What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Dallas Cowboys** 2019, you sucked (3 Viewers)

Don’t listen to My Dogg. He’s still butt hurt that his QB gets hurt putting on his socks. Salty Philly guys always make their way into anything America’s Team. 
following this thread a bit, i don't believe any of you had wished for McCarthy to join the team. Everyone loved the college coaches and a bunch of young start ups. My guess is the reality is that there are not a ton of coaches who wish to work under Jerry Jones, and that is why they were able to jump on McCarthy.

I will shed a tear because i will miss Garrett clapping away on the sideline, but we will see if McCarthy comes back as the same old or learned from his previous tenure

following this thread a bit, i don't believe any of you had wished for McCarthy to join the team. Everyone loved the college coaches and a bunch of young start ups. My guess is the reality is that there are not a ton of coaches who wish to work under Jerry Jones, and that is why they were able to jump on McCarthy.

I will shed a tear because i will miss Garrett clapping away on the sideline, but we will see if McCarthy comes back as the same old or learned from his previous tenure
:lol:

Rex Ryan said Sunday that anyone that says they’re not interested in being the HC of the Cowboys is lying

Forgive me if I take his word over “eagles fan from the internet”

There isn’t a coach that’s ever walked this earth that wouldnt take the Cowboys job over the second banana team in your own state. 100/100 times. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody else troubled by the fact McCarthy had more unsuccessful HC interviews than the Cowboys? McCarthy has been passed over by the Jets, Giants, Browns and Panthers. Did I miss anybody? This feels like the Linehan hire for OC to me. I hope I'm wrong.  

Anybody else troubled by the fact McCarthy had more unsuccessful HC interviews than the Cowboys? McCarthy has been passed over by the Jets, Giants, Browns and Panthers. Did I miss anybody? This feels like the Linehan hire for OC to me. I hope I'm wrong.  
Not really, especially considering the state of most of those franchises. The fact that Belichick said he was one of the best coaches he ever went up against carries more weight IMO.

I don't think you're hearing what you want to hear, LOL.

Mike Nolan doesn't have a good rep around the league? I beg to differ. You're at least somewhat limited by the talent at hand & we have good D personnel. That solves the first equation.

Put it this way, I'd rather have Nolan than your DC (by far). Not being salty, just comparing one current DC to Nolan.
You misunderstand me. I am just asking for some tangible proof of what Mike Nolan has done in his career that makes him a good DC because I know nothing about him. When I look at the statistical performances of his defenses over his coaching tenure the only thing that stands out as a solid positive is two seasons with the Ravens where they were a top ten defense. As I said before, that defense had 2 hall of famers (Lewis and Reed) and possibly a third hall of famer (Suggs). The fact that he failed as a head coach doesn't bother me. The fact that he has gone from a DC to a linebackers coach for 5 years does concern me. Saying he has a good reputation is just an opinion and opinion's don't win football games. But if you are happy with the hire based on his good reputation, then I am fine with that.

As for the Eagles DC, I think Schwartz does some good things, but I am okay if the Eagles move on from him.

You misunderstand me. I am just asking for some tangible proof of what Mike Nolan has done in his career that makes him a good DC because I know nothing about him. When I look at the statistical performances of his defenses over his coaching tenure the only thing that stands out as a solid positive is two seasons with the Ravens where they were a top ten defense. As I said before, that defense had 2 hall of famers (Lewis and Reed) and possibly a third hall of famer (Suggs). The fact that he failed as a head coach doesn't bother me. The fact that he has gone from a DC to a linebackers coach for 5 years does concern me. Saying he has a good reputation is just an opinion and opinion's don't win football games. But if you are happy with the hire based on his good reputation, then I am fine with that.

As for the Eagles DC, I think Schwartz does some good things, but I am okay if the Eagles move on from him.
Were all nobodies until somebody loves us.

This is all fair. 

I’ll be honest and say that I never did really consider McCarthy because as I mentioned before, I was sure they were gonna go for a college guy. 

The more I read and hear the more I like it. 

I admit, after reading the Peter King article, I'm slightly more intrigued with the McCarthy hire.  Seems like he really put in some work to improve himself as a coach, or maybe it's all crap, I dunno....time is gonna tell.

Bottom line, the 'boys have the players to make a run......that's what the McCarthy hire is about.....he will be expected to get this team over, and will not have the same long leash that clapper did.  By year two, we should know one way or the other......if it doesn't work, I'd love to see it all blown up, and a new young innovator hired......but if Jerry remains GM, well you know

Subjectively, I always thought Nolan's Ds were well prepared & got the most our of their talent. This dude can coach & he's especially good with talent.

That's exactly what we need.

Tangible proof is a 9th & 5th-rated D in 2012/2013 with Atlanta & had MEDIOCRE talent to work with. That's key. The Falcons were terrible in 2014 & Nolan was let go when Smith was fired.

Subjectively, I always thought Nolan's Ds were well prepared & got the most our of their talent. This dude can coach & he's especially good with talent.

That's exactly what we need.
Okay, thanks for the tangible proof. I will give you the 5th rated defense in 2012 because they allowed the fifth fewest points (24th ranked in yards). However, where did you get the 9th rated defense in 2013? They ranked 27th in yards allowed and 27th in points allowed. By 2014 they were ranked 32nd in yards allowed and 27th in points allowed. He hasn't been a DC since.

Okay, thanks for the tangible proof. I will give you the 5th rated defense in 2012 because they allowed the fifth fewest points (24th ranked in yards). However, where did you get the 9th rated defense in 2013? They ranked 27th in yards allowed and 27th in points allowed. By 2014 they were ranked 32nd in yards allowed and 27th in points allowed. He hasn't been a DC since.
I actually edited 2013 because I think I looked at how they sorted it wrong.

I'm not sure his Atlanta stint is the best indicator of how he'll do in Dallas. Mike Smith had his hands all over the D with his scheme, etc.

A better indicator would be the 2009 Broncos under an offensive HC (Josh McDaniels). Denver had the 2nd-best D efficiency improvement from the previous season (Nolan wasn't there in 2008). Despite not being a playoff team, they ranked 7th.

I'm real happy with Nolan. He'll have good talent to work with & is a proven commodity. 

On the surface it looks bad. He sleeps with Jerry on the first date, staying over at his house as Jones then turns around and ends his marriage of 20 years with Jason Garrett. 

All kidding aside though, when you look around and see what Carolina is doing as they slowly turn into the Cleveland Browns, hiring a favor of the month in college and paying him an enormous sum of money for nothing. It reminds me when Snyder hired anyone...anyone...how about Steve Spurrier except in Spurrier's case he was even more qualified. I don't give that team a lot of hope the next few years. 

So back to Dallas. I think McCarthy will coach up Dak Prescott and turn the juice on even more for the offense. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance, perhaps being pulled away from the game for a year and re-evaluating himself and wanting to embrace some of the evolution of the current NFL...I'm willing to give him a chance. This is a weak division but it just saw 3 new head coaches and I really like the Rivera-JDR combo to get things stabilized...I repeat stabilized(No SB hype) but they will be better I can assure you. The Giants IMO are a better team with the fellow from New England, I think he is a great hire and they are going to be a tough out. Philly has a Super Bowl and a division title going into next season, they're not going to stand pat and I look for major improvement there as well. McCarthy is going to have a tough go of it.

He has experience, and he had to dance around in Green Bay between Thompson the GM and Favre-Rodgers, don't kid yourself, Jerry Jones won't be a completely new problem that he hasn't seen previously. Fine the owner is meddlesome but there were things in Green Bay working against McCarthy and so I am willing to give him a couple seasons and see what he can produce. He has a lot of knowledge and a lot of experience, and I think he will command the locker room initially. I wouldn't put it past to Dallas to make a run of 10-11 wins next year. Look at that offense and it needs a good leader, Prescott wants to be coached up and he is going to get that opportunity. 

I know many Dallas fans will be underwhelmed but you have to be realistic about your owner and all things considered this was probably the right move for them at this moment. A lot of flavors of the week are not working out, many owners kept coaches that others thought should be gone. 

I give them a solid 7 on a 1-10 scale when you factor in the way they are set up and operate, I could maybe go as high as 8 when you see what Carolina forked over. Give it a chance and at least see what type of offense they install, perhaps keep Moore? 

On the surface it looks bad. He sleeps with Jerry on the first date, staying over at his house as Jones then turns around and ends his marriage of 20 years with Jason Garrett. 

All kidding aside though, when you look around and see what Carolina is doing as they slowly turn into the Cleveland Browns, hiring a favor of the month in college and paying him an enormous sum of money for nothing. It reminds me when Snyder hired anyone...anyone...how about Steve Spurrier except in Spurrier's case he was even more qualified. I don't give that team a lot of hope the next few years. 

So back to Dallas. I think McCarthy will coach up Dak Prescott and turn the juice on even more for the offense. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance, perhaps being pulled away from the game for a year and re-evaluating himself and wanting to embrace some of the evolution of the current NFL...I'm willing to give him a chance. This is a weak division but it just saw 3 new head coaches and I really like the Rivera-JDR combo to get things stabilized...I repeat stabilized(No SB hype) but they will be better I can assure you. The Giants IMO are a better team with the fellow from New England, I think he is a great hire and they are going to be a tough out. Philly has a Super Bowl and a division title going into next season, they're not going to stand pat and I look for major improvement there as well. McCarthy is going to have a tough go of it.

He has experience, and he had to dance around in Green Bay between Thompson the GM and Favre-Rodgers, don't kid yourself, Jerry Jones won't be a completely new problem that he hasn't seen previously. Fine the owner is meddlesome but there were things in Green Bay working against McCarthy and so I am willing to give him a couple seasons and see what he can produce. He has a lot of knowledge and a lot of experience, and I think he will command the locker room initially. I wouldn't put it past to Dallas to make a run of 10-11 wins next year. Look at that offense and it needs a good leader, Prescott wants to be coached up and he is going to get that opportunity. 

I know many Dallas fans will be underwhelmed but you have to be realistic about your owner and all things considered this was probably the right move for them at this moment. A lot of flavors of the week are not working out, many owners kept coaches that others thought should be gone. 

I give them a solid 7 on a 1-10 scale when you factor in the way they are set up and operate, I could maybe go as high as 8 when you see what Carolina forked over. Give it a chance and at least see what type of offense they install, perhaps keep Moore? 
You give me 10-11 wins next year and I wont be underwhelmed..... I’ll be in charge of organizing the ticker tape parade.😂

Yes, LOL. MUCH more confident. :)

Rico was a favorite dynasty stash of mine because of his raw upside, but McCarthy is a known entity & seems to have a good grasp of what it takes to win in today's NFL with his updated approach.

This could be the perfect hire as far as getting a quality coach who can jive with JJ. JJ has his faults, but he should be commended for putting together a very talented roster.
It's clear that he talks a good game, but it remains to be seen if he will fall back into his old ways as soon as the bullets start flying.

I think MaCarthy sold Jerry on his "year off of finding myself" or whatever you wanna call it.......he's all about all these analytics and building this team of analysts or whatever.  That's all fine and dandy, but if the results aren't there, he's gonna get canned within a couple seasons.

So... it’s the same playcaller with the same system?
What could go wrong lol?

Actually I do think having McCarthy's input into the offense and tweaking what they are currently doing could make it into an elite offense. I think most everyone agrees that the talent is there for this to be a perennial top offense. While people are somewhat split on Dak as a franchise QB, he is certainly good enough to be part of a top offense. The only spot the Cowboys could upgrade significantly is TE, and WR if Cooper is not re-signed.

What could go wrong lol?

Actually I do think having McCarthy's input into the offense and tweaking what they are currently doing could make it into an elite offense. I think most everyone agrees that the talent is there for this to be a perennial top offense. While people are somewhat split on Dak as a franchise QB, he is certainly good enough to be part of a top offense. The only spot the Cowboys could upgrade significantly is TE, and WR if Cooper is not re-signed.
Good points...

The Cowboys should be able to be the best running team in the league, right?  Wasn't that the whole point of getting a buncha road graders on the O line, and drafting, and now paying Zeke?  Over the years Garrett has shown a tendency to abandon the run in a reactionary way.  I'd like to see more purposeful play calling and allowing the the talent accumulated to do what they do best, ala the Ravens, or even Tennessee.

As a side note, for all this to work, Dak must be able to be more accurate in crucial moments....he needs some more of the clutch factor

Good points...

The Cowboys should be able to be the best running team in the league, right?  Wasn't that the whole point of getting a buncha road graders on the O line, and drafting, and now paying Zeke?  Over the years Garrett has shown a tendency to abandon the run in a reactionary way.  I'd like to see more purposeful play calling and allowing the the talent accumulated to do what they do best, ala the Ravens, or even Tennessee.

As a side note, for all this to work, Dak must be able to be more accurate in crucial moments....he needs some more of the clutch factor
Well, that’s the problem, other than Martin and maybe (pre-neurological disorder) Frederick, they don’t have road graders. They have athletic pass blockers, at least with their current lineup. Couple that with the star on their helmet and the media hype of “The best line in all of football” moniker that paints a ginormous target on them each week that other teams take pride in dismantling. 

Been begging for this since he was drafted but Connor Williams is NOT a guard. Collins is a mauler and despite playing extremely well at RT last year, the two (and everyone else on the offense) would benefit greatly from swapping spots. Unfortunately, part of the agreement to get Collins to sign as a undrafted FA was that he could play tackle. (Read MO’MONEY!)

If any of you would like to start a new thread for the new year go for it and we can let this one go
I’ll do it since nobody has stepped up...

ETA-

meh, you already have the threat title so there’s no real reason for me to start a new one unless I wanted the attention. 

Curious FJ, if you still think Nolan was a great hire :D ? Couldn't resist. I still think the Cowboys win the NFC East (Maybe with 8 wins)
I have no idea now. The previous D coaches needed to go, but not sure if this is partly due to the craziness surrounding 2020 or something else.

The Cowboys are loaded, but you don't play the game on paper. Hopefully, they turn it around before it's too late. The saving grace is the putrid division.

Curious FJ, if you still think Nolan was a great hire :D ? Couldn't resist. I still think the Cowboys win the NFC East (Maybe with 8 wins)
I was always worried about Nolan and specifically the 3-4 scheme. It’s a compete disaster. I would fire him yesterday and bring in a 4-3 guy. Nobody know what they’re doing and the 3-4 is just a dumb concept. 3 linemen???? 4 guys who can’t cover the slot????

HATE IT. 

Amazing how much time the NFL Network spends talking about this terrible team year after year. is that in Irvin's contract?

Users who are viewing this thread