What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daddy’s Daughters High School Graduation Gift Idea (1 Viewer)

STEADYMOBBIN 22

Footballguy
So my oldest is about to graduate HS and go off to college and it dawned in me that I’m running out of time for a nice gift.

She would appreciate anything but she doesn’t want or like anything other than clothes and shoes and saving money. Jewelry seems weird and impractical for someone going off to school.

What did you guys/gals do or plan to do?

Yea I think you have ur answer......money for shoes and clothes......my teenage daughter can never have too many of both.....girls like to have lots of options.

Or maybe a new laptop for school?

We got my daughter a phone. Not daddy/daughter specific but her phone was ~3 years old and a "mid tier phone" she would always say its fine etc etc etc so we surprised her with a new one.

She's not one to ask for much so I was more than happy to get her a new one.

Oh does dropping 2300 on a new engineering laptop for college count? :lol:

We got ours a few things, but I had one idea that I got from my dad. I got her a small tool bag and some basic tools. Hammer, ratchet screwdriver, crescent wrenches, etc. She still uses it in her apartment. Every young adult needs a few basic tools.
thats not a bad idea.... i found a small socket/screwdriver set in my garage i had no idea i had..... perfect to add to her stuff

Phone/tablet/laptops/smart watches are all great choices if there's a need there. If she's like my daughters, a Sephora gift card would get drained immediately; and they love Home Goods too. Maybe gift a year or two worth of online subscriptions, depending on her interests.

EDIT: I forgot, Jalen Hurts jersey.

We got ours a few things, but I had one idea that I got from my dad. I got her a small tool bag and some basic tools. Hammer, ratchet screwdriver, crescent wrenches, etc. She still uses it in her apartment. Every young adult needs a few basic tools.
I love this!

My wife is very handy and my daughter will be too! They need to be able to self sufficient

I love this!

My wife is very handy and my daughter will be too! They need to be able to self sufficient

Doesn’t everyone get this for their kids when they move out? My kid is moving to a dorm.

I love this!

Doesn’t everyone get this for their kids when they move out? My kid is moving to a dorm.
I don't think everyone does it.....especially these days

I love this!

I don't think everyone does it.....especially these days

:lmao: You're probably right.

I love this!

Food plan or no? Does the dorm have a kitchen area? What are the cooking rules?

I love this!

Yeah, somebody suggested a gift card to a nearby restaurant so she doesn’t have to eat cafeteria slop all the time.

I think they can have a microwave and a fridge. No real cooking.

Cash is the universal graduation gift. A crisp $100 bill tucked into a congrats card has never been shunned in the history of gift giving.

For your own kids though - I'd think a laptop is probably a perfect gift for a graduate who's about to head to college. If college isn't in the future, then see item above.

I love this!

Yeah, somebody suggested a gift card to a nearby restaurant so she doesn’t have to eat cafeteria slop all the time.

I think they can have a microwave and a fridge. No real cooking.
The reason I ask is that one of these might help her quite a bit.

When I graduated from high school my grandma came to me, gave me a big hug. “I’m so proud of you. You’re my first grandchild to get to go to college. What can I do for you? What can I give you before you go to college?”

“I said honestly, grandma, all I need from you is money”

My grandma said. “OK, I understand.”

So a couple of months ago, by the end of the summer, I’m packing up my dad’s car, getting ready to go to school. And my grandma walks up, and says “Here, before you leave, take this.” She handed me a brand new Bible — King James version.

I said, “Thanks, Grandma. That’s exactly what we talked about.”

I got in the car and I went off to school. A couple of weeks go by, I’m hanging out in my dorm room, having a good time. When the phone rings. It’s my grandma. “Hey grandson, just calling to see how college is going?”

“Grandma, college is the best! I’m having the time of my life, but to be honest, I’m already starting to run low on money, and I could use a little bit like we talked about.”

She said, “OK, Well, let me ask you this. Have you been reading your Bible?” And I said, “Totally, grandma, I’m on chapter 4.”

She said, “OK, well then I guess I’ll talk to you later,” and hung up the phone.

