What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Could McGahee challenge for starters job? (1 Viewer)

You're always the guy all over my case... and other people too when it's fashionable. Either you have a small D*** or you're very insecure about something else... acne? weight? plain ole ugly? It's a mystery as to which one it is. :nerd:
None of the aboveMaybe...it's got something to do with the content & quality of your posts :rolleyes:

Mularky was interviewed on ESPN radio (it was this morning but may have been taped from yesterday) and he stated that McGahee was still less than 100% and would be slowly given more reps during the beginning of the season (I believe he mentioned that he should be running full by week four). Henry is the man for the immediate future.

Mularky was interviewed on ESPN radio (it was this morning but may have been taped from yesterday) and he stated that McGahee was still less than 100% and would be slowly given more reps during the beginning of the season (I believe he mentioned that he should be running full by week four). Henry is the man for the immediate future.
I too have heard (John Clayton's camp report) that the Bills don't expect McGahee to be 100% until October.Colin

Agree 100% I think Henry will be balls-out early, but my fear is that as the season wears on, the situation may be dictated by the Bills' record. If they're 3-9 going into week 13, I have NO confidence that Henry will be the primary ballcarrier for my FF playoffs. Once eliminated from playoff contention, is it outlandish to think that Bills fans may begin clamoring for Losman/McGahee? I think it's very easy to see the offense potentially going into a state of flux as the Bills begin to groom their stars of the future and plan to unload Bledsoe and Henry during the offseason. That's why I would not feel comfortable with Henry as my RB2 without the McGahee handcuff, and the more the hype machine on Willis rolls on, the higher pick it's going to take to get him. If I have to spend a 2nd and 5th or 6th on Henry and McGahee respectively...... I just feel those two picks could be used better looking elsewhere.Edited for spelling and clarity

Last edited by a moderator:
You're always the guy all over my case... and other people too when it's fashionable. Either you have a small D*** or you're very insecure about something else... acne? weight? plain ole ugly? It's a mystery as to which one it is. :nerd:
None of the aboveMaybe...it's got something to do with the content & quality of your posts :rolleyes:
If it truly is none of the above then you'll stay off my jock from now on and if you don't then it is one of the above. JJ calls it like he sees it. :boxing:

If they're 3-9 going into week 13, I have NO confidence that Henry will be the primary ballcarrier for my FF playoffs.
What makes you think Buffalo is destined as 3-9? I see them as an improved team this year and I don't believe their record will be any worse than .500 and I actually think they will get more than that.Flawed reasoning..if that's what you are basing your hopes for McGahee on..keep dreaming.

I changed the topic title.Keep it civil. Attack the topic, not the person.
As I said, the direction that was heading went over like a fart in church.Shick apparently is the message-board equivalent of someone opening the door and letting a breeze blow that air biscuit out into the ozone.......

If they're 3-9 going into week 13, I have NO confidence that Henry will be the primary ballcarrier for my FF playoffs.
What makes you think Buffalo is destined as 3-9? I see them as an improved team this year and I don't believe their record will be any worse than .500 and I actually think they will get more than that.Flawed reasoning..if that's what you are basing your hopes for McGahee on..keep dreaming.
Where did I say they were destined to go 3-9? I said IF they were 3-9 (or really out of playoff contention at all - the record chosen was arbitrary) going into any of weeks 14, 15, 16... they could very easily shift gears and go with the new blood. Do you really find that possibility that preposterous? The risk involved there is too great for me to use two of my top 5 picks on one spot... there are plenty of other backs available who, if healthy, are more likely to remain the featured back even if their teams are out of the running...

The only thing remotely close to this is the McAllister/Williams situation a few years ago. McAllister never got his shot until Williams was gone.
To be clear, I do not expect McGahee to win the job any time soon, BUT:1) In terms of general perception of talent, McGahee is similar to McAllister, but Henry is NOT similar to Ricky Williams. I'm not saying that perception is accurate, but I think most people, including the Buffalo front office, considers Henry to be less than a future HOF'er, and many people considered Ricky as such.2) I think Buffalo would like to get rid of Henry next year via trade, but I'm not sure how they can possibly do so without seeing if McGahee can hold up over a few consecutive games as the full time back.

