What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (2 Viewers)

Huge thanks for all the quick feedback!

I still have a lot to learn about the details, but I definitely feel a lot better overall about entire trip already.  I went ahead and booked everything this morning to get our rooms and flights all locked in.  My family is super excited.

I'm sure I'll have some more questions, but you all gave me a great summary and helped me wrap my head around all the options/etc moving forward.

Thanks again!
I will add one thing. You might be able to rent DVC points and make the trip a little cheaper while still staying at the Poly. If you are interested, let me know. I'll post full details. 

And @glvsav37. What are the main differences of a DVC room over normal. I read somewhere that the room does not get cleaned and no refill on towels. Is this true?

Big fan of Poly.  I stayed on the Club Level and it was awesome.  So convenient and just a nice place all around.  That new pool (they were building it when I was there a couple of years ago) looks nice too.  

Cape May is great if you want fresh crab legs. For the non-seafood types they have a plethora of perfectly mediocre buffet food. Baked chicken, some pastas, that crap pizza, etc. But you are paying for the crab legs. They also have a mediocre paella with seafood and some salmon and other seafood dishes. My wife and I go about twice a year. 
Alaskan King Crab legs or ghetto crabs?

I will add one thing. You might be able to rent DVC points and make the trip a little cheaper while still staying at the Poly. If you are interested, let me know. I'll post full details. 

And @glvsav37. What are the main differences of a DVC room over normal. I read somewhere that the room does not get cleaned and no refill on towels. Is this true?
i don't generally recommend 1st timers rent DVC points. Yes, it can be cheaper. but it is a bit more of a hassle (not a ton) and i prefer they kind of go through the organic booking experience first...just a little clearer of a runway for someone already overwhelmed with choices. 

but FWIR, yes, the room gets cleaned a little less often—with bed making and towel serve, but you can pay to have it more frequent. Never really an issue with us b/c of family makes our bed at home every longing (well my wife does, thats her thing) and we snatch a few towels off the pool and cleaning carts when we see them. Otherwise, the rooms are generally slightly larger and will have some form of a kitchenette (studio) to a full kitchen (1 bedroom and larger), same for laundry facilities—laundry machines are free for DVC members, but 1 bedroom and larger has them in the room as opposed to the studios that have a small, common laundry room

Yeah, it's true but also kinda mis-leading.  The rooms are generally nicer and in the nicer hotels so they are an upgrade to begin with.  There is not daily full maid service, but if you need extra towels or anything like that they will bring them to the room fairly quickly.  You can also just grab extra towels, specifically, at the pools because there are large containers full of them that you can grab.  The rooms usually have more of a kitchen area to many having a full kitchen depending on the size.  The kitchen saves you a ton of money and all things considered the central convenience stores in the hotels that sell "groceries" aren't nearly as expensive as you might think they would be. 

We've gotten to the point where unless we have an actual breakfast reservation we almost always make breakfast in the room.  For a 50 dollar grocery bill you save yourself probably 200 bucks in eating breakfast out.  We save a fortune on coffee because I drink it like water so a pot or two in the room that I can fill up my travel cup with saves me probably 20 bucks a day overall just in that.

Going through DVC point rentals for a first timer might be a bit overwhelming.  It's probably better to be on the lookout for deal weeks for a first trip and then spend the time learning about DVC for the second trip or more.  But if you don't get overwhelmed easily, it's not impossible.  The DVC resorts are experiences onto themselves.

Spoiler alert: If you go to Carousel of Progress, be prepared to have this song stuck in your head for weeks like I currently am enduring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqBkBxJy470
On the bus from Port Orleans Riverside to MK a few years ago... evening ride back to the park after an afternoon back at the hotel... group of 20-somethings on the bus singing at the tops of their lungs, “THERE’S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW!” at every stop, every group that boarded the bus, every time the bus stopped for a red light, and of course pulling into the bus station at MK.  Because I have the moral compass and sense of humor of an 11-year-old, I’m bursting out laughing thinking this is the greatest shtick ever.  I slap hands with them as we get off the bus, thanking them for the show, and they tell me “we’re not going to be the only ones with that ####### song stuck in our heads tonight!”  At this point I’m nearly falling over laughing, assuring them their work was successful and they are not the only captives of this earworm.

On the bus from Port Orleans Riverside to MK a few years ago... evening ride back to the park after an afternoon back at the hotel... group of 20-somethings on the bus singing at the tops of their lungs, “THERE’S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW!” at every stop, every group that boarded the bus, every time the bus stopped for a red light, and of course pulling into the bus station at MK.  Because I have the moral compass and sense of humor of an 11-year-old, I’m bursting out laughing thinking this is the greatest shtick ever.  I slap hands with them as we get off the bus, thanking them for the show, and they tell me “we’re not going to be the only ones with that ####### song stuck in our heads tonight!”  At this point I’m nearly falling over laughing, assuring them their work was successful and they are not the only captives of this earworm.
I totally would have joined in on that. 

