What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Denver RB rumors (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_4969516

Denver will need a bigger back and could look for a veteran. One intriguing possibility, if the Bears want to trade him, could be former Texas star Cedric Benson. But his availability is unclear. Ricky Williams will be back in the NFL, and the Broncos were interested in him last year. But he could stay with the Dolphins. Baltimore's Jamal Lewis, who talked with Denver last year, might be available again. The Redskins may shop former Broncos star Clinton Portis, but he could be pricey and he has a huge contract. Watch for the Broncos to look at a back early in the draft.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_4969516

Denver will need a bigger back and could look for a veteran. One intriguing possibility, if the Bears want to trade him, could be former Texas star Cedric Benson. But his availability is unclear. Ricky Williams will be back in the NFL, and the Broncos were interested in him last year. But he could stay with the Dolphins. Baltimore's Jamal Lewis, who talked with Denver last year, might be available again. The Redskins may shop former Broncos star Clinton Portis, but he could be pricey and he has a huge contract. Watch for the Broncos to look at a back early in the draft.
I can't see Benson happening at all. If anything it will be TJ, I can't see the reason for dealing Benson at this point. Ricky Williams? who knows?

Jamal? He could be productive but he's jumped the shark IMO. He just doesn't seem to have the quickness and explosion that he did.

Portis ain't happening.

I don't get the "bigger back" comment, as Mike Bell seems big enough. I can certainly understand "better back", but those guys mentioned don't seem to be likely options.

Every week a writer in the Denver Post writes an article just throwing names out that Shanhan would like. This does not make it a "rumor" and it also doesn't make it "reasonable". The idea that Shanahan is going to completely reverse his philosophy on RB's and start trading for Clinton Portis, Cedric Benson, etc. is pretty ridiculous.

Every week a writer in the Denver Post writes an article just throwing names out that Shanhan would like. This does not make it a "rumor" and it also doesn't make it "reasonable". The idea that Shanahan is going to completely reverse his philosophy on RB's and start trading for Clinton Portis, Cedric Benson, etc. is pretty ridiculous.
Explain this part please.How will trading for a RB reverse his philosophy? In case you forgot Denver was in the market for a RB and almost signed Jamal last year (they offered him a contract but he took the Baltimore deal and a Denver reporter later mentioned that Denver offered a better deal but Jamal decided to stay in Baltimore), and prior to Ricky Williams getting caught smoking again they were about to sign him as well (or at least were openly talking about it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Explain this part please.How will trading for a RB reverse his philosophy? In case you forgot Denver was in the market for a RB and almost signed Jamal last year (they offered him a contract but he took the Baltimore deal and a Denver reporter later mentioned that Denver offered a better deal but Jamal decided to stay in Baltimore), and prior to Ricky Williams getting caught smoking again they were about to sign him as well (or at least were openly talking about it).
I think he is saying that Shanahan has had some talented backs like Clinton Portis who flourished in Denver and Shanahan let him go...or traded him away. I am not saying it was or wasn't a good trade but it seems like Denver looks to the drafts so they can fill that role on the team using a minimum amount of $$$. They don't seem to like to pay big dollars for RB. That's just how it appears to many.

I think he is saying that Shanahan has had some talented backs like Clinton Portis who flourished in Denver and Shanahan let him go...or traded him away. I am not saying it was or wasn't a good trade but it seems like Denver looks to the drafts so they can fill that role on the team using a minimum amount of $$$. They don't seem to like to pay big dollars for RB. That's just how it appears to many.
I am almost 100% that Tatum will not be the starter next year, and a good chance he won't even be a Bronco. Denver will make a move in FA or the draft to get their future RB. Shanny has his QB, WR's, and probably TE. He knows the missing link on offense is a RB and he will get it ASAP.

I am almost 100% that Tatum will not be the starter next year, and a good chance he won't even be a Bronco. Denver will make a move in FA or the draft to get their future RB. Shanny has his QB, WR's, and probably TE. He knows the missing link on offense is a RB and he will get it ASAP.
If that's the case, they'll likely have to get one via the rookie draft. There doesn't seem to be any strong UFA options out there, and I doubt they'd get Turner from SD.

If that's the case, they'll likely have to get one via the rookie draft. There doesn't seem to be any strong UFA options out there, and I doubt they'd get Turner from SD.
I agree but Denver may be interested in Jamal should he be a FA, and one of the Chicago RB's should they be available. I also wouldn't rule out Ricky as I'd say his chances of going to Denver are better then anybody else outside of Miami.

I agree but Denver may be interested in Jamal should he be a FA, and one of the Chicago RB's should they be available. I also wouldn't rule out Ricky as I'd say his chances of going to Denver are better then anybody else outside of Miami (pot is allowed in small quantities hence the huge California migration...lol).

They already have their starting RB: Mike Bell. They guy was not bad at all this year. With an offseason to improve on his shortcomings, it would be a waste of money to bring in someone else. If they give Bell a chance I think you'll see a big improvement from year 1 to year 2.

Man, how far has Kevan Barlow's stock dropped?

It used to be a lock that he'd be mentioned within the first three posts of any Denver RB thread.

They already have their starting RB: Mike Bell. They guy was not bad at all this year. With an offseason to improve on his shortcomings, it would be a waste of money to bring in someone else. If they give Bell a chance I think you'll see a big improvement from year 1 to year 2.
My guess would be less than 50% that he will be their starter next year. Unless he can improve substantially on his short yardage ability, increase his speed and power I don't see him being the starter. Mike Bell had the job, lost it and got it back due to Tatum's inuries/fumbling/ineffectiveness. He had 1 100 yard game (vs. Indy, who didn't) and other than that he was pretty much a grinder and not a great one.On the roster - yes, starter - no

Denver should save their yearly RB draft pick and just trade for a real RB that can take some pressure off their franchise QB Jay Cutler.

The Bells' are not the answer.

the RB's that the Broncos are most likely targeting (in no particular order)

Ryan Moats

Ricky Williams

Cedric Benson (rumored Thomas Jones deal last year)

Thomas Jones might be a real possibility here, since he will enter the final year of his contract next year, and Benson has done very well in the 2nd half of the year and should be ready to take over as starter after one more year of training camp. Also, A Peterson has always been a solid back up, and there are plenty of RBs every year in the draft that the Bears can get on the 2nd day as the RB3 on their roster. BY trading TJ in his final year, there is no concern of signing bonus getting escalated to that year either. Though one problem would be that TJ is more of a dance type of RB while Shanny wants a straight ahead RB.

the RB's that the Broncos are most likely targeting (in no particular order)Ryan MoatsRicky WilliamsCedric Benson (rumored Thomas Jones deal last year)
Don't really see this happening.Moats - not any better or bigger than what they haveWilliams - are you going to bank your season on a guy who could be suspended at any given time.Benson - I think its more likely that Chicago would give up TJ before Cedric.

Paging Kit Fisto, Kit Fisto... Kit Fisto to the Denver RB thread.

Chris Brown

Thomas Jones

Ricky Williams

Mike Bell

1st round rookie

It's way to ealry in the offseason to have this discussion. I'll be back in June/July to try and figure this out.

The running back situation in denver will not stabilize till shanny is gone. He's like a kid in a candy store when it comes to runninbacks and he will never be satisfied.

The running back situation in denver will not stabilize till shanny is gone. He's like a kid in a candy store when it comes to runninbacks and he will never be satisfied.
Too true, but being spoiled by the presence of Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis will do that to a coach.

Hmmmm.... Kevan Barlow?

Likely to be cut by the Jets, will probably come cheap, and we kept hearing that Shanahan likes Barlow. Guess we might find out if it was true or not.

Hmmmm.... Kevan Barlow?Likely to be cut by the Jets, will probably come cheap, and we kept hearing that Shanahan likes Barlow. Guess we might find out if it was true or not.
That was a comment from way back when Barlow was drafted. It has zero relevance all these years later. Barlow is a slow, mouthy turd with no work ethic and a boatload of excuses why he sucks. Forget him.

Denver should save their yearly RB draft pick and just trade for a real RB that can take some pressure off their franchise QB Jay Cutler.

The Bells' are not the answer.
One of the Bells ran for 677 yards a 4.3 yard average and 8 tds in part time play. I'm not so sure that Bell can't produce given the job full time.

Wouldn't a run a Michael Turner make some sense? They could put a hurting on a divison rival and also lock up a quality RB, with both speed and power. It would cost them some dough - but SD would have a hard time matching a decent offer for a backup. :lmao:

Wouldn't a run a Michael Turner make some sense? They could put a hurting on a divison rival and also lock up a quality RB, with both speed and power. It would cost them some dough - but SD would have a hard time matching a decent offer for a backup. :lmao:
If you consider giving SD a 1st and a 3rd to be "hurting them" then I guess. The Chargers would be unwilling to trade Turner at a discount (compared to the 1st/3rd tender) to any division rival.

Wouldn't a run a Michael Turner make some sense? They could put a hurting on a divison rival and also lock up a quality RB, with both speed and power. It would cost them some dough - but SD would have a hard time matching a decent offer for a backup. :shrug:
No way. SD will give him a first round tender and Denver would be incredibly stupid to give a division rival a first rounder to a division rival for their backup RB.

Users who are viewing this thread