What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CPAguys, how do I offset my FF winnings? (1 Viewer)

pizzatyme

Footballguy
I won over $10K this year in FF and am thinking I can itemize the expenses it took to win this, no?

Here are some of the expenses involved:

Flight to Vegas

Hotel

Meals

Rental Car

Entry Fees

Am I correct in thinking this? What other items could I include?

Any other tips?

I know, I need to consult my accountant (disclaimer), but I'm trying to get prepared if this is possible.

Help?

FF winnings would be considered gambling winnings, meaning that unless you're considered a professional gambler (which I'm assuming you're not), the only thing you're going to be able to use to offset the winnings are gambling losses. You'd need to have a documented record of your losses during the year.

Also note that you can only deduct gambling losses if you itemize your deductions on Schedule A (real estate taxes, mortgage interest, charitable contributions, etc.). And you're also only able to deduct losses to the extent of winnings - meaning that if you lost $15k during the year but won $10k on FF, your net would be $0. You don't get any benefit for the additional $5k losses.

ETA - in case it was unclear, based on a very limited understanding of all of the facts, my first inclination is that none of those things you've listed are deductible.

ETA #2 - this is not official tax advice, consult an accountant, etc etc Circular 230 disclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you are receiving a w2g (or maybe 1098-misc) then the above advice is correct

My tax attorney told me one time I could potentially set up an LLC for fantasy sports, but seemed like more trouble than it's worth, especially since I didn't want to include any "off the books" leagues

Also you'll only need to provide documentation on losses if audited

FF winnings would be considered gambling winnings, meaning that unless you're considered a professional gambler (which I'm assuming you're not), the only thing you're going to be able to use to offset the winnings are gambling losses. You'd need to have a documented record of your losses during the year.

Also note that you can only deduct gambling losses if you itemize your deductions on Schedule A (real estate taxes, mortgage interest, charitable contributions, etc.). And you're also only able to deduct losses to the extent of winnings - meaning that if you lost $15k during the year but won $10k on FF, your net would be $0. You don't get any benefit for the additional $5k losses.

ETA - in case it was unclear, based on a very limited understanding of all of the facts, my first inclination is that none of those things you've listed are deductible.

ETA #2 - this is not official tax advice, consult an accountant, etc etc Circular 230 disclosure.
:goodposting:

Steve is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread