What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****David Hogg Thread***** (1 Viewer)

By a strange coincidence, I actually did just buy a new pillow off Amazon.  I tend to get persistent neck cramps if I don't replace mine every year or so.  

I neglected to fully research the ideological worldview of the company that manufactured my pillow, and for that I apologize.  In the future, I will read the room, do the work, and be better.  

😢

David Hogg @davidhogg11110h

Sometimes the numbness I know I and so many other survivors have developed as a survival strategy fades and the pain that washes in is so great it’s like a tidal wave.

All we want are some common sense rules to stop what happened to Parkland and happens every day America from happening again. Our future is killed every single day in our country and the fact politicians do nothing about it is a canary in the coal mine for our future

https://twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/1507190684524064799

😢

Sometimes the numbness I know I and so many other survivors have developed as a survival strategy fades and the pain that washes in is so great it’s like a tidal wave.

All we want are some common sense rules to stop what happened to Parkland and happens every day America from happening again. Our future is killed every single day in our country and the fact politicians do nothing about it is a canary in the coal mine for our future

The answer is to start a pillow making company David.

The answer is to start a pillow making company David.

Perhaps he would have had better luck had he tried Hogg Steaks, Hogg Vodka, Hogg Airlines, Hogg Magazine or Hogg University instead (or at least he couldn't have done any worse than that other guy who started similar businesses).

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of feel bad for him.  This kid was used by the left and the DNC and then thrown away to the trash bin by them when he outlived his usefulness.

Now he needs validation so much that he has to say something, anything, to try and reclaim the "look at me in the spotlight" he once had.

I kind of feel bad for him.  This kid was used by the left and the DNC and then thrown away to the trash bin by them when he outlived his usefulness to them.

Now he needs validation so much that he has to say something, anything, to try and reclaim the "look at me in the spotlight" he once had.

Very True.  Seems like Liberals quit taking his calls after BLM.  

😢

This young guy is a selfish huckster.  You shouldn't give him a platform. Only amoral people use tragedies for their own self-interest.

This young guy is a selfish huckster.  You shouldn't give him a platform. Only amoral people use tragedies for their own self-interest.

Did I miss your criticism of people giving Kyle Rittenhouse a platform for using the tragedy of the two people he killed for his own self interest? 

David Hogg's group advocates for gun control laws that wouldn't have stopped the Parkland shooting.  And that's the problem with the gun control movement.

Did I miss your criticism of people giving Kyle Rittenhouse a platform for using the tragedy of the two people he killed for his own self interest? 
No, I think those people are fanatics as well but there is a big difference between Rittenhouse and Hogg.  The violence in Kenosha actually involved Rittenhouse.  He spent time in jail and his life was altered.  It is his story that he is selling. 

No, I think those people are fanatics as well but there is a big difference between Rittenhouse and Hogg.  The violence in Kenosha actually involved Rittenhouse.  He spent time in jail and his life was altered.  It is his story that he is selling. 

The violence at Stoneman Douglas High School actually involved David Hogg as it did all those at that HS who survived and their lives were permanently altered too.

David Hogg's group advocates for gun control laws that wouldn't have stopped the Parkland shooting.  And that's the problem with the gun control movement.
This is a good point. But it’s also true that those on the other side tend to oppose ALL gun control restrictions, even those that might very reasonably have an impact on gun crimes. Which is very frustrating. 

The violence at Stoneman Douglas High School actually involved David Hogg as it did all those at that HS who survived and their lives were permanently altered too.
Hogg was among the hundreds who safely evacuated the school after the shooting began.  He was never directly involved in the violence, nor did he receive any injuries.

I take that back..it appears he does have mental injuries.  It is sad that so many Americans have experienced school shootings similar to Hogg.  Personally, I support strong gun control, but it appears too many people are against or why haven't our elected officials already made changes?

What common sense rules is Hogg pushing for?  His tweet contained no substance.  It was like being handed a drink with no fluid, just an empty cup.

This is a good point. But it’s also true that those on the other side tend to oppose ALL gun control restrictions, even those that might very reasonably have an impact on gun crimes. Which is very frustrating. 

We don't enforce the current laws on the books.  The focus should be on that before we enact new laws to ignore. 

timschochet said:

That's not true at all.  The problem is, we're the only side that's giving in.  You guys can't leave well enough alone.

Every time we say, "OK, we agree to do that", you guys take that and then proceed to try and push thru 5000 more restrictions.  We know what the strategy is here:  Death by a thousand cuts.  You're going to keep pushing and pushing until you get rid of all guns and it will be in small increments.  One day we'll wake up and we'll have no guns - but that's the strategy.

