What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB J.J. McCarthy, MIN (1 Viewer)

Throwing it out there, but I think there is very much a chance that the Vikings are done trading up and are targeting Penix or preferably Nix at #23.
That's a great call. Why not?

Maybe the Vikings are like, hey, we ain't trading the farm for the 4th QB off the board. Get the deal done, and for pick 23, which is a big deal. Very expensive for someone else who wants a QB to come up from the 2nd and jump you. If they were at #31, different story. They like NIx, they like Penix, whoever. Maybe they like them much more than McCarthy. Maybe they think they can get to the playoffs with an older rookie QB.

Throwing it out there, but I think there is very much a chance that the Vikings are done trading up and are targeting Penix or preferably Nix at #23.
That's a great call. Why not?

Maybe the Vikings are like, hey, we ain't trading the farm for the 4th QB off the board. Get the deal done, and for pick 23, which is a big deal. Very expensive for someone else who wants a QB to come up from the 2nd and jump you. If they were at #31, different story. They like NIx, they like Penix, whoever. Maybe they like them much more than McCarthy. Maybe they think they can get to the playoffs with an older rookie QB.
I feel like Nix and Penix have enough warts where it's unlikely a team would trade up with the idea that they would be happy making either the face of the franchise. Teams want to be sold and get their guy, usually not just settle for qb5 or 6. I have a hard time imagining the Vikings have them both rated exactly equally.

I don't feel qualified to feel strongly about this years QBs (I have been wrong more than I have been right). I do respect Thor Nystrom's opinions because college football scouting is his main focus. He believes that Bo Nix is a 3rd round pick.

For the record, Nystom was totally in love with Puka Nacua pre-draft and when the Vikings drafted his college QB he said that they were better off if they just set the pick on fire.

Last edited:
Game manager. You don’t get Michigan’s run game or defense if you draft him.
Have to disagree with this assessment. McCarthy can make all the throws. He is one of the most accurate throwers when he is on the move. He can use his legs to hurt you. In his line loss, JJ threw two pick sixes against a favored TCU squad, on the road, yet still led a comeback that fell just six points short.

McCarthy finished with 20 completions on 34 attempts for 343 yards and 2 TDs. He added 52 rushing yards on 10 carries and another TD.

Yes the two pick sixes were bad but the rest of the game demonstrated that he is more than a game manager. I believe people who pass on JJ are going to regret it for years. I have Maye rated slightly above JJ but if. JJ ends up in Minnesota with Jefferson, Addison, Hockenson and Jones, he will easily be my QB1 in this draft.

I think all 4 of the top QBs are excellent prospects that can be developed into really good pros. I also think they each have some negatives you wish they didn’t possess.

Caleb- a little smaller than I’d like and a little too much diva

Maye- inconsistency

Daniels- scary thin frame and older

McCarthy- smaller sample size

What’s really going to make or break their careers IMO are their intangibles and for me, McCarthy is the head of the class in that department. He is exactly the type of guy I’d want to be my franchise QB. Attitude, leadership, work ethic, charm, all off the charts.

Having watched how the Commanders went about their coaching search, both how thorough it was and what values they put a premium on, really think you cannot rule them out for taking McCarthy at 2. All the buzz in the building has been about leadership and professionalism and setting a standard of how things are going to be done moving forward. Breaking from the toxic past and starting fresh. I can’t help but think Peters and Quinn and the whole group really are going to fall for JJ the person. Will they see enough on tape to justify the pick? You got me there but for me he passes the test.

@menobrown posted the first half stats of each of these guys somewhere and it was illuminating because he wasn’t worlds behind like his overall stats were. You look at his 3rd down stats and he’s off the charts. He’s got all the arm you can ask for. He executes a bunch of really high level NFL throws on tape, more than I see from Daniels in quantity and more consistently than I see from Maye. I’m for sure positive Wash hasn’t come close to making up their minds yet. They are in true detective mode on all 3 of these guys (and probably Caleb too though in reality they know he’s not going to be an option) and turning over every single rock to learn about them as players and humans. And we are going to have absolutely no idea who the pick will be in advance because this group is for real air tight on leaks.

Bottom line, there is a real chance IMO pick 2 could be a stunner and send some shockwaves on draft day. We have about a month to go, would not shock me in the least to keep hearing more and more about how much the NFL loves JJ McCarthy and for him to start being viewed in the same tier as Maye and Daniels. As a fan I really don’t know who I want, but am grateful to have some really great evaluators in place to make that call. Can’t say how awesome it feels to finally feel the team has a better idea about what to do with the pick than me. Again, just having watched them operate this off-season, think JJ is very much in the mix.

Last edited:
I think all 4 of the top QBs are excellent prospects that can be developed into really good pros. I also think they each have some negatives you wish they processed.

Maye- inconsistency

Daniels- scary thin frame and age

What’s really going to make or break their careers IMO are their intangibles and for me, McCarthy is the head of the class in that department. He is exactly the type of guy I’d want to be my franchise QB. Attitude, leadership, work ethic, charm, all off the charts.

Having watched how the Commanders went through their coaching search, both how thorough it was and what values they out a premium on, really think you cannot rule them out for taking McCarthy at 2. All the buzz in the building has been about leadership and professionalism and setting a standard of how things are going to be done moving forward. Breaking from the toxic past and starting fresh. I can’t help but think Peters and Quinn and the whole group really are going to fall for JJ the person. Will they see enough on tape to justify the pick? You got me there but for me he passes the test. @menobrown posted the first half stats of each of these guys somewhere and it was illuminating because he wasn’t worlds behind like his overall stats were. You look at his 3rd down stats and he’s off the charts. He’s got all the arm you can ask for. He executes a bunch of really high level NFL throws on tape, more than I see from Daniels in quantity and more consistently than I see from Maye. I’m for sure positive Wash hasn’t come close to making up their minds yet. They are in true detective mode on all 3 of these guys (and probably Caleb too though in reality they know he’s not going to be an option) and turning over every single rock to learn about them as players and humans. And we are going to have absolutely no idea who the pick will be in advance because this group is for real air tight on leaks.

Bottom line, there is a real chance IMO pick 2 could be a stunner and send some shockwaves on draft day. We have about a month to go, would not shock me in the least to keep hearing more and more about how much the NFL loves JJ McCarthy and for him to start being viewed in the same tier as Maye and Daniels. As a fan I really don’t know who I want, but am grateful to have some really great evaluators in place to make that call. Can’t say how awesome it feels to finally feel the team has a better idea about what to do with the pick than me. Again, just having watch them operate this off-season, think JJ is very much in the mix.
You may very well be right, but if so, Washington should offer to trade down as I'm sure Maye and Daniels are going to be coveted higher than JJ by most teams

I think all 4 of the top QBs are excellent prospects that can be developed into really good pros. I also think they each have some negatives you wish they processed.

Maye- inconsistency

Having watched how the Commanders went through their coaching search, both how thorough it was and what values they out a premium on, really think you cannot rule them out for taking McCarthy at 2. All the buzz in the building has been about leadership and professionalism and setting a standard of how things are going to be done moving forward. Breaking from the toxic past and starting fresh. I can’t help but think Peters and Quinn and the whole group really are going to fall for JJ the person. Will they see enough on tape to justify the pick? You got me there but for me he passes the test. @menobrown posted the first half stats of each of these guys somewhere and it was illuminating because he wasn’t worlds behind like his overall stats were. You look at his 3rd down stats and he’s off the charts. He’s got all the arm you can ask for. He executes a bunch of really high level NFL throws on tape, more than I see from Daniels in quantity and more consistently than I see from Maye. I’m for sure positive Wash hasn’t come close to making up their minds yet. They are in true detective mode on all 3 of these guys (and probably Caleb too though in reality they know he’s not going to be an option) and turning over every single rock to learn about them as players and humans. And we are going to have absolutely no idea who the pick will be in advance because this group is for real air tight on leaks.

