What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did AOC Truly fear "GOP lawmakers would lead rioters to her" (1 Viewer)

No because I believe in the principle of equal treatment for all people. It is one of the most important concepts in our system.  

And it was the only incident thst happened.  On the flip side, we could characterize the event as cops shooting unarmed protesters, since there was one.  Would that be a fair way to characterize the event?  It is pure spin/dishonesty to look at one isolated thing and use that to generalized what happened that day.  
It is not one isolated incident though. Not even close. Have you watched the videos of this event? 

So let's say a group of guys storm a bank, break the windows, kill a guard while yelling, "this is my bank!"  They then enter the vault, but don't actually take any money.   Finally, the cops finally convince them to leave relatively peacefully.

Should those guys be charged with vandalism? Or bank robbery?

It is not one isolated incident though. Not even close. Have you watched the videos of this event? 
I have seen far more violence at other events.  I have only seen a few videos of violence here.  At an event this large, the coverage determines the perception of what happened.  The media can choose to focus the coverage at the tiny minority of actors who were there for violence, or they could look at the tens of thousands of other people who remained peaceful.  The fact is, the coverage is completely dependant on whether the media is sympathetic to the cause or not. 

I have seen far more violence at other events.  I have only seen a few videos of violence here.  At an event this large, the coverage determines the perception of what happened.  The media can choose to focus the coverage at the tiny minority of actors who were there for violence, or they could look at the tens of thousands of other people who remained peaceful.  The fact is, the coverage is completely dependant on whether the media is sympathetic to the cause or not. 
So it's the media's fault that a police officer was killed by a riotous mob?  Or that a woman died because she refused to obey orders from police that were directly protecting the lives of members of Congress?

So it's the media's fault that a police officer was killed by a riotous mob?  Or that a woman died because she refused to obey orders from police that were directly protecting the lives of members of Congress?
I never blamed the media, i despise biased coverage and false narratives.  Had it been a black unarmed protestor who was shot, the story of the day would be a damand for an investigation and questioning whether they had really needed to shoot her.  The story the country was told and reality were two completely different things.  

It was not an attack.  
If I understand that posted twitter thread correctly then this was an attack before Trump even spoke finished speaking at his rally.  If I understood the mob was pushing through and actively fighting police at an outer gate an hour or two before anyone was paying attention. 

If you want to process this even you don't need to necessarily exaggerate what happened such as what you claim the media is doing, but you certainly should not be trivializing it which you are most certainly guilty of doing.   And no amount of someone else trivializing the events of this summer changes this.  And by trivializing what happened you are most certainly not treating the participants equally.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I never blamed the media, i despise biased coverage and false narratives.  Had it been a black unarmed protestor who was shot, the story of the day would be a damand for an investigation and questioning whether they had really needed to shoot her.  The story the country was told and reality were two completely different things.  
1000%!  The bleeding hearts would have been extolling the victim's virtues.  But, because it was a white woman - and a conservative to boot - they got what they deserved.

Now, I disagree with what happened on the 6th and I do happen to believe you kind of get what you deserve when you riot - whether its BLM/Antifa or Trump supporters but let's not pretend things are being treated equally here.

So let's say a group of guys storm a bank, break the windows, kill a guard while yelling, "this is my bank!"  They then enter the vault, but don't actually take any money.   Finally, the cops finally convince them to leave relatively peacefully.

Should those guys be charged with vandalism? Or bank robbery?
Attempted bank robbery. 

1000%!  The bleeding hearts would have been extolling the victim's virtues.  But, because it was a white woman - and a conservative to boot - they got what they deserved.

Now, I disagree with what happened on the 6th and I do happen to believe you kind of get what you deserve when you riot - whether its BLM/Antifa or Trump supporters but let's not pretend things are being treated equally here.
So now you want equality? Updating my notebook. 

Just horsing around.  Vandalism only. 
An internet threat on social media?  Lol.  There are thousands of those every day.  Is there even one shread of evidence he actually tried to carry it out?  Thousands of people would be behind bars on a daily basis if charges were pressed based on some social media threat. 

