What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Delivery Fee Is Not A Tip (1 Viewer)

I tip the hell out of pizza drivers. You bring me food when my drunk ### can't drive somewhere to get it myself, you're damn right you're getting some extra cash.

Yes, this is basically the only situation that I ever order pizza.
Out of curiosity, what WOULD you tip a pizza delivery guy in this situation?

Never had a pizza delivered, so I have no idea. 

Because it is a non transparent price increase. 

If the pizza went up 4 dollars that is transparent pricing.

If the Pizza flyer says 19.99 still, but they add a 4 dollar delivery charge in fine print it sucks. It is like resort fees, baggage fees, etc.

When the pricing was broke apart it didnt result in a break even accounting receipt, it was a static price with a large increase in "hiding".
How is a general $4 increase 'transparent'? 

Yes, we can debate the size of the fine print for the additional fee, but the store is keeping the price of the item firm in their adverting for everyone: the people who will get in their car and pick up will pay for the price of the pizza. The people who want it delivered will pay for the same price for the pizza plus a fee for the dude to get in his car and get it. 

The 'transparent' (or lack thereof) part is that people are assuming that the delivery fee goes—in some part—to the guy delivering, which I'd bet it is not. But people who stiff the guy delivering it is taking it out on him, vs the owner.

The pizza place is hiring the guy to be there for a few bucks an hour (less than $5 I would imagine). The delivery fee is just taking the cost of that guy off the owner's overall operating cost and passing it over to you—as a matter of fact, the owner is prob making more profit off of having the fee.

As i said before if a place is charging a $5  delivery fee per order, and a delivery guy does 3 pizza stops in a 15-minute run, that's 3 x $5 delivery fee x 4 runs an hour = $60/hour just in fees. I highly doubt the delivery dude is pocketing any or all of that. And its not like the delivery guy is even using a shop-owned car, he's using his own ride with upkeep.

If you want transparent, ask the delivery guy "hey, I noticed there is a delivery fee added on. Do you get part of that? No, ok, here is my normal tip" From there you can decide if you want to keep doing business with that place or just pick it up on your own. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get the shaming part.  I have always tipped the pizza delivery guy.  I tip the people at 5 guys.  I tip for my takeout.  I tip the girl who cuts my hair.  I tip for many things that I feel deserve it based on the society we live in.  I don't even pay attention to the delivery charge.  It's usually not much.  

This thread has me cracking up though.  I've always known people were cheap, but it's mind boggling the lengths they go to.  Seeing someone who will spend $1000+ on some horrible sneakers that won't tip the pizza guy $5.  Despicable.

I bet the cheapest of the cheap are also the ones have 4+ kids for that perfect Xmas card.

That has nothing to do with my post.
Seems like it does.  I'm not cheap.  I'm also not loose with my money.  You are.  Good for you.  I don't tip 20% to every single person who makes eye contact with me. 

I don't like to pay for the same service multiple times simply because the society you live in wants me to. 

Because it is right there in the price of goods for everyone to easily see? 
But thats for the cost of the good.....if you pick it up yourself its the flat cost, if you want a service added on to bring it to you, there is a fee for that. 

I don't get my pizza delivered.  Why would I pay more money so you can? 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-fee, but I understand it and its prob the best way a place can remain profitable for that service. Again, I've said before, The pizza place has to have a guy or 2 in the store making the product. If you want the product brought to you, there needs to be another guy added to the staff, because if the guy is out hand delivering your pie, hes not in the shop making pies for others. So to offer that service, the owner has to hire 2 or more people. How much profit is in an actual pie when you factor in the cost of goods, the location costs, etc? So this is a way the shop is offering a service to you, but you need to pay for that service above what others who don't want to be delivered to . 

Seems like it does.  I'm not cheap.  I'm also not loose with my money.  You are.  Good for you.  I don't tip 20% to every single person who makes eye contact with me. 

I don't like to pay for the same service multiple times simply because the society you live in wants me to. 
Your perception and the context I'm speaking in aren't the same.  And you're also putting words in my mouth.  Carry on.

But thats for the cost of the good.....if you pick it up yourself its the flat cost, if you want a service added on to bring it to you, there is a fee for that. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-fee, but I understand it and its prob the best way a place can remain profitable for that service. Again, I've said before, The pizza place has to have a guy or 2 in the store making the product. If you want the product brought to you, there needs to be another guy added to the staff, because if the guy is out hand delivering your pie, hes not in the shop making pies for others. So to offer that service, the owner has to hire 2 or more people. How much profit is in an actual pie when you factor in the cost of goods, the location costs, etc? So this is a way the shop is offering a service to you, but you need to pay for that service above what others who don't want to be delivered to . 
Right, and the reason they offer delivery is because they sell more pizzas than the other companies that don't.  The delivery fee is fairly new.  They didn't do it before.  My guess is the new restaurant delivery companies have severely cut into their market share.  All of a sudden they aren't the only food type offering delivery. 

Whatever costs they're incurring to have the extra delivery employee are being passed on to the consumer of their product now, which is fine, BUT I shouldn't be expected to also tip at a full rate when I'm already being charged for the provided service.  Before the fee?  20%.  After?  10%.  Sorry.

Right, and the reason they offer delivery is because they sell more pizzas than the other companies that don't.  The delivery fee is fairly new.  They didn't do it before.  My guess is the new restaurant delivery companies have severely cut into their market share.  All of a sudden they aren't the only food type offering delivery. 

Whatever costs they're incurring to have the extra delivery employee are being passed on to the consumer of their product now, which is fine, BUT I shouldn't be expected to also tip at a full rate when I'm already being charged for the provided service.  Before the fee?  20%.  After?  10%.  Sorry.
so you are taking your stance out on the driver vs the owner? gotha....awesome hill to die on.

You realize that reducing your tip means nothing to the guy who set the fee....just the pimpled faced kid who is trying to scratch out some money running around handing pizzas to people who won't get off their rumps. Meanwhile, the guy who set the fee is laughing all the way to the bank. 

You could make this argument for everything. Why should i pay more to let you bring luggage? Why should i pay more for my room when i dont use wifi? Why should i pay an energy surcharge when i live right down the street? 

These fees weren't put in place to save those people money. They were put in place as hidden price increases. They allow a business to advertise lower prices, but charge higher ones.

I dislike that. 

You could make this argument for everything. Why should i pay more to let you bring luggage? Why should i pay more for my room when i dont use wifi? Why should i pay an energy surcharge when i live right down the street? 

These fees weren't put in place to save those people money. They were put in place as hidden price increases. They allow a business to advertise lower prices, but charge higher ones.

I dislike that. 
I don't disagree with you. But from the intention of the OP, people are taking their frustration out on the lowest man on the totem pole, the driver. 

You don't like the fee, that's cool. Take your business elsewhere. But at the end of the day, the delivery guy is doing the same amount of work now for less pay b/c of people who take this stance, and the only one making more money is the owner. I'm just saying that people have a right to not like it, but center your issues on where they belong, the guy who set the fee. 

so you are taking your stance out on the driver vs the owner? gotha....awesome hill to die on.

You realize that reducing your tip means nothing to the guy who set the fee....just the pimpled faced kid who is trying to scratch out some money running around handing pizzas to people who won't get off their rumps. Meanwhile, the guy who set the fee is laughing all the way to the bank. 
I'm not taking anything out on anyone.  I just refuse to pay full freight for one service twice.  If there are so many additional costs incurred with offering delivery that they have to charge for it and the driver isn't receiving any of those benefits via additional wages then his disgust should be with his boss. 

I dislike that. 
On the other hand, I love the a la carte model. I only have to pay for the goods and services I'm actually using, so do you. 

