What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colbert...Falling Like a Brick Down My Rankings (1 Viewer)

BassNBrew

Footballguy
I never was real high on Colbert after watching him play last year. His hands were average and he had trouble getting separation from DBs. I've mentioned that in several threads, but last nite's game sealed it for me. Key points I took away from last nite's game...1. Delhomme threw to Smith earlier and often. Smith had no problem getting open and looks like the speed is back.2. Gardner is already making an impression. Solid grab in the endzone from Delhomme. Obviously making the most of his time with the first team. I expect Gardner to be the WR2 sooner rather then later.3. Drew Carter, all 6'4", went up and made a nice catch on a fade pass in the end zone from LeFors. I mention his height because he towers over Colbert and Smith. Carter could get a lot of looks in the endzone.4. Proehl is still around. Fox begged him to come back for another year. He will get some PT and is still a serviceable WR.I expect Colbert's number to drop from last year and barring injury to other WRs, I see him further down the depth chart then he was last year. Colbert will not be on any of my teams in 2005 based on his current asking price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never was real high on Colbert after watching him play last year. His hands were average and he had trouble getting separation from DBs. I've mentioned that in several threads, but last nite's game sealed it for me. Key points I took away from last nite's game...

1. Delhomme threw to Smith earlier and often. Smith had no problem getting open and looks like the speed is back.

2. Gardner is already making an impression. Solid grab in the endzone from Delhomme. Obviously making the most of his time with the first team. I expect Gardner to be the WR2 sooner rather then later.

3. Drew Carter, all 6'4", went up and made a nice catch on a fade pass in the end zone from LeFors. I mention his height because he towers over Colbert and Smith. Carter could get a lot of looks in the endzone.

4. Proehl is still around. Fox begged him to come back for another year. He will get some PT and is still a serviceable WR.

I expect Colbert's number to drop from last year and barring injury to other WRs, I see him further down the depth chart then he was last year. Colbert will not be on any of my teams in 2005 based on his current asking price.
I'll have to admit I liked Colbert in the early spring, thinking he was going to have a decent year. As soon as Carolina signed Gardner I didn't just slow down........I slammed on the breaks with this guy. He's going to have to fight like a dog there to get his yards, not sure if he is the NO.2 guy over there. He might be worth a late round flyer, but that's about it for me.

I'm with you on the size factor. Gardner is 6-3 or so and both Smith and Colbert are 5-10. That makes a difference in the red zone. Plus Gardner is a stud from his Wash days. I figured someone has to fill Mush's shoes, so I took Gardner in the 15th rd of my draft. I think that pick will prove to be worth it.

I agree that Gardner will at some point this season entrench himself as the #2. It might be as soon as week one if he continues to perform well and Keary can't get healthy. BTW, reading some other posts on this and related topics, I see am much higher on Rod than most. Personally, the latest rankings here show Colbert ranked in the top 40 and Gardner the last WR to make the top 80. IMO this should almost be completely switched, with Rod in the 40-50 range and Colbert in the 70's. But that's just my draftboard.

Gardner is an intriguing prospect to be sure. Lots of people are saying that Smith is back. I haven't seen him at all this preseason. But Gardner can obviously play.

I'm with you on the size factor. Gardner is 6-3 or so and both Smith and Colbert are 5-10. That makes a difference in the red zone. Plus Gardner is a stud from his Wash days. I figured someone has to fill Mush's shoes, so I took Gardner in the 15th rd of my draft. I think that pick will prove to be worth it.
I agree that the Gardner trade should be a serious red flag for those high on Colbert, but to call Rod a stud might be overdoing it a bit.| 2001 was | 16 | 1 16 16.0 0 | 46 741 16.1 4 |

| 2002 was | 16 | 1 1 1.0 0 | 71 1006 14.2 8 |

| 2003 was | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 59 600 10.2 5 |

| 2004 was | 16 | 3 7 2.3 0 | 51 650 12.7 5 |

One year over 70 catches and 800 yards and that was 3 years ago, all the while competing against the vaunted WAS WR corps.

I think Gardner will be a factor (pretty big factor IMO), but let's not go overboard. I could see a #2/#3 role for Colbert this year and then supplant Gardner next year. I mean Colbert was sort of forced into his role last year, and I could see the Panthers easing the pressure on him with the added WR depth this year.

I never was real high on Colbert after watching him play last year.  His hands were average and he had trouble getting separation from DBs.  I've mentioned that in several threads, but last nite's game sealed it for me.  Key points I took away from last nite's game...

1. Delhomme threw to Smith earlier and often.  Smith had no problem getting open and looks like the speed is back.

2. Gardner is already making an impression.  Solid grab in the endzone from Delhomme.  Obviously making the most of his time with the first team.  I expect Gardner to be the WR2 sooner rather then later.

3. Drew Carter, all 6'4", went up and made a nice catch on a fade pass in the end zone from LeFors.  I mention his height because he towers over Colbert and Smith.  Carter could get a lot of looks in the endzone.

4. Proehl is still around.  Fox begged him to come back for another year.  He will get some PT and is still a serviceable WR.

I expect Colbert's number to drop from last year and barring injury to other WRs, I see him further down the depth chart then he was last year.  Colbert will not be on any of my teams in 2005 based on his current asking price.
:goodposting: Bass, although you could've saved yourself a week of analysis if you'd just listened to what was said:HERE

AND

HERE

:yes:

I agree. Despite being somewhat cynical about Gardner because he burned me last season, I recognize that he was a stud coming out of Clemson and he has shown flashes of brilliance. His physical gifts are undeniable and I think Delhomme will use him as a major red zone target. Gardner has risen to WR #42 on my board, but I think he could climb even higher. As a likely WR4 draftee, he represents significant value as a guy who carries the potential to post solid WR2 productivity.

3. Drew Carter, all 6'4", went up and made a nice catch on a fade pass in the end zone from LeFors. I mention his height because he towers over Colbert and Smith. Carter could get a lot of looks in the endzone.
Latest News Jun. 7, 2005 - 11:45 am et Drew Carter won the ''fastest man'' competition at Panthers practice last week with a 4.34 forty.

He nosed out Steve Smith. It's a great sign for both players that their speed is back after serious injuries last season.

Source: Rock Hill Herald

I have been keeping an eye on this kid.......4.34?

I agree that the Gardner trade should be a serious red flag for those high on Colbert, but to call Rod a stud might be overdoing it a bit.| 2001 was | 16 | 1 16 16.0 0 | 46 741 16.1 4 || 2002 was | 16 | 1 1 1.0 0 | 71 1006 14.2 8 || 2003 was | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 59 600 10.2 5 || 2004 was | 16 | 3 7 2.3 0 | 51 650 12.7 5 |One year over 70 catches and 800 yards and that was 3 years ago, all the while competing against the vaunted WAS WR corps.
In 2002, the 2nd best receiver for WAS was Derrius Thompson (53-773-4) -- Gardner had the best stats.In 2003 and 2004, the best receiver was Coles, but Gardner still had 5 TDs each year.IMO, I wouldn't bank on numbers near what Mushin put up in 2004, but it is very possible (I'd say 65-35, in favor of Gardner) that Gardner is the #2 WR in CAR early in the season -- maybe even opening day. That boosts his numbers up on my rankings and Colbert's way down.The real question is how far do you let Gardner slide in drafts? The 15th round is very good, but if he is named the #2 WR, then you'll have a much harder time picking him late.

I'm with you on the size factor. Gardner is 6-3 or so and both Smith and Colbert are 5-10. That makes a difference in the red zone. Plus Gardner is a stud from his Wash days.
:loco: I don't know on what other planet Gardner played football, but here on Earth he has sucked most of his career. REALLY sucked. In fact sucked so bad that on the WR-starved Redskins, they wanted to trade him....and garnered all of a 6th round pick.

Smith is the only CAR WR worth looking at in a draft unless it's a really big/deep one.

its not like colbert is a smurf or munchkin... there is some confusion over his height... some sites have him at 6'0"... i think he measured in at that height at the combine. colbert for some reason was discounted leading up to the draft for perceived speed issues, than he proceeded to clock a 4.4 at his workout.i'm not saying he will have a parallel career, but in some of his attributes... supposedly undersized, slow, not physical enuf... colbert reminds me of isaac bruce... also in his great compensating & offsetting factors (& as we said, he isn't small or slow... he is as tall & clocked a similar time to torry holt... obviously that is big & fast ENUF)... a polished route runner, is already learning the dark art of changing speeds to set up CBs & great hands.he is a gamer... also, he has excellent football IQ & playing smarts, maturity, work ethic & intangibles you like to see... the coaches & vets were raving in his rookie training camp that he always knew what the play was & where he was supposed to be... that is vilma-like (to borrow from other side of the ball) in that he was as known for being extremely bright on & off the field as well as for his athleticism on it... & in that instance, translated to fast-track NFL success & DROY.lets not write off colbert & bury him yet... he was somewhat overshadowed by clayton, williams, fitzgerald & evans in last season's historic WR class... he was called on earlier than expected due to the injury to smith, & by any standard was a tremendous success for a rookie.maybe gardner will beat him out... he isn't terrible, but aside from his size he is not very fast & hasn't exhibited a lot of consistency in the past... in fairness to him, he was in a terrible situation with spurrier & the pathetic QBs he trotted out, & with brunell last season, that was one of the most awful NFL offenses i have ever seen.but it isn't a slam dunk gardner will emerge as the starter... imo, people are drastically underappreciating & underestimating colbert's talent & intangibles... he seems to be a misunderstood player. i expect colbert to keep the #2WR job & gardner to see action as the #3WR, with some of his projected catches perhaps taken, but nothing extreme.* edit/add - let me clarify my position... in a redraft i might pause a little & get an equal prospect without questions, or possibly bump him down a little, not a lot.if i had him in a dynasty league (unfortunately i don't), i would not be panicking or looking to unload him for a 7th rounder in 2006 rookie draft.

