What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dallas backfield with Zeke on suspension...Is it McFadden or Morris? (1 Viewer)

in the San Fran game Smith got 8 carries to Morris' 2. Next game Morris got the only 3 backup carries. I'm not sure what that means, the SF game was a blowout, but it seems worth mentioning in the way of the point that he could get a share.

FWIW - I have read/heard just as much optimism about Rod Smith as I have the other two since last night.

Could be a total mess for a week or so... 60/40 Morris/Smith on 1st & 2nd down... McFadden on 3rd & passing situations? Who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking McFadden in ppr. I'm going with what I've seen in the past and he was the starter that fit the system. 

i see this being just like the Vikings backfield right now. 

I have no idea how this is gonna play out but I'm gonna bid on McFadden this week and not bid at all on Morris. Just feel as if McFadden should be the clear passing down RB and if he can add 8-10 carries on top of that (which shouldn't be hard to do) he should carry RB2 upside at least. 

I have no idea how this is gonna play out but I'm gonna bid on McFadden this week and not bid at all on Morris. Just feel as if McFadden should be the clear passing down RB and if he can add 8-10 carries on top of that (which shouldn't be hard to do) he should carry RB2 upside at least. 
Well Jerry said morris, so I would put all of my money on McFadden.

I've said Morris all along. I never believed in the theory they were saving McFadden because Garrett cleared that up before week 1 by essentially saying Morris beat him out. Mo will at least get the formal start (which is basically what Jerry said).

It'll come down to who performs better & my money is on Morris. He's looked rejuvenated this season.

I like Mo's chances to be the guy, but far from a lock.

Looking at their schedule I don't envision Dallas to be in favorable game scripts.  KC, @Atl, Phi, LAC, Wash, @NYG.  Against NYG yes but that's also a division game.  Zeke was the focal point of this offense.  Now it has to run through Dak.  DMC is the only one who I think is game script proof.  Morris is one dimensional and offers nothing in the passing game.  The Cowboys have averaged 30 opportunities to backs per game.  I see the break down like this...

Morris:  If favorable game script 13 - 18 carries per game with some red zone and goal line opportunities.

DMC:  Favorable or negative game script 8 - 11 carries per game and 4 - 6 targets per game with some red zone and goal line opportunities.

Losing Elliot is huge and some don't even realize it.  Dallas has been operating the same offense ever since he was drafted.  Their running game sets up the pass.  Now they have to lean on Dak.

From listening to the radio, he did not say who is the actual #1 RB. If you listen to the radio interview, it isnt what he said.

He said Morris will see more touches and so will Smith and McFadden and that he is happy with the three RBs he has on the roster. Morris has carried the ball just 13 times more than DMC this year.

I own Zeke, don't own either Morris or DMC and I'm not sure I care. Seems like it's going to be a mess.

If you had a chance at say, Ju Ju or A. Morris, who would you take??

Garrett talked about Morris improving in the passing game which was one reason he beat out McFadden. 

What that means on game day (when McFadden will now be active), I don't know.

I own Zeke, don't own either Morris or DMC and I'm not sure I care. Seems like it's going to be a mess.

If you had a chance at say, Ju Ju or A. Morris, who would you take??
In a similar position, but am considering taking a chance on Dede Westbrook over either Morris/DMC. And I’d rather have Juju over Dede. 

Unfortunately, I think this backfield is going to be an absolute mess. 

Morris destroys McFadden as a runner.

Cowboys gonna have a 100yd back, week in and week out, even without Zeke.

In a similar position, but am considering taking a chance on Dede Westbrook over either Morris/DMC. And I’d rather have Juju over Dede. 

Unfortunately, I think this backfield is going to be an absolute mess. 
I've got a pretty decent backfield (L. Bell, D. Martin, McKinnon, Henry, AA) and I'm considering bagging the whole Dallas backfield and going for JuJu instead of Alf. 

Just can see a weekly decision nightmare with the DAL backfield now.

Holding out hope last hail mary is complete for Zeke!

Obviously nobody outside of the organization knows the plan and it could change  based on performance of the three. But how does it make any sense whatsoever that the Cowboys would keep McFadden inactive if they thought he would be the workhorse if Elliott was suspended? This situation is pretty unique, but I have no idea what the footballyguys experts that are predicting McFadden are thinking.

Obviously nobody outside of the organization knows the plan and it could change  based on performance of the three. But how does it make any sense whatsoever that the Cowboys would keep McFadden inactive if they thought he would be the workhorse if Elliott was suspended? This situation is pretty unique, but I have no idea what the footballyguys experts that are predicting McFadden are thinking.
At the same time, though, McFadden is on a one year contract in his age-30 season.  Presumably, he plans to continue playing football (but this is an assumption I'm making).

Why would McFadden sign a contract with a team that would have him inactive for presumably all 16 games if Zeke was not suspended?  It doesn't make sense.  I know I'm trying to divine the tea leaves here, but it seems logical to deduce that McFadden re-signed with the Cowboys with the expectation he would be used.

At the same time, though, McFadden is on a one year contract in his age-30 season.  Presumably, he plans to continue playing football (but this is an assumption I'm making).

Why would McFadden sign a contract with a team that would have him inactive for presumably all 16 games if Zeke was not suspended?  It doesn't make sense.  I know I'm trying to divine the tea leaves here, but it seems logical to deduce that McFadden re-signed with the Cowboys with the expectation he would be used.
Perhaps, but the Dallas coaches said, at the end of the preseason, that Morris earned the backup job.  So, while DMC may have signed with that expectation, perhaps being outplayed by another player made the coaching staff demote him (which they said he took well), despite his expectations.

There's a lot of talk going on that Dallas was saving McFadden for the inevitable occurrence of the suspension. This is probably true, but not in the sense that some are conveying. Players don't go from zero game action to a prominent role in an offense that relies so heavily on said position. IMO, it's without a doubt Morris until he proves so ineffective that they must ultimately turn to someone else full time.

That's probably not going to happen. Morris is a very good north/south runner especially when the holes are there and that's the Dallas line's specialty. Open hole, see hole, go. It's the reason Dallas added him to an already crowded backfield. They saw him twice a year and realized he's a great insurance policy in their scheme.

Good post.  Ended up grabbing Morris so have both now.  Need to start one.  So hope Morris is the man this week at least.

So many people are going to get burned by Roto. Here is the exact transcript for those who just bought what the blurb said instead of doing your research...
Jerry Jones absolutely did not say Morris would be the starter and he made a point to debunk the notion.

Here is the actual statement in regard to the question.

Radio Guy::: Would you guys just promote Alfred Morris as the starter, or mix it up with he and McFadden?
Jones::: Yeah, its not that simple. But uh, certainly he'll get more carries and uh, McFadden should be a big part of this thing, and like I said Rod Smith will be a big part of it too.

So, I am calling out Roto and all those who bought their blurb and call on those who buy blurbs to recuse yourself from ever posting again as you failed the most important rule, you trusted peopel without doing a fact check, as you literally drove a narrative that was not even spoken but was pushed by Roto.

Here is the link to the pod cast and the question is at 14:25.
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/audio/shan-and-rj/

All I remember and know is, Jerry love DMC and the rumors are all over Cowboys forums that they kept DMC on ice for just this reason. While those are rumors, some of those guys are really plugged in, more so than some beat writers.

Interesting takes all around. Morris hasn't looked bad when he spells Elliott, probably gets first man up duties and it's a RBBC. 

Interesting takes all around. Morris hasn't looked bad when he spells Elliott, probably gets first man up duties and it's a RBBC. 
Seems simple enough.  DMC should probably get a decent amount of work.  Guessing around 35% of the touches. 

So many people are going to get burned by Roto. Here is the exact transcript for those who just bought what the blurb said instead of doing your research...
Jerry Jones absolutely did not say Morris would be the starter and he made a point to debunk the notion.

Here is the actual statement in regard to the question.

Radio Guy::: Would you guys just promote Alfred Morris as the starter, or mix it up with he and McFadden?
Jones::: Yeah, its not that simple. But uh, certainly he'll get more carries and uh, McFadden should be a big part of this thing, and like I said Rod Smith will be a big part of it too.

