What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Delivery Fee Is Not A Tip (2 Viewers)

The additional cost is for the additional product, not the time it takes for the guy to throw it on there. 
It still an additional cost from the business that's being passed on to you. You're not being charged for the time it takes the delivery to get you your pizza, but the cost of that time.

$4 delivery fee? I have to admit Ive never seen that before. Most Ive ever seen is $1 delivery fee. If I saw a $4 delivery fee, I wouldnt order from the place. I wouldnt stiff the driver.
I've seen it with UberEats and the like, which just adds a whole other level of people trying to get some $ out of the process in terms of convenience.

It still an additional cost from the business that's being passed on to you. You're not being charged for the time it takes the delivery to get you your pizza, but the cost of that time.
If I’m buying a pizza AND the cost of having it delivered, which I am, I’m fine with that.

What I’m not fine with is the driver expecting me to pay for that delivery cost again at the same expected rate had there been no delivery fee. 

If I’m buying a pizza AND the cost of having it delivered, which I am, I’m fine with that.

What I’m not fine with is the driver expecting me to pay for that delivery cost again at the same expected rate had there been no delivery fee. 
Yeah, that's the broader tipping discussion and is why I said earlier even if there is a living wage and no tipping the delivery fee might exist, based on what you say above, you would be fine with/prefer this, right?

I never tip Uber or Lyft drivers.  No tipping was one of the selling points of ride sharing over cabs.  Pizza delivery..if it is close I will give then 2 bucks on a 20 dollar order.  Never tip for picking it up myself anywhere.

Drivers were already getting paid by their employer....it was usually minimal so they relied on your tip to maximize their income, but their weekly pay was $X from employer + $X tips.—however, the pay from the employer was factored in the prices of the original product.  

Now the company is paying the driver, plus adding a fee on top of that for the benefit of it being delivered. So their pay is not coming out of the delivery fee rather then the original product like before so they are keeping 100% of the profit from that product. 

It would be the same as if a restaurant charged you extra to have a waiter. You could come in and order but for $0 extra you can go get the food from the kitchen yourself, or for $2/per plate you can have this guy deliver it to your table. However, the $2 goes to the restaurant for the convenience of having the waiter there for you. The waiter is on his own to entertain you enough to have you cough up more money for his service. 

Also: Do you tip the UPS/Fedex/USPS guy?
those guys are making a decent living and are paid by the shipping cost. Plus they are not responsible for their fleet, and really have a whole day window to get you your package. 

A pizza you want ASAP, hot, not stuck to the top and all b/c some dude has a car and will bring it to you. 

I wouldn't leave a $5 bill on the door if a pizza guy dropped my pizza at the porch then had me checking a few times to see if it showed up. 

but the driver is just the shlub bringing it to you. The company and owner set the delivery fee.....you need to take it up with them. They added a fee and its going in their pocket, not the driver. The driver was always getting paid, fee or not, now the company just has a 'convenience charge' to recoup some—if not all and then some—of his salary. 

If you really felt strongly about it, find a pizza place who is not charging one and screwing their drivers.

but the driver is just the shlub bringing it to you. The company and owner set the delivery fee.....you need to take it up with them. They added a fee and its going in their pocket, not the driver. The driver was always getting paid, fee or not, now the company just has a 'convenience charge' to recoup some—if not all and then some—of his salary. 

If you really felt strongly about it, find a pizza place who is not charging one and screwing their drivers.
I get that.  I'm also certain the driver is aware of the fee, and the fact the company has put "delivery fee is not a tip" right on the box to guilt trip consumers into tipping their drivers above and beyond the fee.  If they are actually pocketing that fee and he feels like he's getting screwed he can find a different pizza place to work at.

I get that.  I'm also certain the driver is aware of the fee, and the fact the company has put "delivery fee is not a tip" right on the box to guilt trip consumers into tipping their drivers above and beyond the fee.  If they are actually pocketing that fee and he feels like he's getting screwed he can find a different pizza place to work at.
IDK, I find it hard to tell a guy, 'go find someplace else to work.' At that capacity, the dude is just trying to make a living and/or side cash to keep up. 

It is slimy that the company knows that people are looking at their fee as a replacement to tipping, but I don't see them saying 'lets split the delivery fee to make up for your lost income' either (they may be i doubt it) 

The 3rd side of this is that if its a small shop, maybe the delivery fee is the only way they can survive and still have a delivery option. I don't feel so strongly on it because i understand that fuel and such is expensive and if the guy is out making deliveries, he's not in the shop making pizzas. I charge my clients for any work I have to do for them outside the office, just for that reason—if I'm out doing something for them, I'm not in my office serving other clients. 

But if the delivery guy is out to say doing 3-4 pizzas, at a time, and each one is a $5 delivery fee, well that's pretty much more then his hourly rate right there. And im sure it takes less then an hour to deliver those pies. Do that run 2-3 times an hour and the owner is pocketing that money. 

The guy on the bike isn't getting paid and isn't insured?
Highly doubt he's insured. He's getting paid. 

My problem with this delivery fee is that it never existed until basically this year, which makes it feel like a squeeze/profit play more than a- oh, we have to take care of our delivery guys thing

So go pick it up next time?

I have no problems with somebody that used to order pizza from a place and would pay 20 bucks for the pizza and tip the delivery guy five bucks tipping only two bucks if the next time they ordered the pizza was 20 bucks and there was a $3 delivery fee.

However if they did the same thing the next week, that's messed up. 

Once you are made aware of the charges, the responsibility is on you to either pick it up, not order from that place, or find another place. Taking it out on the driver after that is not cool. 

So go pick it up next time?

I have no problems with somebody that used to order pizza from a place and would pay 20 bucks for the pizza and tip the delivery guy five bucks tipping only two bucks if the next time they ordered the pizza was 20 bucks and there was a $3 delivery fee.

However if they did the same thing the next week, that's messed up. 

Once you are made aware of the charges, the responsibility is on you to either pick it up, not order from that place, or find another place. Taking it out on the driver after that is not cool. 
Wouldn't the driver prefer to get my reduced rate tip, along with the company subsequently getting the delivery fee, versus nothing at all? 

I never tip Uber or Lyft drivers.  No tipping was one of the selling points of ride sharing over cabs.  Pizza delivery..if it is close I will give then 2 bucks on a 20 dollar order.  Never tip for picking it up myself anywhere.
My local pizza shop (carry out only, no tables/waitstaff) has you select a 15%, 20%, other $ amount or no tip option on their system before you can sign when paying by credit card. I’ll add a few bucks on, but 15%-20% for handing me my order and swiping my card is nuts.

Wouldn't the driver prefer to get my reduced rate tip, along with the company subsequently getting the delivery fee, versus nothing at all? 
not really, unless the fee is being split with the driver you are doing the same 'work' for less money. At some ponit, you have to look at the value of your time and effort and decide that your and everyone else's 'reduced' tip isn't worth it. 

I'm a designer and I get the "well i can't pay you much, but isn't something better than nothing" all the time and I refuse to work with those people. I could put there 'reduced' time value into fining as a client who will pay me 2x the value. Why should the pizza guy run around for 'reduced tips' when he can be doing something else to make him a fair wage?

Drivers were already getting paid by their employer....it was usually minimal so they relied on your tip to maximize their income, but their weekly pay was $X from employer + $X tips.—however, the pay from the employer was factored in the prices of the original product.  

Now the company is paying the driver, plus adding a fee on top of that for the benefit of it being delivered. So their pay is not coming out of the delivery fee rather then the original product like before so they are keeping 100% of the profit from that product. 

It would be the same as if a restaurant charged you extra to have a waiter. You could come in and order but for $0 extra you can go get the food from the kitchen yourself, or for $2/per plate you can have this guy deliver it to your table. However, the $2 goes to the restaurant for the convenience of having the waiter there for you. The waiter is on his own to entertain you enough to have you cough up more money for his service. 
Food places really should pay living wages to their employees (incl drivers). I like prices nice and transparent

not really, unless the fee is being split with the driver you are doing the same 'work' for less money. At some ponit, you have to look at the value of your time and effort and decide that your and everyone else's 'reduced' tip isn't worth it. 

I'm a designer and I get the "well i can't pay you much, but isn't something better than nothing" all the time and I refuse to work with those people. I could put there 'reduced' time value into fining as a client who will pay me 2x the value. Why should the pizza guy run around for 'reduced tips' when he can be doing something else to make him a fair wage?
Possibly the pizza guy is delivering pizza because he can't find something else. That said, delivering pizza should pay a fair wage (from his employer, not at the whim of his employer's customer)

Grahamburn said:
If you asked the driver and he said yes, then i guess youre good. 

El Floppo said:
Highly doubt he's insured. He's getting paid. 

My problem with this delivery fee is that it never existed until basically this year, which makes it feel like a squeeze/profit play more than a- oh, we have to take care of our delivery guys thing
No, the "delivery fee" has been a thing for close to a decade.  At least in the markets I've lived in.  

I worked as a delivery driver for a local wings restaurant in Austin.  There was a $2 delivery fee, which went right to us drivers.  

No, the "delivery fee" has been a thing for close to a decade.  At least in the markets I've lived in.  

I worked as a delivery driver for a local wings restaurant in Austin.  There was a $2 delivery fee, which went right to us drivers.  
No. This year, maybe last year. As I've been saying...NYC. I don't know or care what's been happening outside NYC relative to the point I made. 

I don't see the issue with delivery fee.  It is different services that you are receiving from the provider.  They could increase the price on everyone, but why should someone ordering carryout, who did not receive the benefit of the same services, pick up the cost of driver's salary/benefits, car insurance, gas, etc.?  It makes sense to impose on those benefiting from the service.

Tip is clearly different from the restaurant's internal costs.

belljr said:
Didn't even know that was a thing!
It's dope. Not the full range of Amazon products but I can order stuff today and have it at my doorstep in a couple of hours. Food, beer, electronics, clothing, household stuff, etc.

Obviously limited service areas, too. If it's over a certain amount, delivery is free but you can also tip the delivery driver as it's not a USPS/UPS/FedEx guy.

There is not a single person that works for the crappy, sub standard wage as a server or a delivery person in America that would want a standard wage and no tipping aloud. Not a single one.

I worked delivering pizza during college making $2/hour and loved it. Nothing better than cash money and zero taxes being paid, while clearing close to $20/hour 30 years ago. 

Grahamburn said:
Would you agree the corporate pizza joint offering delivery likely gets a much larger market share versus the local mom and pop that doesn’t?

Those costs are offset simply by making delivery an option. 
I'm not sure.  My guess is that people that decide to order pizza from large corporate chains generally do so because they are motivated by value and convenience--some of these pizza chains are offering Pizzas at $5-6 each if you order at least 2 of them.etc.  I'd imagine that if somebody ordered 2-3 of those pizzas for a total of $12-18--by the time the company calculated the cost of the pizzas, the cost of the employee time it took to place, process+deliver the order--- they are probably barely breaking even on delivery orders of that nature.   For me--its no different than how gas stations charge more for gallon if you pay via credit card versus paying cash.  One form of payment costs them an additional 2% in fees so they reflect it in the price.    In the case of a pizza joint--one type of order forces them to incur a few dollars of additional costs that a "tip" has nothing to do with.  

There is not a single person that works for the crappy, sub standard wage as a server or a delivery person in America that would want a standard wage and no tipping aloud. Not a single one.

I worked delivering pizza during college making $2/hour and loved it. Nothing better than cash money and zero taxes being paid, while clearing close to $20/hour 30 years ago. 
That only works as long as people are stupid enough to tip

Grahamburn said:
How is that different from any other service a company provides that they have an employee for?  If they're including the cost of that service in the fee then why am I also expected to tip?

Pizza was $20.  They charged me a $4 delivery fee.  I gave the guy an additional $2.  He rolled his eyes at me.  Sorry your life sucks, pal. 
So a guy put wear-and-tear on his personal vehicle, braved weather and traffic and whatever else (put himself and his personal vehicle at risk), personally brought the food you requested to your home... and you only intended to give him 10%, likely fully aware that as a tipped employee he was earning less than minimum wage?!?

I agree with others that the tipping custom is a terrible one, but until that custom changes if you choose to take advantage of the services of a tipped employee, you should properly compensate that person. If you don't want to tip or you don't want to provide a decent tip, you should get off your butt and get your own pizza.

Just curious, what percentage would you tip a waitress at a restaurant?

Last edited by a moderator:
Grahamburn said:
Usually the driver is working at a reduced wage, sometimes shockingly low (for instance making ~$9/hr. in the store compared to ~$3.50 on the road).

So a guy put wear-and-tear on his personal vehicle, braved weather and traffic and whatever else (put himself and his personal vehicle at risk), personally brought the food you requested to your home... and you only intended to give him 10%, likely fully aware that as a tipped employee he was earning less than minimum wage?!?

I agree with others that the tipping custom is a terrible one, but until that custom changes if you choose to take advantage of the services of a tipped employee, you should properly compensate that person. If you don't want to tip or you don't want to provide a decent tip, you should get off your butt and get your own pizza.

