What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colston might play this week! (1 Viewer)

If Colston is 100% healthy and ready to go for next week...who is the Saint to have for the rest of the season in non PPR, Colston or Bush?
The answer to that question depends whether your league counts return TDs and return yardage. If so, I'd give the edge to Bush. If not, Colston, especially if Deuce can stay healthy.

New Orleans Saints' Marques Colston showing progress

After a return to the practice field Wednesday, Saints tight end Jeremy Shockey missed Thursday's session. Receiver Marques Colston practiced on a limited basis for the second consecutive day, prolonging the hope he could be back on the playing field as soon as Sunday.

"We saw Marques practice today, so in his case, again, I was encouraged, " Saints Coach Sean Payton said. "With Jeremy, I've just got to see where he's at tomorrow and see how the second day after his first day of practice yesterday, see how he feels. But with Marques, again, he was out there, we were able to see him move around and function, and he did pretty well."

Colston, who is recovering from thumb surgery, was receiving treatment after Thursday's practice and was unavailable for comment. Payton said recently that a target return date for several of his injured players, including Colston and Shockey, was Oct. 19 for the game at Carolina.

"There's a splint that he'll wear that prohibits any negative movement, " Payton said Thursday about Colston. "The cast is off, and it's just getting comfortable with the speed of the game now and the flexibility with his thumb and his hand."
Times Picayune

If he does play, is it limited snaps? IF I'm not mistaken Oakland has good corners-- what can we expect from Colsten?

PFT reporting he will play. http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/10/colston-will-play/

Saints receiver Marques Colston, who has missed several weeks after tearing a ligament in his thumb, will play on Sunday, a league source tells us.

Per the source, Colston will play in the three- and four-receiver formations for the Saints.

The 2-3 Saints are in last place in the NFC South, trailing the 4-1 Panthers and the 3-2 Bucs and Falcons.

The Saints host the Raiders on Sunday

Last edited by a moderator:
PFT reporting he will play. http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/10/colston-will-play/

Saints receiver Marques Colston, who has missed several weeks after tearing a ligament in his thumb, will play on Sunday, a league source tells us.

Per the source, Colston will play in the three- and four-receiver formations for the Saints.

The 2-3 Saints are in last place in the NFC South, trailing the 4-1 Panthers and the 3-2 Bucs and Falcons.

In the Saints offense how many snaps does this translate to?

Alot!! I think he becomes the Shockey target for this week in that offense, maybe 5 or 6 catches, but shorter routes...

I wonder how the Raiders will play him? if the corners stay on the Saints 1,2 WR's, then Colsten has great matchups...

I don't know what to do with him now for this week, but if he shakes the rust off this week , he's a big time producer the rest of the way!

In the Saints offense how many snaps does this translate to?
Almost all of them.

If he does play, is it limited snaps? IF I'm not mistaken Oakland has good corners-- what can we expect from Colsten?
Oakland's secondary is very talented (12th in fewest points allowed to the WR position) but they got carved up by Cutler and Royal in week one. I think Colston gets 5/60 with a chance for a red zone TD.

I know you won't care, but I think I'll sit him one more week in favor of Chad Johnson. A good pass amtchup for the Bengals coupled with less than 100% Colston I will be cautious. If it was anyone else (not that 85 is very good right now) I would likely start him.

Anyway, what percentage of snaps do the Saints run the type of formations we will see Colston in? 30, 40, 50%?

I think you have to temper the enthusiasm for this week because he probably isn't in the greatest condition to play a lot of snaps. But if you have been hammered by WR injuries like I have in some leagues (example, Colston, Curtis, Galloway in a league), then you jump for joy at any positive news. I really don't expect much, but in certain situations, he may be a viable start even if he has limited snaps because of his red zone prowess. Just know that there is plenty of risk.
I think this is the right call. I'm as desperate as anyone to see Colston back in action, but I think Colston's performance will be limited. I don't care how much he's been conditioning himself, you can't just come back from sitting out of games for 4 or 5 weeks without having to knock some rust off -- assuming that you aren't also working through any lingering remnants of the injury itself.Not saying the Saints will just use him out there as a decoy (although that's possible) -- just that if you are starting him, you would be wise to temper you enthusiasm.
If he had an injury to his legs or back I would agree but with a hand injury there will be no rust to knock off unless he forgot how to use those great hands he has.
To my knowledge, outside of this week, Colston has not participated in on-filed practices. Running on treadmills and riding stationary bikes doesn't equate to taking part in live field practices and the rigors of preparing for, playing in , and recovering from game days.Not saying that Colston isn't an elite enough of an athlete to overcome this, nor am I saying that the type of injury he had would adversely affect him coming back quickly and contributing right away. I am saying that given that he likely hasn't taken part in full-contact practive and games, there is a greater probability that he doesn't come back seamlessly right away after being out for 4-5 weeks. Temper enthusiasm accordingly.