My kids may have seen on this too much.

Oldest:  Dad, you think there's any chance these idiots are going to catch the turkey in the oven before they burn it for like the billionth time.

Me: Doubt it.

my daughter found a youtube video of a 'bunch of people' singing the loin king opening on a plane. I told her that it looked like fun and we should do that on the next flight down. She is really looking forward to it. 

but...what she didnt realize that the 'bunch of people' were actually the broadway cast of the lion king, and the rest of the plane was all with them. So i can't wait for the hilarity to ensue once she tries to start her Disney sing along on a 2.5 hour flight. lol 

i have to admit, that it is amazing seeing these stories resurrected again from when i was a 8 year old kid playing with my action figures—now seeing my kids playing with them. 

buuuuuut.....im really concerned about Dis over saturating this franchise. I know they paid a lot for the rights, and they are investing a ton in the franchise for their parks, but i wonder what the breaking point is. 

you know, they mention in the article about the non-movie, direct to consumer franchise and how it helps the park. They directly mention jedi academy, but if you remember correctly, they tried having one of the female villains from another series fight kids there and she was pulled b/c parents complained. They had her and Darth Vader and the kids were broken into 2 groups, each fighting one. So when parents say little johnny getting the 2nd rate character, they put up stink. It shows me the original franchise characters are still paramount and all the spin offs (i'm looking at you Solo Movie), may not be carrying the weight they expected. IDK, just my opinion.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I'm headed back for F&W part 2. That conference is back in orlando from Oct 6-8th and i got some great info and business from the last one. So when tickets came up, my wife was like "you're going back, right?" lol.Might bring the family with my this time being its Columbus day weekend and the kids have off. 

:happy dance: 

Speaking of the conference, if any of you guys have young-to-tween age kids who love disney and love to read, can i suggest checking out a book by a guy i met at the last conference. 

Disney and the Wonder Within: Ears of Virtue (Volume 1)

I met Chuck the author at the conference and he is a great guy. He was working on finishing this book up and starting the 2nd book when we met. He just launched it about 2 weeks ago. If you are familiar with the Kingdom Keepers series (another fantastic set of books for Disney-fan kids), this is very similar to those where much of the action takes place within the WDW theme parks.

thanks in advance if anyone picks one up. 

Does anyone know when this opens in 2019?  All I hear is the year without any more specifics as to when.   Family and I are going down in April next year and would love to visit if it’s open.  
you'll most likely just miss the opening, sorry. Toy Story is scheduled for June 30 of this year and I would expect SW to be the same in 19. They are saying "Mid-year" and that would put it in the may-june area. 

Does anyone know when this opens in 2019?  All I hear is the year without any more specifics as to when.   Family and I are going down in April next year and would love to visit if it’s open.  
I agree with glv. Pandora was May, you story land June. I don't think April will happen. 

You may be able to get in during a preview. But that is a luck thing if it happens. 

What's the etiquette for when a bunch of Jack hole kids are playing music on portable speakers in line for rides. Seriously. WTF is that all about?  There was almost an incident in line for the dwarves train. 

What's the etiquette for when a bunch of Jack hole kids are playing music on portable speakers in line for rides. Seriously. WTF is that all about?  There was almost an incident in line for the dwarves train. 
If it was loud and/or inappropriate I would probably see if I could get a CM to make them stop.  If one was around a simple “hey guys, turn it down please” will get most to turn it down or off.

If it was loud and/or inappropriate I would probably see if I could get a CM to make them stop.  If one was around a simple “hey guys, turn it down please” will get most to turn it down or off.
It was ridiculous and I was in a mood where if I would have said something it wouldn't have been politely. It happened a few different times. Is that a thing now?

We had “Party in the USA” break out in line for the little mermaid Sunday...didn’t annoy us though.  If it had been vulgar then yeah.  

Havent seen space mt below 100 minutes in 2 days.

The garden wing of the contemporary doesn’t feel like the contemporary at all.

flight of passage tomorrow!

We had “Party in the USA” break out in line for the little mermaid Sunday...didn’t annoy us though.  If it had been vulgar then yeah.  

Havent seen space mt below 100 minutes in 2 days.

The garden wing of the contemporary doesn’t feel like the contemporary at all.

flight of passage tomorrow!
Space Mtn seemed to be limping along.  Both times we went through yesterday the waiting lines were pitch black.  Could hardly see.  None of the time waster games were working and it seemed really hot in line.  I was looking around at the ride and realized how desperately that ride needs a make over.

