What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colts seriously considering RG3 (1 Viewer)

Who would have that that in 2012, RG3 in Washington, would be in a much better situation than Luck in Indy?
Why is it much better?
Washington has more tools for a rookie QB than Indy does.
not really
Starting offensive skill positions in Washington:WR: Garcon, Moss, Morgan, Armstrong

TE: Davis, Cooley

RB: Helu, Royster

For 2012 I think Washington looks a lot better. Going forward Indy is in a better position to build around a young QB since Washington has no 1st round pick until 2015

Indy:

WR: Wayne, Avery, Collie

TE: Eldridge, Mahaffey

RB: Brown, Carter
Thats kindof where my logic is. The Colts can build the Skins just have to get free agents or get really lucky in the draft.

Who would have that that in 2012, RG3 in Washington, would be in a much better situation than Luck in Indy?
Why is it much better?
not really
Starting offensive skill positions in Washington:WR: Garcon, Moss, Morgan, Armstrong

For 2012 I think Washington looks a lot better. Going forward Indy is in a better position to build around a young QB since Washington has no 1st round pick until 2015

Indy:

Thats kindof where my logic is. The Colts can build the Skins just have to get free agents or get really lucky in the draft.
So because the colts have 2 more draft picks in the next 2 years, they can build through the draft in the redskins can't? Also, last time I checked the colts might want to spend a few of thoses picks on their defense. Its not just gonna be all new toys for Andrew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colts have a worse team than they did last year when they were the worst team in the league. They let both of their starting tightends, one of their starting WRs, and several defensive starters walk in free agency.

Sure they have more draft picks the next two years (although Allen/Shanahan have been good at acquiring additional picks, so I'm not sure that will continue to be the case), but their defense is awful and Luck really won't have much to work with on offense.

The Redskins on the other hand have a solid defense and can afford to use their picks to improve. They will surely continue to be big players in free agency in those years as well, where the Colts likely will not.

You also have to factor in fan appreciation. Redskins fans will adore whoever is selected. That QB will be the savior and will get a lot of chances. The Colts fans are used to having a stud QB, and won't appreciate a rookie the same way. They will also probably be harder on him if he struggles early. How much that will effect these guys remains to be seen.

Why is it much better?
not really

Indy:

Rizzler's original post was in reference to 2012.

Colts have a worse team than they did last year when they were the worst team in the league. They let both of their starting tightends, one of their starting WRs, and several defensive starters walk in free agency.Sure they have more draft picks the next two years (although Allen/Shanahan have been good at acquiring additional picks, so I'm not sure that will continue to be the case), but their defense is awful and Luck really won't have much to work with on offense. The Redskins on the other hand have a solid defense and can afford to use their picks to improve. They will surely continue to be big players in free agency in those years as well, where the Colts likely will not.You also have to factor in fan appreciation. Redskins fans will adore whoever is selected. That QB will be the savior and will get a lot of chances. The Colts fans are used to having a stud QB, and won't appreciate a rookie the same way. They will also probably be harder on him if he struggles early. How much that will effect these guys remains to be seen.
Something you are ignoring is that the Colts have been a class organization. They have been a winning organization. The Redskins have been a train wreck. In the last ten years the Redskins have had a winning record and been to the playoffs twice. The Colts have been in the playoffs nine of the last ten years. Peyton Manning is obviously a major factor in their success. But I also think that the Colts are a solid organization. The personnel situation may favor the Redskins right now, but the track record would lead you to believe that in three years the Colts will be much better than the Redskins.

Colts have a worse team than they did last year when they were the worst team in the league. They let both of their starting tightends, one of their starting WRs, and several defensive starters walk in free agency.Sure they have more draft picks the next two years (although Allen/Shanahan have been good at acquiring additional picks, so I'm not sure that will continue to be the case), but their defense is awful and Luck really won't have much to work with on offense. The Redskins on the other hand have a solid defense and can afford to use their picks to improve. They will surely continue to be big players in free agency in those years as well, where the Colts likely will not.You also have to factor in fan appreciation. Redskins fans will adore whoever is selected. That QB will be the savior and will get a lot of chances. The Colts fans are used to having a stud QB, and won't appreciate a rookie the same way. They will also probably be harder on him if he struggles early. How much that will effect these guys remains to be seen.
Something you are ignoring is that the Colts have been a class organization. They have been a winning organization. The Redskins have been a train wreck. In the last ten years the Redskins have had a winning record and been to the playoffs twice. The Colts have been in the playoffs nine of the last ten years. Peyton Manning is obviously a major factor in their success. But I also think that the Colts are a solid organization. The personnel situation may favor the Redskins right now, but the track record would lead you to believe that in three years the Colts will be much better than the Redskins.
Any one with any class is no longer part of the Colts organization.

