What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colonoscopy preparation today..... (2 Viewers)

Is it cool for chicks to talk about this? I'm prepping today for a 6:00am scope tomorrow. Drank that mag citrate, drank 1/2 the prep potion. Have the other half at 4:00pm. My maternal grandfather died of colon cancer at 52, my mother had lower bowel cancer at 45. I'm 43. My sister had polyps removed at 36 and has been pressuring me to get the scope. Since I haven't been pregnant in two years, I figured the time was right.

Is it cool for chicks to talk about this? I'm prepping today for a 6:00am scope tomorrow. Drank that mag citrate, drank 1/2 the prep potion. Have the other half at 4:00pm. My maternal grandfather died of colon cancer at 52, my mother had lower bowel cancer at 45. I'm 43. My sister had polyps removed at 36 and has been pressuring me to get the scope. Since I haven't been pregnant in two years, I figured the time was right.
Good luck! 6am is a good time to do it - then ya can go eat after.

That Super Bowl Prep stuff is the worst :toilet:

-QG

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the stuff they gave me was fine, like Lemonade that was slightly sour. Also, I didn't really feel hungry. 32 OZ of Chicken broth was quite filling.

The potion wasn't too bad. I got the cough syrup flavor instead of the lemon lime flavor because I kind of like cough syrup. I'm starting to get really hungry now though. Might get some broth. Thanks for the encouragement!

Just had mine a couple of hours ago. Still a little groggy. But it was a success and everything looks clear. Don't have to have another one for 10 years :thumbup:

Afterwords my daughter drove me over to my favorite burger place to get Burger Fries and a nice chocolate malt. Ate it while watching "Paul", then fell asleep for 4 hours.

the stuff to drink was not the best tasting stuff I have had, it was OK. It was a lot better than Jones Thanksgiving Soda :X

So I had my consultation and the doc is giving me that giant half-gallon jug to drink. I've heard people talking about a less disgusting drink or even a pill method to clean me out for the test. Should I look for a different doctor that is using more modern means or just suck it up and drink the crap?

eta: I'm a wimp with bad tasting stuff. I'm just afraid I won't get it down and will be puking it up.

So I had my consultation and the doc is giving me that giant half-gallon jug to drink. I've heard people talking about a less disgusting drink or even a pill method to clean me out for the test. Should I look for a different doctor that is using more modern means or just suck it up and drink the crap?
Last time I just used excessive miralax, worked like a charm and tasteless.

So I had my consultation and the doc is giving me that giant half-gallon jug to drink. I've heard people talking about a less disgusting drink or even a pill method to clean my out for the test. Should I look for a different doctor that is using more modern means or just suck it up and drink the crap?
Step 1. Google "Miralax Colonoscopy Prep"

Step 2. Click on first link

Step 3. Follow the directions from step 2

Step 4. Start process the day before colonoscopy

Step 5. Crap your brains out

Step 6. Sleep very close to a toilet

Step 7. Go to center where colonoscopy will be done

Step 8. Tell doctor you drank the whole half gallon of that disgusting liquid

So I had my consultation and the doc is giving me that giant half-gallon jug to drink. I've heard people talking about a less disgusting drink or even a pill method to clean my out for the test. Should I look for a different doctor that is using more modern means or just suck it up and drink the crap?

Really?

I hate to lie to a doctor. There's no difference if I do it this way?

The doctor ordered that stuff at my pharmacy and it's waiting for me. I guess I'd have to pay for it if I'm trying to fool him into thinking I did it his way.

Really?

The doctor ordered that stuff at my pharmacy and it's waiting for me. I guess I'd have to pay for it if I'm trying to fool him into thinking I did it his way.
There is no difference. The point of the prep is to clear out your system and trust me that the miralax prep will do just that without any disgusting taste. I have Crohn's disease and have been doing this every year for most of my life. My doctor always orders these disgusting preps and never has a clue. The results come out just fine. Also, how would he know if you actually filled the script at the pharmacy? That shouldn't get back to him.

Really?

There is no difference. The point of the prep is to clear out your system and trust me that the miralax prep will do just that without any disgusting taste. I have Crohn's disease and have been doing this every year for most of my life. My doctor always orders these disgusting preps and never has a clue. The results come out just fine. Also, how would he know if you actually filled the script at the pharmacy? That shouldn't get back to him.
Well, they called it in to my pharmacy, so if I don't pick it up I'm guessing they'll call the doctor. Might be worth the price to avoid it.

Really?

Well, they called it in to my pharmacy, so if I don't pick it up I'm guessing they'll call the doctor. Might be worth the price to avoid it.
Ok I'm not sure what the usual practice is here but I don't think pharmacies typically call the physician back (regardless of whether the script was picked up or not). I could be wrong on this though. I usually just get handed the script when I have my doctor's visit (prior to the colonoscopy). It may be "safer" to just pay the money and pick it up. Either way, I would never do that disgusting prep. I can't believe doctors still use that.

The first link of Miralax Colonoscopy Prep is a paid ad. I'm assuming you meant the Medical Clinic of Houston pdf?

Really?

I did the Miralax prep. That's what my doctor told me to do. Works great. And by great I mean, pooped my brains out all day.

Just don't drink red gatorade to rehydrate.

The first link of Miralax Colonoscopy Prep is a paid ad. I'm assuming you meant the Medical Clinic of Houston pdf?
Yup the PDF
Thanks GB! :thumbup: I think I'm doing that.
Good luck. The whole process and procedure will be a piece of cake
Thanks.

I've never been overly concerned with the procedure, although I've never been put under before. Turned 50 last July but my doctor has pushed me for a couple of years because of family history with my mom having had colon cancer. Drinking that crap was always my concern but I'm feeling much better now. I could probably use a good cleaning :)

Really?

Ok I'm not sure what the usual practice is here but I don't think pharmacies typically call the physician back (regardless of whether the script was picked up or not). I could be wrong on this though. I usually just get handed the script when I have my doctor's visit (prior to the colonoscopy). It may be "safer" to just pay the money and pick it up. Either way, I would never do that disgusting prep. I can't believe doctors still use that.
Pharmacies will not call the physician back. The doctor rarely calls a pharmacy to "check up" on a prescription being filled, unless it's for someone who's showing signs of shopping around for controlled substances (pain killers, etc.). I'd just tell the doc you went the Miralax after talking to the internet, if you're worried about it.

:blackdot:

grumpy 50 year old. :rant:
It's time.

A good friend just went through hell after discovering his colon cancer. Better to get a look now.
How old is your friend?
I had a Dr. checkup about a month ago and the check-in nurse getting vitals, etc., said "hey, you're 50 this year... time for the colonoscopy." She was way too cheerful in her tone, but she's right. I don't have a family history of colon cancer but you never know.

If you are 50, get this done now, and you are good for 10 years. Colon cancer is slow growing.

My younger brother got colon cancer at age 40. Its now in his liver. You want to get this checked ASAP if you are 50. The butt faucet the night before is the worst part.

eta: I'm a wimp with bad tasting stuff. I'm just afraid I won't get it down and will be puking it up.
I also have Crohn's and have been getting a Colonoscopy every 2 years since I was 16. After my first couple I just told my Dr. that I could not drink the gallon stuff anymore. I have to remind him every year, but he always says no problem and lets me go with the over-the-counter meds. Works like a charm!

Best of Luck!!

If you are 50, get this done now, and you are good for 10 years. Colon cancer is slow growing.

My younger brother got colon cancer at age 40. Its now in his liver. You want to get this checked ASAP if you are 50. The butt faucet the night before is the worst part.
Yikes...40!

Best wishes to your brother. That sucks.

I also have Crohn's and have been getting a Colonoscopy every 2 years since I was 16. After my first couple I just told my Dr. that I could not drink the gallon stuff anymore. I have to remind him every year, but he always says no problem and lets me go with the over-the-counter meds. Works like a charm!

Best of Luck!!
:thumbup:

I'm glad I asked. I'm doing it that way.

Lots of fellow multi-colonoscopy dudes in here. Colon cancer at 21, I have had a grand total of 30 colonscopies (I'm 47 now). Had 2 a year for a couple of years after surgery.

Weigh yourself before and after pooping commences, it might be the only thing that makes you feel good during that 18 hour period.

Really?

Pharmacies will not call the physician back. The doctor rarely calls a pharmacy to "check up" on a prescription being filled, unless it's for someone who's showing signs of shopping around for controlled substances (pain killers, etc.). I'd just tell the doc you went the Miralax after talking to the internet, if you're worried about it.
Good to know. I'll think about telling the pharmacy so they don't keep leaving messages. Might not tell the doc. Going on the 27th.

IN YOUR BUTT!!!!!!

eta:

dammit... I mean-

UP YOUR BUTT!!!!!

eta:

eh... either one will do... IN THE BUTT!!!

Lots of fellow multi-colonoscopy dudes in here. Colon cancer at 21, I have had a grand total of 30 colonscopies (I'm 47 now). Had 2 a year for a couple of years after surgery.