On a side note, a really good friend of my wife's works for Disney's commercial group.  They are responsible for direction of what gets remodeled, removed, revamped etc.  They had dinner with us a couple nights ago and we were talking about some of the different things discussed in this thread.  It's interesting to hear their vision and how they come to the decisions they do.  We jumped from ride/attraction to ride/attraction....some of which have been discussed here.  I don't think Carousel is going anywhere.  Lots of sentimental ties to that ride and it's going to be hard to get rid of.  I haven't been in this thread in a meaningful way for a while and didn't realize what the plan was for the Star Wars experience hotel at HS.  I suspect that wait list is going to be YEARS long.  I didn't know you'd basically be participating in a show for your two day stay.  

It was ridiculous and I was in a mood where if I would have said something it wouldn't have been politely. It happened a few different times. Is that a thing now?
"Get off my lawn!"
I did feel that way at the time, but as I thought more about it, I think it was more them using the speaker.  Well, that and them absolutely butchering quality songs made well before they were born.

I was just talking this morning about us skipping a beach week to drive down during July.  I told my wife this clinches it.  My favorite Disney Park by far.
they have been doing some DVC parties there at night and it looks very cool. I guess those were test beds for something like this

So I was given a free condo in Orlando in late april.  Apparently close to all the Disney stuff.  It may even be a timeshare with Disney vacationers in mind.  Flying up Wednesday night, and flying back sunday.  So I have three full days there, Thurs, Fri, Sat.

- 14 year old daughter
- 17 year old son.
- wife.

Any suggestions? We seem to be somewhat set on one day at Universal (wife wants to do Harry Potter rides), and one day at a water park of some sort, maybe with a cabana (my suggestion so I can sit and drink beer and relax).  

Thoughts on those two things so far?  Any other suggestions for 14 and 17 year olds? 

So I was given a free condo in Orlando in late april.  Apparently close to all the Disney stuff.  It may even be a timeshare with Disney vacationers in mind.  Flying up Wednesday night, and flying back sunday.  So I have three full days there, Thurs, Fri, Sat.

- 14 year old daughter
- 17 year old son.
- wife.

Any suggestions? We seem to be somewhat set on one day at Universal (wife wants to do Harry Potter rides), and one day at a water park of some sort, maybe with a cabana (my suggestion so I can sit and drink beer and relax).  

Thoughts on those two things so far?  Any other suggestions for 14 and 17 year olds? 
honestly—and may the Disney gods not hear me say this—you may want to just do Universal. They have 2 parks and a brand new water park—volcano Bay. If you look at ticket options, the 3 day/3 park ticket might be the best deal vs trying to do a 1 day at Universal, 1 day at Disney and 1 day at a water park. Lots to do at those parks for young adults, plus city walk  for night time. Maybe hit Disney springs one night just to change it up. 

There is a marathon event at WDW the 19-22 so it might be a little crowded. Star Wars 1/2 marathon

But otherwise, no real festivals or special events at Epcot, you are missing Flower and Garden by about a month. Toy Story land won’t be open at Studios yet. the 22nd is Animal Kingdoms 20th anniversary, so it may be more crowded then usual. So that really just leaves the Magic Kingdom. Not that that is a problem, but if you visit regularly or even semi regularly, then its a toss up if you want to go there just to pay homage to the mouse.

- 14 year old daughter
- 17 year old son.
- wife.

Typhoon Lagoon!  Crushin Gusher is a blast and I'm not even a water slide guy.

Lazy river, wave pool, and Margaritas.  

Sometimes at WDW I either think we kicked some major ### or we got our asses kicked majorly.  Today we kicked some major ###.

Hit every major attraction at AK.  Flights lived up to the billing.  Pandora at night was fantastic.  Went to Rafikis plantwatch for the first time, it deserves more credit than it gets.  Train conductors pulled the kids aside and let them play in the engine room.  

Stayed for rivers of light show at the end...it was cool, but not sure I’d stay late for it again.  Glad to have it done.

All around good day at the park.

ps...still can’t get that 4th FP for anything worth getting.  It’s a myth.

7 year old begged to go to Jedi training today.  So I wake up and get ready and Of course he changed his mind when I woke him before sunrise. 

I tell the wife I’m going to get coffee, which was the original intent.  After about 10 minutes of boredom I hoof it to rope drop at MK.  Caught space mt at a 20 minute wait.  First time going solo here.  Gonna be in trouble with the wife.

Resort Parking Fees go into effect March 21, sort of.

If you booked your reservation before March 21, you won’t get charged for parking.  