3. Drew Carter, all 6'4", went up and made a nice catch on a fade pass in the end zone from LeFors.  I mention his height because he towers over Colbert and Smith.  Carter could get a lot of looks in the endzone.
Latest News Jun. 7, 2005 - 11:45 am et Drew Carter won the ''fastest man'' competition at Panthers practice last week with a 4.34 forty.

He nosed out Steve Smith. It's a great sign for both players that their speed is back after serious injuries last season.

Source: Rock Hill Herald

I have been keeping an eye on this kid.......4.34?
Dang it....I wanted to help people out with Colbert around here, but no sense sending Carter screaming up the dynasty charts before I can lock him up. :D Carter actually was the better NFL WR prospect coming out of the draft last year (ref. Colbert), he was coming off an injury and only had limited experience at the position after playing some CB as I recall.Interesting thing is that for all the doom a gloom around here when Muhammy departed, the Panthers really have a lot of potential talent at the position.

I don't know on what other planet Gardner played football, but here on Earth he has sucked most of his career. REALLY sucked.
He was pretty impressive as a rookie.
Let me throw out some names for ya:Tony Banks, Jeff George, Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerffel, Patrick Ramsey, Tim Hasselbeck, and Mark Brunell.

Let's just say that I think Gardner could have the best season of his career now that he has Delhomme throwing the ball.

its not like colbert is a smurf or munchkin... there is some confusion over his height... some sites have him at 6'0"... i think he measured in at that height at the combine.

colbert for some reason was discounted leading up to the draft for perceived speed issues, than he proceeded to clock a 4.4 at his workout.

i'm not saying he will have a parallel career, but in some of his attributes... supposedly undersized, slow, not physical enuf... colbert reminds me of isaac bruce... also in his great compensating & offsetting factors (& as we said, he isn't small or slow... he is as tall & clocked a similar time to torry holt... obviously that is big & fast ENUF)... a polished route runner, is already learning the dark art of changing speeds to set up CBs & great hands.

he is a gamer... also, he has excellent football IQ & playing smarts, maturity, work ethic & intangibles you like to see... the coaches & vets were raving in his rookie training camp that he always knew what the play was & where he was supposed to be... that is vilma-like (to borrow from other side of the ball) in that he was as known for being extremely bright on & off the field as well as for his athleticism on it... & in that instance, translated to fast-track NFL success & DROY.

lets not write off colbert & bury him yet... he was somewhat overshadowed by clayton, williams, fitzgerald & evans in last season's historic WR class... he was called on earlier than expected due to the injury to smith, & by any standard was a tremendous success for a rookie.

maybe gardner will beat him out... he isn't terrible, but aside from his size he is not very fast & hasn't exhibited a lot of consistency in the past... in fairness to him, he was in a terrible situation with spurrier & the pathetic QBs he trotted out, & with brunell last season, that was one of the most awful NFL offenses i have ever seen.

but it isn't a slam dunk gardner will emerge as the starter... imo, people are drastically underappreciating & underestimating colbert's talent & intangibles... he seems to be a misunderstood player. i expect colbert to keep the #2WR job & gardner to see action as the #3WR, with some of his projected catches perhaps taken, but nothing extreme.

* edit/add - let me clarify my position... in a redraft i might pause a little & get an equal prospect without questions, or possibly bump him down a little, not a lot.

if i had him in a dynasty league (unfortunately i don't), i would not be panicking or looking to unload him for a 7th rounder in 2006 rookie draft.
:goodposting: Excellent. You covered everything I was thinking while reading the previous posts. I think the Bruce comparison might be a little much. But, maybe not. Colbert is very early in his career. His maturity and savvy suggest he'll be around and productive for years to come. Speed isn't an issue. Remember, it was all the long tds that turned heads this time a year ago. USC fans aren't worried about his hands. We know he's a great playmaker with a very aggressive nose for the ball. He has an uncanny ability to get open and and make first downs. He reminds me of Keenan McCardell. He'll probably never be a dominant featured receiver as Bruce once was, but he's always going to make plays, put up numbers and should beat back competition for the #2 spot, unless Gardner finally steps up to his rookie hype. Which I agree could happen, and in which case, Carolina becomes a very dangerous offense. Colbert is good, but like McCardell, there's just something "plain" and unexciting about him. Take a look at Keenan's career numbers versus fantasy ADPs. Pretty amazing.

I never was real high on Colbert after watching him play last year. His hands were average and he had trouble getting separation from DBs. I've mentioned that in several threads, but last nite's game sealed it for me. Key points I took away from last nite's game...

1. Delhomme threw to Smith earlier and often. Smith had no problem getting open and looks like the speed is back.

2. Gardner is already making an impression. Solid grab in the endzone from Delhomme. Obviously making the most of his time with the first team. I expect Gardner to be the WR2 sooner rather then later.

4. Proehl is still around. Fox begged him to come back for another year. He will get some PT and is still a serviceable WR.

I expect Colbert's number to drop from last year and barring injury to other WRs, I see him further down the depth chart then he was last year. Colbert will not be on any of my teams in 2005 based on his current asking price.
:goodposting: BnB, do you think that if Gardner wins the start, that Colbert moves into the spot to directly backup SSmith, as he had last year, and that one of th eother two WRs - Proehl or Carter - directly backs up Gardner? Does Proehl get the third WR/slot WR spot, or would that still be Colbert?

Finally, what do you think of the pass offense in general - how do all these receivers help Delhomme in relation to Fox's seeming devotion to the run game - whether he can pound it or not - after finishing as only the 28th best rushing team?

Gardner has a shot at starting at WR2, but I think it's a bit much to ignore his entire body of work while even mentioning one preseason TD. He never broke out at Washington (IMO that includes his 2002 season because it took 140 targets to get 71 catches) despite being their first option in some years or opposite a strong starter in other years. He has consistently averaged about a 50% catch percentage over his 4 year career compared to Colbert's rookie numbers of 51%. So at worst Colbert's hands are as "average" as Gardner's. Furthermore, size is a very over-rated factor used to judge players on these boards--the tall players are almost always over-hyped and when they put the pads on the smaller players are the ones that often out-perform their rankings.

I never was real high on Colbert after watching him play last year.  His hands were average and he had trouble getting separation from DBs.  I've mentioned that in several threads, but last nite's game sealed it for me.  Key points I took away from last nite's game...

1. Delhomme threw to Smith earlier and often.  Smith had no problem getting open and looks like the speed is back.

2. Gardner is already making an impression.  Solid grab in the endzone from Delhomme.  Obviously making the most of his time with the first team.  I expect Gardner to be the WR2 sooner rather then later.

4. Proehl is still around.  Fox begged him to come back for another year.  He will get some PT and is still a serviceable WR.

I expect Colbert's number to drop from last year and barring injury to other WRs, I see him further down the depth chart then he was last year.  Colbert will not be on any of my teams in 2005 based on his current asking price.
:goodposting: BnB, do you think that if Gardner wins the start, that Colbert moves into the spot to directly backup SSmith, as he had last year, and that one of th eother two WRs - Proehl or Carter - directly backs up Gardner? Does Proehl get the third WR/slot WR spot, or would that still be Colbert?

Finally, what do you think of the pass offense in general - how do all these receivers help Delhomme in relation to Fox's seeming devotion to the run game - whether he can pound it or not - after finishing as only the 28th best rushing team?
I'm not sure that I've formed an opinion in those regards Marc. What I do know at this point in time...1) The line looked average at best last nite. Unless things gell signifcantly, running the ball down people's throats may not be an option.

2) Delhomme looks more and more Favre like each time I see him. He hangs onto to the ball to the last moment and has enough mobility to buy some additional time. His confidence is getting to the point that he'll make some plays he shouldn't. I would expect his INTs to go up this year. That said, with the speed on the field, an extra 1/2 second in the pocket will lead to some nice numbers.

3) Proehl set up a meeting with Fox to retire. Fox essentially changed his mind. Proehl did as well as Colbert find space in the middle. Even if Colbert is better, I think Fox is the type of coach that will reward dedication to the team with some extra looks.

4) I really need to see more of Carter. However, they way he leaped of the CB and grabbed the ball at it's peak in the corner was impressive. The cats had Peppers in that role last year, not Colbert.

5) Colbert is injured and Gardner is getting a lot of reps with the first string.

I could see Colbert dropping to the 4th or 5th WR passing option if things continue to develop the way they've starter.

Furthermore, size is a very over-rated factor used to judge players on these boards--the tall players are almost always over-hyped and when they put the pads on the smaller players are the ones that often out-perform their rankings.
and by NFL coaches, evidently, b/c it is almost always the taller receover who getsthe benefit of the doubt -size m,ake for a better jump ball candifdate, size makes a player more likely to outreach the 5'11"/6'0" CBs.Size is not overrated, though a player might be.

I think the point BnB made was that Gardner has both size and equivelant or better athletic ability as Colbert.

Point of reference - BnB is probably the biggest Panther fan on these boards, yet is an extremely objective fantasy football player - when he speaks on his team, I listen.

