What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

D Jackson's value when Curtis is back? (1 Viewer)

KingEl

Footballguy
Deshaun Jackson is obviously a playmaker, and has been the leading WR in Philly this year.. The Eagles seem intent on getting him the ball in a variety of ways.. Last night, it looked like Reggie Brown and Jackson were 1 and 1 a in the WR department, and Brown looked good. I don't think Brown goes to the bench instead of Jackson when Curtis comes back. Does Curtis move into Jackson's spot in the next couple of weeks? Does this become a 3 headed sword with one WR disappearing every week.. It doesn't seem like Phily uses the 3rd Wr that much, so there might be an odd man out..

Jackson's penchant for big plays will keep him on the field. Even if he doesn't see as many plays, having more playmakers (if you can call Reggie Brown that) on the field could/should open up more room for Jackson to bust big plays.

I don't anticipate Curtis will cut into Jackson's time on the field too much, but I do expect Jackson's targets to decrease some.

With the spread offense, Philly runs, what should we expect... similar to last night- consistent 5 or 6 catches-- every few games busts a nice one?

It was nice to see last night that the Eagles seem to be running plays specifically to get DeSean the ball...I doubt they would be changing their playbook to accommodate for him if they intended to phase him out in any way. Besides, as people always mention in these threads, Curtis and Brown aren't exactly elite wide receivers. Personally, I'm torn as to whether I should sell high on DeSean this week or not, but I have a feeling it might come back to haunt me.

I don't think you can expect his production to improve with Curtis in the game-plan. Rookies will be inconsistent, he will have his 7-100 games, but you will have to take the 3 for 20 games with them. Solid #3 WR...but Curtis isn't a slouch, and will take some production away from Jackson.

I saw Baskett and Lewis on the field a lot last night. Plenty of reps available for Dejax when Curtis gets back.

On another note, wow can Brown get open, but he drops a lot of catchable balls.

He will definitely start. The announcers commented last night about what Andy Reid thinks of Jackson, and it was all good.

Speed kills. He is their home run threat.

Curtis is likely to take away some targets and catches, but Jackson will still get his. Philly is going to be very danagerous offensively when Westy and Curtis return. McNabb should have huge numbers.

They don't target those 3 and 4 WR's much though.. If Jackson is lined up in hte Baskett,Lewis spots, he might only get 3 or 4 targets a game. The Philly targets go through the top 2 WR's IMO... Jackson's value as a big producer hinges on him being the 1st,2nd read, I think... Of course, maybe the guy just flat out earns multiple targets the way he's playing.

They don't target those 3 and 4 WR's much though.. If Jackson is lined up in hte Baskett,Lewis spots, he might only get 3 or 4 targets a game. The Philly targets go through the top 2 WR's IMO... Jackson's value as a big producer hinges on him being the 1st,2nd read, I think... Of course, maybe the guy just flat out earns multiple targets the way he's playing.
Agreed the WR1 and WR2 will get 15-16 targets per game, and the other 3 around 5-7 (e.g., a couple each per contest).I think DeSean stays number one and keeps getting 8-9 per start. Serious talent, much bigger threat than anyone Philly has lined up since T.O. got kicked to the curb.

Agreed the WR1 and WR2 will get 15-16 targets per game, and the other 3 around 5-7 (e.g., a couple each per contest).I think DeSean stays number one and keeps getting 8-9 per start. Serious talent, much bigger threat than anyone Philly has lined up since T.O. got kicked to the curb.
I agree. Jackson will be the main WR in this offense until he gets hurt. Philly stuck with him after the TD fiasco vs Dallas and the muffed punt yesterday and his numerous dropped passes, so he would really have to implode mentally to get benched or have his role diminished.

If Jackson remains the starter my question is will he start opposite Brown or Curtis. I'd contend Curtis was the team's best WR last season. If he's healthy, would Reid reduce him to the No. 3 role or would he start with Brown going to the third WR spot?

Last night there were two plays which showed why Desean is a receiver, unlike Hester: one was Desean's TD, where he got behind the defense, kept concentration on a ball that he had little vision of due to Urlacher's hands, caught it in stride and tapped his feet down one extra time for good measure. Hester had a play where he was wide open for what should have been a TD, the ball hit him in stride in both hands and he dropped it.

There was one more play where Desean really impressed me; it was a slant pattern that only went for 11 yards, but watching the tape, he set up the defender and then made a lightning-quick move to the inside that left the route wide open. He really runs amazing routes.

Desean is a real receiver and he should be successful in the NFL, despite his small size. But he's also a rookie and he's made some rookie mistakes. Last night the muffed punt looked pretty bad, and McNabb also thought Desean should have turned his route up instead of out on the interception. (Although it looked to me like Desean made the right read; if McNabb had thrown it deep outside Desean was wide open, and there was a safety in the middle of the field). Dropping the ball before he got into the end zone a couple weeks ago was also boneheaded. Those kinds of things might keep him out of the starting lineup once the nominal starters are back.

If Desean stays in the starting lineup, I think you can expect production similar to what we've been seeing. If he gets bumped from the starting lineup, they'll still try to get some plays for him, and he'll probably do better than the Philly WR3 has done in recent memory, but I don't think he'll be startable in fantasy leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread