What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dave Ragone (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
Remind me how good(or not) this restricted free agent was in college. His NFLE stats were excellent and IIRC he was not a top QB coming out of college but he was up there.

Edit to add NFLE stats

13 TD just 2 INTs

Last edited by a moderator:
He was considered a guy who could be a top pick entering his final year at Louisville, but his stock fell off in his final season for a variety of reasons. Ultimately the main knocks on him were stiff mechanics and a less-than-ideal release.

interesting, thanks for the reply

well your Eagles backups aren't cutting it IMO. Is it fair to agree on that? Would you want them to take a chance on him? or no? Why or why not?

Hes a marginal prospect. As Jason said, he was a 1st rounder after his JR year, but came back and his stock dropped(apparently rightfully so).

Id like to see a team like the Eagles, who have a cheap #2 guy in Detmer, take him on as a #2/#3 type guy, who could be ready to be the main backup in a year.

well your Eagles backups aren't cutting it IMO. Is it fair to agree on that? Would you want them to take a chance on him? or no? Why or why not?
I've got no interest in him as an Eagles backup, although I would rather have him over McMahon [but keep in mind I LOATHE McMahon]. Ragone is a robotic pocket passer with a slow [or slower than optimal] release; not exactly a great fit for Reid's offense.I would love it if the Birds took a look at someone like McCown but it's not going to happen. Mornhinweg is a McMahon guy and he's now our OC :cry:

While there is reason to doubt the talent evaluation skills of the previous Texans coaching staff, there has never been any indication that Ragone has seriously pushed Tony Banks for the back-up job in Houston.

Lots of guys look good coming out of college and NFL Europe. Sometimes the speed of the NFL is too much of an adjustment.

Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Chris Redman, Patrick Ramsey, Joey Harrington, JP Losman all come to mind...

Lots of guys look good coming out of college and NFL Europe. Sometimes the speed of the NFL is too much of an adjustment.

Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Chris Redman, Patrick Ramsey, Joey Harrington, JP Losman all come to mind...
What about Rohan Davey? I can't believe he hasn't caught on somewhere. He's got everything but the mind, but that's a lot to be missing. Still, he should be playing somewhere. As for Ragone, he makes me think of a Jay Fiedler type. Low end NFL caliber. There are 30 of them in the league, but 200 guys with the skill package.

When I saw him, he looked good in preseason too. You're right lots of guys have. I'd bet every starting NFL QB would look good in preseason and in NFLE if they went. My point is simply that he's done well in all the minor league and practice reps, in my mind that deserves a look in the regular season. Just a look. End of the game, end of the season...something. Otherwise, what's the point in a player doing well in preseason and NFLE?BTW Redman didn't start(or make?) his NFLE team and not so coincidentally he was cut from his NFL team shortly after. Titans? I think it was last summer.

Ragone will probably never be more than a backup, but he could end up being a really good backup. He is a smart kid who can adapt to most systems and his failure as a senior at Louisville can be totally disregarded as the team, especially the O-Line, majorly fell apart that year.

When I saw him, he looked good in preseason too. You're right lots of guys have. I'd bet every starting NFL QB would look good in preseason and in NFLE if they went. My point is simply that he's done well in all the minor league and practice reps, in my mind that deserves a look in the regular season. Just a look. End of the game, end of the season...something. Otherwise, what's the point in a player doing well in preseason and NFLE?BTW Redman didn't start(or make?) his NFLE team and not so coincidentally he was cut from his NFL team shortly after. Titans? I think it was last summer.
The rumor and insider stuff that has floated around the Texans fans and message boards is that Ragone is more of a "gamer" and does not practice well at all.

You are correct CN....he is an awful practice player and is very erratic with his passes. The Texans should have taken a look at him vs the 49'ers but that is just another wacky on-field decision that the Texans "brain trust" has made.

No faith in Timmy Chang?
I heard awful things about him as if he was "lucky" to throw for so many yards in college. While that can't be true, he certainly didn't prove the people wrong that said such things.NFLE has been wonderful for some quarterbacks. I think it's unlikely he pans out but they've performed some magic over there with QBs so I guess anything's possible.

No faith in Timmy Chang?
I heard awful things about him as if he was "lucky" to throw for so many yards in college. While that can't be true, he certainly didn't prove the people wrong that said such things.NFLE has been wonderful for some quarterbacks. I think it's unlikely he pans out but they've performed some magic over there with QBs so I guess anything's possible.
Timmy Chang simply isn't an NFL caliber QB...if you were to create a checklist of the key components of successful NFL QBs, Chang would be hard pressed to come up with a fraction of them.

Banks had no business playing a game for the Texans, especially in the SF game, I'm much rather see what Ragone could do versus Banks' usual 1 TD and 2 INTs

Ragone has barely played in the NFL. Since he's a restricted free agent, what would teams have to give the Texans as compensation?

Ragone has barely played in the NFL. Since he's a restricted free agent, what would teams have to give the Texans as compensation?
3rd round pick as that was Ragone's original draft round.

3rd round pick as that was Ragone's original draft round.
is that how the compensation works?I thought it had to do with "accrued seasons", maybe I'm confusing that with something else

He was considered a guy who could be a top pick entering his final year at Louisville, but his stock fell off in his final season for a variety of reasons. Ultimately the main knocks on him were stiff mechanics and a less-than-ideal release.
His mechanics couldn't be any worse than Phillip "freaking" Rivers.

I'd like to see him get a shot someday (just to see really). He is a gamer. He was NFLE's MVP. He is the only 3 time Conference USA offensive player of the year. He's got good size and he has a reputation for being very tough and competitive. Thrives under pressue, good leader.

Quick release, adequate armstrength, good mobility, accurate on the move, throws ducks, release point too high (you don't hear that often).

:shrug:

Count me in the minority who thinks Ragone deserves a shot. The guy really paid the price playing behind an atrocious Louisville line, scouts said leading up to the draft that it led to some bad habits mechanically. It looks like he is starting to get in a groove.

BTW Redman didn't start(or make?) his NFLE team and not so coincidentally he was cut from his NFL team shortly after. Titans? I think it was last summer.
IIRC, the team that signed Redman and released him in training camp was New England.

BTW Redman didn't start(or make?) his NFLE team and not so coincidentally he was cut from his NFL team shortly after. Titans? I think it was last summer.
IIRC, the team that signed Redman and released him in training camp was New England.
you're right, signed Jan 6th cut June 1stAt titansonline.com they have Redman being picked up august 22 and cut september 3rd

Users who are viewing this thread