2) Delhomme looks more and more Favre like each time I see him. He hangs onto to the ball to the last moment and has enough mobility to buy some additional time. His confidence is getting to the point that he'll make some plays he shouldn't. I would expect his INTs to go up this year. That said, with the speed on the field, an extra 1/2 second in the pocket will lead to some nice numbers.
My view of Delhomme matches yours - but, I see him more as Brady than Favre. I wonder what impact the supposed emphasis on the running game wil have on Delhomme early in the year and, if the running game is succesful, will that cut down on Delhomme's yardage. I suspect that his G/L opps to throw the ball won't change much regardless, but a successful running game creates fewer 2nd/3rd and long passing opps for Delhomme.If the running game is just as bad as last year, Delhomme wil be a big fantasy force again - without a doubt in my mind.

I really want Colbert to succeed and hope I'm wrong. I watched almost every game start to finish last year and almost always saw a DB on Colbert's shoulder. His ypc last year wtill has me shaking my head as to how.

Furthermore, size is a very over-rated factor used to judge players on these boards--the tall players are almost always over-hyped and when they put the pads on the smaller players are the ones that often out-perform their rankings.
and by NFL coaches, evidently, b/c it is almost always the taller receover who getsthe benefit of the doubt -size m,ake for a better jump ball candifdate, size makes a player more likely to outreach the 5'11"/6'0" CBs.Size is not overrated, though a player might be.

I think the point BnB made was that Gardner has both size and equivelant or better athletic ability as Colbert.

Point of reference - BnB is probably the biggest Panther fan on these boards, yet is an extremely objective fantasy football player - when he speaks on his team, I listen.
I've been on these boards since day one, so I am well aware of the cast of characters. As you are aware, Gardner wasn't on the Panthers last year and despite having all of those characteristics that you cited Gardner failed to emerge as anything more than a marginal starter during his 4 year career--now he is in yet another system and we are supposed to expect him to break out? Colbert had more yards receiving and as many or more TDs last year than Gardner had in 3 of his 4 years--so I think it's well too early to come to any conclusion after one preseason game Gardner's measurables notwithstanding.

No sense bickering about this. We'll all have answers soon enough. Question: How tall is Colbert? His random internet profile says 5-10. At SC he was listed as 6-0. NFL.com says both in different spots. The most recent blogger article says 6-1, and that's Colbert discussing himself... er... in comparison to Jerry Rice. He says they have the same build. I suspect 6-0 is the correct answer and profiles were off for his rookie year and haven't been corrected.It seems far fetched that he could fall below three on the depth chart. I'm no Panthers homer, but it seems clear that his coaches love him. There's no pretentions, no childish "bling bling" stuff that comes with today's young players. Colbert models himself after Rice in terms of work ethic and professionalism. The recent piece notes he hasn't been moved down the depth chart with the sore hammy, and came back strong, getting deep for a td in Thursday's practice. On Gardner's superior athleticism: I'm not so sure. Size doesn't equate to athleticism. Gardner is stronger, no doubt, but Colbert has a remarkable ability to adjust to the ball enroute. He can make spectacular grabs. He's just very fluid and doesn't look spectacular when he pulls off big plays. But, you'll see him racing for the endzone alot more than Gardner, imo. I've argued elsewhere that a dozen amazing catches from Colbert and another dozen from MWilliams won Palmer his Heisman. Hijack apologies, question for BnB: Reading your general Panther observations made me think DeShaun may become a serious dump off receiver. He is ideal for this. Do you see his reception numbers being higher than most expect?

Gardner's teased people before so I'm not going to get too excited about him just yet -- especially since the guy the coaches clearly want to be the No. 2 WR (Colbert) hasn't played yet. Let's see what happens once Colbert gets into a pre-season game.

Dude, I'm with you on this post (I think) but man it might be time to lay off the sauce. :D

i reread the thread because i thought i missed something...maybe i missed it, but i didn't see anywhere where bnb qualified his support of gardner... point taken that gardner is bigger... but where is it said that in his opinion he has equivalent or better athletic ability. or even implied. even if he had, not sure on what basis that argument would be made. maybe it could, but it is not obvious from what direction that would take place, so i would be very interested in hearing the grounds. he is bigger. that is a statement of fact. he may or may not have equivalent or superior athleticism... but that is yet to be proven. colbert's lack of separation was alluded to (more will be said about this later)... but whether gardner is skilled at this is left unsaid... i would lean to think that it is not his strong suit, or it would have been noted, but we don't have that counterbalanced perspective, so we can't say for sure until this is addressed.

as to the homer reference... i didn't know bnb was a panthers homer... i do think there is something to this... i always pay close attention to what jason says about eagles, aaron about bills, bob henry about lions, norton about bengals, chase about jets, cracker about bay area teams, cecil about broncs, overton about steelers, i think i know a thing or two about the rams since i've been following them for over 25 years (about jackie slater's tenure :) )... & so on & so forth.

but by this rationale, shouldn't we be NOT listening to bnb? :) just kidding... but if are going to employ the homer heuristic, gardner has only been with the team a couple days. shouldn't we be asking redskins homers? i'm a big usc fan... doesn't my opinion count for something? i've watched colbert for longer than just the year he was at CAR.

so far i don't think there has been any bickering... lets think of it as an opportunity to clarify some matters that might even have some meaning & bearing that spills out beyond the narrow purview of colbert/gardner. an opportunity to learn some things of more general & widely applicable interst.

like i said, there is some merit in the position that those who follow team most closely would be expected to know the most about them. if you think about this kind of obvious point, it would be strange if it weren't true, when put like that.

but i am not sure that is the case here. bnb isn't (to my knowledge) relaying info about the depth chart... no links to headlines from local papers saying that colbert is plummetting down the depth chart, per the coaches. he was stating an opinion about how he sees a currently indeterminate situation resolving. while he is certainly in no worse a position to state such an opinion vis-a-vis "outsiders", for reasons cited above, he may not be any better... gardner has been panther for few days... hardly the body of work with CAR by which anybody could be "expert" on... & colbert does have a body of work that extends down below what he did as a rookie (& an impressive rookie year it was)... like the mass of an iceberg that lies below the surface... & it was THAT body of work that led CAR to draft colbert in round 2, in what many knowledgeable scouts said may have been the most talented WR class in the history of the draft. (yes, i know gardner was a high draft pick, too... higher, actually... 1.15 '01).

while i think it is good to know what teams others follow closely, the bottom line is that arguments have to stand on their own merit. i would hope that others wouldn't believe everything i say when disussing the rams, just because i am a supposed rams "expert". if you are seeing things clearly & have stated your case cogently, a consensus will form around you without the need to resort to labels of authority (bnb didn't do this BTW, but i find it important to discuss because it does go on)... if you didn't, no amount of resorting to homerism will amend the situation. the only remedy for this state of affairs is thinking about matters more clearly & deeply... i vow to not bring up USC homerism, expertise & authoritativeness in this post again, towards that goal. :)

what we are really talking about here is scouting sense... not homerism. my aunt might live in SF & seen them play for years... but i would implicitly trust bob henry's take on a 5 minute breakdown of a highlight package of a niner like kevan barlow or rashaun woods (two controversial current SF prospects) over her... because i have come to trust & respect his scouting sense. that TYPE of expertise to me is far more important & useful as it transcends where he grew up & where he may currently reside. bob SEES stuff that i miss... than he points it out in a way that i can see in retrospect. comedians use same raw material for their humor as we have access to (life)... but a guy like chappelle just seems to have (whether innate or acquired talent) a gift for noticing stuff we missed on first pass, highlighting it, & allowing us to see humor in the common place. some people are just better at it than others. chappelle has a demonstrable, repeatable gift for being funny... bob henry does for spotting sleepers. and it has nothing to do with homerism... otherwise bob would only report on DET.

again, i am not disputing bnb's scouting sense (it isn't even relevant for the immediate point)... just be aware if a statement is made whether it is a public record type statement (on aug 15, the CAR bugle reported that HC john fox has installed garner at WR2, & dropped colbert to 4-5) where a homer might see things ahead of national media... i'm pretty sure i saw on rams homer board that terrell had assumed #1 LG on depth chart & was looking great... ahead of news about it in blogger. we than have to separate out opinions ventured not based on public record... ie - our own observations, which will stand (or fall) on their own merit... the acuity, insightfulness & depth.

the one scouting eye-type critique bnb levelled at colbert was that he didn't get separation. fair enough. failure to separate can be a death blow to an NFL WR... it is true that many who succeed at it spectacularly in college fail miserably in pros. but don't many rookies struggle with this crucial aspect? i don't sense that colbert is getting the benefit of the doubt. imo, it is possible he could get better at this... in fact, i expect him too based on his work ethic, pssion for the game & desire to be great. maybe gardner has these attributes too (here is case where WAS & clemson homers could help us :) )... but even if he did, they don't seem to have helped much because i wasn't aware that gardner was renowned for his formidable separation ability. i think after four seasons, it is safe to say he will never have moss-like separation ability.

at least i think there is hope for colbert as he just has one year under his belt, & there is probably more that is unknown about his ceiling, relative to gardner... we know less about what colbert CAN'T do.

i agree with the school of thought that says gardner has not had the best of QB help. but this is distinct & separate from issue of whether he separates well. it is as possible to have a good QB & not be able to separate as it is to have converse case... a bad QB coupled with WR who can separate.

to return to earlier point that gardner is clearly bigger & has equal of better athleticism? if you go by stats, they had nearly identical rookie seasons (gardner's 46-741-4 remarkably, eerily even, similar to colbert). so since gardner is so much bigger & stronger... doesn't that suggest colbert did more with less, which might confer upon him superior athleticism? but of course we could forgive gardner for having appallingly bad QB play... so we have to dig a little deeper (almost there :) ). i just don't think that it has been at all close to demonstrated, or even attempted, that gardner is equal or superior in athleticism. i have just suggested the opposite, & given a reason to support it, as well as to discount it, so others can weigh the evidence & form their own conclusion... you won't get any easy answers or spoon fed judgements in this thread.

will gardner be better in red zone than colbert. this is very possible... but aren't we talking about a situational role, than? nobody racked up more yards receiving than torry holt (ram homer alert) in past five seasons... yet b4 previous two seasons, they didn't look to him much in the end zone. we wouldn't conclude on this basis that holt wasn't a good WR in 2000-'02, because he didn't score a lot of TDs.

the comparison to holt may seem like an absurd one, but i have a reason for making it. is holt too small? is he too slow? you may be anticipating where this is leading. holt is 6'0" 190 & used to run a 4.4... these are about as close as you can get to their triangle numbers... virtually identical. earlier in this thread (actually in a link to a tangential thread), colbert was called dimunitive. when did 6'0" 190 become dimunitive? and if it is, does that make holt dimunitive?

this all is reminiscent of when lincoln was informed that grant was a drunk... he promptly asked to have a barrell of the same whisky sent to all the other generals under his command. :) if holt is dimunitive... i want a roster chock full & power packed with dimunitive WRs.

some WRs are tall, fast & excellent... moss, owens, chad johnson, javon walker, andre johnson are among best exemplars of this set of WRs.

harrison, holt, mason all are among WRs with most receptions in past 5 years... yet they are not physical specimens.

as to whether gardner would be beter on jump balls, i think there are not many times during game where this situation arises. manning & bulger don't move the ball down the field by throwing the ball up for grabs a lot (well, they couldn't as they don't have huge WRs, but that is a different story :) )... they employ a downfield attack based on precision route running, timing routes, throwing the ball into small windows but where only your guy can get it, even if they aren't wide open, etc.

what makes a WR great is a complex issue... i don't think anybody here takes a simple minded approach & says X WR must be stud because they are tall... or fast. just as we should not conclude that a WR like isaac bruce (#5 in receiving yards last season), who is not blazing fast or a physical specimen, must surely be a failure, due to the fact that he didn't have eye-popping measurables.

i would venture to say that holt separates better now than he did as a rookie (i return to this point to tie up some loose ends about why we might give colbert benefit of doubt on his inability to do this consistently as a rookie, & maybe not with 4 year veteran gardner)... why? did he get faster? did he cut his 4.4 time to a 4.3? no. the answer is, he learned some key elements to route running from his mentor bruce, & perhaps figured out a few things on his own. just to list a few, they would include learning how to cut at full speed, fooling & cross up DBs by setting them up, not giving opponents poker-like "tells" or telegraphed body language about what route to expect next, etc.

note that these have nothing to do with being 6'4", having a 40" vertical, running a sub-4.4 40 & benching 500 lbs.

separation is great, but there are only a handful of WRs in the league who are so head & shoulders above everybody else that they are perpetually runnning crazy free... guys like moss & harrison. it would be nice if there were 64 guys like that so everybody could have two... but the reality is that most teams have one guy like that if they are lucky, & many have none.

the factor that is almost universally cited about why the pro game is so difficult for rookies (especially rookie WRs & QBs) to adjust to is the fact that there is so much parity... almost everybody is talented at NFL level... faster, stronger, more explosive... since the DBs are about as fast & talented as the WRs, QBs must throw into tighter windows, use timing routes, etc.

BTW, a smaller WRs can overcome lack of separation is by tricking the DB & not reaching for ball until the last instant... colbert also effectively plays taller by extending his arms UP & highpointing the ball better than some other WRs... this must be harder than it sounds... picture yourself sprinting down sidelines than at last second stick your hands up in the air... WITHOUT BREAKING STRIDE... maintain your speed, run under control & come down with ball... i saw colbert do this a lot at USC.

i think due to his work ethic (not saying gardner doesn't have one, but i don't remember hear WAS coaches raving about it... maybe he was miscast in spurrier & gibbs systems), it is at least possible that colbert may get better at those aspects of route running like leaning how to cut at full speed... this could be an acquired skill for him, as it were.

as to the dimunitive question... maybe some see gardner being better fit next to dimunitive smith (yes, he IS dimunitive :) )... but we should at least consider the possibility that teams can succeed like the rams with a high octane passing attack without a physical, hulking "power" WR. fox has had muhammad to pair with smith in past, & maybe he likes having a big guy to start alongside the tiny smith for his run blocking prowess. but if this were the case, he might state at some point that gardner will be the man for this reason... until he does (& if he doesn't), we are speculating.

despite the fact that colbert is the size he is, fox did draft him with relatively high second round pick... maybe he was drafted to be a WR3 to complement muhammad & smith, & not as WR2? they certainly didn't know smith would be injured game one, prompting his insertion into starting lineup for most of season. they may have known whether they intended to keep muhammad or not... i suspect (bnb probably knows) they intended to re-sign him but he unexpectedly blew up & priced himself out of CAR market. that would suggest that colbert was thought of as a WR3... at least initially... with it being an open question whether colbert might than be groomed as WR2 some day? or if fox would be opposed to having two dimunitive WRs, & would insist on at least one big body for run blocking? i have no idea, but i am pretty sure i never heard fox say the latter, & i though i read things saying colbert was thought advanced & talented enuf to be WR2 that would complement smith as WR1... maybe with colbert as possession WR to complement deep threat smith.

if gardner was really a key piece to the puzzle, a future integral part of the offense, they sure didn't act like it. they played a game of chicken with SEA & NO... maybe they knew that gardner wanted to play close to home (advantage over SEA) & they did give him a one year contract whereas NO reportedly wanted two. but it seemed like they didn't care that much about whether they got him or not (they could have engineered trade with WAS much earlier if it was important), & were content to have SEA or NO steal him away if it wasn't on exactly the right terms for them.

plus giving him a one year deal isn't a huge vote of confidence?

some of the matters about colbert having imo greater chance of developing because we no less about what he CAN'T do... (many rookies struggle to separate than make marked, pronounced progress in year 2-3... gardner is in year 5... if he isn't great at separating yet...?) admittedly have more to do with dynasty concerns.

though i am still not convinced that gardner is more likely to be WR2 & colbert could drop to WR4-5 this season... barring injury of course.

sorry for the dissertation, but i thought there was more to be said than just... colbert is good. some of these matters intersect with important themes such as what makes a WR great?... is size or speed the most important element?... if not, what is?

stripping away the peripheral concerns, & tunnelling down to these more root matters, holds out the potential to broaden our fantasy acumen (not saying i have the answers... i expect to learn things from others on the thread) which we can leverage on better judgement about ALL & future skill position players, not just colbert/gardner in present context.

I think this is an important question. Last season, Carolina WRs had over 2700 receiving yards and 21 TDs.I happen to be one who believes in Delhomme and expects continued success in the Carolina passing game this year.So even if there were a bit of a regression in the WR numbers, say to 2600/18, how will those be divided up among the WRs?Two years ago, Smith had 88/1110/7. Suppose he can marginally improve on that, say 1200/8. Using my 2600/18 WR totals, that leaves 1400/10 for the others. My expectation is that the 3rd & 4th guys will split about 600/2 (last season all WRs after 1 & 2 totalled 42/582/0), leaving around 800/8 for the #2.That would put the #2 around WR25 or so, with upside if (a) the Carolina passing game improves further or (b) any of the Panthers' other top 4 WRs get hurt.Personally I see Gardner with a great shot at that, and thus as a great value where he can be had in the draft.

i reread the thread because i thought i missed something...
I'm not even going to try and respond to that - excellent post, Bob - I concede the debate, if one existed.

it is very possible that bnb & you are right, marc... so i don't concede even if you do. :)i was just seeking a little more detail for both of your reasons in taking that position. if i didn't respect bnb's & your opinion, i wouldn't have asked. & maybe this will still generate further discussion from others.anyway, if colbert is healthy enuf, we will have our answers soon enuf... but it is always good to discuss with some drafts not waiting for definitive resolution.if they are in fact looking for bigger WR to pair with smith, gardner much more so than colbert could have been sent from central casting. i would just be more comfortable with this idea if it were corroborated by coaching staff.i forgot to mention, but if gardner is widely perceived as an excellent WR, it is odd that he didn't generate much buzz... there are surely several teams besides the three mentioned above (CAR, SEA & NO) that having pressing need for a decent, veteran & cheap WR. yet nary a whisper, & when consumated a small, one year deal that came late in the game. this could be because he was selective... wanted to wait for CAR to come through?edge & alexander had trouble changing addresses, too... but in their case, it clearly wasn't a reflection of perceived questions about their ability... but instead had to do with perceived difficulty & expense of signing long term contract for a position with heavy age-related attrition. but gardner was not going to be anywhere close to that kind of expensive.do any WAS homers know if gardner had rep for being inconsistent, less than hard worker, disinterested? it is true that he was embedded in a dismal context, with not much opportunity to shine. & that might hoodwink hobokens like us. :) but it would seem likely that scouts would have a way to adjust & compensate for that in their final analysis... priest was a guy that slipped through the cracks, though, & the scouts seem to have made a collossal error in judgement on... in the right setting, he was vastly superior to what we all thought. another question i would throw out to the rest of the board... not as hijack but it bears very much on colbert/gardner... i forget what gardner fetched in way of draft pick... sixth rounder (?)...if we were all GMs & we could get on the horn with GM mickey hurney... would we offer a more expensive draft pick? colbert is younger, but gardner not exactly old... so that wouldn't be a factor... better put, because i fear that are down on colbert will lowball & those who are proponents will overinflate his value... how do we think the league views their respective talents?maybe this is just hunch on my part... but since colbert went in round 2 & wasn't universally panned as a blundering move, that was deemed fair value (he did help himself when he ran a 4.4... measurables do matter... ask KJ)... its hard for me to not think that maybe he could fetch more than gardner did in draft pick, but that could be baseless... i would be interested in what you guys think.ultimately, it might not be relevant... roscoe parrish may have been a second rounder, but he is likely a career WR3 slot guy... more important in actual football than fantasy... relatively high draft value doesn't necessarily have one to one correspondence with fantasy value.anyway, thanx marc for prompting me to think this through a bit more, & being the vehicle of helping me to try & straighten out some of my typically sloppy & muddled thinking. :)cheers,bob

I think this is an important question. Last season, Carolina WRs had over 2700 receiving yards and 21 TDs.

I happen to be one who believes in Delhomme and expects continued success in the Carolina passing game this year.

So even if there were a bit of a regression in the WR numbers, say to 2600/18, how will those be divided up among the WRs?

Two years ago, Smith had 88/1110/7. Suppose he can marginally improve on that, say 1200/8. Using my 2600/18 WR totals, that leaves 1400/10 for the others. My expectation is that the 3rd & 4th guys will split about 600/2 (last season all WRs after 1 & 2 totalled 42/582/0), leaving around 800/8 for the #2.

That would put the #2 around WR25 or so, with upside if (a) the Carolina passing game improves further or (b) any of the Panthers' other top 4 WRs get hurt.

Personally I see Gardner with a great shot at that, and thus as a great value where he can be had in the draft.
In 2003, when the Panthers were able to play the way they wanted to (and won as a result), the WR corps amassed 2,378 yards and 14 TDs. I can buy into the notion that Delhomme is much more proven now and so they'll meet somewhere in the middle, but I just wanted to point out that your projection of 2600/18 being a "regression" probably is still a tad too optimistic. :yes:

do any WAS homers know if gardner had rep for being inconsistent, less than hard worker, disinterested? it is true that he was embedded in a dismal context, with not much opportunity to shine. & that might hoodwink hobokens like us. :) but it would seem likely that scouts would have a way to adjust & compensate for that in their final analysis... priest was a guy that slipped through the cracks, though, & the scouts seem to have made a collossal error in judgement on... in the right setting, he was vastly superior to what we all thought.
Gardner was frustrated in DC due to the constant change in coaching, offensive schemes, and what his role was with the team. I think he really lost his religion as far as believing in anything the 'Skins told him, simply because he knew most changes would be short-lived and a new direction would be coming soon.On a personal note, he participated in a few charities in DC and founded one of his own charities, not sure if that makes him a nice guy or not, but at least it makes him smart enough to get the tax breaks.

I think Colbert will have a long and successful career in the NFL. He does almost everything well. He has excellent hands, gets consistent separation (not sure why anyone would think he doesn't, as most scouts will attest), has good speed and he has decent size. However, he's still young and might need more time to evolve in the NFL before he can be counted on for 1,000+ yards.I'm not sure where the knocks against his size and separation abilities come from, but they are not true from what I've seen and read. FYI, I'm pretty sure Colbert is 6'0".Gardner has excellent size and strength and also has decent speed. His biggest problems are in his ability to separate (ironically an argument against Colbert in this thread) and he drops far too many balls. But I think Gardner fits in well with what Carolina is trying to do this year.So who starts? If Colbert can't get back on the field soon, it very well could be Gardner. Gardner has superior size, strength (although Colbert is strong too) and NFL experience. However, Colbert has a better understanding of the Carolina system, better hands and better separation abilities. Gardner is limited by his inconsistency, and Colbert is limited by his inexperience.The main point here might not be who starts. I think both Gardner and Colbert might see a similar number of passes thrown their way. And because of that, the main focus of this thread (Colbert moving down the rankings) should be accurate. Gardner is far too talented for anyone to think he won't get a significant amount of looks this season, and at least a portion of those will come at Colbert's expense.

Drew Carter - we're talking about the same Drew Carter that has sustained season-ending injuries THREE years in a row? He has torn the ACL in both knees.Might be another Yatil Green. Proceed with caution....

I think this is an important question.  Last season, Carolina WRs had over 2700 receiving yards and 21 TDs.

I happen to be one who believes in Delhomme and expects continued success in the Carolina passing game this year.

So even if there were a bit of a regression in the WR numbers, say to 2600/18, how will those be divided up among the WRs?

Two years ago, Smith had 88/1110/7.  Suppose he can marginally improve on that, say 1200/8.  Using my 2600/18 WR totals, that leaves 1400/10 for the others.  My expectation is that the 3rd & 4th guys will split about 600/2 (last season all WRs after 1 & 2 totalled 42/582/0), leaving around 800/8 for the #2.

That would put the #2 around WR25 or so, with upside if (a) the Carolina passing game improves further or (b) any of the Panthers' other top 4 WRs get hurt.

Personally I see Gardner with a great shot at that, and thus as a great value where he can be had in the draft.
In 2003, when the Panthers were able to play the way they wanted to (and won as a result), the WR corps amassed 2,378 yards and 14 TDs. I can buy into the notion that Delhomme is much more proven now and so they'll meet somewhere in the middle, but I just wanted to point out that your projection of 2600/18 being a "regression" probably is still a tad too optimistic. :yes:
Yes, I am aware of what their WR statistics were the previous year. As I said:
Another previous post:
Regarding Delhomme in 2003, looking at year end numbers is quite misleading.  Here is a post I made about his progression in an old Steve Smith thread:

And the passing offense is on an upward trend:

- In his first 8 games last season [EDIT: "last season" refers to 2003 in this post], Delhomme averaged 174 passing yards per game and threw 8 TDs.

- In his last 8 regular season games [EDIT: 2003], he averaged 228 passing yards per game and threw 11 TDs.

- In the playoffs [EDIT: 2003], he averaged 247 passing yards per game and threw 6 TDs in 4 games.

Do you expect the Carolina passing game to fall back to last in the league?  Isn't it more likely that it will improve?  I expect Jake Delhomme to be better with 20 games of starting experience.  Assuming he remains healthy, I expect Jake to throw for 3500+ yards and 20+ TDs. [EDIT: In 2004.]
Delhomme's increase in passing attempts actually is a trend that dates back further than last season.1st 8 games 2003: 26.5 passing attempts per game, and that is inflated by an outlier game of 49 attempts (second highest was only 27)... he averaged 23.3 in the other 7 games

2nd 8 games 2003: 29.6 passing attempts per game

2004 regular season: 33.3 passing attempts per game

When he started off in 2003, he was a first time starter. As he has gained experience, he has been given more opportunities, and he has excelled. I expect Fox to continue to go with his strength on offense... Delhomme.

I don't necessarily expect him to repeat as QB7, but I do expect him to be in the top 12 or so (barring injury, of course).
You mentioned looking back at 2003, when the Panthers played "the way they wanted to". If you include the 2003 playoffs, the Carolina WRs had 3212 yards and 20 TDs, which scales to 2570/16 over 16 games. So my projection doesn't look quite so outlandish now, does it? Heck, maybe my projection is low, since that sample is skewed low by Delhomme's early games, in which he was gaining experience and the coaching staff was gaining confidence in him.Furthermore, we haven't even mentioned the set of RBs you are implying will hold down the WR production:

- Davis is not likely to be a strong contributor due to age and injury

- Foster has never produced consistently and has been injury prone

- Shelton is a rookie

Sure, they have a lot of RB options... but they also have a lot of WR options. And Delhomme is their best offensive skill player, probably followed by Smith. I just don't see the same likelihood of a run-focused offense that you and many others see.

Hijack apologies, question for BnB: Reading your general Panther observations made me think DeShaun may become a serious dump off receiver. He is ideal for this. Do you see his reception numbers being higher than most expect?
Hard to say because Foster's body of work is so small. What would concern me about taking the over is Goings and Hoover. Both are decent receivers out of the backfield.http://footballguys.com/GoinNi00-2.php 75% recpt to targetshttp://footballguys.com/HoovBr00-2.php 66% recpt to targetsOf course Foster is just shy of 80%. All average about 8 ypr.

i reread the thread because i thought i missed something...maybe i missed it, but i didn't see anywhere where bnb qualified his support of gardner... point taken that gardner is bigger... but where is it said that in his opinion he has equivalent or better athletic ability. or even implied. even if he had, not sure on what basis that argument would be made. maybe it could, but it is not obvious from what direction that would take place, so i would be very interested in hearing the grounds. he is bigger. that is a statement of fact. he may or may not have equivalent or superior athleticism... but that is yet to be proven. colbert's lack of separation was alluded to (more will be said about this later)... but whether gardner is skilled at this is left unsaid... i would lean to think that it is not his strong suit, or it would have been noted, but we don't have that counterbalanced perspective, so we can't say for sure until this is addressed.

as to the homer reference... i didn't know bnb was a panthers homer... i do think there is something to this... i always pay close attention to what jason says about eagles, aaron about bills, bob henry about lions, norton about bengals, chase about jets, cracker about bay area teams, cecil about broncs, overton about steelers, i think i know a thing or two about the rams since i've been following them for over 25 years (about jackie slater's tenure :) )... & so on & so forth.

but by this rationale, shouldn't we be NOT listening to bnb? :) just kidding... but if are going to employ the homer heuristic, gardner has only been with the team a couple days. shouldn't we be asking redskins homers? i'm a big usc fan... doesn't my opinion count for something? i've watched colbert for longer than just the year he was at CAR.

so far i don't think there has been any bickering... lets think of it as an opportunity to clarify some matters that might even have some meaning & bearing that spills out beyond the narrow purview of colbert/gardner. an opportunity to learn some things of more general & widely applicable interst.

like i said, there is some merit in the position that those who follow team most closely would be expected to know the most about them. if you think about this kind of obvious point, it would be strange if it weren't true, when put like that.

but i am not sure that is the case here. bnb isn't (to my knowledge) relaying info about the depth chart... no links to headlines from local papers saying that colbert is plummetting down the depth chart, per the coaches. he was stating an opinion about how he sees a currently indeterminate situation resolving. while he is certainly in no worse a position to state such an opinion vis-a-vis "outsiders", for reasons cited above, he may not be any better... gardner has been panther for few days... hardly the body of work with CAR by which anybody could be "expert" on... & colbert does have a body of work that extends down below what he did as a rookie (& an impressive rookie year it was)... like the mass of an iceberg that lies below the surface... & it was THAT body of work that led CAR to draft colbert in round 2, in what many knowledgeable scouts said may have been the most talented WR class in the history of the draft. (yes, i know gardner was a high draft pick, too... higher, actually... 1.15 '01).

while i think it is good to know what teams others follow closely, the bottom line is that arguments have to stand on their own merit. i would hope that others wouldn't believe everything i say when disussing the rams, just because i am a supposed rams "expert". if you are seeing things clearly & have stated your case cogently, a consensus will form around you without the need to resort to labels of authority (bnb didn't do this BTW, but i find it important to discuss because it does go on)... if you didn't, no amount of resorting to homerism will amend the situation. the only remedy for this state of affairs is thinking about matters more clearly & deeply... i vow to not bring up USC homerism, expertise & authoritativeness in this post again, towards that goal. :)

what we are really talking about here is scouting sense... not homerism. my aunt might live in SF & seen them play for years... but i would implicitly trust bob henry's take on a 5 minute breakdown of a highlight package of a niner like kevan barlow or rashaun woods (two controversial current SF prospects) over her... because i have come to trust & respect his scouting sense. that TYPE of expertise to me is far more important & useful as it transcends where he grew up & where he may currently reside. bob SEES stuff that i miss... than he points it out in a way that i can see in retrospect. comedians use same raw material for their humor as we have access to (life)... but a guy like chappelle just seems to have (whether innate or acquired talent) a gift for noticing stuff we missed on first pass, highlighting it, & allowing us to see humor in the common place. some people are just better at it than others. chappelle has a demonstrable, repeatable gift for being funny... bob henry does for spotting sleepers. and it has nothing to do with homerism... otherwise bob would only report on DET.

again, i am not disputing bnb's scouting sense (it isn't even relevant for the immediate point)... just be aware if a statement is made whether it is a public record type statement (on aug 15, the CAR bugle reported that HC john fox has installed garner at WR2, & dropped colbert to 4-5) where a homer might see things ahead of national media... i'm pretty sure i saw on rams homer board that terrell had assumed #1 LG on depth chart & was looking great... ahead of news about it in blogger. we than have to separate out opinions ventured not based on public record... ie - our own observations, which will stand (or fall) on their own merit... the acuity, insightfulness & depth.

the one scouting eye-type critique bnb levelled at colbert was that he didn't get separation. fair enough. failure to separate can be a death blow to an NFL WR... it is true that many who succeed at it spectacularly in college fail miserably in pros. but don't many rookies struggle with this crucial aspect? i don't sense that colbert is getting the benefit of the doubt. imo, it is possible he could get better at this... in fact, i expect him too based on his work ethic, pssion for the game & desire to be great. maybe gardner has these attributes too (here is case where WAS & clemson homers could help us :) )... but even if he did, they don't seem to have helped much because i wasn't aware that gardner was renowned for his formidable separation ability. i think after four seasons, it is safe to say he will never have moss-like separation ability.

at least i think there is hope for colbert as he just has one year under his belt, & there is probably more that is unknown about his ceiling, relative to gardner... we know less about what colbert CAN'T do.

i agree with the school of thought that says gardner has not had the best of QB help. but this is distinct & separate from issue of whether he separates well. it is as possible to have a good QB & not be able to separate as it is to have converse case... a bad QB coupled with WR who can separate.

to return to earlier point that gardner is clearly bigger & has equal of better athleticism? if you go by stats, they had nearly identical rookie seasons (gardner's 46-741-4 remarkably, eerily even, similar to colbert). so since gardner is so much bigger & stronger... doesn't that suggest colbert did more with less, which might confer upon him superior athleticism? but of course we could forgive gardner for having appallingly bad QB play... so we have to dig a little deeper (almost there :) ). i just don't think that it has been at all close to demonstrated, or even attempted, that gardner is equal or superior in athleticism. i have just suggested the opposite, & given a reason to support it, as well as to discount it, so others can weigh the evidence & form their own conclusion... you won't get any easy answers or spoon fed judgements in this thread.

will gardner be better in red zone than colbert. this is very possible... but aren't we talking about a situational role, than? nobody racked up more yards receiving than torry holt (ram homer alert) in past five seasons... yet b4 previous two seasons, they didn't look to him much in the end zone. we wouldn't conclude on this basis that holt wasn't a good WR in 2000-'02, because he didn't score a lot of TDs.

the comparison to holt may seem like an absurd one, but i have a reason for making it. is holt too small? is he too slow? you may be anticipating where this is leading. holt is 6'0" 190 & used to run a 4.4... these are about as close as you can get to their triangle numbers... virtually identical. earlier in this thread (actually in a link to a tangential thread), colbert was called dimunitive. when did 6'0" 190 become dimunitive? and if it is, does that make holt dimunitive?

this all is reminiscent of when lincoln was informed that grant was a drunk... he promptly asked to have a barrell of the same whisky sent to all the other generals under his command. :) if holt is dimunitive... i want a roster chock full & power packed with dimunitive WRs.

some WRs are tall, fast & excellent... moss, owens, chad johnson, javon walker, andre johnson are among best exemplars of this set of WRs.

harrison, holt, mason all are among WRs with most receptions in past 5 years... yet they are not physical specimens.

as to whether gardner would be beter on jump balls, i think there are not many times during game where this situation arises. manning & bulger don't move the ball down the field by throwing the ball up for grabs a lot (well, they couldn't as they don't have huge WRs, but that is a different story :) )... they employ a downfield attack based on precision route running, timing routes, throwing the ball into small windows but where only your guy can get it, even if they aren't wide open, etc.

what makes a WR great is a complex issue... i don't think anybody here takes a simple minded approach & says X WR must be stud because they are tall... or fast. just as we should not conclude that a WR like isaac bruce (#5 in receiving yards last season), who is not blazing fast or a physical specimen, must surely be a failure, due to the fact that he didn't have eye-popping measurables.

i would venture to say that holt separates better now than he did as a rookie (i return to this point to tie up some loose ends about why we might give colbert benefit of doubt on his inability to do this consistently as a rookie, & maybe not with 4 year veteran gardner)... why? did he get faster? did he cut his 4.4 time to a 4.3? no. the answer is, he learned some key elements to route running from his mentor bruce, & perhaps figured out a few things on his own. just to list a few, they would include learning how to cut at full speed, fooling & cross up DBs by setting them up, not giving opponents poker-like "tells" or telegraphed body language about what route to expect next, etc.

note that these have nothing to do with being 6'4", having a 40" vertical, running a sub-4.4 40 & benching 500 lbs.

separation is great, but there are only a handful of WRs in the league who are so head & shoulders above everybody else that they are perpetually runnning crazy free... guys like moss & harrison. it would be nice if there were 64 guys like that so everybody could have two... but the reality is that most teams have one guy like that if they are lucky, & many have none.

the factor that is almost universally cited about why the pro game is so difficult for rookies (especially rookie WRs & QBs) to adjust to is the fact that there is so much parity... almost everybody is talented at NFL level... faster, stronger, more explosive... since the DBs are about as fast & talented as the WRs, QBs must throw into tighter windows, use timing routes, etc.