Regardless of the Bills record I still think they'll ease McGahee in giving him more opps as the season goes on. For this year though, Henry is the man at RB you want to have.Now if you're in a Dynasty League and you've got both these guys, I think you're sitting pretty for next year. In all likelihood you'll have two starting RB's in 2005.For this year only, if you have both, you've handcuffed McGahee in case of injury to Henry. But remember, Henry is to RB's, as Favre is to QB's. Dude played on a leg fracture and still posted solid #'s. :eek:

But remember, Henry is to RB's, as Favre is to QB's. Dude played on a leg fracture and still posted solid #'s. :eek:
I don't think I'd ever conceive of comparing Henry to Favre in my wildest dreams. If we had to compare then I'd say Terrell Davis playing in the super bowl with a horrible flu and winning the MVP.

But remember, Henry is to RB's, as Favre is to QB's. Dude played on a leg fracture and still posted solid #'s. :eek:
I don't think I'd ever conceive of comparing Henry to Favre in my wildest dreams. If we had to compare then I'd say Terrell Davis playing in the super bowl with a horrible flu and winning the MVP.
Hmmmm....playing with the fluor playing on a broken leg.To each his own I guess.

But remember, Henry is to RB's, as Favre is to QB's.
Please tell me your joking.Henry may be tough, but let's see him do it over 6-8 years before we start calling him an iron man.His "broken" leg was not a severe injury and wouldn't of held out most players.

Actually JJ bringing up Terrell Davis - vs - Travis Henry was a great comparison.

Each of these RB's suffered a lower leg fracture in their respective careers.

Between the two, only Henry was able to play through the injury and associated pain and play well at that.

Anyone who thinks a RB with a stress fracture to the lower leg can easily run on it, is simply not aware of how difficult that is to do. Then for a RB to not only run on that stress fracture but perform effectively, all the while torquing it with cuts and taking hits to it by defenders, that's one tough S.O.B.

Another RB that fits that mold was Emmitt Smith. In his hey day Emmitt was a true warrior as well.

I don't think the Bills drafted McGahee to sit on the bench.McGahee was graded out as one of the most talented backs in college - right up there with LTII.20 Months removed from injury.Let's be honest...is Henry really as talented as McGahee? I reside in the "No" camp, firmly.And I contend that McGahee will be the feature back on this team in 2004.
Show me one instance where a healthy back with Henry's on field pedigree was displaced while still on the roster? Maybe this is an exception to the rule, but history isn't in McGahee's favor.
at least not till Buff is out of the playoff this year or 2005. Willis is the goods but just needs one more year to get that knee up too 100%, bigger stronger and faster and a #1 pick for Henry next year gets him in there fulltime. right now Henry is the better back, come next year this time that may not be the case. what I see is poeple blowing 6-7 rounds picks on Willis and dont theyeven have Henry, doing this could really blow your year and is a huge hunch play only at this point.

pointing out that Davis was a rookie with less than ideal size who was facing an uphill battle against Allen, Wells, Mack and Hollings.
None of whom could hold Henry's jock.

I don't think the Bills drafted McGahee to sit on the bench.McGahee was graded out as one of the most talented backs in college - right up there with LTII.20 Months removed from injury.Let's be honest...is Henry really as talented as McGahee?  I reside in the "No" camp, firmly.And I contend that McGahee will be the feature back on this team in 2004.
Show me one instance where a healthy back with Henry's on field pedigree was displaced while still on the roster? Maybe this is an exception to the rule, but history isn't in McGahee's favor.
at least not till Buff is out of the playoff this year or 2005. Willis is the goods but just needs one more year to get that knee up too 100%, bigger stronger and faster and a #1 pick for Henry next year gets him in there fulltime. right now Henry is the better back, come next year this time that may not be the case. what I see is poeple blowing 6-7 rounds picks on Willis and dont theyeven have Henry, doing this could really blow your year and is a huge hunch play only at this point.
You just hit the nail right on the head. The guys who will be drafting McGahee in rounds 6-7 on a hunch are the ones that will force you to burn a 5th/6th round pick to handcuff him to Henry. That destroys all the value you get by picking Henry up in Round 2, and will force me to steer clear of both.

I don't think the Bills drafted McGahee to sit on the bench.McGahee was graded out as one of the most talented backs in college - right up there with LTII.20 Months removed from injury.Let's be honest...is Henry really as talented as McGahee? I reside in the "No" camp, firmly.And I contend that McGahee will be the feature back on this team in 2004.
Hi. Have you ever heard of Priest Holmes? He used to play for Baltimore. He was displaced by Jamal Lewis.See ya!