Bottom line, there is a real chance IMO pick 2 could be a stunner and send some shockwaves on draft day. We have about a month to go, would not shock me in the least to keep hearing more and more about how much the NFL loves JJ McCarthy and for him to start being viewed in the same tier as Maye and Daniels. As a fan I really don’t know who I want, but am grateful to have some really great evaluators in place to make that call. Can’t say how awesome it feels to finally feel the team has a better idea about what to do with the pick than me. Again, just having watch them operate this off-season, think JJ is very much in the mix.
You may very well be right, but if so, Washington should offer to trade down as I'm sure Maye and Daniels are going to be coveted higher than JJ by most teams

Nah you can’t get cute about QB. If they come to this conclusion it’s pretty arrogant for them to assume they are the only team that did. You don’t fall in love with him and then risk losing him while trying to hop around the board. He’s going 4th at worst IMO.

Last edited:
Bottom line, there is a real chance IMO pick 2 could be a stunner and send some shockwaves on draft day. We have about a month to go, would not shock me in the least to keep hearing more and more about how much the NFL loves JJ McCarthy and for him to start being viewed in the same tier as Maye and Daniels
Great post.

I'm definitely not going to be shocked if JJ goes 2, but I did pick up some very strong info yesterday that Jayden Daniels is viewed as a top 3 lock, which is not exactly breaking news but way I interpreted it he might be a tier up for most teams with QB3 more likely between Maye and McCarthy.

Bottom line, there is a real chance IMO pick 2 could be a stunner and send some shockwaves on draft day. We have about a month to go, would not shock me in the least to keep hearing more and more about how much the NFL loves JJ McCarthy and for him to start being viewed in the same tier as Maye and Daniels
Great post.

I'm definitely not going to be shocked if JJ goes 2, but I did pick up some very strong info yesterday that Jayden Daniels is viewed as a top 3 lock, which is not exactly breaking news but way I interpreted it he might be a tier up for most teams with QB3 more likely between Maye and McCarthy.

I buy it. Of all the negatives with these 4 guys, the one one that concerns me most is Jayden’s frame. Maybe it’s ptsd from Griffin but he just doesn’t look like he can survive in the league for long. Hope I’m wrong because he could be phenomenal if he can stay on the field.

Great post.

I buy it. Of all the negatives with these 4 guys, the one one that concerns me most is Jayden’s frame. Maybe it’s ptsd from Griffin but he just doesn’t look like he can survive in the league for long. Hope I’m wrong because he could be phenomenal if he can stay on the field.
It feels very real that QBs go 1-4.

JJM's rise has been amazing to watch. Not so slim Jim said weeks ago he'd go #1 overall once everyone has the chance to fully assess the QBs. We're now up to #3 or 4 in mock drafts and #2 among at least a few Deadskin fans. I'd like to say there's no chance he overtakes the chosen one at #1, but I am sorely rooting for it. And I am not at all sure that JJM won't be the better pick, even there. What a draft this 2024!

Maye- inconsistency

Washington is listening to trade calls for the #2 pick.

JJM's rise has been amazing to watch. Not so slim Jim said weeks ago he'd go #1 overall once everyone has the chance to fully assess the QBs. We're now up to #3 or 4 in mock drafts and #2 among at least a few Deadskin fans. I'd like to say there's no chance he overtakes the chosen one at #1, but I am sorely rooting for it. And I am not at all sure that JJM won't be the better pick, even there. What a draft this 2024!
Interesting I have been listening to a scout who has from day one had the rankings as: Caleb, Daniels, McCarthey and Maye respectively. He basically said that McCarthey would be labelled a riser because you have NFL personalities that are not doing college scouting year round and need to make ranking as soon as the NFL season is over. They are box score scouting. When they actual get around to watching the film they are going the make the correction but at same time they are not going to admit their first take was wrong.

Odds are 3 out of 4 become busts. You look back at these classes in a few years and go “oh yeah, we should have seen that coming.”

Guy that goes to the Bears, Jets, or Giants? Obvious bust.

Slightly built 5 year college player and just one year of great production with two elite WRs? Bust.

Defensive head coach and constant pressure to be Brady? Bust.

Guy that goes to a QB and offensive guru in a stable situation? That’s the guy you want. Probably McCarthy. And I don’t much like McCarthy.

Albert Breer
Ahead of his Friday Pro Day, Michigan QB JJ McCarthy had lengthy meetings Thursday in Ann Arbor with 3 teams—the Patriots, Seahawks and Commanders. Seattle coach Mike Macdonald was with McCarthy at Michigan in 2021.