BTW, a smaller WRs can overcome lack of separation is by tricking the DB & not reaching for ball until the last instant... colbert also effectively plays taller by extending his arms UP & highpointing the ball better than some other WRs... this must be harder than it sounds... picture yourself sprinting down sidelines than at last second stick your hands up in the air... WITHOUT BREAKING STRIDE... maintain your speed, run under control & come down with ball... i saw colbert do this a lot at USC.

i think due to his work ethic (not saying gardner doesn't have one, but i don't remember hear WAS coaches raving about it... maybe he was miscast in spurrier & gibbs systems), it is at least possible that colbert may get better at those aspects of route running like leaning how to cut at full speed... this could be an acquired skill for him, as it were.

as to the dimunitive question... maybe some see gardner being better fit next to dimunitive smith (yes, he IS dimunitive :) )... but we should at least consider the possibility that teams can succeed like the rams with a high octane passing attack without a physical, hulking "power" WR. fox has had muhammad to pair with smith in past, & maybe he likes having a big guy to start alongside the tiny smith for his run blocking prowess. but if this were the case, he might state at some point that gardner will be the man for this reason... until he does (& if he doesn't), we are speculating.

despite the fact that colbert is the size he is, fox did draft him with relatively high second round pick... maybe he was drafted to be a WR3 to complement muhammad & smith, & not as WR2? they certainly didn't know smith would be injured game one, prompting his insertion into starting lineup for most of season. they may have known whether they intended to keep muhammad or not... i suspect (bnb probably knows) they intended to re-sign him but he unexpectedly blew up & priced himself out of CAR market. that would suggest that colbert was thought of as a WR3... at least initially... with it being an open question whether colbert might than be groomed as WR2 some day? or if fox would be opposed to having two dimunitive WRs, & would insist on at least one big body for run blocking? i have no idea, but i am pretty sure i never heard fox say the latter, & i though i read things saying colbert was thought advanced & talented enuf to be WR2 that would complement smith as WR1... maybe with colbert as possession WR to complement deep threat smith.

if gardner was really a key piece to the puzzle, a future integral part of the offense, they sure didn't act like it. they played a game of chicken with SEA & NO... maybe they knew that gardner wanted to play close to home (advantage over SEA) & they did give him a one year contract whereas NO reportedly wanted two. but it seemed like they didn't care that much about whether they got him or not (they could have engineered trade with WAS much earlier if it was important), & were content to have SEA or NO steal him away if it wasn't on exactly the right terms for them.

some of the matters about colbert having imo greater chance of developing because we no less about what he CAN'T do... (many rookies struggle to separate than make marked, pronounced progress in year 2-3... gardner is in year 5... if he isn't great at separating yet...?) admittedly have more to do with dynasty concerns.

though i am still not convinced that gardner is more likely to be WR2 & colbert could drop to WR4-5 this season... barring injury of course.

sorry for the dissertation, but i thought there was more to be said than just... colbert is good. some of these matters intersect with important themes such as what makes a WR great?... is size or speed the most important element?... if not, what is?

stripping away the peripheral concerns, & tunnelling down to these more root matters, holds out the potential to broaden our fantasy acumen (not saying i have the answers... i expect to learn things from others on the thread) which we can leverage on better judgement about ALL & future skill position players, not just colbert/gardner in present context.
Wow...possibly the longest rebuttal in the history of the shark pool. Some good points in here and while I can't address them all, I'll outline the basis of my opinion.1) Dodds has Colbert at #38, 59-840-6.

2) Last year Colbert finished at #36.

3) My projection for Delhomme 3600-26-16, which is on the high side of consensus expectations.

4) My projection for Smith 106-1400-9.

5) My projection for Colbert before Gardner 60-750-3.

6) I'm allowing 600 rec yd to the RBs and 500 to the TDs.

7) That leaves 1100 between Colbert, Gardner, Carter, and Proehl. Worst case, Proehl and Carter get 400. That leaves 700 to be split between Colbert and Gardner. Even if you think my projection for Smith is high and knock it down to 1000 yards, that's still only 1100 yards on the table between the two of them. I don't see Colbert getting 70% of that.

8) While it was only a pre-season game, both Carter and Gardner made TD catches that I haven't seen Colbert make. If this becomes par rather then the exception, Colbert's PT will see a reduction.

9) Keary Colbert Car 0 0 .0 8 2 .5 red zone numbers from last year which ranked him around #60 among all WRs. Yup...8 in 16 games. By the way, Peppers had 2 red zone targets which should tell you something. Mangum had 10. Separation...size...I don't know the reason, just the result.

10) Both Carter and Gardner have better size and likely speed. Given all else being equal, that should overtake Colbert. I read your post and realize that all else, may not be equal (work ethic, hands, etc), but I don't like the odds for success when someone is starting at a disadvantage.

I hope I'm wrong and Colbert goes on to dominate this year. If that's the case, Jake will be a top 10 QB and the Cats will have one of the primier WR corps in the league which I can live with while eating my crow. That said, I'll take my chances on the #1 WR in Wash/Dallas/Bal/SD or the sure #2 WR in NYJ/NYG or even the #3 WR in Indy before rolling the dice on Colbert with all the questions I have.

Wow...possibly the longest rebuttal in the history of the shark pool. Some good points in here and while I can't address them all, I'll outline the basis of my opinion.1) Dodds has Colbert at #38, 59-840-6.

3) My projection for Delhomme 3600-26-16, which is on the high side of consensus expectations.

7) That leaves 1100 between Colbert, Gardner, Carter, and Proehl. Worst case, Proehl and Carter get 400. That leaves 700 to be split between Colbert and Gardner. Even if you think my projection for Smith is high and knock it down to 1000 yards, that's still only 1100 yards on the table between the two of them. I don't see Colbert getting 70% of that.

8) While it was only a pre-season game, both Carter and Gardner made TD catches that I haven't seen Colbert make. If this becomes par rather then the exception, Colbert's PT will see a reduction.

9) Keary Colbert Car 0 0 .0 8 2 .5 red zone numbers from last year which ranked him around #60 among all WRs. Yup...8 in 16 games. By the way, Peppers had 2 red zone targets which should tell you something. Mangum had 10. Separation...size...I don't know the reason, just the result.

10) Both Carter and Gardner have better size and likely speed. Given all else being equal, that should overtake Colbert. I read your post and realize that all else, may not be equal (work ethic, hands, etc), but I don't like the odds for success when someone is starting at a disadvantage.

I hope I'm wrong and Colbert goes on to dominate this year. If that's the case, Jake will be a top 10 QB and the Cats will have one of the primier WR corps in the league which I can live with while eating my crow. That said, I'll take my chances on the #1 WR in Wash/Dallas/Bal/SD or the sure #2 WR in NYJ/NYG or even the #3 WR in Indy before rolling the dice on Colbert with all the questions I have.
thanx for fleshing out your thought process, bnb... i appreciate it...i am quantitatively challenged, but i was just basing my projection on... if he got 750 yards last season as the WR2... he might do the same this season if he holds down the job. of course, if you think colbert is going to lose his job to gardner, you would downgrade his projections accordingly. not sure if you are calculating the projections based on your most recent thinking on whether gardner will be starting over colbert. even if gardner doesn't start, if you are higher on him than colbert it would be natural to factor him in stealing more receptions... than if you weren't as high on him. this is to be expected & it is just case where we agree to disagree.

some points you touched on...

8 - as far as carter catching a TD, it was a 1 yd TD in the 4th qarter, presumably against second & third stringers (you acknowledged this). i would be the first to admit, colbert is not my first choice to score on a pass from the 1 yard line. but those situations don't come up that often. holt doesn't get thrown to from 1 yard a lot either, but we don't conclude from that he must be a marginal WR. gardner i would agree is the most serious threat to steal receptions & maybe even his job. it just seemed like he was missing something in WAS... maybe he didn't like organization... maybe it was bad QBs... but i thought there have been whispers about his inconsistency... we will see if he can sustain his effort from game to game... he does have some great measurables, if he can play with consistency i could wrap my mind around idea of him starting more easily... that is the obstacle & what is holding me back from getting excited & hopping on gardner bandwagon.

9 - again, holt doesn't get as many red zone targets as t-gon, but he racks up a lot of receptions & yardage & is highly valuable nonetheless... there are many paths to the summit of WR greatness... being a red zone monster is helpful, but not an end all (no one attribute is)... it is possible to succeed by compensating & doing other things well.

10 - carter most assuredly is bigger & faster than colbert... he is like 6'4" & was one of fastest WRs at his draft class' combine... he did get drafted after colbert... maybe if not for multiple knee injuries he might have been drafted higher, not sure about second round... i think he was thought of in the scouting community as raw coming out of ohio state, but with his measurables, if he hit... yahtzee!

but whether it was factoring in his knee injuries... his own scouts & coaches graded colbert higher... that might count for something. no doubt, if colbert all of a sudden starts playing worse than he did b4, & carter just roars off the scouting film as demonstrably better than colbert, carter will get the nod... fox is smart, & he is not going to start an inferior player due to their pedigree.

i doubt gardner is faster... as was noted upthread, colbert surprised the scouts by clocking a 4.4 (which may have helped him climb to second round... as i recall, he also surged near draft & was one of faster rising prospect approaching draft due to looking flawless in WR drills... other traits scouts liked about him... precision route running, cutting ability, ability to run under control, hands etc)... to this day it seems that some people labor under the assumption that colbert is slow, because apparently they didn't get the memo about the 4.4. :)

just to be clear, i am not suggesting this is case with you bnb, but it just seems like it comes up a lot with others, possibly even some reading this thread, so just like to throw that out to correct a seeming imbalance in the perception at large of cobert. anyway, unless gardner can run a 4.3, i doubt if he is faster... maybe as fast. i haven't "broken down film" of him, but when i saw gardner in past he struck me as not very fluid... a little stiff & muscle bound... colbert seems to me more agile & elusive... imo, capable of getting into & out of his breaks more quickly.

i return to holt... he is same height, weight & speed as colbert. holt is one best in the business... nobody questions his measurables or says he is too small or too slow. so, given that colbert is a mirror image in terms of physical traits, it is hard to see how he is at a disadvantage in terms of measurables. maybe gardner is bigger & as fast... but colbert is big & fast ENUF... so it will be other distinguishing factors that will decide who starts. steve largent wouldn't break a stop watch, but he was mr. consistent... boring, but great route runner & highly effective.