The Colts will finish with a worse record this season, than they did last season.

Every team in the NFL will be able to say "at least we aren't the Colts"...

This, from a guy who spent a few years rooting for the Colts and his boy Manning.

Why is it much better?
not really

Indy:

Rizzler's original post was in reference to 2012.
oops my bad. If he is talking fantasy perspective he is probably right but I doubt I would be comfortable starting either on a fantasy team.

Why is it much better?
not really

Indy:

So because the colts have 2 more draft picks in the next 2 years, they can build through the draft in the redskins can't? Also, last time I checked the colts might want to spend a few of thoses picks on their defense. Its not just gonna be all new toys for Andrew.
Yes, those 2 picks will make a world of difference. Losing 2 firsts is huge if you are not savvy enough to blunt the loss with great drafting later in the draft. It set the Panthers back years when we got Gilbert Brown and gave 2 firsts to the Skins of all teams. The Skins front office hasnt really the definition of stable the last few years.

Why is it much better?
not really

Indy:

Yes, those 2 picks will make a world of difference. Losing 2 firsts is huge if you are not savvy enough to blunt the loss with great drafting later in the draft. It set the Panthers back years when we got Gilbert Brown and gave 2 firsts to the Skins of all teams. The Skins front office hasnt really the definition of stable the last few years.
The redskins front office isn't the definition of stable but the colts is? Didn't Irsay just fire everyone like a month ago?

Why is it much better?
not really

Indy:

The redskins front office isn't the definition of stable but the colts is? Didn't Irsay just fire everyone like a month ago?
Irsay comes across like he knows what he is doing. Synder not so much. Past history indicate my theory is more valid.

Why is it much better?
not really

Indy:

Irsay comes across like he knows what he is doing. Synder not so much. Past history indicate my theory is more valid.
Bill Polian has proven he knows what he was doing, not Irsay.

Oh, so maybe the colts aren't the more stable organization but you have faith in Irsay? You're talking about the owner that was trolling his own fans about signing Brett Favre on twitter last year? Maybe it's just me but I think the success of his organization had more to do with #18.

If I were RGIII, I'd rather go to the Redskins and it's not even close.

This "Colts are a great and classy organization" stuff is silly. I'm not saying they aren't, but it seems overblown and largely a product of having one of the 3 greatest QBs in NFL history for 14 years, along with a great GM.

I'll disregard the current talent because we have no idea how these teams will draft and the NFL is such a QB-driven league that the success of these teams will rest on the young QB's shoulder over the long-term anyway.

Everything favors the Redskins.

I can't imagine how exciting it would be to get a chance to be a star QB for the Redskins. It's an insanely passionate fanbase. Bringing this franchise back to glory would be a fun ride.

BTW, which flawed owner would you rather play for? The who's biggest fault is that he spends money like a drunken sailor or the one with loose lips on Twitter?

If I were RGIII, I'd rather go to the Redskins and it's not even close.This "Colts are a great and classy organization" stuff is silly. I'm not saying they aren't, but it seems overblown and largely a product of having one of the 3 greatest QBs in NFL history for 14 years, along with a great GM. I'll disregard the current talent because we have no idea how these teams will draft and the NFL is such a QB-driven league that the success of these teams will rest on the young QB's shoulder over the long-term anyway.Everything favors the Redskins.I can't imagine how exciting it would be to get a chance to be a star QB for the Redskins. It's an insanely passionate fanbase. Bringing this franchise back to glory would be a fun ride.
:goodposting:
BTW, which flawed owner would you rather play for? The one whose biggest fault is that he spends money like a drunken sailor or the one who tweets like one?
Fixed :thumbup:

Why is it much better?
WayneCollie

Avery

White

likely draft a TE - perhaps Fleener

Brown/Carter

OC - Bruce Arians

Garcon

Hankerson

Morgan

Moss (likely released)

Davis

Helu/Royster

OC - Shanahans

I'd give a slight edge to Washington but honeslty it's fairly close to being a toss up

Why is it much better?
not really

Indy:

Moss is very likely to be released.You really think that's MUCH better? The draft picks make a big difference as well.

Why is it much better?
not really

Indy:

Moss is very likely to be released.You really think that's MUCH better? The draft picks make a big difference as well.
The colts pass catchers are ALL junkheap scrap outside of Wayne and he's 48.