Weigh yourself before and after pooping commences, it might be the only thing that makes you feel good during that 18 hour period.
I did plan on weighing myself.

I guess a good cleanse doesn't hurt either. I've been eating much healthier the last few years so maybe I'll get some of the old crap out of me.

I am getting my first one next week. Do I need to shave "down there"? I was to emabarased to ask.
You're not already shaved?

Heathen.

How would you feel if you were a nurse or doctor and had to jam a garden hose up your sweaty, smelly, hairy #######?

I'm 41. March 9th for an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Guess they want to get in there when they put me under.

/yeah, worried.

I'm 41. March 9th for an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Guess they want to get in there when they put me under.

/yeah, worried.
If they were too worried they would have scheduled it earlier. What symptoms caused the test to be scheduled?
Eh, specialist and health care. The causes? Ulcers, massive dehydration (magnesium levels are way off) and bleeding in places blood shouldn't be. Only happened briefly, and stopped more than a month ago, but they still want to do it.

/yeah, worried.
If they were too worried they would have scheduled it earlier. What symptoms caused the test to be scheduled?
Eh, specialist and health care. The causes? Ulcers, massive dehydration (magnesium levels are way off) and bleeding in places blood shouldn't be. Only happened briefly, and stopped more than a month ago, but they still want to do it.
Likely nothing to worry about. When my primary care doc really thought I had an issue, I had seen a GI doc, had a colonoscopy, and was in surgery all within a week.

I'm 35, but had been having stomach pains and cramping on and off since about mid-December. Did the Gatorade prep with the Miralax and Dulcolax combo. Potent stuff.

Found two polyps that they removed, both benign but apparently rare for someone my age. Also had nothing to do with my pains, so still waiting that one out. Gotta go back in 3 years. My wife's cousin just died last year from colon cancer at 51 and my doc says they are seeing more and more people in the forties get colon cancer. Not sure why they don't just move up the recommended age to 40. Outside of the day before and day after bathroom escapades, the entire thing is really no big deal.

I'm 35, but had been having stomach pains and cramping on and off since about mid-December. Did the Gatorade prep with the Miralax and Dulcolax combo. Potent stuff.

Found two polyps that they removed, both benign but apparently rare for someone my age. Also had nothing to do with my pains, so still waiting that one out. Gotta go back in 3 years. My wife's cousin just died last year from colon cancer at 51 and my doc says they are seeing more and more people in the forties get colon cancer. Not sure why they don't just move up the recommended age to 40. Outside of the day before and day after bathroom escapades, the entire thing is really no big deal.
I am glad to hear you are ok.

Thanks man. I should probably start a thread to see if people can help me self-diagnose. Been through a CT scan that they thought showed mild colitis or Crohn's (it was neither), then the colonoscopy that showed the polyps but nothing else, then an ultrasound that showed a hemangioma on my liver but again it was so small it was nothing that would cause symptoms. Next thing might be to do some test called a HIDA scan of my gallbladder. Also scheduled for an endoscopy to check for ulcers and the like. Just really frustrating having stomach pains for basically two months straight.

My doc seems to think it's lactose intolerance, but I've mostly avoided dairy the past two weeks (and taking lactaid when I do), and I'm not really any better. Pain is mostly just underneath my ribs and in the middle of my belly between each side of my rib cage. Literally zero symptoms aside from the pain, which is more annoying than debilitating and comes and goes throughout the day. So weird.

Thanks man. I should probably start a thread to see if people can help me self-diagnose. Been through a CT scan that they thought showed mild colitis or Crohn's (it was neither), then the colonoscopy that showed the polyps but nothing else, then an ultrasound that showed a hemangioma on my liver but again it was so small it was nothing that would cause symptoms. Next thing might be to do some test called a HIDA scan of my gallbladder. Also scheduled for an endoscopy to check for ulcers and the like. Just really frustrating having stomach pains for basically two months straight.

My doc seems to think it's lactose intolerance, but I've mostly avoided dairy the past two weeks (and taking lactaid when I do), and I'm not really any better. Pain is mostly just underneath my ribs and in the middle of my belly between each side of my rib cage. Literally zero symptoms aside from the pain, which is more annoying than debilitating and comes and goes throughout the day. So weird.
Weird. Same here. I call them rib cramps. Nobody has told me cancer or anything. They're awful when I even put a seat belt on. It's the turning motion. I nearly have to jump out of my seat when I turn at times.

Mine is next Friday.
Good luck, man.

Users who are viewing this thread