What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crowdsourcing - A list of useful things for how to best use the new forum? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hi Folks,

I'm glad it seems like the new board software is going well. I like it a lot.

But there is still a learning curve. I thought it might make sense to have a thread where people post the things they are doing/seeing that are helpful.

Like @fatguyinalittlecoat figuring out the select the text you want to quote and a "reply" button will popup. Or how to go to the latest post. Or things with mobile. That kind of thing.

Please post the real things you've found that you're finding useful. Then we can put together a short list of them in a post that stays pinned. Thanks.

1. Each month Joe chooses a charity.

2. When someone inevitably gets a "timeout" the offender can make a small donation to said charity to get out of the penalty box.

3. First offense, $1 so they understand the system. Second offense, $2. Third offense, $4. Fourth offense, $8..... and so on doubling with each offense. The political forum should come close to curing cancer before the next presidential election.

4. Moderators rule with an iron fist for world betterment. Offenders come across terribly whining because they were "forced" to donate $2 for cancer research. The absolute worst offenders either figure out this probably isn't the place for them or donate a boat load of $ to charity just for the privilege of being a terrible poster.

5. Everybody wins.

1st world problem I know...when I click a tread title and it takes me to the last unread post, I typically hit the browser back button and the thread was marked a read. The new board leaves the thread title bolded as if I haven't read the whole thread. Nothing to get excited about, just a difference I noticed.

1st world problem I know...when I click a tread title and it takes me to the last unread post, I typically hit the browser back button and the thread was marked a read. The new board leaves the thread title bolded as if I haven't read the whole thread. Nothing to get excited about, just a difference I noticed.
This user/avatar combo :laugh:

Still don't know what to click from the forum to the first unread post in a thread. If it exists, would someone kindly post that here? I'm sure it's posted somewhere but I've been looking and haven't seen it yet. Thanks!

Still don't know what to click from the forum to the first unread post in a thread. If it exists, would someone kindly post that here? I'm sure it's posted somewhere but I've been looking and haven't seen it yet. Thanks!
If you haven't read a forum since the move, it will all be "unread". That part just didn't port over. Once you've read the last post in the thread, the next time you visit, just click on the thread title. It will take you there.

1. Each month Joe chooses a charity.

2. When someone inevitably gets a "timeout" the offender can make a small donation to said charity to get out of the penalty box.

3. First offense, $1 so they understand the system. Second offense, $2. Third offense, $4. Fourth offense, $8..... and so on doubling with each offense. The political forum should come close to curing cancer before the next presidential election.

4. Moderators rule with an iron fist for world betterment. Offenders come across terribly whining because they were "forced" to donate $2 for cancer research. The absolute worst offenders either figure out this probably isn't the place for them or donate a boat load of $ to charity just for the privilege of being a terrible poster.

5. Everybody wins.

Thanks. Sounds fun but I can see this instantly turning into pay to play type of thing that people would understandably hate. For the most part, our warning system works pretty well. It's not hard to see who has no intention of being cool.

Agree would be nice if this feature was returned.

I still want a return of the the stars that tell me I've read a thread. Some sort of indicator would be nice.

Stars had noted that you'd posted in a thread. Now it's a mini version of your avatar that shows you've posted in a thread. :blackdot:

I still want a return of the the stars that tell me I've read a thread. Some sort of indicator would be nice.
The link to the thread is bold when there are posts you have not read... unbold if you are caught up.
But how does that differentiate threads that you don't read at all from threads with unread posts?
See Runkle's post, Mrs R

I need an answer for this that is likely just a Chrome issue...

When I'm typing out a post and in the middle of typing, I need to make an edit or add some more info, or whatever, after the a little pause to do so, I start typing again and the new paragraph I just created gets moved up a line on the page and it doesn't look like a new paragraph any longer. haha. I just paused and it happened again. It's removes the line of space between the line above and this run on sentence. LOL. Now happened 3 times typing this out.

Is there an option on mobile to edit a post? I dont see it

Yes. Under your posts on the left where it says report (opposite the quote and reply buttons)...look just to the right for 3 small dots. Click those and you can edit or delete your thread.

Also

Want to bookmark (in your browser) a page that only shows threads you've posted in (aka black dot index)?

Here ya go:

https://forums.footballguys.com/find-threads/contributed

Once youre there, on the mobile site at least, above the threads is a sliding row where you can also see all the posts you've started, your watched threads, and for some reason, threads that got zero responses. :shrug:

Is there an option on mobile to edit a post? I dont see it

Yes. Under your posts on the left where it says report (opposite the quote and reply buttons)...look just to the right for 3 small dots. Click those and you can edit or delete your thread.

Also

Want to bookmark (in your browser) a page that only shows threads you've posted in (aka black dot index)?

Here ya go:

https://forums.footballguys.com/find-threads/contributed

Once youre there, on the mobile site at least, above the threads is a sliding row where you can also see all the posts you've started, your watched threads, and for some reason, threads that got zero responses. :shrug:
Thanks

Is there a way to get to the last page of a thread without having to scroll all the way down to the end of the first page?

edit: I'm talking about the Android interface. The regular browser interface lets you click directly on the last page.

Is there a way to get to the last page of a thread without having to scroll all the way down to the end of the first page?

edit: I'm talking about the Android interface. The regular browser interface lets you click directly on the last page.

Safari on the iPhone is the same way -- no handy-dandy page-navigating thingamabob at the top of the page, only the bottom.

Something small:

In Xenforo, when you're at the bottom of text inside a quote box and you press ENTER, the cursor will leave the quote box and drop down below so you can add some non-quoted text.

Often that's a desirable feature. But sometimes you really do want to add text at the end of a quote inside a quote box. So how do you do it? By pressing ALT + ENTER -- for spreadsheet folks, it's exactly the same you do when creating a line break inside of an Excel field.

The new site seems to have fixed the problem that happened when the next new post was on the next page. Now, you don't lose your already typed stuff. I have no idea how to say that well, but if it happened to you, you'd understand.

While I do like a lot of the new system, i have to say that the nested quote window is horrible UX.

the window only shows the top most piece of information which is usually a username and you physically have to click to open the whole window to actually see the content that was actually replied to. Meanwhile the UN shown could be 5 or more responses back.

the content should be reversed so that the content directly replied to should be in the window so you can see it in relation to the response. if you wanted to see the conversation then opening the window to see the rest is useful. But it should be newest on top and the earlier comments below it.

is there anyway to reverse this?

While I do like a lot of the new system, i have to say that the nested quote window is horrible UX.

the window only shows the top most piece of information which is usually a username and you physically have to click to open the whole window to actually see the content that was actually replied to. Meanwhile the UN shown could be 5 or more responses back.

the content should be reversed so that the content directly replied to should be in the window so you can see it in relation to the response. if you wanted to see the conversation then opening the window to see the rest is useful. But it should be newest on top and the earlier comments below it.

is there anyway to reverse this?

Thanks. This is horrible.

Is there any way to disable notifications when a post of yours is an embedded quote of a post someone else is replying to? I want to be notified if someone responds to my posts, but not if they're responding to a post that quoted a previous post.

This is embarrassing because I feel like I maybe caused it & can’t figure out how to undo it…

Each day I do Wordle and post my results in our FFA thread. Since Wednesday I have not been able to find the thread. It’s not listed on page one or two of the FFA, abs when I search for “wordle” in thread titles, I get zero results.

I have to search my browser search history to find it. I suppose I could just bookmark it. But WITW - is there some way to hide a thread? Did I accidentally do something?

This is embarrassing because I feel like I maybe caused it & can’t figure out how to undo it…

Each day I do Wordle and post my results in our FFA thread. Since Wednesday I have not been able to find the thread. It’s not listed on page one or two of the FFA, abs when I search for “wordle” in thread titles, I get zero results.

I have to search my browser search history to find it. I suppose I could just bookmark it. But WITW - is there some way to hide a thread? Did I accidentally do something?

Search worked fine for me: https://postimg.cc/f3pmT2dg

I don't know how you could hide a thread unless you have blocked the author.

Users who are viewing this thread