What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dallas Cowboys 2013 Draft Board Leaked (1 Viewer)

By my count, there were 5 guys they had with first round grades left when they came on the clock at 18. These are Floyd, Rhodes, Patterson, Eifert and Werner. Now obviously getting the extra 3rd was nice, but they could have taken someone who they had in their top 5 players at 18. You have to question how much they really liked him if they passed on him there.

Interesting that after giving Nassib and Barkley 2nd round grades they passed on them in the 3rd.

By my count, there were 5 guys they had with first round grades left when they came on the clock at 18. These are Floyd, Rhodes, Patterson, Eifert and Werner. Now obviously getting the extra 3rd was nice, but they could have taken someone who they had in their top 5 players at 18. You have to question how much they really liked him if they passed on him there. Interesting that after giving Nassib and Barkley 2nd round grades they passed on them in the 3rd.
It was pretty clear from post-draft comments from Jerry and others that they were going to go interior OL with their first pick or possibly Vacarro. (There was major conjecture and some comments that Romo requested (demanded?) improved OL talent with the extension he signed.) But once Vacarro, Cooper and Warmack were gone, Dallas bailed out to the previously-negotiated deal with San Fran. What I and many others suspect is that they did not anticipate Floyd dropping like he did (#5 overall on their board). Some wanted to stay with the plan of OL, and others wanted to scrap the plan and go Floyd. Dallas got very, very lucky to get Frederick at 31. According to their board, he was by far the highest rated OL prospect left then. They had to be sweating major bullets when NYG and CHicago went OL at 19 and 20. Jerry said post draft that "Frederick was the last of the Mohicans" and this board shows exactly that.Edit: As for the QBs, given Romo's extension, these guys would play out their rookie deal with Romo still getting major money. They'll probably go developmental QB in a couple years.

Last edited by a moderator:
By my count, there were 5 guys they had with first round grades left when they came on the clock at 18. These are Floyd, Rhodes, Patterson, Eifert and Werner. Now obviously getting the extra 3rd was nice, but they could have taken someone who they had in their top 5 players at 18. You have to question how much they really liked him if they passed on him there. Interesting that after giving Nassib and Barkley 2nd round grades they passed on them in the 3rd.
It was pretty clear from post-draft comments from Jerry and others that they were going to go interior OL with their first pick or possibly Vacarro. (There was major conjecture and some comments that Romo requested (demanded?) improved OL talent with the extension he signed.) But once Vacarro, Cooper and Warmack were gone, Dallas bailed out to the previously-negotiated deal with San Fran. What I and many others suspect is that they did not anticipate Floyd dropping like he did (#5 overall on their board). Some wanted to stay with the plan of OL, and others wanted to scrap the plan and go Floyd. Dallas got very, very lucky to get Frederick at 31. According to their board, he was by far the highest rated OL prospect left then. They had to be sweating major bullets when NYG and CHicago went OL at 19 and 20. Jerry said post draft that "Frederick was the last of the Mohicans" and this board shows exactly that.Edit: As for the QBs, given Romo's extension, these guys would play out their rookie deal with Romo still getting major money. They'll probably go developmental QB in a couple years.
Frederick was the dumbest pick of the draft. Really, who takes a Center hoping he's the missing piece to making the playoffs? The Titians grabbed a more versatile C in the 4th. That was a wild reach.

Frederick was the dumbest pick of the draft. Really, who takes a Center hoping he's the missing piece to making the playoffs? The Titians grabbed a more versatile C in the 4th. That was a wild reach.
Was it dumber than the two teams who picked guards in the top-10 picks of the draft? Heck, at least the center has the extra responsibility of snapping the ball.

You can question their rankings. You can question the need of the positions they took. You can even question why they didn't stay true to their board and take one of their remaining first round graded players at 18.

However, the one thing you can't question is that they didn't get value based on THEIR rankings. With the trade, the Cowboys ended up with 3 players AT LEAST ranked in their top-40 (Fredrick, Escobar & Williams) and another 3 they had graded as third round (top-68) picks (Webb, Wilcox & Randle).

