What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (2 Viewers)

We're a week out and the current wait times are stressing me out.  There shouldn't be a spring break rush yet?  Our Spring break is next week and typically we're on the front end of things here.  Monday at MK should be a fairly slow day you'd think. 

Space - 125 min

Mine train - 120

Splash - 90

Peter Pan - 75

Thunder - 70

We have a pretty good spread of FP's, but still :sadbanana:

OK vets, let's talk fast pass strategy.  How do you pick the rides and times?
Go big or go home.  My sister "helped" us on our first trip.  We were clueless, but ended up with FP's to the barnstormer, little mermaid, etc. 

I like the mid day FP's, or late afternoon when the crowds are the heaviest.  Plus it allows you to either sleep in, or hit the park early and take advantage of smaller crowds. 

Keep in mind your dinner/lunch reservations.  Most people already have those set so when it comes time to get the FP's you're dancing around those times and parks. 

We messed ours up this trip, we have back to back days at AK.  I was in charge of getting the Flight of Passage FP so I grabbed the first one I could.  Not ideal, but we we're giving it up either. 

We're a week out and the current wait times are stressing me out.  There shouldn't be a spring break rush yet?  Our Spring break is next week and typically we're on the front end of things here.  Monday at MK should be a fairly slow day you'd think. 

Space - 125 min

Mine train - 120

Splash - 90

Peter Pan - 75

Thunder - 70

We have a pretty good spread of FP's, but still :sadbanana:
I was reading just a few minutes ago that MK is a complete disaster today, tons of rides down, resulting in far worse wait times than normal.  Yesterday I was scrolling thru the Disney app looking at wait times, and it looked pretty chill at all 4 parks, so I think today is an anomaly.

Go big or go home.  My sister "helped" us on our first trip.  We were clueless, but ended up with FP's to the barnstormer, little mermaid, etc. 

I like the mid day FP's, or late afternoon when the crowds are the heaviest.  Plus it allows you to either sleep in, or hit the park early and take advantage of smaller crowds. 

Keep in mind your dinner/lunch reservations.  Most people already have those set so when it comes time to get the FP's you're dancing around those times and parks. 

We messed ours up this trip, we have back to back days at AK.  I was in charge of getting the Flight of Passage FP so I grabbed the first one I could.  Not ideal, but we we're giving it up either. 
First trip this summer, so I have no experience to back this up. But from what I've read, if you've used all 3 FPs and  you go into the app and just keep refreshing over and over, new ones will pop up all the time, even for popular rides. So I was going to try to front-load our FPs in the morning so I can start hunting for more.

I was reading just a few minutes ago that MK is a complete disaster today, tons of rides down, resulting in far worse wait times than normal.  Yesterday I was scrolling thru the Disney app looking at wait times, and it looked pretty chill at all 4 parks, so I think today is an anomaly.
Hope so.  I'm admittedly on the greedy side when it comes to that stuff.  We try and plan our trips around low times. 

Last May we had a last minute idea to hit up the parks right as school let out for the summer and all but hated it.  Poor planning on our part though.  I had a work thing so we stayed off site, had no good dinners since we were last minute and we had no FP's. 

How much is it for non-members?

All the photographers will take the photos for you with your phone. You just won’t be able to get the ride pics. 
You can get the ride pics with Memory Maker.  To me it’s totally worth it so you don’t have to carry a camera around and you get great shots.  Also, most kids will behave more for a Disney photographer than if it’s Mom or Dad.

First trip this summer, so I have no experience to back this up. But from what I've read, if you've used all 3 FPs and  you go into the app and just keep refreshing over and over, new ones will pop up all the time, even for popular rides. So I was going to try to front-load our FPs in the morning so I can start hunting for more.
this is correct and what I like to do as my goal.  There may be some of the big ones that you absolutely can't front load, so just work around.

Maybe others have, but we've never had any luck getting a good 4th pass.  Could be bad luck, but after 4-5pm the only options we ever have are for rides that have 25 minute waits or less. 

But yeah, you can use all 3 then find another, and another after that.  But don't pass on riding Space MT in hopes of it opening up later in the afternoon. 

We live in California and have been to Disneyland a bunch. We're going to Disney World for the first time in April, so the advanced FastPass system is actually new to me. I actually didn't think the paper system is that bad.
Paper Fastpasses were the greatest thing since slutty Disney Princess costumes - sprinting to Expedition Everest while the rest of your group hiked it to the Safari was great fun.  Made me proud when my oldest got big enough to send on that adventure solo - also gave me time to get more food and drink.  Current system is good, I just miss getting to get 6 or 8 FPs in a day.