McCarthy's been excellent in that setting, meeting with teams.

Macdonald wasn't in Ann Arbor for it, but obviously the Seahawks have great intel on McCarthy, with their new head coach and Jay Harbaugh on staff. And for what it's worth, the Commanders had the dinner slot on Thursday.

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports, “People who know [Commanders GM] Adam Peters think he likes J.J. McCarthy.”
It’s worth reminding everyone that we are in prime smokescreen season. We’re also more than a month away from the draft. With that said, the Commanders met with McCarthy at Michigan’s Pro Day and reportedly had dinner with him the night before. Currently holding the No. 2 pick in this year’s draft, the Commanders will presumably have their pick at any quarterback not named Caleb Williams — assuming they don’t trade out of their spot. They’re also expected to meet with Drake Maye and Jayden Daniels before draft day. McCarthy’s draft stock has risen immensely throughout this process, to the point where his being the second player off the board wouldn’t surprise anybody.

Well, that didn’t take long.

For me, there’s a Jayden Daniels bucket and a Maye/McCarthy bucket. Two very different paths to building the identity for the next 5+ years. Personally, I rule Daniels out based on his size. He’s too small IMO to play like that at the next level. And I don’t see a lot of NFL throws on his tape either.

So then it’s Maye vs JJ. I am not nearly qualified enough to know which is the better prospect. I’m fine with either and would get on board if Daniels were the pick as well. I’m just saying, it’s not all that crazy they end up deciding JJ is the *person* they want. The tape has to clear a certain bar, but after that, they are going to heavily weigh the intangibles. And I’m not knocking Maye or Daniels in that department, they’re both really good guys. Just think JJ is a 10/10 when it comes to that stuff. Rare traits.

Any leaks though are coming from players, agents, other teams…no one is going to get real info from Washington until the pick is in.

no one is going to get real info from Washington until the pick is in.
Excellent points. However, it is no secret that Caleb Williams is going to the Bears at 1.01, and it seems to me that there is almost no chance Washington trades down from Pick no 2, so there really isn't a lot of incentive to disguise who they are favoring. If anything, they might be floating that information out there to gauge how it will be received and even to grease the skids a bit.

I don't feel qualified to feel strongly about this years QBs (I have been wrong more than I have been right). I do respect Thor Nystrom's opinions because college football scouting is his main focus. He believes that Bo Nix is a 3rd round pick.

For the record, Nystom was totally in love with Puka Nacua pre-draft and when the Vikings drafted his college QB he said that they were better off if they just set the pick on fire.
Thor also loves McCarthy.

Excellent points. However, it is no secret that Caleb Williams is going to the Bears at 1.01, and it seems to me that there is almost no chance Washington trades down from Pick no 2, so there really isn't a lot of incentive to disguise who they are favoring. If anything, they might be floating that information out there to gauge how it will be received and even to grease the skids a bit.

Agree, no real need to be secretive, it’s just how this group is operating. My best guess is we keep hearing smoke about JJ in general and he solidifies a top 4 status. And Washington probably settles on a guy maybe a week or so prior to the draft. Then mayyybe we start hearing some signals so the fanbase doesn’t freak out one way or the other. But I fully expect to be on the edge of my seat on draft night, wondering which of the three names are about to drop.

As far as greasing the skids, it would be truly shocking to see them trade down at all. They will answer the phone but they aren’t moving.

Wouldn't be surprised if NFL told them to create some intrigue esp. since there doesn't seem any at #1.

it seems to me that there is almost no chance Washington trades down from Pick no 2, so there really isn't a lot of incentive to disguise who they are favoring.
Unless it's the Pats, and maybe they can scare the Pats into coughing up a pick to get JJ, and they take the guy they wanted at 3.

I don't think that's likely, but no harm in floating names, which they are CLEARLY doing.

If I was WAS, and I wanted Daniels, but I was pretty sure the Pats wanted McCarthy, I might send up a smoke signal. And really, the Pats and McCarthy fit perfectly, down to the school.

If I was Washington I'd pick JJ at 2.

I still lean on them taking Daniels but it's a small lean based on what I view was very credible info Daniels was a top 3 lock and the Howell departure/Mariotta acquisition.