You just hit the nail right on the head. The guys who will be drafting McGahee in rounds 6-7 on a hunch are the ones that will force you to burn a 5th/6th round pick to handcuff him to Henry. That destroys all the value you get by picking Henry up in Round 2, and will force me to steer clear of both.
That depends on what your projections show. If I think Henry is going to put 1600 yds and 12 TD's, then I think he has value there.

Completely random meaning that one month prior to the start of the season, I don't think any fantasy football experts, or football experts in general, would have told you that Brian Westbrook would be the most productive back in Philly, or that Dom Davis would take over the starting job and gain over 1,000 yards in Houston. Sure, there might have been a few people who said, "Hey this kid has some potential", but both of those cases were a complete surprise.
"Completely random"??? :loco:

Davis was drafted in one of my 12 team leagues last year (17 rounds). Just because you didn't think he had a chance doesn't mean everyone felt the same way.

I don't think the Bills drafted McGahee to sit on the bench.McGahee was graded out as one of the most talented backs in college - right up there with LTII.20 Months removed from injury.Let's be honest...is Henry really as talented as McGahee?  I reside in the "No" camp, firmly.And I contend that McGahee will be the feature back on this team in 2004.
Hi. Have you ever heard of Priest Holmes? He used to play for Baltimore. He was displaced by Jamal Lewis.See ya!
Priest Holmes never did anything in Baltimore that was close to what Henry has done in Buffalo. What Jason said was "with Henry's on field pedigree..." Holmes did not have that resume when he was replaced by Jamal Lewis. Using what he's done since going to KC to support your point is a case of hindsight being 20/20....

That depends on what your projections show. If I think Henry is going to put 1600 yds and 12 TD's, then I think he has value there.
I think Henry is fully capable of putting up 1,300-1,400 yds and 12 TDs, which would make him a great value in round 2. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in that spot without McGahee as a handcuff. Having to waste a 5th rounder to ensure I get McGahee ruins that value I got by drafting Henry in Rd. 2...

Completely random meaning that one month prior to the start of the season, I don't think any fantasy football experts, or football experts in general, would have told you that Brian Westbrook would be the most productive back in Philly, or that Dom Davis would take over the starting job and gain over 1,000 yards in Houston. Sure, there might have been a few people who said, "Hey this kid has some potential", but both of those cases were a complete surprise.
"Completely random"??? :loco:

Davis was drafted in one of my 12 team leagues last year (17 rounds). Just because you didn't think he had a chance doesn't mean everyone felt the same way.
Oh yeah, and I'm definitely sure when the guy took him, he said, "Yup, that's a 1,000 yard back I just picked up in the last round there."And just because he was drafted in one of your leagues last year doesn't mean that his success didn't come completely out of nowhere. It's easy to say right now that, "I could see it coming", but the reality is that very, very, very few people actually said anything of that sort prior to last season.

Priest Holmes never did anything in Baltimore that was close to what Henry has done in Buffalo. What Jason said was "with Henry's on field pedigree..." Holmes did not have that resume when he was replaced by Jamal Lewis. Using what he's done since going to KC to support your point is a case of hindsight being 20/20....
Sigh...Holmes Rookie Year:Games Started - 13Yards Rushed - 1008AVG - 4.3TD - 7Rec - 43Yards Rec - 260 Henry Rookie Year:Games Started - 13Yards Rushed - 729AVG - 3.4TD - 4Rec - 22Yards - 179Holmes showed more pedigree his rookie year than did Henry.The following year, Holmes got hurt (he was averaging 5.7 YPC when he did) and the year after, Lewis beat him out.Maybe you should turn to ESPN NFL before challenging me, big guy.

Holmes showed more pedigree his rookie year than did Henry.The following year, Holmes got hurt (he was averaging 5.7 YPC when he did) and the year after, Lewis beat him out.Maybe you should turn to ESPN NFL before challenging me, big guy.
I don't think the situations compare.I think to find a comparable situation you'd need to find a back that 2 years in a row rushed for over 1300+ yards and 10+ TDs and then was benched in favor of a first year RB.Priest may have had a decent rookie year, but that is no where near the accomplishments that Henry has in his 3 years so far.