In this case I personally feel like I "tipped" 30% for the delivery service provided.  Simply because the corporate pizza place says it's not a tip doesn't mean I'm getting shamed into giving the guy another 20% on top of the fee.
"The guy" gets none of that delivery fee. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt in suggesting you were tipping $2 on a $20 item. If you're considering the delivery fee to be part of the product, you didn't even get to 10%.

I don't like the system, but it's the system we have. Taking it out on the delivery person or the wait staff isn't going to create a new system.

It's not backwards thinking. It's humane treatment of a fellow human being. It doesn't mean I'm brainwashed. It means I'm empathetic.

If you're taking advantage of the system in order to save a buck or two on delivery or service, then yes, shame on you.
Agreed and if it's lousy service you pay less.  Win/Win. 

What?

If the total bill is $20, with $3 of that being a delivery charge and you give the driver $22, the driver gets a $2 tip. The company gives the driver, maybe, $1 from that $3, and the company keeps $2. The $1 the driver gets is compensation for gas/oil.

Also, if a driver gets paid $7.50 an hour, many times when the driver goes on delivery, their wage goes down to, say, $5.50 an hour. The company assumes the driver will get bumped up to minimum with their tip. The company will do whatever it can to save as much money as they can. 

Delivery was great in the early 2000’s then some laws changed and it sucks now. 
Sounds like a great reason for the drivers to quit in protest. If that happens enough, the company will be forced to re-think their fees.

I don't disagree with you. But from the intention of the OP, people are taking their frustration out on the lowest man on the totem pole, the driver. 

You don't like the fee, that's cool. Take your business elsewhere. But at the end of the day, the delivery guy is doing the same amount of work now for less pay b/c of people who take this stance, and the only one making more money is the owner. I'm just saying that people have a right to not like it, but center your issues on where they belong, the guy who set the fee. 
This.  I don't understand the complaints personally I'd rather pay less for a pizza if I go pick it up rather than have the delivery cost built in so everyone has to pay.  And taking it out of the delivery person's tip is shameful.  That couple extra bucks likely means a lot more to him/her than to you.  Teach the business a lesson and order from somewhere else if that's how you truly feel.

Sounds like a great reason for the drivers to quit in protest.
That's the weird thing. Virtually every delivery place is desperate for drivers. The requirements to be a driver are more extensive (valid DL, personal vehicle in good operating condition) than your average Food & Bev worker, but the pay is the same. The risk to safety and property is much higher, but the pay is the same. Tips are lower than for other servers because the people being served are so much further apart, personal opinions about drivers vs. at-table servers, and confusion over issues like this delivery service... but the pay is the same.

Meanwhile, there is a higher and higher demand for drivers as more places offer delivery and the introduction of services like Uber, Lyft, and Uber Eats and other food delivery services. I'm really not sure why so many companies prefer to operate without an adequate number of drivers instead of just giving them better compensation for their services.

You don't like the fee, that's cool. Take your business elsewhere. But at the end of the day, the delivery guy is doing the same amount of work now for less pay
We are in agreement here. 

I just hate the a la carte pricing because in the end it actually costs everybody more money. 

Look at the recent disney changes. They made some days far cheaper than others. I actually read posts of people saying they liked it because they go during off peak times. 

Those people are suckers. Disney didnt make a single day cheaper than what it was previously. It was a price increase for everybody. Some people actually came out of that price increase happy because of the illusion of choice. Thats why these fees exist. If a company went to legit a la carte pricing I would be cool with it. They never do though. When they unveil the new pricing it is always more. 

I tip the hell out of pizza drivers. You bring me food when my drunk ### can't drive somewhere to get it myself, you're damn right you're getting some extra cash.

Yes, this is basically the only situation that I ever order pizza.
Double this.  I'm known for stretching my pizza dollar, so I usually pick it up.  If I have to call for delivery, it's usually because of nightmarish weather conditions or some such rot.  I'll usually tip 50% of the order in those cases.

The places that get me riled are the ones with a tip jar on the counter at a pickup place.  Come on man.  Just let me enjoy my pizza without having to go all Mr. Pink.

Users who are viewing this thread