So now you'll just get resistance every step of the way.   

Side note: Ukraine also didn't allow their citizens to have personal firearms - until it was too late - and then they dropped all of the gun laws.  Probably would have been nice to have BEFORE Russia invaded.  Now they're all scrambling to find them.

timschochet said:
Sounds very similar to another big issue in America.

This is a pretty disgusting thing to say.

The kid lived through a school shooting. 

Just listen to yourself.
A little self-reflection may be in order here.  Why are you referring to Hogg as a "kid?"  

(I'm not even looking for an answer here.  It just stands out when someone refers to a grown adult as a "kid," and it's interesting to think about what subconscious considerations led you to choose that term.)

I don't think he likes it. That's too far. 

I DO think he sees it as an opportunity to further his brand and profit off the tragedy. 

That is what I meant, opportunist for his brand. To capitalize on tragedies But that is the world we live in now.

When the "total" focus right now for everyone should be on support the families that lost loved ones. not the political sideshow that always follows.

Hogg was on TV last night and he never mentioned the families or the kids who were killed, only his meetings with Shumer and his agenda.

Talk about gross!

He already did the pillow gimmick , maybe slippers this go around 

There are better examples of enterprises for him to emulate, and from someone you so admire:

Hogg Steaks

Hogg Airlines

Hogg Vodka

Hogg Mortgage

Hogg Magazine

Hogg University

Hogg Ice 

Hogg Network

A little self-reflection may be in order here.  Why are you referring to Hogg as a "kid?"  

(I'm not even looking for an answer here.  It just stands out when someone refers to a grown adult as a "kid," and it's interesting to think about what subconscious considerations led you to choose that term.)
He is 22 and still in college. I think most of us consider college age to still be kids, don't we? 

He is 22 and still in college. I think most of us consider college age to still be kids, don't we? 
I don't.  

I've refrained from posting much, if at all, about Hogg because I do agree that college undergraduates deserve a little space to grow into adulthood, and it feels like punching down to make fun of a college student for coming up with what was obviously a bad idea for a pillow company.  I'm all in favor of laying off the guy for the time being.

That said, there's a tendency for people use to use terms like "kid" as an intentional or unintentional way of insulating them from criticism.  All of us understand that it's fine to criticize a "political activist," but only a heartless ####### would criticize a "kid."  When you prop up a young person as an avatar for a political movement, it's probably very difficult to resist making that move.  And we should all view that move as illegitimate.

Admittedly, I was under the impression that he had graduated from college already.  Happy to leave him alone while he's an undergrad.

Didn't even realize he was that old. Can't believe it's been 4 years since THAT shooting as well.

Weird part of my post to address, but sure, at 22, he is an adult. Apologies to anyone I offended by calling him a kid. 

Also, I'm not even trying to defend him or what he does. I'm not a fan of people profiting off of a tragedy. But, I also tend to give a little more leeway to those that actually WENT THROUGH the tragedy. Still, I don't think that's even relevant to the post I was originally referring to.

Suggesting someone "likes" when elementary school kids are gunned down is a pretty obvious line that is crossed, IMO. Especially when that adult is a survivor of the same kind of tragedy.

where there is tragedy, there is opportunity 

Hogg was in a school shooting not by choice

He's in the media right now 100% by choice 
Sure.  But in fairness, nobody disputes that he's sincerely motivated by a desire to eliminate school shootings.  So what's he supposed to do when there's a school shooting?  Just sit there quietly?  

Suppose I think that China is a serious threat the security of the global order in general and the Pacific rim in particular.  I'm really, really convinced that people aren't paying enough attention to China, they should view Xi as a mash-up of Winnie the Pooh and Hitler, and we need to be making plans for defending Taiwan.  If China invaded one of its neighbors, wouldn't you expect that I might chime in on that topic?   

Just glad Cameron Kasky never tried to cash in on his public image like Hogg did.

https://www.thewrap.com/kasky-hogg-good-pillow/

“I spent so much time promising people this wasn’t going to turn into a cash grab,” Kasky tweeted while Good Pillow trended and Hogg called for his 1 million followers to sign up for pre-order notifications. “I am applying my clown makeup with the shame I deserve.”

“To those of you who marched, donated, lobbied, and called for change… I’m so sorry this is what it turned into. This is embarrassing,” he wrote, before adding that he isn’t “jealous” because he was actually offered shares of the company but turned them down.

Users who are viewing this thread