Stolen from Reddit.  I don't think we've talked about it here, but I do think sometimes the wait times posted are misleading.  The first time we did the frozen ride I think the posted time was 85 min, and it was about a 40 minute wait.  Never paid much attention otherwise.  There's always chatter about jacking up the wait times to steer crowds to other attractions.  Maybe it is true? 

Saturday, March 3:

ANIMAL KINGDOM

FoP during EMH (posted 150 min, actual 60 min), Na’vi River (FP) Safari (SB, post 35, actual 10 min) Everest (FP) Kali River Rapids (walk-on) Primeval Whirl (20 min) Dinosaur (FP) Lunch

EPCOT

Mission: Space (FP) Soarin (posted 60, actual 30 min) Test Track (FP) Test Track again (FP) The Fiesta Tour (20 min) Frozen Ever After (SB, posted 85 min, actual 50 min) Walked around world showcase for 90 min or so and checked out a lot of the stores

MAGIC KINGDOM Big Thunder Mountain RR (FP) Space Mountain (FP) Peoplemover (5 min) Buzz Lightyear (15 min) Dinner Splash Mountain (25 min) Haunted Mansion (posted 35 min, actual 15 min) Peter Pan’s Flight (FP) Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (posted 60 min, actual 15 min)

We got all of that done the first day, which included NINE FP per person, mostly for E-tickets. We got really lucky

Sunday, March 4:

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS Rock ‘n Roller Coaster (FP) Star Tours (FP) Toy Story Mania (they messed up our tickets for the second day, so they gave us a free FP for Toy Story, it was pretty sweet, FP) Starlord and Baby Groot Meet and Greet (15 min) Lunch Muppet Vision 3D (5 min) Indiana Jones Stunt Show Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (FP)

This put us around 2pm, and we had an 8 hour drive home, so we left after that. But I’d say that was a really productive weekend! We walked more than 15 miles on Saturday alone and our feet are still hurting! Haha but what’s weird is that we didn’t feel rushed at all!

Stolen from Reddit.  I don't think we've talked about it here, but I do think sometimes the wait times posted are misleading.  The first time we did the frozen ride I think the posted time was 85 min, and it was about a 40 minute wait.  Never paid much attention otherwise.  There's always chatter about jacking up the wait times to steer crowds to other attractions.  Maybe it is true? 

There is definitely something to that way of thinking.  On our last trip, on our Animal Kingdom day we had a Rivers of Light FP for basically opening.  Got back there and Flight of Passage was at something crazy like 240 minutes.  Which, if they really are just using the cards they give random line walkers to measure, is full of crap because the park hadn't even been open that long for someone to have been in line.  Which means there is either a plan to make it look higher and thin out the line a little, or it is a guesstimate based on where the line physically is in the complex.

All in all, not a sinister plan to me at all, but it is something to think about.  Of course, the opposite can be true sometimes.  On a ride that says the wait time is only 20 minutes, and you get stuck there for 45 or 50 because the worker at the front didn't give out enough random cards to capture the line wait.  It happens.

We just got back from a 9 day WDW trip in November, so we weren't planning on going back for at least 2 years.  I just found out on Friday that my company is sending us for a 3 day meeting in Orlando (Mon-Wed) the 4th week of April.  My wife immediately started hunting for ADRs.  Trying to go down the weekend before and do 2 days in the parks (MK & Epcot), and maybe an evening in HS on Wed since it is only a half day for our meeting that day.  

My question is - my daughter turns 3 the week before we'd be going.  What are the chances we can pass her off as a 2 yr old again, and not have to purchase tickets?  I don't recall having to prove anything regarding her age when we went in November, although we did get some looks and comments from Cast Members at the park entrances when she had no ticket to enter.  She's taller than most kids her age, she looks easily 3 now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of it is preference - do you want to sleep in or be at rope drop?  Ideally you guys are early risers and will be at rope drop.  That is always a top priority for getting the most rides/attractions in on a given day.  Then as someone else mentioned it’s good to have at least a general sense of where you will be at a given time - paying attention to meal plans, etc.  Basicalky you don’t want to spend a lot of unnecessary time walk to or from a FP - plan your touring around your meals and FPs so you maximize your time.

Strategy on time of day again depends on whether you are an early riser or not.  Generally people try to book them as early as possible to allow yourself to get a 4th or even 5th FP.  You can only book #4 once you are done with #3.  

Strategy for park hopping can get even more complex - do you get them at your 2nd park or the 1st and hope some are left at park #2.  I tend to get them at our first park as again it allows for getting additional ones later.

Strategy for which rides - this is a little bit more straightforward as everybody knows which attractions take the longest so everybody is fighting for the same ones.  Another thing that made the paper FPs superior was I didn’t have to waste a FP on something we didn’t want to ride or that we wouldn’t need one anyway.