So, I am calling out Roto and all those who bought their blurb and call on those who buy blurbs to recuse yourself from ever posting again as you failed the most important rule, you trusted peopel without doing a fact check, as you literally drove a narrative that was not even spoken but was pushed by Roto.

Here is the link to the pod cast and the question is at 14:25.
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/audio/shan-and-rj/

All I remember and know is, Jerry love DMC and the rumors are all over Cowboys forums that they kept DMC on ice for just this reason. While those are rumors, some of those guys are really plugged in, more so than some beat writers.
This is what RW actually linked:

Jon Machota‏Verified account @jonmachota

Jerry Jones on @1053thefan said Alfred Morris will get more carries but Darren McFadden and Rod Smith will get more work too

6:45 AM - 31 Oct 2017
- I don't think it's unfair to say that this means JJ is saying Morris will be the "no. 1" RB. I think FF people know that teams' RB1's can come in all variations with a variety of risks. It remains to be seen if Morris gets 66% of the share or 51% or what. Even if Morris is the starter I do think Dallas will give McFadden a respectful role, something like being the RB in on at least 1/3rd of the drives plus maybe some 3rd down work. That's more than EE typically shares so Morris likely won't be getting all of EE's load.

This is what RW actually linked:

- I don't think it's unfair to say that this means JJ is saying Morris will be the "no. 1" RB. I think FF people know that teams' RB1's can come in all variations with a variety of risks. It remains to be seen if Morris gets 66% of the share or 51% or what. Even if Morris is the starter I do think Dallas will give McFadden a respectful role, something like being the RB in on at least 1/3rd of the drives plus maybe some 3rd down work. That's more than EE typically shares so Morris likely won't be getting all of EE's load.
Jones never said Morris is the #1 back.  End of story.  The fact remains it could be Morris or it could be DMC.  Nobody knows and Rotoworld once again posts false information.

Jones never said Morris is the #1 back.  End of story.  The fact remains it could be Morris or it could be DMC.  Nobody knows and Rotoworld once again posts false information.
Actually I agree now, what JJ said is "more carries", not more carries than anyone else or 'most carries.'

Actually I agree now, what JJ said is "more carries", not more carries than anyone else or 'most carries.'
I live in Dallas and am very familiar with "Jerry Jones talk".  It was typical Jerry Jones.  He was being political about it.  Mixed in with his Jerry Jones "uh" pauses.  If you go back and listen to it.  He either has no clue who is the starter or he does know and doesn't want to give it away.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SlaterNFL/status/925760764799004672

Lol.
Michael Fabiano has been horrible since his days at CBS/Sportsline in the early 2000s. Worst Fantasy Football "expert", ever.

"Player X could leapfrog Player Y if he plays well, but don't be surprised if Player Y holds on to his job".

CUT-PASTE-REPEAT. That's all he's capable of doing.

Michael Fabiano has been horrible since his days at CBS/Sportsline in the early 2000s. Worst Fantasy Football "expert", ever.

"Player X could leapfrog Player Y if he plays well, but don't be surprised if Player Y holds on to his job".

CUT-PASTE-REPEAT. That's all he's capable of doing.
While you are right. Don't even pay attention to what Fabiano said. Jane Slater who is connected to Dallas was told by team mates...

Morris getting first team reps at practice today.
McFadden owners will believe that this is just another step in keeping McFadden super fresh down the stretch. No game time, minimal practice reps, that's what any smart team would do with their star secret weapon.

Remember, the stud #1 back that Morris owners think he is only got 13 more carries than DMC who has not played at all. 13 thats an avg of 2 carries a game, while he was active, he wasnt providing anything but one solid run on those 13 carries this year. My eyes tell me it looks like Morris is running in quick sand, he did get chased down in the one good run he had.

Remember, the stud #1 back that Morris owners think he is only got 13 more carries than DMC who has not played at all. 13 thats an avg of 2 carries a game, while he was active, he wasnt providing anything but one solid run on those 13 carries this year. My eyes tell me it looks like Morris is running in quick sand, he did get chased down in the one good run he had.
So Rod Smith hype ??

Users who are viewing this thread