Why is it much better?
not really

Indy:

Collie is very talented (and outperformed Garcon when Manning was healthy) and survived last season - and it's not like Washington is loaded for bear at the WR position. I traded for Garcon a week or two ago so I like him fine - but he's been inconsistent throughout his career. Morgan is average at best (Avery has put up better numbers during the same career time frame) and Hankerson is unproven - but could be a player. At TE Washington is in far better shape but the 2.01 pick could very likely be Colby Fleener in that case the gap would close a bit.

Washington homers are very passionate about their team. I'll give them that.

'Dr. Octopus said:
'Hang 10 said:
'Dr. Octopus said:
'thayman said:
'pantherclub said:
'thayman said:
Why is it much better?
not really

Indy:

Collie is very talented (and outperformed Garcon when Manning was healthy) and survived last season - and it's not like Washington is loaded for bear at the WR position. I traded for Garcon a week or two ago so I like him fine - but he's been inconsistent throughout his career. Morgan is average at best (Avery has put up better numbers during the same career time frame) and Hankerson is unproven - but could be a player. At TE Washington is in far better shape but the 2.01 pick could very likely be Colby Fleener in that case the gap would close a bit.

Washington homers are very passionate about their team. I'll give them that.
Collie is an average player with a pretty serious injury history. How many concussions has he had so far? Donnie Avery is on his 3rd team in 3 years. He's waiver wire fodder. I never said the Redskins were world beaters but the colts are picking #1 for a reason...they suck. Their roster is putrid.

Wow, people truly are trying to make a case that the Skins aren't in a lot better shape than the Colts?

is this due to Skin hate, Colt love, or just blindness?

we're talking about a 5-11 team last year with NO QB, in the toughest division in football, who made some pretty decent acquisitions this offseason.

Wow, people truly are trying to make a case that the Skins aren't in a lot better shape than the Colts? is this due to Skin hate, Colt love, or just blindness? we're talking about a 5-11 team last year with NO QB, in the toughest division in football, who made some pretty decent acquisitions this offseason.
You are underestimating the importance of the lost draft picks.

Wow, people truly are trying to make a case that the Skins aren't in a lot better shape than the Colts?

we're talking about a 5-11 team last year with NO QB, in the toughest division in football, who made some pretty decent acquisitions this offseason.
I'm not a Redskin hater, or a Colts fan and I like both rookie QBs very much. I am not blind either.So the Skins had three more wins than the Colts did? The Colts QBs were far worse than Rex Grossman. Grossman is a bone-head, but he actually has some skills.

The NFC East was not the best division in football. The division winner was 9-7 (and yes they went on to win the SuperBowl) and the rest of the division was mediocre. The NFC South, NFC North and AFC North were all much better. The AFC East and AFC South were close.

Are the Skins a better team than the Colts? Yes - I just dont think the gap is as big as you seem to think.

It's funny that you try to point to bias, yet the only ones I see arguing that the Skins are in a MUCH better situation than the Colts are the Skin fans and you a Griffin fan.

Collie is an average player with a pretty serious injury history. How many concussions has he had so far? Donnie Avery is on his 3rd team in 3 years. He's waiver wire fodder. I never said the Redskins were world beaters but the colts are picking #1 for a reason...they suck. Their roster is putrid.
The Redskins roster isn't exactly great either. Plus the lost draft picks. The lost cap space. I can see why people would think the Colts in in a better position going forward. But to say the Redskins are MUCH better, I don't see it.

The Redskins roster isn't exactly great either. Plus the lost draft picks. The lost cap space. I can see why people would think the Colts in in a better position going forward. But to say the Redskins are MUCH better, I don't see it.
Again, never said the Skins roster was great. It IS much better than the colts though. Name some good young players on the colts? I'm talking future probowl caliber talent on either side of the ball.Redskins:OrakpoKerriganGarconTrent WilliamsDavis.......Then you got a few guys like Helu, Hankerson and Royster that have shown flashes in their rookie seasons. Name some colts players that are comparable? It's going take more than TWO draft picks in the next two drafts to make up the talent gap between the colts and skins.

'cobalt_27 said:
'BigSteelThrill said:
Sounds like Leaf over Manning whispers.
Colts are not going to take RG3 no matter what. But, this comparison to the Leaf-Manning situation is ridiculous.
You don't recall the subtle whispers (just like this) that came out that the Colts were considering Leaf over Manning?

Wow, people truly are trying to make a case that the Skins aren't in a lot better shape than the Colts? is this due to Skin hate, Colt love, or just blindness? we're talking about a 5-11 team last year with NO QB, in the toughest division in football, who made some pretty decent acquisitions this offseason.
You are underestimating the importance of the lost draft picks.
Again the original discussion was about 2012. The only "lost" pick would be The Redskins 2.06. If you want to argue going forward that could be interesting since I The Colts will probably be drafting in the top 10 next year. The Redskins probably not.

Again, never said the Skins roster was great. It IS much better than the colts though. Name some good young players on the colts? I'm talking future probowl caliber talent on either side of the ball.Redskins:OrakpoKerriganGarconTrent WilliamsDavis.......Then you got a few guys like Helu, Hankerson and Royster that have shown flashes in their rookie seasons. Name some colts players that are comparable? It's going take more than TWO draft picks in the next two drafts to make up the talent gap between the colts and skins.
Jumping in late without reading everyone but you have a good point that I never truly grasped. The Colts roster is actually one of the least talented in the NFL. This makes what Manning did even more impressive IMO. A couple of 1st rounders will help but when you have nothing to begin with it will take more than that.

Jumping in late without reading everyone but you have a good point that I never truly grasped. The Colts roster is actually one of the least talented in the NFL. This makes what Manning did even more impressive IMO. A couple of 1st rounders will help but when you have nothing to begin with it will take more than that.
Manning had an in form Wayne, Collie, Garcon, Dallas Clark, jacob Tamme, Donald Brown and jo addai.that's hardly "nothing to begin with"Luck is playing with almost none of that.

Manning had an in form Wayne, Collie, Garcon, Dallas Clark, jacob Tamme, Donald Brown and jo addai.that's hardly "nothing to begin with"Luck is playing with almost none of that.
Wayne is a top talent. I would argue that the rest are more of a product of Peyton than anything else. But to each his own.

Wayne is a top talent. I would argue that the rest are more of a product of Peyton than anything else. But to each his own.
Reggie Wayne will be 34 this year and is coming off his worst season since 2003, not sure I'd consider him a top talent at this point.

'pollardsvision said:
If I were RGIII, I'd rather go to the Redskins and it's not even close.This "Colts are a great and classy organization" stuff is silly. I'm not saying they aren't, but it seems overblown and largely a product of having one of the 3 greatest QBs in NFL history for 14 years, along with a great GM. I'll disregard the current talent because we have no idea how these teams will draft and the NFL is such a QB-driven league that the success of these teams will rest on the young QB's shoulder over the long-term anyway.Everything favors the Redskins.I can't imagine how exciting it would be to get a chance to be a star QB for the Redskins. It's an insanely passionate fanbase. Bringing this franchise back to glory would be a fun ride. BTW, which flawed owner would you rather play for? The who's biggest fault is that he spends money like a drunken sailor or the one with loose lips on Twitter?
This is how I see it as well. I'm a Cowboy fan and I like what Washington is doing.

You really hurt any claim you have of being objective by claiming the NFC East was the best division in football this past season. It wasn't even close.I am a Colts fan and I am admittedly biased. The Colts were riddled with injuries this year - not just Manning. The Colts probably have one of the weakest rosters in the league but I don't see us being worse then we were a year ago

Who we lost

TE Dallas Clark - I believe he was leading the league in drops for at least part of the season. Dallas hasn't been the same since he suffered a serious injury a couple of seasons ago. I think he might be washed up. The fact that no one is jumping at the opportunity to sign him suggests his better days are behind him. Dallas wasn't productive last year so we're not losing anything by cutting him.

S Melvin Bullit - Solid safety but hasn't been healthy for a couple of years now. Like Bullit, he didn't help us last year.

RB Joseph Addai - Another guy who hasn't been able to stay healthy for a couple of seasons. Like Clark and Bullit, he didn't help us last year.

WR Pierre Garcon - A solid WR2 in the NFL and probably in the WR30 to WR40 range as far as real life NFL receivers go. He's a good stretch the field guy.

C Jeff Saturday - Still solid but he's old.

RT Ryan Diem - I'm not sure he was very good last year. He retired this offseason.

MLB Gary Brackett - Missed the entire season due to injury.

TE Jacob Tamme - Solid backup or emergency starter. He's nothing special.

Basically, aside from Garcon and Saturday, everyone we lost either was hurt last year or is a mediorce and easily replaceable player. We really didn't lose much talent that actually made a positive contribution to the team last year.

Colts who are talented and young

LT Anthony Castonzo - He was hurt for part of the season but was impressive when he was healthy.

CB Jarraud Powers - He was very impressive as a rookie but struggled with injuries in his sophomore season.

ILB Pat Angerer - Led the Colts in tackles last season and was overall quite impressive. He's a keeper for sure.

WR Austin Collie - Very good slot WR if he can stay healthy

Other young Colts who could become or are role players

RT/G Ben Ijalana - Another guy who was hurt last year but the Colts like him last year. He was our 2nd round pick in 2011

OLB (now ILB?) Kavell Conner - He played decently for the Colts last year. He's probably a lower end starter in this league but he is young so he could end up being more then that.

DT/3-4 DE Fili Moala - Another low end starter. He's not bad and not great.

DT/3-4 DE Drake Nevis - The Colts like him last year but he was hurt for most of the season. I'm not sure how the new regime feels about him.

RB Donald Brown - Decent RB though probably not the long term answer at RB for the Colts.

OLB/DE Jerry Hughes - He's probably a bust but he wouldn't be the first player ever that looked like a bust and then played much better in a different defensive scheme.

Returning Grizzled Veterans

WR Reggie Wayne, DE/OLB Robert Mathis, and DE/OLB Dwight Freeney

Free Agent Signings

3-4 DE Cory Redding and C Samson Satele

We're replacing Dan Orlovsky/Kerry Collins/Curtis Painter with Andrew Luck at QB. I don't see how this team doesn't win two to four games more next season. I see this team going 4-12 to 6-10 next year. That's bad but it's not as bad as people are suggesting we'll be in this thread. Andrew Luck is to good of a QB for this team to go 1-15 or 0-16.

I think the Redskins and Colts are pretty similar overall in terms of rebuilding, just that the Redskins are a year or two ahead in the game. So rather than spend the first two years of his career with a rebuilding team, he'll spend the last two with the team falling apart from salary cap problems. All in all, I think his years of good games will be pretty much the same.

Andrew Luck is to good of a QB for this team to go 1-15 or 0-16.
Temper your excitement. As good as Luck will be (and I think he has potential to be super great), be ok with the fact that he could very well go 1-15 next year and really struggle. Plenty of great QBs have followed this trajectory in the past. I hope Indy fans have some patience with the kid filling enormous shoes, but I fear they are going to devour him if he doesn't put up Manning-like numbers starting Day 1.Me and my fellow Cowboy fans recall very well the 1-15 season that kicked off Troy Aikman's HOF career. Even if the Colts don't show improvement this year, don't read too much into that. He very well may need a few years, like virtually every great QB, to get his sea legs under him.

You really hurt any claim you have of being objective by claiming the NFC East was the best division in football this past season. It wasn't even close.
I'm a Browns fan, man. the NFC East, IMO, is almost always the toughest division in football, regardless of records.

'thayman said:
'King of the Jungle said:
'rizzler said:
Manning had an in form Wayne, Collie, Garcon, Dallas Clark, jacob Tamme, Donald Brown and jo addai.that's hardly "nothing to begin with"

Luck is playing with almost none of that.
Reggie Wayne will be 34 this year and is coming off his worst season since 2003, not sure I'd consider him a top talent at this point.
Mistype - "Wayne was a top talent". I am trying to state that I think Peyton Manning had close to everything to do with the success of the offense than his surrounding talent. I think if you throw Collie/Garcon/Clark/Tamme/Brown/Addai on other squads they become marginal producers in comparison.

'thayman said:
'rizzler said:
Manning had an in form Wayne, Collie, Garcon, Dallas Clark, jacob Tamme, Donald Brown and jo addai.that's hardly "nothing to begin with"

Mistype - "Wayne was a top talent". I am trying to state that I think Peyton Manning had close to everything to do with the success of the offense than his surrounding talent. I think if you throw Collie/Garcon/Clark/Tamme/Brown/Addai on other squads they become marginal producers in comparison.
I'm interested to see how everyone plays without Manning as well. I'm highest on Garcon since his best season was last year without Manning.

I'm interested to see how everyone plays without Manning as well. I'm highest on Garcon since his best season was last year without Manning.
Manning was a great QB who obviously made the players around him better - but everyone acts as if the Colts found all of their skill players on a scrap heap and Manning turned them into gold.Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Addai and Brown were all FIRST round picks. Collie was a third round pick and Garcon was a fourth round pick. These guys aren't exactly cinderella stories - they were all very good collegiate players that became solid pros.

Users who are viewing this thread