See... this is the type of backward thinking that the current institution has brainwashed many into. The shame and blame is directed toward customers instead of the employer, where it belongs.
We see this in every single thread relating to tipping.

See... this is the type of backward thinking that the current institution has brainwashed many into. The shame and blame is directed toward customers instead of the employer, where it belongs.
We see this in every single thread relating to tipping.
I don't like the system, but it's the system we have. Taking it out on the delivery person or the wait staff isn't going to create a new system.

It's not backwards thinking. It's humane treatment of a fellow human being. It doesn't mean I'm brainwashed. It means I'm empathetic.

If you're taking advantage of the system in order to save a buck or two on delivery or service, then yes, shame on you.

Summer Wheat said:
13 likes with around 1200 posts seems accurate.  

So much truth in this post. I would have never traded no tipping and higher wage for lower wage plus tips when I bartended. Not a chance.

Some of you guys are funny. 

The idea of a delivery fee can be annoying, sure, but in the end, it's just a part of the total cost of whatever you're ordering.  I don't understand why seeing the cost broken down is what bothers some people.

If a pizza is $10 and there's a $4 delivery fee, then the pizza costs $14. What's the difference compared to another place that doesn't charge a delivery fee but charges $14 for the pizza anyway? If the other place is cheaper, then do what you do for anything else. Choose where to take your business. Maybe one pizza is better than the other or it's faster or whatever. If the total cost is more than I want to pay, then I'm doing business elsewhere or not at all. Want to save a few bucks?  Go pick it up. 

I mean, some other countries charge just to sit down at a table. They charge for the water you drink.

But a tip is completely separate from the delivery fee. How you tip a delivery person is up to you, but in the US, it's an accepted and expected practice. 

Some of you guys are funny. 

The idea of a delivery fee can be annoying, sure, but in the end, it's just a part of the total cost of whatever you're ordering.  I don't understand why seeing the cost broken down is what bothers some people.

If a pizza is $10 and there's a $4 delivery fee, then the pizza costs $14. What's the difference compared to another place that doesn't charge a delivery fee but charges $14 for the pizza anyway? If the other place is cheaper, then do what you do for anything else. Choose where to take your business. Maybe one pizza is better than the other or it's faster or whatever. If the total cost is more than I want to pay, then I'm doing business elsewhere or not at all. Want to save a few bucks?  Go pick it up. 

I mean, some other countries charge just to sit down at a table. They charge for the water you drink.

But a tip is completely separate from the delivery fee. How you tip a delivery person is up to you, but in the US, it's an accepted and expected practice. 
Because it is a non transparent price increase. 

If the pizza went up 4 dollars that is transparent pricing.

If the Pizza flyer says 19.99 still, but they add a 4 dollar delivery charge in fine print it sucks. It is like resort fees, baggage fees, etc.

When the pricing was broke apart it didnt result in a break even accounting receipt, it was a static price with a large increase in "hiding".

In this case I personally feel like I "tipped" 30% for the delivery service provided.  Simply because the corporate pizza place says it's not a tip doesn't mean I'm getting shamed into giving the guy another 20% on top of the fee.

At a restaurant or bar I'll start at 20% and go up or down depending on the quality of the service.  If that restaurant or bar was adding a delivery fee to my bill for bringing me food or drinks I would also adjust accordingly. 

So much truth in this post. I would have never traded no tipping and higher wage for lower wage plus tips when I bartended. Not a chance.
We had a fine dining restaurant in town recently with a staunch no tipping policy.  They paid their servers/bartenders a salary and benefits and rolled those costs into the pricing for their food and drinks.  They're out of business. 

We had a fine dining restaurant in town recently with a staunch no tipping policy.  They paid their servers/bartenders a salary and benefits and rolled those costs into the pricing for their food and drinks.  They're out of business. 
This isn't surprising.

It is not.  This pizza company is attempting to do the same thing while also simultaneously shaming customers into tipping on top of covering their costs. 
I don't get the shaming part.  I have always tipped the pizza delivery guy.  I tip the people at 5 guys.  I tip for my takeout.  I tip the girl who cuts my hair.  I tip for many things that I feel deserve it based on the society we live in.  I don't even pay attention to the delivery charge.  It's usually not much.  

This thread has me cracking up though.  I've always known people were cheap, but it's mind boggling the lengths they go to.  Seeing someone who will spend $1000+ on some horrible sneakers that won't tip the pizza guy $5.  Despicable.

Users who are viewing this thread