson, Rudi, and Faulk on their rosters. Unreal.

I've got ADP, LJ and Foster. With LJ's status unclear trading him isn't really an option.
As a former ADP & Portis owner who traded away ADP before Portis, I hate you

I really need to move him for a WR. If you use the Top 250 Forward, Portis (1062) should return a Burress (1215), Braylon (1097), or CJ (996). I have CJ, but have offered Portis to the Burress owner and Edwards owner. Both flat out rejected...with juggernauts of MJD, KJ, Benson, Rudi, and Faulk on their rosters. Unreal.
Assuming those are last week's values, I assume Portis will be even higher now. I would think he'd fetch one of those WRs no problem now.

JPeso said:
-jb- said:
LT/AD. Certainly not complaining about my line-up...just wish I could move the depth for a better group of WRs.
I guess Portis is my RB3 behind R. Bush and McGahee but I rotate all three depending on matchups. There's no way I'm moving Portis at this point because I want depth in case of unforeseen injuries. Unless your WR corp is in really terrible shape, I'd hold on to Portis if I were you. ADP is a rare talent and I'm not saying he'll get injured but he does have a history of getting banged up throughout his college career. Look what happened to LJ this week.

havent' watched much Redskin football this year. what's the TD prospects for Portis? I mean, does he get goaline carries or are they going to Betts, or do the Skins prefer to pass instead of run on goaline?

havent' watched much Redskin football this year. what's the TD prospects for Portis? I mean, does he get goaline carries or are they going to Betts, or do the Skins prefer to pass instead of run on goaline?
Portis is the GL back. Sellers may get a carry or two, but Betts isn't a factor. They don't pass too much inside the 5. In fact, this has to be the only team that will bring in jumbo package on 2nd a goal from the 4.I can remember twice this year when Betts was tackled at the 1/2 yard line. Both those carries were from outside the 5. Portis ended up getting the TDs.

Portis is the man in the red zone, with some carries vultured by Betts and Mike Sellers. Cooley gets plenty of shots on passing downs in the red zone as well.

Assuming those are last week's values, I assume Portis will be even higher now. I would think he'd fetch one of those WRs no problem now.
He should fetch a Burress or CJ but not a Braylon IMO

Portis is the man in the red zone, with some carries vultured by Betts and Mike Sellers. Cooley gets plenty of shots on passing downs in the red zone as well.
I don't believe Betts has vultured a goaline look yet. He gets a few redzone carries, but once they get within the 5, it seems Portis is always put back in the game.Sellers, as a FB, does get some short yardage/one yard plunge opps, but a majority of those are now going to Clinton too.

I don't believe Betts has vultured a goaline look yet. He gets a few redzone carries, but once they get within the 5, it seems Portis is always put back in the game.Sellers, as a FB, does get some short yardage/one yard plunge opps, but a majority of those are now going to Clinton too.
The only carries I can remember Betts has had inside the 5 are the last couple plays against the Giants.

I was referring to that game, I think it was against the Giants, when Portis was on the sideline and Gibbs ran Betts a bunch of times at the GL and he was stopped and the Skins lost. Afterwards, Gibbs said he considered Portis and Betts interchangable! Right. Point is, Portis is the GL back, hands-down. We are in agreement.

I was referring to that game, I think it was against the Giants, when Portis was on the sideline and Gibbs ran Betts a bunch of times at the GL and he was stopped and the Skins lost. Afterwards, Gibbs said he considered Portis and Betts interchangable! Right. Point is, Portis is the GL back, hands-down. We are in agreement.
Yup. Since that game I havent seen Betts close to the goaline. Well, actually that is not true. IIRC, he has twice run for 8-10 yards down to the one or two - and the Portis came back in.

The Skins offensive coaches must have learned their lesson after the Giants game. Portis just has a nose for the end zone. He's not the biggest guy but he has the heart of a warrior. The way he blocks in pass protection is amazing. Probably my favorite Redskin since Darrell Green, Joe Jacoby, Dexter Manley, Monk and Riggo. Ah, the glory years.

Last edited by a moderator:
CP at it again..a beastly 30 carries for 137 and 4 grabs for 20..
The situations aren't perfectly analagous for many reasons, but in the last few games, Portis is to the Skins what Westbrook is to the Eagles -- the offence revolves around getting these guys the ball consistently, and when they perform well, their teams are placed in positions to win games.I expect Portis to have a few games in the season where he doesn't put up huge numbers, and a few games where he does. But I think the notion of Portis disappointing FF GMs this season can be put to rest.

CP at it again..a beastly 30 carries for 137 and 4 grabs for 20..
The situations aren't perfectly analagous for many reasons, but in the last few games, Portis is to the Skins what Westbrook is to the Eagles -- the offence revolves around getting these guys the ball consistently, and when they perform well, their teams are placed in positions to win games.I expect Portis to have a few games in the season where he doesn't put up huge numbers, and a few games where he does. But I think the notion of Portis disappointing FF GMs this season can be put to rest.
:football: In terms of where he was drafted/intentions of owners who drafted him, he's easily the best RB2 in the league. God knows you won't find a team more devoted to establishing the run with one player than Washington with Portis.

Users who are viewing this thread