What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did FWP cement the job next year? (1 Viewer)

Highway Robbery

Footballguy
FWP just had a great Super Bowl, and he racked up 1200 yards this season getting better every game.

But did FWP do what it takes this year to get him the gig for next yer with Bettis leaving?

- Will they draft White if available or another guy?

- Will they retain Duce and expand his role and platoon the two.

- Will they sign another FA RB?

I think they will renogotiate with Duce and have him fill the Bettis role. Haynes will be the same as this year. How FWP can grow and improve during the offseason will determine the rest.

The Steeler brass, including Cowher, love FWP. I think he's their #1 RB for 2006, without question.

Remember, he is still learning how to be a RB at this level. I think he's only going to get better.

No. He's an 11 for 11 guy with one lucky break. They need to bring in someone else.

Parker is almost certain to be the #1.

I think the real question is the direction the offense will take. The Steelers now have an elite QB in the making and an explosive speed back, both of whom will only get better. Do they open up the offense a little bit to take advantage of these two players, or find a replacement power back for Bettis and stick with the formula that has worked for them so far?

WIllie is #1..I still hope they get rid of Staley and hopefully White falls too them to be the #2

They will probably bring in someone else as most teams have 2 capable Running Backs. The Bears brought in Cedric Benson, but Thomas Jones didn't miss a beat. Just because they bring in another RB doesn't mean Parker can't be successful again in 2006.

WIllie is #1..I still hope they get rid of Staley and hopefully White falls too them to be the #2
If through some sort of extreme luck White falls to them, FWP will be the #2.

He's fast. He's young.

Can't say much else is really so good about him. I have only seen him play about 6 games, but it seems to be he lacks patience, vision, balance, agility, and overall football presence. He could improve a lot because he is just so fast.

But he is not likely to be a 300+ carry guy ever in his life.

Parker is almost certain to be the #1.

I think the real question is the direction the offense will take. The Steelers now have an elite QB in the making and an explosive speed back, both of whom will only get better. Do they open up the offense a little bit to take advantage of these two players, or find a replacement power back for Bettis and stick with the formula that has worked for them so far?
um there not gonna draft a RB in the 1st to be the #2and if white does fall to them FWP will be the change of pace.

I love FWP. The guy's a playmaker and a gamer. He can hit a homerun at any moment. The fact is, other than the huge play, he got shut down and couldnt break a tackle. I think he'll be a 12-18 touch type of guy, but never a featured guy, but Id love to have the guy on my team as a decent #2 back or possibly very solid #3. But as far as locking his role and the team, I think he kindof did it, but he just wont be the only back the Steelers heavily utilize next year.

I agree with most that he should be the #1 guy, but I don't see him as a consistent 20-25 carry guy.

Assuming the Steelers defense remains solid, the team is going to need a bruiser to wear down defenses down the stretch of games. I don't see FWP being that guy. Thus, a complementary guy seems a given.

the steelers should use him the way the broncs use tatum bell.
:goodposting: That's exactly how I see him fitting in going forward. FWP is explosive, but inconsistent. Far too many 1 and 2 yard carries. Not the 'move the chains' type back that has been the backbone of Steeler football.

I'll give him a break in that he's still developing in the position, but Pittsburgh definitely should consider a back-up plan.

I agree with most that he should be the #1 guy, but I don't see him as a consistent 20-25 carry guy.

Assuming the Steelers defense remains solid, the team is going to need a bruiser to wear down defenses down the stretch of games. I don't see FWP being that guy. Thus, a complementary guy seems a given.
Great post. :thumbup:

No. He's an 11 for 11 guy with one lucky break. They need to bring in someone else.
:loco:
Not crazy at all. I did have the stat line wrong though. Make that 9 for 18 and one lucky break. He's not real good at making people miss. He doesn't break tackles. He gets the occassional long run which inflates his stats. He was horrible in the playoffs. I don't see him as being a consistent every down threat.

:loco:
Not crazy at all. I did have the stat line wrong though. Make that 9 for 18 and one lucky break. He's not real good at making people miss. He doesn't break tackles. He gets the occassional long run which inflates his stats. He was horrible in the playoffs. I don't see him as being a consistent every down threat.
I don't either. As a change of pace he's gold. Get him in the secondary and he eats up big chunks of yardage. It's getting him to the secondary that's often the problem. He can't get there on his own and needs a truck size hole ( like he had last night) to break the long ones.

good postings all around.

FWP does not:

1) wear down the defense

2) get yards after contact

3) consistently get us in 3rd and short situations

for all of these reasons, i think he will not be the steelers long term feature back. Yes, he's still developing, but these issues are related to body type and running style, things that are not going to dramatically change over the course of willie's career.

all that being said, willie made one of the biggest plays in steelers history, and his name is forever in the steelers hall of heroes. I just about gave our cat a heartattack when i jumped up and screamed "GO WILLIE, GO WILLIE, GO WILLIE, GOOOOOOOOOO!" yesterday. My friends said it was more entertaining than any moment in the game.

:towelwave:

I spoke with a friend in Pittsburg and asked him about this just this morning. He insists that the Steelers LOVE Duce Staley, and that Staley will be the primary guy spelled by FWP on third down and as a breather guy.

I told him how strange that sounded and he insisted that no matter what, they would not draft a RB #1.

And if you look at Cowhers history, he's right.

Time will tell, but the Steeler RB used to be a nice FF pick. Now it's just a black hole of confusion.

I spoke with a friend in Pittsburg and asked him about this just this morning. He insists that the Steelers LOVE Duce Staley, and that Staley will be the primary guy spelled by FWP on third down and as a breather guy.

I told him how strange that sounded and he insisted that no matter what, they would not draft a RB #1.

Time will tell, but the Steeler RB used to be a nice FF pick. Now it's just a black hole of confusion.
I could be wrong, but my sense is that if the Steelers really loved Staley, he wouldn't have been inactive for so many games when healthy, and perhaps used as the 3rd down back instead of Haynes.

I'm not sure who your friend is, but there has been absolutely nothing to suggest that Staley will be the #1 back in Pittsburgh next year. As a matter of fact, most of the discussion (on local talkshows) is whether or not they'll even bring back Staley next year. Personally, I hope they do. I think Duce can still be a valuable part of the running game. But I think it will be in a similar role that Bettis played this year, with probably a few more carries.I would be VERY surprised if Parker is not the #1 back going into next season.

I could be wrong, but my sense is that if the Steelers really loved Staley, he wouldn't have been inactive for so many games when healthy, and perhaps used as the 3rd down back instead of Haynes.
Unless Haynes goes to another team, he'll be the third downback. I'll be slightly surprised if Staley is in Pittsburgh next year.

I see zero chance of White falling to them. Either way I think Parker is the "guy" like F. Taylor is the "guy". He will be coming out of the game when inside the 5. I wish it was otherwise, I have him in my dynasty league.

Parker proved that if given a huge open hole with no defensive backs in the secondary, he can out run anyone. He is fast when he gets into open space but he isn't tough and he doesn't run well between the tackles. He is a great change of pace back but that is about it IMHO.

Parker proved that if given a huge open hole with no defensive backs in the secondary, he can out run anyone. He is fast when he gets into open space but he isn't tough and he doesn't run well between the tackles. He is a great change of pace back but that is about it IMHO.
Folks who are saying he isn't tough and can't break tackles haven't watched much of him this season. He has had some simply awesome runs between the tackles where he has broken a couple to get into the secondary and make it a big gain.He is underappreciated in this thread.

Might they bring someone in to take on the short-yardage role? Possibly. Why change what has been working for them. But the kid is a much more well-rounded back than people here are allowing for.

I have seen him play a lot actually. I have also seen all of his big run highlights on ESPN. Everyone of them were just like the one in the SB. He got into open space and he isn't called fast Willie Parker for nothing. I have also seen him have a lot of games where he had 12 carries before he cracked 10 yards. Sorry, I know all the Steelers apologist and FWP owners will argue that but it is the truth.

I still would be surprised if the Steelers brought in a big name back. They have Duce Staley on the bench to fill the role Bettis had.

The Steeler brass, including Cowher, love FWP. I think he's their #1 RB for 2006, without question.

Remember, he is still learning how to be a RB at this level. I think he's only going to get better.
true but they'll probably make a determination(accurate/true or not) on Duce's health and if he can't be available they'll get a decent "just in case" backup. You need 2 RBs in today's NFL

he seems to respond very very well to Bettis' advice. They should consider asking him to be an asst RB coach or somesuch.

I think the problem is that the Steelers O-line is much more geared towards Jerome's style of running. Where he's a slow runner that runs behind the line as much as he can before falling forward and using his body weight to get a few more yards. In FWP they have a much quicker back, and the line needs to run faster. I mean it's ahuge burden on the oline to be able to adjust to both RBs styles. I also agree with some of the posters here that say he's too quick, it seems like he tries to hit the hole even before it's developed. In my opinion, all of these are correctable. Next year the line will play to FWPs strengths, and FWP needs to learn to be a little more patient waiting for holes to open. But to say he isn't a good back is crazy, the guy has mad skills and is only going to get better.

true but they'll probably make a determination(accurate/true or not) on Duce's health and if he can't be available they'll get a decent "just in case" backup. You need 2 RBs in today's NFL
No question about it. I think you definitely have to have 2 backs that you feel can carry the load if needed. I still think that Staley is a valuable guy to have around. And I'm not sure that Haynes couldn't fill that role in a pinch. I thought he played very well this year.

Users who are viewing this thread