What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Do you use a Q-Tip to clean the wax out of your ears? (1 Viewer)

Do you use a Q-Tip to clean the wax out of your ears?

• Yes

Votes: 129 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 43 25.0%

• Total voters
Once in awhile (something my wife pretty regularly). I have read it isn’t actually good to do so I only try to do it if it seems like there’s more wax than usual.

I know you are not supposed to (as my doctor told me not to)—but I’ll still use one to clean the shallower areas of my ear. For deeper cleanings, I go to the doctor and have it done with a suction method.

Pretty much daily. I try not to touch my brain with them, but sometime, you just gotta. Also do the irrigation method about once a quarter.

I actually switched over to one of those spiral rubber things they are awesome.

And I use a qtip to clean all the "folds" around the ear

Used to daily until I clogged my ear up one day where I couldn't hear. After some research, figured out we aren't supposed to do that so I quit. Have had no problems since. Just clean the outer part of your ear canal, and every once in a while let some water run into your ear when in the shower, which feels nice and softens any buildup.

I use Q-tips but not to clear wax, I gently (and shallowly) use them to get water out of my ears after a shower or swimming. I guess my canals/whatever are shaped weirdly, and just tipping my head to the side doesn't get them to drain, I have to flip upside down almost and I'm not doing that. Let the Q-tip act as a water wick and draw the water out of them, works like a charm and never had impacted wax from it.

I had a science teacher in high school that would tell all of her classes to never do this. It was like an odd obsession she had or fear that a student would lance their own eardrum on accident.

Almost every single day for the last 30 or so years. I seem to produce more wax than the average person, but have never had a problem since getting into the routine. Always after my shower when it's nice and soft and as long as I do it every day, it seems to keep it from building to the point where anything might get pushed in further.

Once in awhile (something my wife pretty regularly). I have read it isn’t actually good to do so I only try to do it if it seems like there’s more wax than usual.
My own theory - admittedly based on nothing but my own anecdotal experience and desire to justify my own routine - is that it's probably better to do often as preventative maintenance, and that doing it only when there's more buildup increases the risk of pushing the wax in and causing problems.

Not anymore.

Had a major blockage after an illness and had to go to doc where they used one of these
to clear out an ear plug

Bought one and using it ever since 🙏

Almost every single day for the last 30 or so years. I seem to produce more wax than the average person, but have never had a problem since getting into the routine. Always after my shower when it's nice and soft and as long as I do it every day, it seems to keep it from building to the point where anything might get pushed in further.
Yup I'm in this boat. I too get really waxy and tend to dig in after a shower. I have done the flush at my doctor's before and will probably ask for it next time I'm there for something just to get 'em real cleaned out.

Not anymore.

Had a major blockage after an illness and had to go to doc where they used one of these
to clear out an ear plug

Bought one and using it ever since 🙏
Ever use the candle? I've done twice and that's pretty interesting (and gross).
Tried once as kid. Everything I've read since is the wax is from the candle (and not ear) and actually winds up with debris getting into ear.
Wax on, wax off.

No Q-tips for me, but I do get a lot of wax build-up. Use Debrox and doctor irrigates it out once a year or so when start to feel impacted.

I actually switched over to one of those spiral rubber things they are awesome.

And I use a qtip to clean all the "folds" around the ear
I bought those a while ago. But I couldn’t get them to work. I use this once a month or every other. Debrox Earwax Removal Kit, Includes Drops and Ear Syringe Bulb, 0.5 Oz https://a.co/d/bPKO4Sg

I had a science teacher in high school that would tell all of her classes to never do this. It was like an odd obsession she had or fear that a student would lance their own eardrum on accident.
My wife used to scratch her ear canal with a pen. Until the dog barked one day and startled her mid-scratch…

Users who are viewing this thread