I thought this was very interesting:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/5/30/4378574/dallas-cowboys-2013-draft-board-leaked-almost-complete-7-round-board

... Players not on the board: It looks like there are several categories of player not on the Cowboys board:

1. Injury or character scratches:

- First rounders Jarvis Jones, Alec Ogletree and Matt Elam aren't on Dallas board.

Neither are RB Christine Michael, WRs Keenan Allen and Robert Woods, CBs Tyrann Matthieu and Therold Simon, or DE Sam Montgomery. Clearly, its still important that the players they draft are "RKGs." Further, the team seems to be moving away form selecting talented yet injury-prone players. Several guys with injury histories - Marcus Lattimore, or the aforementioned Jones, for example - are nowhere to be found.

Was it dumber than the two teams who picked guards in the top-10 picks of the draft? Heck, at least the center has the extra responsibility of snapping the ball. You can question their rankings. You can question the need of the positions they took. You can even question why they didn't stay true to their board and take one of their remaining first round graded players at 18. However, the one thing you can't question is that they didn't get value based on THEIR rankings. With the trade, the Cowboys ended up with 3 players AT LEAST ranked in their top-40 (Fredrick, Escobar & Williams) and another 3 they had graded as third round (top-68) picks (Webb, Wilcox & Randle).
I question the thought of a "franchise Center" that's all.

Was it dumber than the two teams who picked guards in the top-10 picks of the draft? Heck, at least the center has the extra responsibility of snapping the ball. You can question their rankings. You can question the need of the positions they took. You can even question why they didn't stay true to their board and take one of their remaining first round graded players at 18. However, the one thing you can't question is that they didn't get value based on THEIR rankings. With the trade, the Cowboys ended up with 3 players AT LEAST ranked in their top-40 (Fredrick, Escobar & Williams) and another 3 they had graded as third round (top-68) picks (Webb, Wilcox & Randle).
Not trying to get into a pissing contest with you, but I think you can have a "franchise" player at any position (maybe exclude P/K).

There are 39 modern era O-line hall of famers; 8 of those players were centers (20%, 1/5 of the O-line). If teams had know what kind of careers Dermontti Dawson, Mike Webster or Dwight Stephenson would have, they would have definitely been high first round choices.

The craziness of this draft is that the talent and relative value was so great on the O-line, we ended up with O-linemen going in 6 of the first 11 picks (4 Ts, 2 Gs) and a total of 9 in the first 31 picks. If that's where the value was, I don't have a problem with the pick, especially if it is over a lesser player at a "sexier" position.

Now, if you believe Fredrick is not special, better players were avaiable and the team could have had him or a similiar center later, I won't disagree. Only time will tell. I do hope they picked the right guy.

Really? You are a professional talent scout? You've spent your entire last year evaluating and grading prospects? Watched all their tape? Talked to their coaches? Gone with the OL coach for a couple days visit when they worked out and did a lot of chalk talk? You've delved into their backgrounds? So you're equally or more informed than the people who did do al those things and did make the assessment that Frederick was an early 2nd round talent, about #24 in the draft and other centers were 4th round prospects?

M'kay, I'll be sure to follow your draft boards closely from here out. You're obviously a brilliant and informed person to have such opinions.

Now that they traded away Revis, the Jets best player is probably their center.

That's a positive sign for Lacy. They had him as a 2nd rounder, behind only Gio, despite taking a lot of guys off their board for injury reasons.

Really? You are a professional talent scout? You've spent your entire last year evaluating and grading prospects? Watched all their tape? Talked to their coaches? Gone with the OL coach for a couple days visit when they worked out and did a lot of chalk talk? You've delved into their backgrounds? So you're equally or more informed than the people who did do al those things and did make the assessment that Frederick was an early 2nd round talent, about #24 in the draft and other centers were 4th round prospects? M'kay, I'll be sure to follow your draft boards closely from here out. You're obviously a brilliant and informed person to have such opinions.
Seriously? You're going to fall back on that? Because the Cowboys have demonstrated such drafting acumen since JImmy Johnson left.

I find the difference of opinion on Schwenke interesting. He had an excellent combine and Mayock had him rated as his #1 center prior to the draft. Dallas had rated as a 5th round prospect. Titans took him in the 4th and are now saying that Schwenke was their #1 center. They expect him to compete for a starting position as a rookie.

Dallas clearly has Fredrick first and did not want to settle for anybody else.