People are still struggling with the concept of JJ going remotely this high. Saw a mock today from Ben Standig, beat writer for Washington with The Athletic. It was the best mock I've seen this year and I say that totally out of bias because I'd have had the same exact top 8 picks and thought the 9th made sense I just did not think about it. He had Daniels going to WAS, JJ going to NE at 3.(he later tweeted out he'd not be surprised to see JJ got 2 to WAS_

Anyway I read the comment section and he was getting ripped for having JJ going third. Any suggestion of him even in the top 6 gets some people fired up. Meanwhile I get annoyed when people tie the Vikings to Maye and act like it's a foregone conclusion they'd need to move to 3 to get him. Maybe they do, just don't act like it's still a Big 3. It's a Big 4, catch up people.

Feel like we've come a long way in these boards with McCarthy, was not long ago suggestion he was a first rounder left some people dubious and a top 10 pick was seen as crazy talk.

If I was Washington I'd pick JJ at 2.

I still lean on them taking Daniels but it's a small lean based on what I view was very credible info Daniels was a top 3 lock and the Howell departure/Mariotta acquisition.

People are still struggling with the concept of JJ going remotely this high. Saw a mock today from Ben Standig, beat writer for Washington with The Athletic. It was the best mock I've seen this year and I say that totally out of bias because I'd have had the same exact top 8 picks and thought the 9th made sense I just did not think about it. He had Daniels going to WAS, JJ going to NE at 3.(he later tweeted out he'd not be surprised to see JJ got 2 to WAS_

Anyway I read the comment section and he was getting ripped for having JJ going third. Any suggestion of him even in the top 6 gets some people fired up. Meanwhile I get annoyed when people tie the Vikings to Maye and act like it's a foregone conclusion they'd need to move to 3 to get him. Maybe they do, just don't act like it's still a Big 3. It's a Big 4, catch up people.

Feel like we've come a long way in these boards with McCarthy, was not long ago suggestion he was a first rounder left some people dubious and a top 10 pick was seen as crazy talk.

What’s the info you saw that had Daniels locked in top 3? Just curious.

He really has the most red flags for me. I mentioned his frame, age, and lack of NFL throws. He’s also off the charts (in a bad way) in analytics measuring pressures to sacks and also not taking off running in those situations. Seems like most of his best moments are just deep shots to wide open receivers or 60 yard runs. I don’t see either of those things happening much at the next level. And we still don’t have his weight.

I see Cunningham when I watch him, and it’s really tempting upside, but pretty sure he’s QB4 for me in real life given the downside. More and more I find myself rooting for Maye or JJ at 2.

Here it is but please allow me to explain the sources in case you, or others reading, are not familiar.

Mike Jurecki is someone I think I've followed on twitter for over 10 years and can't recall him ever breaking one single story or providing much useful info. The person he references as the source in that tweet, Benjamin Allbright, has been money on his reporting especially the QB market this off-season. I know some people in here follow him, I've seen massraider quote him sometimes, he's techinically an employee of the Broncos but does national reporting. He's also a odd dude who gets into constant twitter battles with people, rubs a lot of people the wrong way so a lot of people hate him and all of that is why he'll likely never be a big househould name.

But again, I could go through and source a bunch of stuff but he's dead on with so much stuff this off-season and really past few years and I don't mean like some someone throwing up tons of rumors then claiming they are an insider because they hit one. I personally view him as credible as it gets.

So two tweets I'll reference and you ain't going to like the second one, lol ,if it's true I should say, you and others don't have to believe it and I'm cool with that. When I say credible I mean to me.

Here is the first tweet from Jurecki which refernces Allbright as the source:

Here is a more detailed second tweet in the same thread from someone I do not know at all or can in anyway vouch for but Allbright responded to the tweet saying it was true.Number 4 you will find most un-agreeable.

You can’t take the Vegas odds too seriously. I almost forgot about Will Levi’s odds going to #1 increased to +600 over one weekend. It was all attributable to a Redit rumour.

Here it is but please allow me to explain the sources in case you, or others reading, are not familiar.

Mike Jurecki is someone I think I've followed on twitter for over 10 years and can't recall him ever breaking one single story or providing much useful info. The person he references as the source in that tweet, Benjamin Allbright, has been money on his reporting especially the QB market this off-season. I know some people in here follow him, I've seen massraider quote him sometimes, he's techinically an employee of the Broncos but does national reporting. He's also a odd dude who gets into constant twitter battles with people, rubs a lot of people the wrong way so a lot of people hate him and all of that is why he'll likely never be a big househould name.

But again, I could go through and source a bunch of stuff but he's dead on with so much stuff this off-season and really past few years and I don't mean like some someone throwing up tons of rumors then claiming they are an insider because they hit one. I personally view him as credible as it gets.

So two tweets I'll reference and you ain't going to like the second one, lol ,if it's true I should say, you and others don't have to believe it and I'm cool with that. When I say credible I mean to me.

Here is the first tweet from Jurecki which refernces Allbright as the source:

Here is a more detailed second tweet in the same thread from someone I do not know at all or can in anyway vouch for but Allbright responded to the tweet saying it was true.Number 4 you will find most un-agreeable.

Gotcha. Yeah I see a bunch of Allbright on the Skins boards. He has been very much on point. The first tweet isn’t opening for me btw but I get the gist.

He’s definitely credible, about as good as it gets really. And it may prove accurate but for now I’ll stick to my guns and say they themselves don’t know yet. Maybe a lean, probably several leans depending on which particular exec or coach you ask, but I truly don’t think there’s anything close to a consensus yet. There is a thought out there Quinn like him best but it’s mainly just based on a word association he did with each of the QBs. It was rapid fire, describe in one word and he lit up at Daniels and called him a game changer. There’s just not much to go on and that’s one of the biggest crumbs we’ve received.

If it is Daniels, I’ll just look at the things I like about him and hope for the best. He’ll for sure be fun to watch.

Also, there’s this: https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/st...85189164994943?s=4626t=Xx80_o68XoD-yyBdIsskJw

Great post.

I worry more about Daniels being a relatively raw prospect with just one outstanding season despite having played five years in college. 2022 wasn’t a bad year but pales compared to 2023.

And then I read things like this:

— Mediocre velocity. Can sometimes struggle driving the ball into tight windows. — Inconsistent accuracy to the short and intermediate areas, especially if not throwing on time.

I haven’t watched game tape but assume the scouts have. People with weak (relative) arms have succeeded (Brees, Newton and Ryan) but it’s much harder and depends on superlative accuracy and timing.

Wouldn't be surprised if NFL told them to create some intrigue esp. since there doesn't seem any at #1.
Not likely. The NFL doesn’t need to get teams to pump up the intrigue. The teams will do it on their own in an attempt to increase viewership for the draft. It directly puts money in their pockets.

Great post.

I worry more about Daniels being a relatively raw prospect with just one outstanding season despite having played five years in college. 2022 wasn’t a bad year but pales compared to 2023.

And then I read things like this:

— Mediocre velocity. Can sometimes struggle driving the ball into tight windows. — Inconsistent accuracy to the short and intermediate areas, especially if not throwing on time.

I haven’t watched game tape but assume the scouts have. People with weak (relative) arms have succeeded (Brees, Newton and Ryan) but it’s much harder and depends on superlative accuracy and timing.

He doesn’t throw with anticipation either from what I’ve seen. A lot of his stats came from bombs to Nabers and Thomas, wide open behind the defense. And no, I don’t see the velocity either. He can bomb it deep but it’s the rainbow, down the chute style throw.

I really want to like him, he’s dazzling to watch and reminds me of Cunningham, is a hard worker and great guy, but there are so many red flags about his play style, college career, and draft profile to me. I don’t see NFL traits when I watch him.

It really feels like a less douchey version of RG3 to me.

Not likely. The NFL doesn’t need to get teams to pump up the intrigue. The teams will do it on their own in an attempt to increase viewership for the draft. It directly puts money in their pockets.
Sure they do, they want people to watch.

EVERYONE anywhere near the NFL is saying he's a top guy.

The people who are claiming otherwise, are the ones with no contacts who told us he was a 2nd round pick 3 months ago.
As a Charger fan I hope you're right. But after reading the Charles Robinson article linked above your post by Faust I am not convinced.

Users who are viewing this thread