* i never really discussed where i would take colbert in draft or who i would draft him over... i was mostly interested in delving deeper into your reasons & our reasons, based on our scouting sense, of whether colbert or gardner was the more likely to start. that has to come before the projections.

i actually agree with you if i didn't make it clear, & made concession that carries some risk. there is a large gap between me saying i think colbert will retain WR2 & isn't likely to fall to WR4-5... & saying there is no risk that he could get bumbed to WR3. it is possible, i just don't find it as likely as you... this difference of opinion seems to stem... not from a thought level... more from a deeper part of the evaluative process... we just plain SEE the respective WRs in different ways, evidently attending to different traits, highlighting some, deemphasizing others. if scouting weren't such a complex activity, it wouldn't be possible to differ on such fundamental things. that is why the i find the process of working through these questions interestin, whether engaged in dialogue or writ large in the shark pool.

Bob...did you get a chance to catch any of that pre-season game? I concede that I may be putting too much weight on it, but pre-season games in year's past have given me a great read on the Cat's upcoming season. I believe the Panthers are 9-0 in their last nine pre-season games, meaning that they are either very lucky or put a bigger emphasis on using these games as a dry run for the real ones. I still cringe every time I see Steve Smith returning kicks and hurdling tacklers in pre-season. Last year I was downgrading Smith from the consensus FBG #9 ranking as his injury risk was not being factored in. This year I see huge value as it's been over factored. I don't watch other pre-season games, just read the box scores and opinions here, so I really don't have a grasp if what I see happening here is unique or the norm around the league.

Bob...did you get a chance to catch any of that pre-season game? I concede that I may be putting too much weight on it, but pre-season games in year's past have given me a great read on the Cat's upcoming season. I believe the Panthers are 9-0 in their last nine pre-season games, meaning that they are either very lucky or put a bigger emphasis on using these games as a dry run for the real ones. I still cringe every time I see Steve Smith returning kicks and hurdling tacklers in pre-season. Last year I was downgrading Smith from the consensus FBG #9 ranking as his injury risk was not being factored in. This year I see huge value as it's been over factored. I don't watch other pre-season games, just read the box scores and opinions here, so I really don't have a grasp if what I see happening here is unique or the norm around the league.
by downgrading smith last year BEFORE injury, you sir, are a better man than i. :) i did see some of the panthers game when it was jumping around 6 games, but i don't recall seeing gardner & carter plays.

carter i know more from reputation & seeing snippets of highlights from draft last season... there isn't anything to go on from last season as he missed it in its entirety. he definitely has awesome measurables... not sure about his route running & hands, but if he can put his knee problems behind him, fox should find a role for him.

gardner i know of from WAS & colbert from USC.

another element i neglected to mention where i think a homer like yourself has a potential advantage in gathering local information & filtering it for us...

which is a level different from straight reporting of news, depth chart, coach interviews...

and a level different from aforementioned scouting sense (why bob henry can report on news outside DET)...

is your knowledge of team coaching tendencies, system & scheme info... in theory an outsider like jason wood can study all 32 teams & do accurate & insightful posts on coaching tendencies & changes... but for practical purposes, you are probably going to have an edge vs. most outsiders... like myself, being in LA & following rams specifically & defense in general (what i am tasked with for FBG) most closely.

this kind of information is very valuable... it is one thing that makes FBG & the shark pool what i call a "100 eyed monster" that sees everything (i'm exaggerating only slightly) is that we have these contributions & local expertise from so many different cities & teams around country... just today i got advice from florida & MIN locals on navigating the treacherous vikings RB currents (you could drown in there :) )... like old mississippi river boat captains who had to know unique features of the river depth they were steering through.

i wasn't trying to shut that down or sleight its importance... it is extremely valuable & i am glad the board can collectivelt tap into this kind of local expertise (cec on bell/anderson RB battle led me to handcuff anderson with bell recently)... i was just trying to get you to delineate what was local homer insight related about tendencies, & what was your opinion about scouting matters. i respect the latter, but it helps me to keep the different layers & strands separate so i can figure out how to weight them on my own.

good thread.

I just wanted to make note that last year in the preseason I posted that Colbert was going ot be a great sleeper.I guess therefore he will be a good WR....All kidding aside, anyone who thinks Gardner will steal Colbert's job, either hasn't seen Gardner play, or hates Colbert's alma mater, IMO.

I just wanted to make note that last year in the preseason I posted that Colbert was going ot be a great sleeper.

I guess therefore he will be a good WR....

All kidding aside, anyone who thinks Gardner will steal Colbert's job, either hasn't seen the Whizzinator, IMO.
:P

I just wanted to make note that last year in the preseason I posted that Colbert was going ot be a great sleeper.

All kidding aside, anyone who thinks Gardner will steal Colbert's job, either hasn't seen the Whizzinator, IMO.
Laugh it up fuzzball, the Whizzinator has been very successful. :bag:

Laugh it up fuzzball, the Whizzinator has been very successful. :bag:
No one beats the Whizz...er...Switz. EBF Invitational excluded of course!

I don't know on what other planet Gardner played football, but here on Earth he has sucked most of his career.  REALLY sucked.
:confused: 46/741/4 in 16 games is pretty impressive? I will say I saw him a few times and thought "OK he's just a rook, next year could be the 'breakout' year....." but he has largely fizzled since. cstu does make a good point in that most of his QBs have sucked, but overall IMO it's a lot more than sucky QBs.

Repeat: in anything other than large/deep leagues, neither of these CAR WR2 hopefuls are worth drafting.

I don't know on what other planet Gardner played football, but here on Earth he has sucked most of his career.  REALLY sucked.
:confused: 46/741/4 in 16 games is pretty impressive? I will say I saw him a few times and thought "OK he's just a rook, next year could be the 'breakout' year....." but he has largely fizzled since. cstu does make a good point in that most of his QBs have sucked, but overall IMO it's a lot more than sucky QBs.

Repeat: in anything other than large/deep leagues, neither of these CAR WR2 hopefuls are worth drafting.
Do you think someone with 800/8 is worth drafting? Do you agree with my earlier posts that this is possible for Carolina's WR2?If yes and yes, then it is worthwhile, provided we can identify WR2... particularly given where their WR2 will need to be drafted.

:confused: 46/741/4 in 16 games is pretty impressive?
Actually, those are not bad numbers for a rookie WR. Historically, few rookie WR's have done much better, although I do admit the 2003 and 2004 drafts were freakishly good for WR production.Since 2000, 24 WR's have been drafted in the first round (Gardner was drafted with the 15th overall pick in 2001). Of those, I would say that only five have done better than Gardner in year one. And four of those were from last year. This is not entirely fair, since there were a couple situations (like with Charles Rogers) where an injury prohibited production.

But the point is that Gardner's rookie year was a relavitve success, even whem compared only to other first round WR's.

Of course, I'm not here to prop up Gardner, as I don't think he'll be that productive at Carolina. And I'm also a believer in Colbert, although I admit it's unlikely he gets more than 60 receptions this year.

But as to the point of whehter or not Gardner had a good rookie year for numbers, I would say he did.

and by NFL coaches, evidently, b/c it is almost always the taller receover who getsthe benefit of the doubt -size m,ake for a better jump ball candifdate, size makes a player more likely to outreach the 5'11"/6'0" CBs.

Size is not overrated, though a player might be.

i reread the thread because i thought i missed something...

maybe i missed it, but i didn't see anywhere where bnb qualified his support of gardner... point taken that gardner is bigger... but where is it said that in his opinion he has equivalent or better athletic ability. or even implied. even if he had, not sure on what basis that argument would be made. maybe it could, but it is not obvious from what direction that would take place, so i would be very interested in hearing the grounds. he is bigger. that is a statement of fact. he may or may not have equivalent or superior athleticism... but that is yet to be proven. colbert's lack of separation was alluded to (more will be said about this later)... but whether gardner is skilled at this is left unsaid... i would lean to think that it is not his strong suit, or it would have been noted, but we don't have that counterbalanced perspective, so we can't say for sure until this is addressed.

Wow...possibly the longest rebuttal in the history of the shark pool. Some good points in here and while I can't address them all, I'll outline the basis of my opinion.

1) Dodds has Colbert at #38, 59-840-6.

I was curious as to the accuracy of the homer insight thus far....

My projection for Delhomme 3600-26-16, which is on the high side of consensus expectations.
On pace for 3563-26-21

My projection for Smith 106-1400-9.
On pace for 104-1589-19

I'm allowing 600 rec yd to the RBs and 500 to the TDs.
RBs pacing for 831, TEs pacing for 345

That leaves 1100 between Colbert, Gardner, Carter, and Proehl. Worst case, Proehl and Carter get 400.
These four WRs are on pace for 864 yards. Proehl and Carter pacing at 381.

I don't see Colbert getting 70% of that.
Colbert/Gardner = 116/65 or 64% to Colbert.

Keary Colbert Car 0 0 .0 8 2 .5 red zone numbers from last year which ranked him around #60 among all WRs. Yup...8 in 16 games. By the way, Peppers had 2 red zone targets which should tell you something. Mangum had 10. Separation...size...I don't know the reason, just the result.
Colbert/Gardner redzone looks 2/2 or a pace of 5/5

While it was only a pre-season game, both Carter and Gardner made TD catches that I haven't seen Colbert make.
YTD TDs: Colbert 0, Gardner 1

Looks like my biggest whiff to date was on the distribution of the WR yards. Smith is eating into both Colbert and Gardner's numbers far more then I expected. I still believe this is a short term trend and those yards will shift back. My apologies for overestimating Delhomme's yards a total of 14 at this point in the season.

Bottom line: Exempting any injuries changing the distributions, I expect my overall premise to remain intact...even if I am a homer. :P

Users who are viewing this thread