And just because he was drafted in one of your leagues last year doesn't mean that his success didn't come completely out of nowhere. It's easy to say right now that, "I could see it coming", but the reality is that very, very, very few people actually said anything of that sort prior to last season.
Just because some people are afraid to think for themselves and follow everything the "exspurts" say, doesn't mean something that happened was due to "complete randomness".

I think Henry is fully capable of putting up 1,300-1,400 yds and 12 TDs, which would make him a great value in round 2. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in that spot without McGahee as a handcuff. Having to waste a 5th rounder to ensure I get McGahee ruins that value I got by drafting Henry in Rd. 2...
Well I usually don't handcuff, so I'm not worried about it.

Holmes showed more pedigree his rookie year than did Henry.The following year, Holmes got hurt (he was averaging 5.7 YPC when he did) and the year after, Lewis beat him out.Maybe you should turn to ESPN NFL before challenging me, big guy.
I don't think the situations compare.I think to find a comparable situation you'd need to find a back that 2 years in a row rushed for over 1300+ yards and 10+ TDs and then was benched in favor of a first year RB.Priest may have had a decent rookie year, but that is no where near the accomplishments that Henry has in his 3 years so far.
Christ, I love how Woods issues a challenge, I go out and give him an example and then people not named Woods come in and rewrite the challenge.Look - Holmes had a very good rookie year. Better than Henry. A LOT better. Then he got hurt (while having a solid season) and then he was replaced by a rookie with more talent.McGahee couldn't hit the field last year and nobody in Buffalo challenged Henry. Nobody was good enough.Henry and his electrifying 4.1 YPC fells the pressure of a more talented, better RB breathing down his neck and he doesn't like it.

And just because he was drafted in one of your leagues last year doesn't mean that his success didn't come completely out of nowhere. It's easy to say right now that, "I could see it coming", but the reality is that very, very, very few people actually said anything of that sort prior to last season.
Just because some people are afraid to think for themselves and follow everything the "exspurts" say, doesn't mean something that happened was due to "complete randomness".
Listen, you draft Dom Davis in a dynasty rookie draft hoping he'll become the starter in a few years, that's okay. To draft him last year in a redraft league and think that he'll win the starting job and run for 1,000 yards is a bit of a stretch to me. I'm sure it worked out great for a few folks, but probably didn't work out for a lot of folks who drafted a lot of other RBs who "could have been."

Christ, I love how Woods issues a challenge, I go out and give him an example and then people not named Woods come in and rewrite the challenge.Look - Holmes had a very good rookie year. Better than Henry. A LOT better. Then he got hurt (while having a solid season) and then he was replaced by a rookie with more talent.McGahee couldn't hit the field last year and nobody in Buffalo challenged Henry. Nobody was good enough.Henry and his electrifying 4.1 YPC fells the pressure of a more talented, better RB breathing down his neck and he doesn't like it.
...except Henry isn't hurt. Who knows what would have happened in Baltimore if Holmes had never been injured. They might have never selected Lewis and it might never have been an issue.COlin

...except Henry isn't hurt. Who knows what would have happened in Baltimore if Holmes had never been injured. They might have never selected Lewis and it might never have been an issue.COlin
and Holmes was NOT hurt when Lewis supplanted him in Baltimore.Look, Wood asked me to find a comparable situation and I did. Please don't tell me Holmes has no NFL pedigree. Please?And don't tell me Jamal Lewis took his job away because the Ravens were just too afraid of Holmes injury risk. He took his job away because the Ravens felt he was a better all around back.And now we know that Holmes is one of the best RBs in the history of the NFL.And this situation....is VERY close to what we have in Buffalo. Incumbent starter fearful of losing his job to a player overcoming ACL injuries because the team drafted them for the future, despite what the RB had done on the field.Henry isn't a bad back, it's just that McGahee is better. And Donahoe knows that. It's why he drafted him. He didn't draft him to sit on the bench.

To draft him last year in a redraft league and think that he'll win the starting job and run for 1,000 yards is a bit of a stretch to me.
Well I hope that randomness theory of yours works out for you this year.

And this situation....is VERY close to what we have in Buffalo.
:no: By the way, before you left chat you stated McGahee would be a top 5 back. Care to put $25 on that?

To draft him last year in a redraft league and think that he'll win the starting job and run for 1,000 yards is a bit of a stretch to me.
Okay shuke, then who's your pick for a guy who goes under the radar but performs like Dom Davis or Westbrook did last year? Certainly can't count Ron Dayne, William Green, Willis McGahee, etc., as they are all known commodities that are being drafted MUCH higher than Dom Davis was in fantasy drafts last year. I'm talking about a guy who's going undrafted in the vast majority of fantasy drafts right now. Who's it going to be, and are you going to actually spend a draft pick to get him on your roster right now?

And this situation....is VERY close to what we have in Buffalo.
:no: By the way, before you left chat you stated McGahee would be a top 5 back. Care to put $25 on that?
Explain to me how it is different.Also, what odds will you give me on this? For I can take any prop bet I want to Vegas and get odds.

Okay shuke, then who's your pick for a guy who goes under the radar but performs like Dom Davis or Westbrook did last year? Certainly can't count Ron Dayne, William Green, Willis McGahee, etc., as they are all known commodities that are being drafted MUCH higher than Dom Davis was in fantasy drafts last year. I'm talking about a guy who's going undrafted in the vast majority of fantasy drafts right now. Who's it going to be, and are you going to actually spend a draft pick to get him on your roster right now?
Justin Fargas and Josh Scobey, both in situations I would consider close to that of Davis's last year.But go ahead and use your randomness theory to pick names from a hat without looking at talent and possible opportunity. :thumbup:

Justin Fargas and Josh Scobey, both in situations I would consider close to that of Davis's last year.But go ahead and use your randomness theory to pick names from a hat without looking at talent and possible opportunity. :thumbup:
Nice try man, nice try.Average Draft Info on Antsports since 8/1/2004:

Justin Fargas - 44th RB taken at 9.10 in a 12-team league

Josh Scobey - 64th RB taken at 14.09 in a 12-team league

Neither of those guys are "off the radar" by any stretch of the imagination.

I changed the title, by my own volition noticed my error
I dont think this means what you think it means :rolleyes: If this were an investment board you would have already been identified as a pump and dump artist - you keep promoting McGahee and when people with different opinions come calling you occasionally resort to juvenile name calling.Why no love for Henry - did he do you wrong last year?

Sigh...Holmes Rookie Year:Games Started - 13Yards Rushed - 1008AVG - 4.3TD - 7Rec - 43Yards Rec - 260 Henry Rookie Year:Games Started - 13Yards Rushed - 729AVG - 3.4TD - 4Rec - 22Yards - 179Holmes showed more pedigree his rookie year than did Henry.The following year, Holmes got hurt (he was averaging 5.7 YPC when he did) and the year after, Lewis beat him out.Maybe you should turn to ESPN NFL before challenging me, big guy.
OK, big guy. I think you need to get your facts straight. First of all, in Holmes rookie year, he had exactly 0 carries for 0 yards. So I'd say Henry had a slightly better rookie year. In Holmes' SECOND season, he had 1008 yds and 7 TDs. Henry's second season he put up 1438 yds and 13 TDs. In Holmes' third season, he posted 506 yds and 1 TD in 9 games. Henry played 15 games and posted 1356 yds and 10 TDs. There's no comparison here. Don't twist and distort the stats to prove your own point and then gloss over whatever doesn't suit your argument. And definitely don't compound your mistake by telling me to check ESPN NFL before challenging you.... I just got these numbers from there. The ones that invalidate your point.

The Ricky Williams situation is close.Stud RB drafted by previous regime, but has "personal" issues and seems immature.New regime has no emotional ties to the guy, and seems enamored with the "stud" RB drafted a year or two later.Once newer guy proves he can handle the job as well as the previous guy, without the immaturity and personal issues, management ships off the established stud and hitches their wagon to the new guy.

The Ricky Williams situation is close.Stud RB drafted by previous regime, but has "personal" issues and seems immature.

New regime has no emotional ties to the guy, and seems enamored with the "stud" RB drafted a year or two later.

Once newer guy proves he can handle the job as well as the previous guy, without the immaturity and personal issues, management ships off the established stud and hitches their wagon to the new guy.
No, it's not really close. Look at what Wood wrote:
Show me one instance where a healthy back with Henry's on field pedigree was displaced while still on the roster?
It's that "while still on the roster" thing that's the problem. As of right now, it appears that the Bills have no plans on trading either Henry or McGahee this season. Therefore McGahee would have to displace Henry while Henry is "still on the roster" in order to be the starting RB in Buffalo.The Saints shipped Ricky out in order to hand over the starting job to Deuce McAllister, he didn't win the job when Ricky was still on the team.

Users who are viewing this thread