10/10/08 10:13:25am Pacific

NFL: Game 203-204

Injury

Status

New Orleans

WR

Marques Colston

thumb

Probable

is upgraded to probable Sunday vs Oakland.

From PFT:

COLSTON WILL PLAY

Posted by Mike Florio on October 10, 2008, 11:22 a.m.

The Saints host the Raiders on Sunday.

From PFT:

COLSTON WILL PLAY

Post #56 11:51 A.M.

I think you have to temper the enthusiasm for this week because he probably isn't in the greatest condition to play a lot of snaps. But if you have been hammered by WR injuries like I have in some leagues (example, Colston, Curtis, Galloway in a league), then you jump for joy at any positive news. I really don't expect much, but in certain situations, he may be a viable start even if he has limited snaps because of his red zone prowess. Just know that there is plenty of risk.
I think this is the right call. I'm as desperate as anyone to see Colston back in action, but I think Colston's performance will be limited. I don't care how much he's been conditioning himself, you can't just come back from sitting out of games for 4 or 5 weeks without having to knock some rust off -- assuming that you aren't also working through any lingering remnants of the injury itself.Not saying the Saints will just use him out there as a decoy (although that's possible) -- just that if you are starting him, you would be wise to temper you enthusiasm.
If he had an injury to his legs or back I would agree but with a hand injury there will be no rust to knock off unless he forgot how to use those great hands he has.
To my knowledge, outside of this week, Colston has not participated in on-filed practices. Running on treadmills and riding stationary bikes doesn't equate to taking part in live field practices and the rigors of preparing for, playing in , and recovering from game days.Not saying that Colston isn't an elite enough of an athlete to overcome this, nor am I saying that the type of injury he had would adversely affect him coming back quickly and contributing right away. I am saying that given that he likely hasn't taken part in full-contact practive and games, there is a greater probability that he doesn't come back seamlessly right away after being out for 4-5 weeks. Temper enthusiasm accordingly.
More analysis paralysis from the debbie downer crowd.Who cares if he hasn't practiced before this week? By Sunday's game he will have participated in three practices this week. He's a professional football player who participated in OTAs and his team's training camp. A cast on his left arm didn't make him an amnesiac who needs time to learn anew the receiver position in the Saints offense. Um, Plaxico Burress anyone? The point Coachjim raises is a valid one. I'd be concerned about his ability to perform to expectations if he were returning from an injury to a weight-bearing joint, but his thumb won't prevent him from running his routes crisply or getting open on that textbook fade route in the end zone. He's catching passes and his own coach said he looks good. What more do you need to hear before you'll admit that he's good to go?

I see that Moore has moved down the rankings as Colston looks like he will play. I think Colston will help Moore. No? Thoughts?

I see that Moore has moved down the rankings as Colston looks like he will play. I think Colston will help Moore. No? Thoughts?
What I like about NO's entire offense is that targets are awarded based on playmaking ability.Eventually, targets will settle toColston 11Bush 7Shockey 6Moore 5Meachem/Henderson 332 pass attempts sounds about right...ETA: Patten is the odd-man out, having been outplayed by Moore.

More analysis paralysis from the debbie downer crowd.Who cares if he hasn't practiced before this week? By Sunday's game he will have participated in three practices this week. He's a professional football player who participated in OTAs and his team's training camp. A cast on his left arm didn't make him an amnesiac who needs time to learn anew the receiver position in the Saints offense. Um, Plaxico Burress anyone? The point Coachjim raises is a valid one. I'd be concerned about his ability to perform to expectations if he were returning from an injury to a weight-bearing joint, but his thumb won't prevent him from running his routes crisply or getting open on that textbook fade route in the end zone. He's catching passes and his own coach said he looks good. What more do you need to hear before you'll admit that he's good to go?
Training camp was months ago. Are you saying your conditioning is 100% the same if you participated in OTAs and training camps and sat out the first 5 games as you would if you had played and practiced the entire time?If he was back to full speed entirely, why do you suppose that he will only be used in 3 and 4 receiver sets, as opposed to being on the field every down? If you want to project him for 9 cathces and 100+ yards, go ahead. All I am saying is that coming back the game from injury, it's more apt to see the team ease him back to avoid risk of immediate reinjury, and to get him back to full game speed.Everything we've seen so far is seemingly confirming this viewpoint. This isn't Debby Downerism, it's realism.

He was out because problems with his thumb. His legs are alright and I'm guessing the rest of his arms are okay as well. He is currently listed as probable. I'm not going to say wait this week and play him next week because he is that talented a receiver and you have to put him in if he plays.

Training camp was months ago. Are you saying your conditioning is 100% the same if you participated in OTAs and training camps and sat out the first 5 games as you would if you had played and practiced the entire time?If he was back to full speed entirely, why do you suppose that he will only be used in 3 and 4 receiver sets, as opposed to being on the field every down? If you want to project him for 9 cathces and 100+ yards, go ahead. All I am saying is that coming back the game from injury, it's more apt to see the team ease him back to avoid risk of immediate reinjury, and to get him back to full game speed.Everything we've seen so far is seemingly confirming this viewpoint. This isn't Debby Downerism, it's realism.
No it isn't. The Debbie Downers have been wrong about Colston's recovery process all along. In fact, I'm the one who's been most real about it because, to my knowledge, I'm the only one who actually bothered looking up examples of players with the same injury. I'm the one who posted his quote where he basically said he'd be back as soon as the cast came off. While you pessimists were running around telling everyone that he'd most likely be out until the bye, there were a few of us who told you to revisit the stated timetable and do the math. The guy got hurt in the first week and was told he'd be back in four-to-six, but according to most of you it was almost impossible for him to come back before week 10. When I challenged this notion by pointing out the real-world examples otherwise and asked for examples of players with the same injury who were out beyond the initial timetable, I heard crickets. I'll say it again: Anthony Gonzalez in 2007. David Givens in 2006.Reality: Colston's recovery is not exceptional, it's quite ordinary.

No it isn't. The Debbie Downers have been wrong about Colston's recovery process all along. In fact, I'm the one who's been most real about it because, to my knowledge, I'm the only one who actually bothered looking up examples of players with the same injury. I'm the one who posted his quote where he basically said he'd be back as soon as the cast came off. While you pessimists were running around telling everyone that he'd most likely be out until the bye, there were a few of us who told you to revisit the stated timetable and do the math. The guy got hurt in the first week and was told he'd be back in four-to-six, but according to most of you it was almost impossible for him to come back before week 10. When I challenged this notion by pointing out the real-world examples otherwise and asked for examples of players with the same injury who were out beyond the initial timetable, I heard crickets. I'll say it again: Anthony Gonzalez in 2007. David Givens in 2006.Reality: Colston's recovery is not exceptional, it's quite ordinary.
:mellow:

From PFT:

COLSTON WILL PLAY

Post #56 11:51 A.M.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txsa...t&type=lgns

From today's practice report:

"It actually feels a lot better than I expected it to this early on," said Colston, who had the cast removed from his surgically-repaired thumb late last week. "I really don't feel it out there and I'm catching the ball well. It really doesn't feel like I'm trying to catch the ball any different.

Colston practiced every day this week on a limited basis, but he participated in both individual and team drills and caught footballs at full game speed. He said the doctors are a little more concerned than he is about the possibility of suffering a setback, but he said he's antsy to get back on the field after missing the past four games.

Saints Coach Sean Payton stopped short of saying he will definitely be active for the game, but he said he has continued to be "encouraged" by what he's seen from Colston each day on the practice field.
LINK

Lobary said:
No it isn't. The Debbie Downers have been wrong about Colston's recovery process all along. In fact, I'm the one who's been most real about it because, to my knowledge, I'm the only one who actually bothered looking up examples of players with the same injury. I'm the one who posted his quote where he basically said he'd be back as soon as the cast came off. While you pessimists were running around telling everyone that he'd most likely be out until the bye, there were a few of us who told you to revisit the stated timetable and do the math. The guy got hurt in the first week and was told he'd be back in four-to-six, but according to most of you it was almost impossible for him to come back before week 10. When I challenged this notion by pointing out the real-world examples otherwise and asked for examples of players with the same injury who were out beyond the initial timetable, I heard crickets. I'll say it again: Anthony Gonzalez in 2007. David Givens in 2006.

Reality: Colston's recovery is not exceptional, it's quite ordinary.
I've neither naysayed his return schedule, nor said anything about it being impossible for him to return before week 10. You need to pick that bone with entirely someone else. Would rather you focus instead on what I did say: that it's more likely he comes back after sitting out for 5 weeks and has a mediocre game than a stellar one.

If you want to argue the success rate of people coming back after sitting out for 5 weeks and being phenomenal, we can cherry pick examples to death. Let's trot out other examples from this year where players coming back after sitting out due to injury were fairly mediocre:

Braylon Edwards -- 3 for 27

Jerry Porter -- 1 for 6

Reggie Williams -- 1 for 11

Javon Walker -- 2 for 18

Deion Branch -- 3 for 31

Donny Avery -- 3 for 24

Neither the two examples you're so proud of trotting out -- nor mine above -- don't really necessarily prove a thing.

What would is looking at how the entire subset of receivers did in their first game back after sitting out for 5 weeks. You seem to intimate that as a majority, they can step back in and perform as if they never left. I would argue that, regardless of their injury, it's more likely that their performance is mediocre on that next game back.

Don't have the data to show this. Neither do you. For now we're entitled to our informed logic, and our opinions. Proof will be in the pudding this weekend.

If Colston goes 10-100-1, fantastic -- as I said, I am more than happy to rejoice with you seeing as I am a Colston owner, and have zero impetus to be down on the fact that he returned on schedule.

I think it's more realistic that Colston goes something like 3 - 30, given both that the Saints will not want to risk reaggravating his injury first game back, and being limited to 3-4 receiver sets.

Again, Anthony Gonzalez had a dislocated thumb with a partial ligament tear last year and was told he'd miss 3-4 weeks. He didn't have live game action either during that time yet he came back three weeks later and caught six passes for a buck and change. Last week Bobby Engram caught 8 for 60, and he hadn't played since the preseason. Of course it's possible that Colston will have a pedestrian game, and I certainly am not predicting a double-digit catch, triple-digit yardage game. I do think he's a safe bet for 5-8 receptions and 50-75 yards. More importantly, however, he's a definite threat in the red zone as proven by his his red zone targets last year (second only to Randy Moss), even more so because of Shockey's absence.

I'll take my chances with Colston in the red zone with Drew Brees over most other WR3s.

ETA: The Saints offense is based on three and four receiver sets, so that's not really much of a limitation.

Again, Anthony Gonzalez had a dislocated thumb with a partial ligament tear last year and was told he'd miss 3-4 weeks. He didn't have live game action either during that time yet he came back three weeks later and caught six passes for a buck and change. Last week Bobby Engram caught 8 for 60, and he hadn't played since the preseason. Of course it's possible that Colston will have a pedestrian game, and I certainly am not predicting a double-digit catch, triple-digit yardage game. I do think he's a safe bet for 5-8 receptions and 50-75 yards. More importantly, however, he's a definite threat in the red zone as proven by his his red zone targets last year (second only to Randy Moss), even more so because of Shockey's absence.

I'll take my chances with Colston in the red zone with Drew Brees over most other WR3s.

ETA: The Saints offense is based on three and four receiver sets, so that's not really much of a limitation.
And again, single examples don't mean squat in context of my argument. Won't deny that Colston makes a terrific red zone threat, and I hope he gets that shot. What's more probable in my mind is that Moore, Henderson, and Miller -- who have done fairly well filling in for both Shockey and Colston -- obviate the need to rush Colston back right away on every throwing play, and everything that's come out of the Saints camp this week seem to intimate that as well.

At this point, with him not even certain that he will start, I think my comment about tempering expectations is more realistic than 8-75-1.

Colston's replacements have been unable to do what he's done for the Saints offense in the past--catch TDs in the red zone. The Saints have the best passing offense in the NFL and move the chains at will but they're average at converting those chances into touchdowns. Henderson is garbage. Moore's been decent, but he's really only had one big game. Colston's presence gives their red zone offense an immediate boost. They're in last place in the NFC South, two games behind the Bucs, so they need wins now. Colston improves their chances.

Guess that Colston is no Anthony Gonzalez, eh? :thumbup:Forget about the fact that Colston's thumb looked to have contributed to his dropped passes, but Brees and Colston looked pretty out of synch. You can practice at full speed all you want, but after a player is out for a good amount of time, there is always the risk of needing to get right back into the speed of the game and the rythym of the offense.

Users who are viewing this thread