Here’s my list of rides in order from most desirable to least (and I’m sure I’ll leave some off as I’m going from memory)

- MK - Seven Dwarves, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, Pirates 

- EPCOT - Soarin, Test Track, Frozen 

- AK - Flights of Passage, Expedition Everest, Avatar river ride, Safari

- HS - this is the toughest one for me because there’s really only 3 rides worth FP IMO and I can make an argument against  all 3 - Toy Story and Tower of Terror are two of my favorite queues in the parks so I don’t mind waiting in those lines.  Rock n Rollercoaster has a single rider line.  Typically we do RnR just so we can ride together but sometimes we’ll do ToT.  Almost always do TSM first 

Don’t remember if you posted some of your itinerary but we could help if you have more specific questions 

We just got back from a 9 day WDW trip in November, so we weren't planning on going back for at least 2 years.  I just found out on Friday that my company is sending us for a 3 day meeting in Orlando (Mon-Wed) the 4th week of April.  My wife immediately started hunting for ADRs.  Trying to go down the weekend before and do 2 days in the parks (MK & Epcot), and maybe an evening in HS on Wed since it is only a half day for our meeting that day.  

My question is - my daughter turns 3 the week before we'd be going.  What are the chances we can pass her off as a 2 yr old again, and not have to purchase tickets?  I don't recall having to prove anything regarding her age when we went in November, although we did get some looks and comments from Cast Members at the park entrances when she had no ticket to enter.  She's taller than most kids her age, she looks easily 3 now...
haha, that's a good question I don't know the answer too.  I'll await the answer. 

I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to planning. I love efficiency. I hate knowing that there was a trick or strategy I missed that could've saved us time. So for our five-day trip in April, I think I've spent 10-12 hours looking things up and planning which days to go. This is our first time there, so I'm not vet, but here's what we're doing:

Monday we're going to Animal Kingdom and we'll try to hit magic hours (we're coming from California, so the 8 am opening will be 5 am Pacific time, but we'll do our best). All the Avatar Flight of Passage FPs were taken for the entire week we're there, so we'll try to hit that ride first. I did FPs for the other Avatar ride, the Everest ride and the Kilimanjaro one. We're done with FPs by 1 pm so if we didn't get to go on Avatar Flight of Passage, we'll see if any more FPs get released that afternoon. 

Tuesday we're going to Hollywood Studios. We got FPs for the Aerosmith coaster and Twilight Zone and we'll probably pick one more. We got lunch reservations at the Brown Derby, which gives us passes to see Fantasmic in the reserved section. We may hit magic hours at Epcot that night to hit some of the rides we weren't able to get FPs to in advance.

Wednesday we're going to Epcot. Seems the most popular FP option is the Frozen ride, but it seems our kids would be too old for that. I got a FP for Soarin' because we've been on the Cars ride at California Adventure, which seems similar to Test Track (can't get FPs to both rides on the same day). Booked dinner reservations at La Hacienda and will try to sit on the patio because I read the view of IllumiNations is pretty good from there. If we're not too tired, we'll try to hit magic hours at Magic Kingdom that night.

Thursday we're going to Universal Orlando.

Friday we're going to Magic Kingdom. (There are magic hours that morning but my kids will probably be pushing me around in a wheelchair by then.) Got a FP for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train because it's the most popular ride that isn't also at Disneyland, which we've been to a bunch of times. We're looking to take it easy that day. Got a reservation for dessert at Plaza Garden because it gets us a spot to watch fireworks that night.

If any of this turns out to be not worth it (like the dining reservations) or if anyone has any better advice, I'm happy to hear it. Regardless, my planning has won major points with my wife, so I'm already ahead.

Shouldn't be a problem (I can't confirm or deny I've pulled off the age trick).  Tell them you're there for her birthday later that week.  

As a DL regular, I hope they NEVER go to the WDW system of advance booking for FPs.  One of the worst parts of our recent trip was how restrictive the sytem there is. 

Sometimes a trip to DL isn't planned that far in advance and having the option to get a FP for any ride you want on the day of is awesome.  

Registration for Wine & Dine run weekend in November coming up next week.  If I get in, I’ll spend the weekend over there. It’s been a couple of years since I stayed on property.  No plans for parks though.

So you don't try to do 3 early and then get more for later in the day?

I don't understand what you "messed up".

Part of it is preference - do you want to sleep in or be at rope drop?  Ideally you guys are early risers and will be at rope drop.  That is always a top priority for getting the most rides/attractions in on a given day.  Then as someone else mentioned it’s good to have at least a general sense of where you will be at a given time - paying attention to meal plans, etc.  Basicalky you don’t want to spend a lot of unnecessary time walk to or from a FP - plan your touring around your meals and FPs so you maximize your time.

Strategy on time of day again depends on whether you are an early riser or not.  Generally people try to book them as early as possible to allow yourself to get a 4th or even 5th FP.  You can only book #4 once you are done with #3.  

Strategy for park hopping can get even more complex - do you get them at your 2nd park or the 1st and hope some are left at park #2.  I tend to get them at our first park as again it allows for getting additional ones later.

Strategy for which rides - this is a little bit more straightforward as everybody knows which attractions take the longest so everybody is fighting for the same ones.  Another thing that made the paper FPs superior was I didn’t have to waste a FP on something we didn’t want to ride or that we wouldn’t need one anyway.

Here’s my list of rides in order from most desirable to least (and I’m sure I’ll leave some off as I’m going from memory)

- MK - Seven Dwarves, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, Pirates 

- EPCOT - Soarin, Test Track, Frozen 

- AK - Flights of Passage, Expedition Everest, Avatar river ride, Safari

- HS - this is the toughest one for me because there’s really only 3 rides worth FP IMO and I can make an argument against  all 3 - Toy Story and Tower of Terror are two of my favorite queues in the parks so I don’t mind waiting in those lines.  Rock n Rollercoaster has a single rider line.  Typically we do RnR just so we can ride together but sometimes we’ll do ToT.  Almost always do TSM first 

Don’t remember if you posted some of your itinerary but we could help if you have more specific questions 
We aren't doing park hopper.  Doing MK 2 days, then 1 day each at the other 3 parks. Give me a 6th for MK.

I'd like to think that we are going to get there relatively early, but knowing us I doubt it will be rope drop every day.  

So you don't try to do 3 early and then get more for later in the day?

I don't understand what you "messed up".
My wife and kids prefer to sleep in, but we stay out late.  Just a personal preference...they’re all difficult to get out of bed by 9.  Typically at Disney tho the crowds are lighter til about 11am so you can get by and ride without waiting too long.  We either have bad luck or just aren’t persistent enough to get good FPs after we use our 3.

”messed up” meaning my sister booked us crappy FPs to rides like Winnie the Pooh where the wait was just 20 minutes anyways.

Thats pretty cool. 

I'm trying to temper my excitement about Toy Story Land, but it they do it as well as Cars at DCA its going to be fantastic. 
Is there a calendar of when the new things will all open for DW?  Will be going next March and trying to figure out what will be open and what will not.

Quick advice.

Have FP for Flight ride at AK for 10:40-11:40. Also have Tusker House reservations for 9:45.

Plan was to hit River ride at rope drop, walk over for breakfast and then wait as long as possible after breakfast before getting in line at 11:40 for Flight.

Is this possible and a good plan? Or is there something better we should try? Can't give up Fast Passes for Flight since no more are available all day.

Thanks

Quick advice.

Have FP for Flight ride at AK for 10:40-11:40. Also have Tusker House reservations for 9:45.

Plan was to hit River ride at rope drop, walk over for breakfast and then wait as long as possible after breakfast before getting in line at 11:40 for Flight.

Is this possible and a good plan? Or is there something better we should try? Can't give up Fast Passes for Flight since no more are available all day.

Thanks
Why are you waiting until 11:40. Your fp starts at 10:40. I would eat and go directly to flight of passage. 

Quick advice.

Thanks
What time does the park open?  FoP is so good I would try and go there first thing and ride it before breakfast and then use your FP to ride again.  Maybe try to fit the River ride in between breakfast and the FP?  Obviously don't take a chance on missing your FP window.  One other good reason for doing this is the FoP queue is pretty amazing and you can take a lot of great photos while in line.

One final note - even if the park opens at 9:00 you may want to check and see if they are letting folks in a little early still.  Because of the popularity of FoP they were letting folks in as early as 8:30 some days.

There are some experts in all things Disney here, and I wanted to see if you could steer me on the right track.  I know next to nothing about Disney World, but I have a wife and two kids who desperately want to go.  All I want to do is make it a great time for them, and, in the process, not get completely screwed over by the marketing campaigns.

I dialed this up from the Disney site (flights excluded because those are covered already)...

https://imgur.com/5I7Dz2T

...I'd appreciate any feedback if just going to disney.com and dialing up your vacation is the best way to handle things.  I'm just looking for a level set to see if I am missing anything on how to attack this.

There are a few "Disney Travel Agents" in our area.  We talked with one and she seemed useless.  She basically just asked how old our kids were and spit out a quote I could pull up myself on the Disney site.

That's all rambling, so specifically...

Is booking direct through Disney generally the best option?

Any feedback on the Polynesian?

Any tips for a dad who has never been to make it a great first time trip for his family?

Thanks in advance...

We always do our own booking - you don't really miss out on much using any of the services and for some people the planning is part of the fun.  Your trip looks great - Polynesian is a  great resort and a really good location on the monorail.  If your kids are young you will enjoy being able to take the stroller straight from the room on to the monorail and in to the park (if you do MK (Magic Kingdom) and EP (Epcot)).  AK (Animal Kingdom) and HS (Hollywood Studios) you will need to take a bus or drive if you have a car.

It really is a key question knowing the age of your kids - most young kids love MK the best and you should probably plan on 2 days there and 1 at AK.  Epcot can be tricky with young kids.  HS will have Toy Story land at that time so it may be back to being a full day park but again, need to know the kids ages.

The dining plan is awesome if you can swing it.  I think you have the standard plan so you get 2 Snacks, a Quick Service and a Table Service.  It is more than enough food for everyone and for some people is too much.  Try not to use the snacks on things like bottles of water or a bag of chips - you can get some pretty good snack credit items and it's better to pay out of pocket for that water (or ask for a cup of ice water) and get a Dole Whip instead!  Note that Quick Service credits are the same for kids and adults so plan accordingly.  Kids do have to order off a kids menu for Table Service unless it's a buffet.  The appeal of the dining plan is it allows you to have it all paid for ahead of time and just enjoy yourself - downside is obviously cost but hey, your a FBG so splurge.  You can book ADRs (Advance Dining Reservation) starting at 180 days and you are like 215 days out now.

There's a ton of good info in this thread but obviously it's long and at times difficult to wad through.  We probably need to revisit having a post with recommendations but feel free to ask any questions you have and you'll get a lot of good info from everyone.

Also, I'll go ahead and tell you that you have to get an ADR for 'Ohana (especially since you are staying at the Polynesian) - if you don't @Yankee23Fan may not let you back in the thread.

Any tips for a dad who has never been to make it a great first time trip for his family?
Some more (generic) advice:

• Plan ahead of time on not doing everything - we've been close to 20 times (that's 20 week long trips) and still have things we've not - it's literally not possible to do everything in 5 days
  • To go along with that - if you try to do too much you are setting you and your family up to not have a good time.  Request maps of the parks from Disney after you book and make a plan of what you consider to be "can't miss" attractions.  Build your touring around your dining plans and those things
  • Make sure everyone has good socks and shoes.  You will be doing a lot of walking.  If you aren't in shape and walking 5-10 miles in a day sounds daunting you may want to start walking daily to get used to it.  I've walked as much as 13 miles in a day at Disney.  I think a typical day for me and the family is around 7-8 miles.  The parks are huge
  • When our kids were younger we always used strollers to not only get them around the parks but also to store stuff.  After we graduated from stroller I made sure to always carry a backpack.  I keep a variety of things in them but the mainstays are:  sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, water bottle, ponchos, band-aids and emergency beer money for EPCOT (you can never be too careful)
  • Make sure everybody gets their sleep - you will be tired, especially if you tour 5 straight days.  Also, build in rest breaks each day.  Most people who have done this enough strongly suggest touring in the morning when it's cooler and less crowded then either have a relaxing lunch or leave the park and take a nap or swim at the pool for a few hours.  Then return in the afternoon and continue touring until evening. 
  • Some choose not to do breaks in the middle of the day - if you don't just make sure you are taking some down time to cool off and recoup.  Again, if you push yourself or your family too much it can quickly go from the happiest place on earth to hell on earth
  • Disney is expensive - it's REALLY  expensive.  You are going to spend a lot of money before you get there and you will most likely spend even more while there.  Again, it's expensive.
  • There's a ton of really cool stuff for kids to buy.  There's a ton of cool stuff for adults to buy.  I strongly recommend setting a "souvenir" budget and telling the kids ahead of time how much they have to spend.  Recommend that they not get the first thing they see that they like as they will invariably see something they like better the next day.  Plan to hit Mouse Gears or World of Disney towards the end of your trip as they will most likely have just about anything you saw during your trip.  It may be worth checking with a cast member on that though.
  • You don't have to know everything about Disney or the parks but make sure you have a plan for your touring.  It doesn't have to be in-depth but you need to have some idea what you are going to do or you will find yourself just kind of meandering around and not getting much done.  There's some great resources on the web for this - touringplans.com is a great resource for plans and they have a really nice crowd calendar that will help you determine which park to go to which day
  • I forgot to mention in my other post about Memory Maker - I think it's a great think to do unless you or your spouse is really in to photography.  They have Disney photographers all over the parks and other places and they get great pictures.  You can add pictures from the rides and they have some places where it will be video or other special photo shots.  It allows you to leave your camera at home (or the room) and not have to haul it around.  Highly recommend it.
If you really want do a ton of planning there's a really good book with just about everything you need to know called Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World - BN link has it for $13 -

Ok, I just realized your photo has your kids ages (yes, I'm a moron).  Those are great ages for Disney - I'm not just saying that, I really think the sweet spot for ages at Disney is 8-10 and 6-12 is when they have the most fun.  Any younger and it's a long day with lots of walking and probably needing naps.  Any older and the "magic" isn't always there and they don't like to do the "kiddie" stuff any more.  The one thing you may want to take a look at is their heights and whether they will be able to ride everything.  Your younger one probably won't be able to (and they may not want to).  One thing related to that is the rider swap option - it's been so long since we did that I don't remember all the details but the basic premise is you go to a CM (Cast Member) at the ride entrance and get a rider swap pass and one adult goes through the regular line with the older kid while the other adult sits out with the younger kid.  Then when they get done you and the older kid can get in the Fastpass (FP) line so you don't have to wait the full time again.

Another good thing for those ages is they are considered kids and not adults as far as ticket and dining plan costs - that will save you a good amount of money.

Learned this week it's pretty much impossible to get fastpass for FoP when you're staying off property and have a 30 day window.

I keep hearing that things will open up between now and April but I don't see it.  What's the plan if we don't get one?  Wake up early for the rope drop or attempt to get a fast pass after using the initial 3?

Learned this week it's pretty much impossible to get fastpass for FoP when you're staying off property and have a 30 day window.

I keep hearing that things will open up between now and April but I don't see it.  What's the plan if we don't get one?  Wake up early for the rope drop or attempt to get a fast pass after using the initial 3?
I would do rope drop - try to be at the gate 30 minutes early and head straight there.  You may see they let you in early.  As I mentioned above the queue is visually stunning and there’s a lot of great pics to be had.  You’ll still probably wait a while but it goes by pretty fast and honestly the ride is worth it.

ETA - I doubt you would have any luck getting a FoP FP after you use your 3.  I guess it’s possible but just very unlikely.

Some more (generic) advice:

• Plan ahead of time on not doing everything - we've been close to 20 times (that's 20 week long trips) and still have things we've not - it's literally not possible to do everything in 5 days
  • To go along with that - if you try to do too much you are setting you and your family up to not have a good time.  Request maps of the parks from Disney after you book and make a plan of what you consider to be "can't miss" attractions.  Build your touring around your dining plans and those things
  • Make sure everyone has good socks and shoes.  You will be doing a lot of walking.  If you aren't in shape and walking 5-10 miles in a day sounds daunting you may want to start walking daily to get used to it.  I've walked as much as 13 miles in a day at Disney.  I think a typical day for me and the family is around 7-8 miles.  The parks are huge
  • When our kids were younger we always used strollers to not only get them around the parks but also to store stuff.  After we graduated from stroller I made sure to always carry a backpack.  I keep a variety of things in them but the mainstays are:  sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, water bottle, ponchos, band-aids and emergency beer money for EPCOT (you can never be too careful)
  • Make sure everybody gets their sleep - you will be tired, especially if you tour 5 straight days.  Also, build in rest breaks each day.  Most people who have done this enough strongly suggest touring in the morning when it's cooler and less crowded then either have a relaxing lunch or leave the park and take a nap or swim at the pool for a few hours.  Then return in the afternoon and continue touring until evening. 
  • Some choose not to do breaks in the middle of the day - if you don't just make sure you are taking some down time to cool off and recoup.  Again, if you push yourself or your family too much it can quickly go from the happiest place on earth to hell on earth
  • Disney is expensive - it's REALLY  expensive.  You are going to spend a lot of money before you get there and you will most likely spend even more while there.  Again, it's expensive.
  • There's a ton of really cool stuff for kids to buy.  There's a ton of cool stuff for adults to buy.  I strongly recommend setting a "souvenir" budget and telling the kids ahead of time how much they have to spend.  Recommend that they not get the first thing they see that they like as they will invariably see something they like better the next day.  Plan to hit Mouse Gears or World of Disney towards the end of your trip as they will most likely have just about anything you saw during your trip.  It may be worth checking with a cast member on that though.
  • You don't have to know everything about Disney or the parks but make sure you have a plan for your touring.  It doesn't have to be in-depth but you need to have some idea what you are going to do or you will find yourself just kind of meandering around and not getting much done.  There's some great resources on the web for this - touringplans.com is a great resource for plans and they have a really nice crowd calendar that will help you determine which park to go to which day
  • I forgot to mention in my other post about Memory Maker - I think it's a great think to do unless you or your spouse is really in to photography.  They have Disney photographers all over the parks and other places and they get great pictures.  You can add pictures from the rides and they have some places where it will be video or other special photo shots.  It allows you to leave your camera at home (or the room) and not have to haul it around.  Highly recommend it.
If you really want do a ton of planning there's a really good book with just about everything you need to know called Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World - BN link has it for $13 -
this is a very solid post.  

Also, I'm one of the "anti meal plan" guys on here.  It's expensive, and I just hate being "tied to something" like that b/c I paid for it.  We ordered a bunch of snacks, fruit, water, etc. from Garden Grocer, who delivers food to your resort room.  Fill up our backpack with those and give them to the kids when they're #####ing about being hungry or something while we're in an inconvenient place to stop.  For meals, we eat when we get hungry, and I never ordered a full meal, b/c inevitably my kids (twins age 6 at the time) never finished it.  So I just finished whatever they did and if I got hungry later, I just picked something up along the way.

I don't want to sound like we never ate at a restaurant or quick service, b/c that's not the case....but there are some very simple ways to avoid the huge cost and time consumption that eating out 3 meals a day can bring at DW.

There are some experts in all things Disney here, and I wanted to see if you could steer me on the right track.  I know next to nothing about Disney World, but I have a wife and two kids who desperately want to go.  All I want to do is make it a great time for them, and, in the process, not get completely screwed over by the marketing campaigns.

I dialed this up from the Disney site (flights excluded because those are covered already)...

https://imgur.com/5I7Dz2T

...I'd appreciate any feedback if just going to disney.com and dialing up your vacation is the best way to handle things.  I'm just looking for a level set to see if I am missing anything on how to attack this.

There are a few "Disney Travel Agents" in our area.  We talked with one and she seemed useless.  She basically just asked how old our kids were and spit out a quote I could pull up myself on the Disney site.

That's all rambling, so specifically...

Is booking direct through Disney generally the best option?

Any feedback on the Polynesian?

Thanks in advance...
Good choice staying at the Poly.  Thats our favorite place. 

You might want to consider the park hopper?  In a handful of trips we always get it.  Sometimes we make the best of it, and other times we don't use it.  Being at the poly you'll have easy access to MK and Epcot.  Every now and then we have a day where we get up early and are spent by 3pm.   But sometimes it lines up with MK or another park being open til 11pm.  On days like that you might luck into being done at AK, come back relax and hop on the monorail and enjoy MK at night. 

If you're really open to spending all your money look into the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.  It should be going on while you're there. 

@Garrett seems like AAA has already stated a lot of the basics, but I'll echo the most important part: you can't do everything, don't try, don't push it, don't even. It will only lead to cranky families and the "I'm never coming back" mindset. WDW will always be there. Take your 1st trip, relax, soak it in and if you enjoy it then start planning your next trip. 

according to the crowd prediction calendars, you picked a good week. Its a little up and down but most predictions are in the 5-6 range (out of 10 being the most crowded) for the parks.  So thats good for getting slightly more accomplished then those days in the 8-9 range.

The resort you picked is a really good choice. Yes, it is deluxe, so you will be spending more per night then other resorts (if you want a breakdown of the resort categories and benefits, just ask), but the location can't be beat. With the kids ages, the MK will be your primary park and you'll have both monorail and ferry boat access to there which saves a lot of time. My only other resort choice would be the contemporary. It lacks the theming of the polly, but it is the only resort where you can actually walk to the MK and if you are going to Epcot via monorail, its quicker to the transfer then the other b/c it is the very next stop from the resort. But either way, the location is paramount and you are in a good place.

the dining plan is always a hot topic. Dining at Disney can be considered an attraction in itself. Not that the food is overly amazing, but most of the restaurants are themed very well and there are the character meals that are so very much part of the WDW experience.  And while generally i am a big fan of the dining plan, I'm not sure if it is worth it for you for this trip...that is depending on how your family eats. If you enjoy sit down dinners and don't mind taking some park time away from your day for a meal, then that may change things. The good news is that you don't need to decide on that until you are very close to your trip, so lets not get lost in that now. I would investigate the cost and benefits and keep it as a part of your budget. Dining plan or not, you will need to spend money on food regardless, so use that cost as a benchmark—either out of pocket or with the plan. 

While I've never used a travel agent, don't discount their usefulness based on the experiences you had. One of their main jobs is to keep checking for discount for you, even those not announced to the public. Plus an official WDW travel agent will not cost you a dime, they get paid by disney as part of your booking. So even if they find you a $1 in savings, they paid for themselves. Plus they might have an slight inside track on hard to get dining renovations or other ins. Some will provide additional value, as in i met a family on the plane once who's agent made them a special flip book of all the attractions and other strategies for their trip. Its worth talking to them if you are really unsure of the real scope of a WDW vacation.   I have a few i can recommend if you are interested. 

Lastly, you will be there during one of the best times of year at epcot—Food and wine festival. Google it for the best way to understand it. But when thinking of budgeting your park time, give Epcot a little extra hours b/c IMO its the best thing that that park has. Esp if you are slightly adventurous about food and don't mind sampling international foods. Also, events like this, really muck up the dining plan debate, bc I was stuffed when I went and couldn't even consider a sit down meal that day.  

I'll shut up now, but feel free to ask questions as you work your way through the process. Just keep certain dates in mind once you book:

•180 days from check in you can make dining reservations
• somewhere around 80 days, make sure you have your magical express luggage tags. 
• 60 days make your fast pass selections

if none of the makes sense to you, feel free to ask...it can be an overwhelming vacation once you hear vets talking about stuff. lol

I know a bunch of us subscribe or at least look at the Touring Plans crowd calendars. Lately there have been under fire b/c it seems the crowds and wait times at WDW so far this year have been really busy and their predictions are a bit off. 

The guys at TheDis podcast sat down with Len Testa who owns TP and had a really interesting conversation about things.  

http://www.disunplugged.com/2018/03/06/dis-unplugged-podcast-030618-disney-world-show/

its the 2nd audio file on the page, called "BONUS – A Conversation with Len Testa of TouringPlans.com"

Len actually goes into a little bit of a conspiracy theory regarding WDW that is very interesting. Very much worth a listen for us who follow this stuff. 

For Flight of Passage rope drop, make sure you dont go on a Magic Morning (or whatever they call it) day.  That's the day they let people staying on property into the park an hour early and there's already a 3 hour wait once the rope drops.  

Can you post his theory here? I’m like 25 podcasts behind. 
So far this year, in the 1st 2 months of the year, wait times are on average higher then the busiest times of the year....In January and February.  He claims that the economy has something to do with it, with people having more cash on hand and using it to travel. But, he also claims disney is intentionally reducing the throughput of their attractions to:

1. Save money on labor and maintenance. 
2. artificially inflate their wait times to show busier park attendance to investors. 

Iger (Disney CEO) recently said they are working on a tiered ticket pricing structure whereas they will change more per ticket for busier times of the year. So now they are testing ways to monkey with the numbers to show busy and slow times.  

And he claims they are not just guessing. TP's hires people to sit outside attractions and physically count people coming off them. And he claims that many attractions are running at around 2/3of their total capacity = longer wait times. 

We always do our own booking - you don't really miss out on much using any of the services and for some people the planning is part of the fun.  Your trip looks great - Polynesian is a  great resort and a really good location on the monorail.  If your kids are young you will enjoy being able to take the stroller straight from the room on to the monorail and in to the park (if you do MK (Magic Kingdom) and EP (Epcot)).  AK (Animal Kingdom) and HS (Hollywood Studios) you will need to take a bus or drive if you have a car.
@garrett

to add to what AAA said above - we stayed at the Polynesian for our last trip in November.  We found that driving our vehicle to AK and HS was easier for us than taking the bus.  Parking is free at all parks when you're staying on property, and while it's a longer walk to the parking lot than the bus station at the park exits, having to wrestle a 2 yr old, stroller, and personal stuff (jackets, backpacks, toys, souvenirs purchased, etc) onto the bus was a huge pain for us.  A bit further walk to your own vehicle, and you can take your time getting in, and you can get back to your resort faster than the bus in some cases, because the Poly bus usually shares with the Grand Floridian from what I remember.  

Huge thanks for all the quick feedback!

I still have a lot to learn about the details, but I definitely feel a lot better overall about entire trip already.  I went ahead and booked everything this morning to get our rooms and flights all locked in.  My family is super excited.

I'm sure I'll have some more questions, but you all gave me a great summary and helped me wrap my head around all the options/etc moving forward.

Thanks again!

Huge thanks for all the quick feedback!

I still have a lot to learn about the details, but I definitely feel a lot better overall about entire trip already.  I went ahead and booked everything this morning to get our rooms and flights all locked in.  My family is super excited.

I'm sure I'll have some more questions, but you all gave me a great summary and helped me wrap my head around all the options/etc moving forward.

Thanks again!
Welcome to the party pal!

( Disclaimer: John McClain is not a Disney character, and Die Hard is not a Disney vehicle.  Although, let's be honest, a Die hard experience where you had to get through Nakatomi Tower in some fashion almost like a really really long escape room, only an escape experience, might just be the coolest thing I've ever thought of in the history of thinking.)

Feel free to chew on that while at O'hana.  You did book O'hana, right?  

Users who are viewing this thread