Now the Qanon dudes are on the deep end of the conspiracy nuts, so there is something to watch.  But to use what one nut posted on social media as some kind of evidence that there was some grand plan to assassinate people is ignorance.  There was no conspiracy or attempt to assassinate anyone.  

An internet threat on social media?  Lol.  There are thousands of those every day.  Is there even one shread of evidence he actually tried to carry it out?  Thousands of people would be behind bars on a daily basis if charges were pressed based on some social media threat. 

Now the Qanon dudes are on the deep end of the conspiracy nuts, so there is something to watch.  But to use what one nut posted on social media as some kind of evidence that there was some grand plan to assassinate people is ignorance.  There was no conspiracy or attempt to assassinate anyone.  
I guess the justice department disagrees with you. 

He traveled from Texas to DC and broke into the capitol.  I'm going to answer............................yes?

Guy posts on social media that he's going to rob the bank on Central Ave. to "take back what belongs to the people."

He heads there and breaks into the building despite the security guards present.  He then leaves the bank after trashing the place but steals no money.  What should he be charged with? Vandalism?  Or attempted robbery?

Cuz I'm pretty sure the excuse of, "it's just social media," doesn't mean it's not evidence of his motive. 

They are agressively pursuing cases they normally would not because of the political magnifying glass this is under.  
I am guessing that anyone who tweets they intend to assassinate a sitting member of congress would have found themselves being aggressively pursued by law enforcement agencies before Jan 6. At the very least, there would have been a visit from the FBI or another federal agency. 

jon_mx said:
Which is probably why you have seen far more violence at other events too. 

The Proud Boys reject assertions that they are white supremacist, anti-Semitic, racist or fascist. "I'm pretty brown. I am Cuban. There is nothing white supremacist about me," Tarrio told Insider. He sees himself, above all, as a conservative. "I think that conservatism is what will save America," he said. The Proud Boys are just a "group of guys that hang out and drink beer together and just have a good time", he told Heavy. "Obviously, we're a political group, but that’s secondary in nature."

But on social media the picture looks completely different. On his personal accounts, Tarrio denigrates, among others, transgender people and said that the African-American actress Leslie Jones looked like a "monkey". In 2018, his Twitter profile was suspended. The Southern Poverty Law Center classifies the Proud Boys as a general hate group known for anti-Muslim and misogynistic rhetoric.

Just to join the group requires violence. Any man who wants to be a Proud Boy must pass four initiation rites: utter the phrase “I am a Western Chauvinist and I refuse to apologise for creating the modern world, and we call ourselves ‘the Proud Boys’", name five brands of cereals while being beaten up, get a tattoo of the Proud Boys logo, renounce masturbation and participate in fights with extreme left-wing groups. Tarrio accomplished the fourth step by punching someone he believed to be a member of Antifa in the face in June 2018. He then climbed the ladder in the organisation until becoming its leader that November. The New York Times estimates the group has between 1,000 and 3,000 members.
No wonder they're so angry all the time...

There were plenty of white supremacists at the protest. I imagine you saw the Auschwitz guy getting arrested? Others involved were part of The Three Percenters, The Oath Keepers, Proud Boys, Texas Freedom Force, to name a few.

Now, does that mean that it was a white supremacist insurrection? That night be taking it too far, but there certainly was a taste of it
I don't think you guys know what "White Supremacy" means.  The Proud Boys are led by a Mexican American.  They have members that are black, mexican and all other kinds of ethnicities.   

How do you reconcile that and continue to call them "White Supremacists"?
Canada gets it

The House of Commons has passed a motion to designate the Proud Boys a terrorist entity

Founded by Canadian Gavin McInnes, the Proud Boys are a right-wing group that is unapologetically misogynist and increasingly linked to white supremacy and hate.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/01/25/house-passes-motion-to-designate-proud-boys-a-terrorist-entity/

Canada gets it

The House of Commons has passed a motion to designate the Proud Boys a terrorist entity

Founded by Canadian Gavin McInnes, the Proud Boys are a right-wing group that is unapologetically misogynist and increasingly linked to white supremacy and hate.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/01/25/house-passes-motion-to-designate-proud-boys-a-terrorist-entity/
Apparently we do not have domestic terrorism laws in the us - let’s get those and start the designations.

force those clowns back into their holes

Apparently we do not have domestic terrorism laws in the us - let’s get those and start the designations.

force those clowns back into their holes
Yeah, that is the stumbling block to labeling them terrorists (not sure the reasoning behind that).

We should create more federal laws that criminalize ideological behavior.  I really don't see any way that this might end badly.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Guy posts on social media that he's going to rob the bank on Central Ave. to "take back what belongs to the people."

He heads there and breaks into the building despite the security guards present.  He then leaves the bank after trashing the place but steals no money.  What should he be charged with? Vandalism?  Or attempted robbery?

Cuz I'm pretty sure the excuse of, "it's just social media," doesn't mean it's not evidence of his motive. 
Depends. City? Demographics?

In some cities the charges would probably be dropped or not even pursued if they wore BLM shirts. 

Canada gets it

Once again, how do you call them white supremacists if their leader is a Cuban-American and they have all kinds of ethnicities in their ranks?  It doesn't make sense, does it?

I don't care what Canada does - they're no better than the democrats here in the US.  Demonize and Gaslight the opposition. 

Answer my question.   And think about how you're being led and force-fed agendas.

Once again, how do you call them white supremacists if their leader is a Cuban-American and they have all kinds of ethnicities in their ranks?  It doesn't make sense, does it?

I don't care what Canada does - they're no better than the democrats here in the US.  Demonize and Gaslight the opposition. 

Answer my question.   And think about how you're being led and force-fed agendas.
OK, if it makes you feel better to defend a group that has dudes who wear 6 million wasn't enough shirts, le't just stick with "domestic terrorist".

And I love how you call a unanimous canadian vote, which includes all sorts of conservative voices, as "no better than democrats".

OK, if it makes you feel better to defend a group that has dudes who wear 6 million wasn't enough shirts, le't just stick with "domestic terrorist".

And I love how you call a unanimous canadian vote, which includes all sorts of conservative voices, as "no better than democrats".
Was that really the Proud Boys?  Or is that what your media is telling you?  That's what I'm asking - dig deeper than just the headlines.

And you haven't answered my question - how can a group led by a Cuban-American that includes Blacks, Mexicans and many other nationalities be "White Supremacist"?  Think about the reality vs what you're being told.

I'm assuming you're evading answering the question because you're afraid of what you might find.

Being a white supremacist is based on one's beliefs, not one's skin color or ethnic background. 

Not sure if this goes here or somewhere else but.....

A Texas man facing federal charges linked to the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol is apologizing for taking part in the storming of the Capitol and for threatening Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and a Capitol Police officer.

Garret Miller released a statement on Monday through his attorney claiming that he stormed the Capitol after becoming convinced by Donald Trump’s election fraud lies. The 34-year-old Miller had previously tweeted “Assassinate AOC” and threatened a Capitol Police officer who fatally shot a fellow rioter.

“I am ashamed of my comments,” Miller’s statement read. “I was in Washington, D.C. on January 6, 2021, because I believed I was following the instructions of former President Trump and he was my president and the commander-in-chief. His statements also had me believing the election was stolen from him.”

“Nevertheless, I fully recognize Joe Biden is now the President of the United States and that the election is over. Donald Trump is no longer president and I would not have any reason to continue to follow his lead.”

As for his threats against the officer and the New York lawmaker, Miller said: “While I never intended to harm Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez nor harm any members of the Capitol police force, I recognize that my social media posts were completely inappropriate.”

“I want to publicly apologize to Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez and the Capitol police officers. I have always supported law enforcement and I am ashamed by my comments,” he added.

During an Instagram Live last week, Ocasio-Cortez said that a “close encounter” led her to fear she was “going to die” during the insurrection. It is not clear if the person she was referring to was Miller. As of Monday evening, she hadn’t commented on Miller’s apology.

:coffee:

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Not sure if this goes here or somewhere else but.....

A Texas man facing federal charges linked to the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol is apologizing for taking part in the storming of the Capitol and for threatening Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and a Capitol Police officer.

Garret Miller released a statement on Monday through his attorney claiming that he stormed the Capitol after becoming convinced by Donald Trump’s election fraud lies. The 34-year-old Miller had previously tweeted “Assassinate AOC” and threatened a Capitol Police officer who fatally shot a fellow rioter.

“I am ashamed of my comments,” Miller’s statement read. “I was in Washington, D.C. on January 6, 2021, because I believed I was following the instructions of former President Trump and he was my president and the commander-in-chief. His statements also had me believing the election was stolen from him.”

“Nevertheless, I fully recognize Joe Biden is now the President of the United States and that the election is over. Donald Trump is no longer president and I would not have any reason to continue to follow his lead.”

As for his threats against the officer and the New York lawmaker, Miller said: “While I never intended to harm Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez nor harm any members of the Capitol police force, I recognize that my social media posts were completely inappropriate.”

“I want to publicly apologize to Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez and the Capitol police officers. I have always supported law enforcement and I am ashamed by my comments,” he added.

During an Instagram Live last week, Ocasio-Cortez said that a “close encounter” led her to fear she was “going to die” during the insurrection. It is not clear if the person she was referring to was Miller. As of Monday evening, she hadn’t commented on Miller’s apology.

:coffee:
Let's hope there's a lot of people that supported the insurrection but didn't storm the building that feel the same way.  I'll believe it when I see the polls showing a change in opinion.  Until then, it seems only the threat of prison will get through to some folks.

Sorry for not getting to this sooner, do you have a link to the story?
No...because it was a false statement as has been pointed out several times.  Bringing up the 5 dallas cops and proclaiming it was BLM/Antifa is false as seen in the article below...saying it was Biden Supporters is an even more false (since the shooter was killed by police that day long before Biden was running to have such support).

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2016/07/07/shots-fired-protest-dallas/1PrIf4FU4gOojlF9PTaaRN/story.html

And there are many articles out there that talk to the police chief and those who state the same things...he was mad at BLM, he was mad at protests, he was mad at cops and white people.  A disturbed angry individual.

sho nuff said:
No...because it was a false statement as has been pointed out several times.  Bringing up the 5 dallas cops and proclaiming it was BLM/Antifa is a lie...saying it was Biden Supporters is an even bigger lie (since the shooter was killed by police).

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2016/07/07/shots-fired-protest-dallas/1PrIf4FU4gOojlF9PTaaRN/story.html

And there are many articles out there that talk to the police chief and those who state the same things...he was mad at BLM, he was mad at protests, he was mad at cops and white people.  A disturbed angry individual.
Yeah, bringing up the dallas cops isnt a great link to biden. Several police officers were shot over the summer. They may not have died hours later due to a stroke(possibly related to a medical condition), but that hardly seems like something to hinge the judgment of the associated behaviors on. 

Yeah, bringing up the dallas cops isnt a great link to biden. Several police officers were shot over the summer. They may not have died hours later due to a stroke(possibly related to a medical condition), but that hardly seems like something to hinge the judgment of the associated behaviors on. 
Well...bringing up any other situation as a whatabout is pretty bad...mostly done as attempts to minimize what did happen on January 6th.

Its ok to admit it was bad...really bad...without saying "but what about BLM".

Because despite a lot of the claims I have seen made in this thread...most here, almost all, were universally against any violence this summer.  People on this board are against looting...against violence towards police and others.  Period.  I cannot think of a poster who was for that violence at all.

Users who are viewing this thread