Donnybrook said:
I find the difference of opinion on Schwenke interesting. He had an excellent combine and Mayock had him rated as his #1 center prior to the draft. Dallas had rated as a 5th round prospect. Titans took him in the 4th and are now saying that Schwenke was their #1 center. They expect him to compete for a starting position as a rookie. Dallas clearly has Fredrick first and did not want to settle for anybody else.
Schwenke might actually have OG potential

If Schwenke is better than Frederick I'm going to vomit. Same goes for Larry Warford for that matter.

They've hit with a couple of guys over the years, but they have also thrown entire drafts away. I don't trust them and this board is interesting in the way learning a secret is interesting, but it's content is meaningless.

To stay on the rare linemen topic, I don't think Armstead is on the board. He was another freak athlete that might end up protecting Brees blindside as a rookie. I'd rather have a high upside LT bust than go for my top C even if I did a background check lol.

The most interesting thing to me was comparing this to the Steelers draft. Looks like they had completely different views on a few prospects. And how deep the DB position was this year.

I suspect that Jerry somehow snuck into Minnesota's draft room and snapped a picture just to prove it.

#5 - Flloyd

#11 - Rhodes

#13 - Patterson

Gandalf the Grey said:
Ridgelake said:
Really? You are a professional talent scout? You've spent your entire last year evaluating and grading prospects? Watched all their tape? Talked to their coaches? Gone with the OL coach for a couple days visit when they worked out and did a lot of chalk talk? You've delved into their backgrounds? So you're equally or more informed than the people who did do al those things and did make the assessment that Frederick was an early 2nd round talent, about #24 in the draft and other centers were 4th round prospects? M'kay, I'll be sure to follow your draft boards closely from here out. You're obviously a brilliant and informed person to have such opinions.
Seriously? You're going to fall back on that? Because the Cowboys have demonstrated such drafting acumen since JImmy Johnson left.
Well, if you look at their leaked board from 2010, they did get a lot of guys right. Sean Lee? Dez Bryant? yep. Navarro Bowman at 20 overall? Yep. Go down that list and they did reasonably well.

What some folks also aren't taking into consideration is that the Dallas board is most definitely influenced by scheme as well as need. For example, you won't find big run plugging NTs on the board. Doesnt fit the Tampa 2 they run now.

Donnybrook said:
Dallas clearly has Fredrick first and did not want to settle for anybody else.
From listening to the post draft comments, which are now being corroborated with this board, Dallas wanted to go interior OL in the first with Vacarro being the only other option. They wanted Cooper or Warmack, but they were long gone. When Vacarro went to NO, Dallas bailed out from 18. They wanted Pugh, or at least had him slightly higher rated than Frederick. But Giants grabbed him at 19.

Frederick was the "Last of the Mohicans" or interior OL prospects rated 1st or 2nd round when they came up at 31. It was a long, long fall down their board to the next guy.

As for Terron Armstead, Dallas did scout him extensively. Made a pre-draft visit. That he wasnt on their board at the end tells me that something really turned them off of him late. Injury? Questionable instincts? Not a "RKG"? Dallas' board has definitely changed with Garrett's influence. Since he became coach, they've had a much greater interest in guys who are hard workers and love to play. Maybe Armstead didn't fit that profile.

My biggest question after looking at their board is why they didn't just take the fifth highest rated player on their board at #18 when DT Sharriff Floyd was low hanging fruit for easy pickings?

Seems like a no-brainer considering their draft board and I really don't like how little they got in return from the Niners.

Hopefully Fredrick works out for them but didn't feel right at the time and it looks even worse in retrospect.

My biggest question after looking at their board is why they didn't just take the fifth highest rated player on their board at #18 when DT Sharriff Floyd was low hanging fruit for easy pickings?

Seems like a no-brainer considering their draft board and I really don't like how little they got in return from the Niners.

Hopefully Fredrick works out for them but didn't feel right at the time and it looks even worse in retrospect.
Yep, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense. If they were so determined to go o-line first, then why bother having any of the other positions on the board in the 1st round?

Yep, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense. If they were so determined to go o-line first, then why bother having any of the other positions on the board in the 1st round?
Because the board is smoke and mirrors.

Users who are viewing this thread