A couple of months go by now and I’m really starting to struggle financially. I’m going to have to drop out of school if I don’t get some money. So I call my grandma in a panic. I said, “Grandma, please! I’m having the time of my life in college. I love it here, but if I wanna graduate, and I do, I need you to send me some money like we talked about.”

“Well, grandson, let me ask you this. Have you been reading your Bible?” And I said, “Yes, Grandma, I wish it was longer!"

She said, “OK. Well, then I guess I’ll talk to you later.”

Finally, it’s the end of the school year. I’ve got straight A’s, but I’m dropping out of college because I have no more money left and I’m furious. I’m close to tears cleaning out my dorm room. When the phone rings. It’s my grandma. “I heard you’re dropping out of school today. How come?”

I said, “You know *** **** well how come, grandma! Because you wouldn’t give me any money!”

She said, “Well, let me ask you this. Did you read your Bible?” and I just hung up the phone. I was so ******.

I took everything out of that room. Last thing I took off the shelf. The last thing I took out of that room was that Bible my grandma gave me. Took it off the shelf. Held it in my hands and for the first time and I actually opened it up, and right there on the very first page in my grandmother’s handwriting...

It said, “**** you.”

When I graduated from high school my grandma came to me, gave me a big hug. “I’m so proud of you. You’re my first grandchild to get to go to college. What can I do for you? What can I give you before you go to college?”

“I said honestly, grandma, all I need from you is money”

My grandma said. “OK, I understand.”

So a couple of months ago, by the end of the summer, I’m packing up my dad’s car, getting ready to go to school. And my grandma walks up, and says “Here, before you leave, take this.” She handed me a brand new Bible — King James version.

I said, “Thanks, Grandma. That’s exactly what we talked about.”

I got in the car and I went off to school. A couple of weeks go by, I’m hanging out in my dorm room, having a good time. When the phone rings. It’s my grandma. “Hey grandson, just calling to see how college is going?”

“Grandma, college is the best! I’m having the time of my life, but to be honest, I’m already starting to run low on money, and I could use a little bit like we talked about.”

She said, “OK, Well, let me ask you this. Have you been reading your Bible?” And I said, “Totally, grandma, I’m on chapter 4.”

She said, “OK, well then I guess I’ll talk to you later,” and hung up the phone.

A couple of months go by now and I’m really starting to struggle financially. I’m going to have to drop out of school if I don’t get some money. So I call my grandma in a panic. I said, “Grandma, please! I’m having the time of my life in college. I love it here, but if I wanna graduate, and I do, I need you to send me some money like we talked about.”

“Well, grandson, let me ask you this. Have you been reading your Bible?” And I said, “Yes, Grandma, I wish it was longer!"

She said, “OK. Well, then I guess I’ll talk to you later.”

Finally, it’s the end of the school year. I’ve got straight A’s, but I’m dropping out of college because I have no more money left and I’m furious. I’m close to tears cleaning out my dorm room. When the phone rings. It’s my grandma. “I heard you’re dropping out of school today. How come?”

I said, “You know *** **** well how come, grandma! Because you wouldn’t give me any money!”

She said, “Well, let me ask you this. Did you read your Bible?” and I just hung up the phone. I was so ******.

I took everything out of that room. Last thing I took off the shelf. The last thing I took out of that room was that Bible my grandma gave me. Took it off the shelf. Held it in my hands and for the first time and I actually opened it up, and right there on the very first page in my grandmother’s handwriting...

It said, “**** you.”
Your grandmother was one grand mother.

Gift cards to local restaurants and DoorDash are great for college kids. I got my daughter a trip for the summer before she left. Concert tickets, Alexa or apple pod, Xbox/ps/switch, new tv, etc…. Cash is great but you are going to be sending her that anyway (as will anyone else they can hit up lol)

One of the small things I got my son is a pack of 4 AirTags, some cases and a wallet with an AirTag holder because he’s always misplacing his stuff.

My favorite graduation gift was a really nice set of luggage. I used that luggage for the next 20+ years and have just recently replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread