What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Wilson (1 Viewer)

canofan

Footballguy
Just Curious to See some opinions with David Wilson being out for potentially a couple weeks is it worth holding onto him? I mean Andre Brown comes back in week 10 if all goes smoothly with recovery. Would it be smart to keep stashing Wilson hoping he emerges or maybe trade him or drop him for maybe a ronnie hillman or something of that sorts.

I see the bandwagon one if thats what you are talking about, I was trying to spark up a conversation on a more specific topic. Sorry if it is pointless to you

I see the bandwagon one if thats what you are talking about, I was trying to spark up a conversation on a more specific topic. Sorry if it is pointless to you
I think you're looking for the AC forum, not the SP. You're trying to ask a very specific question... e.g.

Should I drop David Wilson for Ronnie Hillman. Which isn't a Shark Pool topic.

I'm not trying to ask it specifically or I would have put it there. I am wondering what people are doing about wilson and what are there thoughts on how productive he will be when andre brown is back in the mix

I think with Jacobs looking good tonight he cemented the short yardage/GL work for the remainder of the season.

Brown/Wilson will probably split early down work with the hot hand getting more touches. Wilson was hardly involved in the passing game when Brown was out so I doubt he will have much PPR value when he comes back either.

This will go down a the biggest BUST of the season.

I thought Brown was the best play 4 weeks ago(said it in the other thread). Jacobs just proved it tonight,

Who knows. In Dynasty he is a definite hold just because you will take a huge loss on what most paid for him. In redraft, I guess it depends on how deep your benches are.

Rove! said:
The most talked about 3rd-stringer in the league...(now that Tebow is done)
Why would you waste your time lying on a message board? http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants
You actually went and found a link to the "official" depth chart? :rolleyes:
You don't need an official depth chat to realize that calling Wilson a 3rd stringer is a blatant lie.
I never thought Tebow would succeed in the league. There is no comparison between an inaccurate QB and David Wilson. It all comes down to vitriol. Save your breath Wilson haters. There will be many years where David Wilson is one of the top ten rbs in the league, regardless of how bad the oline, Eli and the Giants D are playing in 2013.

My personal belief is that if Hynoski did not whiff on that initial block in game 1 vs the Cowboys that David Wilson would be a top ten RB right now. I will not be surprised at all if they let David Wilson ride with the ball in the lost second half of this season. If there is no shot at the playoffs, they may as well just give this guy enough carries to be a confident veteran in 2014. There is just no point in talking about it anymore because of the haters with a small mind.

This season is not defining David Wilson's career. This is a snapshot in time for 2013 and many people will be eating crow when the time is right.

David Wilson told reporters Friday doctors fear he suffers from spinal stenosis, and may miss the season's remainder.

He's got bigger problems than the rest of this year, if the initial diagnosis is true. Wilson will get a second opinion on his neck/spine Monday. Spinal stenosis has been known to shorten NFL careers, like that of former Redskins LT Chris Samuels. The 32nd overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft, Wilson has rushed 115 times for 504 yards (4.4 YPC) and five touchdowns through two NFL seasons. He led the NFL in kickoff return yardage as a rookie last year.

this sounds bad

David Wilson told reporters Friday doctors fear he suffers from spinal stenosis, and may miss the season's remainder.

He's got bigger problems than the rest of this year, if the initial diagnosis is true. Wilson will get a second opinion on his neck/spine Monday. Spinal stenosis has been known to shorten NFL careers, like that of former Redskins LT Chris Samuels. The 32nd overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft, Wilson has rushed 115 times for 504 yards (4.4 YPC) and five touchdowns through two NFL seasons. He led the NFL in kickoff return yardage as a rookie last year.

this sounds bad
That sounds A LOT bad

I hate it when I agree with Touch down there....
You think that one play is the difference between where he is now and being a top ten RB?
I think that had he not fumbled in that game that we would have very different results right now...
If I had one negative review of David Wilson, it is his "mental strength". After that fumble, which was Whiffnoski's fault, DW was mind f'ed. This led to the additional fumble in that game and to Wilson carrying the ball like a middle school-er the next few games. It slowed down his speed, affected his mind, and gave old man Coughlin someone to dog. The same coaching strategy does not work for all players. The best coaches know how to connect with players and improve their self-confidence.

That one fumble led to a chain reaction.

You think that one play is the difference between where he is now and being a top ten RB?
I think that had he not fumbled in that game that we would have very different results right now...
If I had one negative review of David Wilson, it is his "mental strength". After that fumble, which was Whiffnoski's fault, DW was mind f'ed. This led to the additional fumble in that game and to Wilson carrying the ball like a middle school-er the next few games. It slowed down his speed, affected his mind, and gave old man Coughlin someone to dog. The same coaching strategy does not work for all players. The best coaches know how to connect with players and improve their self-confidence.

Agreed. And THIS was my exact criticism of Coughlin. Not so much his misuse of Wilson in the gamelan. More so his ability to completely destroy the kids confidence at every turn in point.

Imagine if Minnesota's coaches reacted like Coughlin every time Peterson fumbled. Peterson never would have seen the field.

I see this has already turned into an excuse making thread.

Shouldn't a starting RB with his "talent" have bit of mental toughness? If you don't, you don't make it in the NFL.

GordonGekko said:
While it's not very well publicized, Tom Coughlin is a notorious grudge holder. Sadly that thing kind of goes hand in hand with a control freak/micro manager type. While he had to curb some of that because he was alienating his players, he has had, from what I've heard around the college ranks, a long standing beef with Frank Beemer.

From what I've gathered though different contacts, apparently when Boston College hired Coughlin, good old Tom apparently wanted to play a game of "How Bad Do You Want Me?" as it was very clear that Coughlin very badly wanted the Boston College head coaching gig. Beemer apparently at the time was also courted and didn't rebuff the courtship, that Coughlin felt he should have, as Coughlin apparently did so years earlier for Beemer when Coughlin was a WR coach and seen as a coach in the rise under Bill Parcells.

From what I'm told, David Wilson and VT's Beemer are very very close and during the Wilson draft, apparently Coughlin lobbied hard for Jerry Reese to trade up and select Boston College's Luke Kuechly ( imagine him roaming at linebacker for the Giants....) and had his eye on Alshon Jeffrey. At the time, the Giants really need an infusion in a lot of different areas, including receiver and O line and linebacker has just never been a big priority for Reese.

Do I think Coughlin is a good coach? Absolutely. Do I think he understands that you probably need to coach in the pros in a much different manner than you can in college? No, not a chance. Some players respond well to being challenged. Some players you need to reach out to in a different way. Some players you need a veteran player to mentor them instead of more coaching. I think it does not help that Kevin Gilbride persists in play calling without seemingly making much consideration to his actual personnel. If your O line is having problems, you don't ask them to consistently hold their blocking past the league average. You don't force your WRs to run routes that take 5 seconds to develop when your QB has about 2 seconds before he's turf paste. Eli Manning does not do well when rattled, he doesn't have the saavy or pocket awareness of a Big Ben, so don't play call like you have Big Ben there dodging pass rushers.

I've seen a decent amount of film on Chris Snee, esp of late, and if Coughlin can be merciful to what are the bounty of deficiencies in his son-in-laws play but still throws him out there, I think he can be a bit more merciful to David Wilson. Apparently from what I heard, Steve Tisch made the call to clip Del Ray Scott the first time, because there was no valid reason to have a sub replacement level player chewing up close to 50 percent of the RB snaps.

I've said this many many times in the Shark Pool about "organizational stability" It means more than having that franchise QB1, it means more than having that elite head coach who can handle a team. Unless "All Ships Sail In The Same Direction" there is no point and no hope for that franchise. There must unit morale and unit cohesion in all facets of the franchise, from the O line to the scouting department to the front office. Eddie DeBartolo didn't want to cut Tim McKyer, he really didn't want to do it because the 49ers were, at the time perilously thin in the secondary, but everyone on the coaching staff wanted him out. They said they'd rather lose without him than win with him. The Giants should have never rostered a player that Coughlin simply did not want. On the flip side, Coughlin has to make do with what he has at the given time and place, that's a part of coaching. Like many coaches with ring pedigree, many feel they should have a large voice in personnel decisions.

Do I feel sorry for David Wilson? No. He's a professional. No one is promised opportunity in the game, when you get a little daylight, you need to make something of it, even if your coach hates you. Produce to the point where you can't be benched. Sometimes you just need to have a little Steamin' Willie Beamen in you. Wilson has to learn to drive it like he stole it. Keep all the girls creamin'. Get all the fans screamin'. Gonna defeat him? You're dreamin'

I feel sorry for Giants fans. I've been to some Giants games when I lived in NY way back and there are some true blue and hardcore fans there, some whose whole families have rooted for the Giants for generations. They deserve better than to see their team in disarray because Coughlin took that Parcells quote about picking the groceries if you are going to do the cooking a little too much to heart.
Excellent post

Shouldn't a starting RB with his "talent" have bit of mental toughness? If you don't, you don't make it in the NFL.
No, not really... the actual talent to play the game has very little to do with the players mental toughness. Some of the best players of all time have been extremely cocky with an "I'm the best there ever was and will be" type of attitude. And some are just confident. Others are confident but start to second guess themselves when coaches start to. Coughlin shouldn't be benching the kid every time he does one tiny thing wrong, he'll never get better at the small things that way. You need to just put him out there and ride him and hope he starts to pick things up. I keep hearing all these arguments about "You have to be able to protect Eli or you can't be out there. Coughlin won't risk a Eli injury just to play Wilson" which is asinine. Eli's one of the most sacked QBs in the NFL right now with or without Wilson. By that same token maybe he should just forfeit the games because the offensive linemen aren't big and strong enough to keep Eli from getting hit.

Khy said:
Touchdown There said:

Agreed. And THIS was my exact criticism of Coughlin. Not so much his misuse of Wilson in the gamelan. More so his ability to completely destroy the kids confidence at every turn in point.

Imagine if Minnesota's coaches reacted like Coughlin every time Peterson fumbled. Peterson never would have seen the field.
Don't use AP as an example. People in the SP are too stupid evidently to realize that you are using it as a comparison or illustration - rather, they believe you literally think that Wilson is as good as AP.

The most talked about 3rd-stringer in the league...(now that Tebow is done)
Why would you waste your time lying on a message board? http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants
You actually went and found a link to the "official" depth chart? :rolleyes:
You don't need an official depth chat to realize that calling Wilson a 3rd stringer is a blatant lie.
I never thought Tebow would succeed in the league. There is no comparison between an inaccurate QB and David Wilson. It all comes down to vitriol. Save your breath Wilson haters. There will be many years where David Wilson is one of the top ten rbs in the league, regardless of how bad the oline, Eli and the Giants D are playing in 2013.

My personal belief is that if Hynoski did not whiff on that initial block in game 1 vs the Cowboys that David Wilson would be a top ten RB right now. I will not be surprised at all if they let David Wilson ride with the ball in the lost second half of this season. If there is no shot at the playoffs, they may as well just give this guy enough carries to be a confident veteran in 2014. There is just no point in talking about it anymore because of the haters with a small mind.

This season is not defining David Wilson's career. This is a snapshot in time for 2013 and many people will be eating crow when the time ight.
:lmao: :Lmao: :lmao: Delusional

Last edited by a moderator:

Considering that is all an assumption, maybe we should wait a little longer to say he's got no mental grit. Just my thoughts...

Considering that is all an assumption, maybe we should wait a little longer to say he's got no mental grit. Just my thoughts...
I'm not even claiming no mental grit. But he's definitely an overly emotional kid who really loves the game and wants to win. He's in visible pain when he messes up. I'm not sure what to think of it tbh.

I'm not even claiming no mental grit. But he's definitely an overly emotional kid who really loves the game and wants to win. He's in visible pain when he messes up. I'm not sure what to think of it tbh.
My take is that he may not have the right emotional makeup for football. Being emotional isn't a big deal in every day life but a football player has to be able to let mistakes go and it seems like Wilson has trouble doing that.

I've been glancing at all these Wilson threads all season. I've felt bad for this dude since his troubles started early in the season, but I feel horrible for him right now. Hope he plays again.

I don't own him in any leagues, might explain my sympathy.

It's called poise. He doesn't have any.

Users who are viewing this thread