Self-parking rates will be $13 per night for Value, $19 for Moderate, $24 for Deluxe.  Deluxe will have Valet parking for $33.

DVC seems to be unaffected by the new policy.  

Surprised they did this.
surprised/not surprised

this whole squeezing blood from a stone act has got to have an end someday. 

DVC is not effected by it, sort of. They are adding it as a perk but will most likely deny this perk to resale DVC buyers.

Going to Orlando (from Boston) in 10 days.   :excited:

Family is going to Disney, I am staying back and meeting a buddy to golf one of the days.

Upcoming weather report.

SUN    Mostly Sunny    82°61°
25-Mar        
MON    Partly Cloudy    83°63°
26-Mar        
TUE    Partly Cloudy    85°64°
27-Mar        
WED    Mostly Sunny    85°64°
28-Mar  

:yes:

glvsav37 said:
surprised/not surprised

this whole squeezing blood from a stone act has got to have an end someday. 

DVC is not effected by it, sort of. They are adding it as a perk but will most likely deny this perk to resale DVC buyers.

I suppose instead of raising room rates another $20 a night, they did this.  Also allows them to offer "free parking" as a perk instead of an expectation.    

Was a little surprised they didn't waive resort parking for AP holders like they do at the Parks.  

Wonder if Magical Express is going to have a fee by March 2019. 

There’s too many people at the parks. WAY too many people. Disney knows this so they have a free pass to gouge people for whatever they want. It won’t stop people from coming, so :shrug:  

There’s too many people at the parks. WAY too many people. Disney knows this so they have a free pass to gouge people for whatever they want. It won’t stop people from coming, so :shrug:  
There wasn't much grumbling at the last couple DLR park ticket price increases among DLR AP holders.  As a group they are willing to pay extra if it means thinning in-park traffic out a little.

I'd expect another big price increase on resorts and park tickets next year.  They will only have the first year of Star Wars Land once.  As cool as having it in Disneyland will be in Anaheim, what an opportunity to get a huge traffic draw for something not in MK.

Strange week here.  Maybe I’ve been spoiled in trips past, but the park doesn’t have the feeling of being full...but holy moly the wait times are ridiculous.  9 attractions at MK are over 90 minutes right now.  

Even the parking lots don’t really seem full.   Been moving a double stroller with relative ease all week.

I don’t remember where I saw the rumor, might have been here, but someone said maybe they’re artificially inflating wait times by being short staffed.

I typically watch wait times even when I don’t have a trip on the horizon and this seems to be even worst than the middle of summer or the week between Christmas and New Years.

you can get booze with the meal plan now...so I don’t sound like a total spoiled guy.  I don’t think I knew that.  

Strange week here.  Maybe I’ve been spoiled in trips past, but the park doesn’t have the feeling of being full...but holy moly the wait times are ridiculous.  9 attractions at MK are over 90 minutes right now.  

Even the parking lots don’t really seem full.   Been moving a double stroller with relative ease all week.

I don’t remember where I saw the rumor, might have been here, but someone said maybe they’re artificially inflating wait times by being short staffed.

I typically watch wait times even when I don’t have a trip on the horizon and this seems to be even worst than the middle of summer or the week between Christmas and New Years.

you can get booze with the meal plan now...so I don’t sound like a total spoiled guy.  I don’t think I knew that.  

yup...here it is

So far this year, in the 1st 2 months of the year, wait times are on average higher then the busiest times of the year....In January and February.  He claims that the economy has something to do with it, with people having more cash on hand and using it to travel. But, he also claims disney is intentionally reducing the throughput of their attractions to:

1. Save money on labor and maintenance. 
2. artificially inflate their wait times to show busier park attendance to investors. 

Iger (Disney CEO) recently said they are working on a tiered ticket pricing structure whereas they will change more per ticket for busier times of the year. So now they are testing ways to monkey with the numbers to show busy and slow times.  

And he claims they are not just guessing. TP's hires people to sit outside attractions and physically count people coming off them. And he claims that many attractions are running at around 2/3of their total capacity = longer wait times. 

I really hope more people find out about this and start pushing back on Disney...if it is as bad as you say, then its total BS. 

yup...here it is

I really hope more people find out about this and start pushing back on Disney...if it is as bad as you say, then its total BS. 
Yeah, that’s it.  It really does feel like that’s the case.  I’m no expert but I’ve come enough to know what a crowded, near capacity park feels like and this is far from it.  

The buzz ranger spin has been 70-90 minutes all day.  Not sure I’ve seen Pooh under 50 minutes all week.  It’s an hour wait to get on the barnstormer.  I’m not sure I’ve ever seen those over 30 minutes for an extended period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread