What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do people really not have a problem with this? (1 Viewer)

What Rex says doesn’t bother me. I find him entertaining. However, if I were a Jet player, a world class athlete who makes millions, I think I’d rather not hear/read so much about how the coach needs to take the pressure and attention off of me. My ego would have a tough time accepting the idea that I need that kind of protection. I would think that if I had worked hard and earned my spot, I would want the pressure, the responsibility and the recognition that I can execute the game plan to its fullest potential.
I see you point, but I think I would soon appreciate what he or any coach does to deflect attention from me.lets say your world class athlete Santonio Holmes.Would you rather answer 74 questions about the dropped 3rd down pass, and 3 about your coach?Or 3 questions about your dropped 3rd down pass, 42 about your coaches comments and 12 about his feet.
Certainly everyone will have a different response to such attention. I don't know any of the Jets players, nor would I presume to know how they feel. I just know how I would feel. I assume Rex knows his players well enough to say the right things, push the right buttons etc. So, he probably knows that most of the Jets players, or at least the usual media targets, prefer Rex deflecting attention from them. I'm just not comfortable with the idea that I would need to be protected, I guess.Basically, I would prefer to answer questions about the things I have control over. So, I'd rather face any and all questions about my dropped pass and let coach answer the questions about his comments and feet.

I think he's just trying to Mohammad Ali the Pats since he knows he can't win outright. Talk big and maybe get Belichick pissed and off his game. Though I don't think that's going to work here.

I think he's just trying to Mohammad Ali the Pats since he knows he can't win outright. Talk big and maybe get Belichick pissed and off his game. Though I don't think that's going to work here.
Again, I'm pretty sure he knows that won't happen. It's not about the Pats. it's about the press and the Jets. I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks they can get the Pats to 'angry' themselves into a mistake.Then again, perhaps RR isn't in his right mind. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Football Critic said:
If Bill said the exact same thing, it would be a huge story.
Bill Belichick would never say such a thing. He takes himself too seriously -- which is to say, his ego is too great.It takes a humble guy like Rex Ryan to make such natural use of jocular irony.

Andrew Garda said:
It's not about the Pats.
Then why take the shot at Brady last week? :confused:
You're splitting hairs to make a point. We're talking about THESE statements not last week's - not even the Lombardi comment. And these statements, to me, have a purpose beyond tweeking the nose of the Pats (and let's face it, their fans).but to bring those statements into it - even then, frankly it's my view that he's not looking to get Brady off his game - it's not going to happen with words. He's putting the target on himself. He's not about the Pats - it's about pulling pressure off his guys while they prep.He does it every week - he talks trash for nearly every team. It gets amplified whenever the Pats are involved because they're the top of the AFCE, among the top of the entire NFL and the rivalry is actually a rivalry now that the Jets actually play well.But it's the same schtick every week regardless of foe - and magnified by the scope of the game.

Andrew Garda said:
Football Critic said:
ESPN really aint on it from what I seen. And another thing is since Rex is Rex people are not taking it as egotistical when it clearly is. If Bill said the exact same thing, it would be a huge story. Just wondering what the SP thinks of it.
Except for - as is evidenced by even NON Jets fans here - it isn't clear. The Shark Pool is telling you what it thinks of it. Not our fault you don't agree with the answer.

It would seem worse if the Hoodie said it because it's out of character for him. Or Payton. Or Caldwell.... well or if Caldwell showed any personality. Ryan has been brash from day one and at times it;s annoying and at times it's gamesmanship and at times it's very clever.

If you think this is merely about Rex Ryan's ego, so much so you're dismissing any contrary opinion as the opinion of clearly biased Jets fans.... well that's unfortunate.

Not saying ego doesn't play into it - as it does with EVERY coach. But this is something else.
Why are you making it confrontational, or getting defensive?

Andrew Garda said:
Football Critic said:
ESPN really aint on it from what I seen. And another thing is since Rex is Rex people are not taking it as egotistical when it clearly is. If Bill said the exact same thing, it would be a huge story. Just wondering what the SP thinks of it.
Except for - as is evidenced by even NON Jets fans here - it isn't clear. The Shark Pool is telling you what it thinks of it. Not our fault you don't agree with the answer.

It would seem worse if the Hoodie said it because it's out of character for him. Or Payton. Or Caldwell.... well or if Caldwell showed any personality. Ryan has been brash from day one and at times it;s annoying and at times it's gamesmanship and at times it's very clever.

If you think this is merely about Rex Ryan's ego, so much so you're dismissing any contrary opinion as the opinion of clearly biased Jets fans.... well that's unfortunate.

Not saying ego doesn't play into it - as it does with EVERY coach. But this is something else.
Why are you making it confrontational, or getting defensive?
I'm not intending to do either. Sorry if you read it that way. I did feel like your immediate response upon reading the first few posters was'well of COURSE Jets fans would say that'. Maybe you didn't mean it that way.Anyway, didn't mean to make it personal sorry if it came across that way.

PatsFanCT said:
Pretty sure Rex realizes that his PR antics have no effect on BB and Brady.

PatsFanCT said:
In case you forgot, Rex HAS won outright against the Pats. Everybody ignores the first game where the Jets won by 2 TDs. He is definitely not trying to piss Bill off...which is clear because he has said nothing disrespectful. He, in fact, has praised Belichick as a coach. Some people just don't like Rex, and that is fine. There is no need to manufacture issues.

It is, as many have said, without question an attempt to distract the media from other issue that might affect his players. Is a very wise strategy.

Deal with if for what it is.

It is, as many have said, without question an attempt to distract the media from other issue that might affect his players. Is a very wise strategy.Deal with if for what it is.
Belichick would disagree that's its a wise strategy. It's been stated many times in NE that the goal is to never give your opponent fodder for the locker room walls. Don't motivate the other team. There's a reason the Pats beat the Jets by 40 points last time. And there's a reason the Pats are always a contender.

Crash Davis said:
Mike Golic was talking about this on ESPN radio this morning and he echoed the general sentiment here, that he was deflecting the pressure from his team, specifically Sanchez. He also noted that this was a tactic employed by his father whom he played for. Rex has been around the NFL a long time, he literally grew up around it. He's a clown for sure, that's his style like it or hate it. That doesn't mean that there isn't a level of method to his bombastic madness though. As others have pointed out, it's pretty much working too. We are sitting here discussing Rex and not Sanchez. As for the Jets' fans liking Rex, here's food for thought. In 2 short seasons he is now the all time franchise leader in post-season wins and is the first coach in team history to win playoff games in back to back years. Are there some of us who would probably prefer a "classier" coach, one who doesn't talk as much trash and still wins? Of course there are, but when you are as success starved a fan base as the Jet fans have been over the past 40 years you are likely going to embrace the winning no matter what personality it is packaged in. I get a kick out of Rex most of the time, but i'll admit that there are times when I wish he would just keep quiet for a change. I am also not exactly thrilled with all of the negative distractions this team seems to endure. Yet, here we are in January with football to look forward to for the second year in a row. I'll take it.
This. Ryan also made it a point to say that these two teams matchup in terms of talent pretty equally. Putting that aside for another discussion for the moment, that was his premise for saying it was him against Belichick. If one can't see that he is doing what he can to take both the responsabilty for the 45-3 loss and for this playoff game off the players, you have to be blinded by a dislike for the man. Good coaches know how to instill confidence and find ways to motivate players. Ryan's approach is brash and unconventional, but it has been working. This is what it's all about.Now, not everything he says is so carefully calculated, he often just answers questions honestly without an agenda. Saying it was personal with Manning was likely the later. For any competitor, if a guy keeps beating you, there is a personal aspect that surfaces. Heck, when I was playing league darts, there was a guy that owned me, and I was a pretty good dart player, one of the best in the league, but this guy had my number, he was inside my head. You bet it got personal, until I finally beat him. It was never unfriendly, but it was personal.

I don't agree with the Rex talks so much just to protect his players theory. He's a gregarious guy. He really seems to like those press conferences, he may feel more at home at the podium than he does coaching on the field. He wasn't worried about his QB when he told the press he was thinking of benching Sanchez a couple of weeks ago.

Clearly, Rex is a pretty good coach. From his point of view it really is a test of wills between him and BB. Probably sees the guys on the field as chess pieces for him to general around. There's nothing wrong with it.

Football Critic said:
Bill Belichick would never say such a thing. He takes himself too seriously -- which is to say, his ego is too great.It takes a humble guy like Rex Ryan to make such natural use of jocular irony.
Belichick's ego is most evident in his wardrobe, just like Brady.

Football Critic said:
:thumbup: Are you sure that's the reason Belichick would never say such a thing?

Just out of curiosity, how is he taking the pressure off of his team, and not adding to it?
I'll give him credit for it. Nobody's talking about Sanchise reverting back to Suckchez, and very little is being said about his foot-related hobbies. Everyone's talking about Rex, or Rex and Belichick. It was a good move.

Rex is such a loudmouth, kind of a pervert and great in interviews. I can't help but like the guy. Isn't that better than the standard "we respect them but if we play our game we'll put ourselves in a great chance to win" garbage? THAT'S the schtick.

Rex is such a loudmouth, kind of a pervert and great in interviews. I can't help but like the guy. Isn't that better than the standard "we respect them but if we play our game we'll put ourselves in a great chance to win" garbage? THAT'S the schtick.
:goodposting:I've always loved Football Schtick.... Always loved OCHO - Can't get enough...Maybe Rex should have his own show too...... Maybe on Cinimax....

So I guess if the Jets win, all the credit goes to Rex. Ryan has become bigger than his team. I don't believe for one second that his quotes were strictly meant to take the heat off of the players. Rex wants all the credit and attention if the Jets win.

In case you forgot, Rex HAS won outright against the Pats. Everybody ignores the first game where the Jets won by 2 TDs. He is definitely not trying to piss Bill off...which is clear because he has said nothing disrespectful. He, in fact, has praised Belichick as a coach. Some people just don't like Rex, and that is fine. There is no need to manufacture issues.
Nobody forgets that the Jets won outright against the Pats, they just aren't crazy enough to believe it's going to happen again. Rex is adding pressure to his team, not deflecting it. How people think otherwise is amazing. Rex likes to talk crap. Which is fine, I'm all for talking crap, but he takes it to the Ali level. Trying to get his opponent off his game and get the coach/players too mad to concentrate on their game plan. Again, nothing wrong with that. But no way in Rex's mind is he thinking "I'm going to rile people up so they don't talk about how lousy my starting QB is playing."

I can't stand Ryan but he a master of taking the pressure and scrutiny off his team, especially Sanchez, and deflecting it to himself. That is all he is doing.
I don't see it this way. His antics don't take pressure or scrutiny off his team, they create additional pressure and scrutiny. And if Cromartie is any example, his antics probably encourage the idiots on the squad to run their mouths too. I'm not all that concerned about the locker room bulletin board aspect of it. After the first few minutes of the game I think the emotional buzz has burned off and these guys putting out what they practiced. But in the arena of public opinion, his routine is going to lose its charm after a while. He's going to look like a foolish blow-hard and lose respect.Someone like Mike Tomlin, I could believe that he might create a diversion. That type of calculated strategy seems to fit in with what I think of him. But Ryan, I see him as the loudmouthed guy that he appears to be in the press conferences.

Just out of curiosity, how is he taking the pressure off of his team, and not adding to it?
I'll give him credit for it. Nobody's talking about Sanchise reverting back to Suckchez, and very little is being said about his foot-related hobbies. Everyone's talking about Rex, or Rex and Belichick. It was a good move.
Wait a minute. You don't think Ryan running his mouth makes it more likely that he sees signs in the crowd referencing his foot fetish?The more of an ### Ryan makes of himself, the more people that will wish for and celebrate his failures. And the more likely they are to want to see him humbled in public.I think if anything it helps other teams who may get the benefit of being overlooked or getting the let down game from Jets opponents.

Wait a minute. You don't think Ryan running his mouth makes it more likely that he sees signs in the crowd referencing his foot fetish?The more of an ### Ryan makes of himself, the more people that will wish for and celebrate his failures. And the more likely they are to want to see him humbled in public.I think if anything it helps other teams who may get the benefit of being overlooked or getting the let down game from Jets opponents.
I think you were going to see that in New England regardless. There will be someone with a sign that says "Third and a foot" with a picture of Ryan and a foot, and it will get shown on national TV on a third and short. There will be someone with a sign that says I didn't come here to kiss Belichick's rings, and a picture of him kissing a foot. There will be signs. But the foot fetish thread is on page 9, while this thread is on page one here at FBG. That's about the best he could hope for right now.

I'm no JETS fan but I find Rex very entertaining at times and then there are times I wish he would just shut the hell up but the one thing I love and respect about him is that he tells you how he really feels.
Rex runs his mouth because he wants to be heard. Anyone who gives a damn enough to volunteer their opinion when not asked cares about what people think. He wants you to think he's a bad ### and he wants you to think he's cool enough not to care what you think, so he says things that reinforce that image that he wishes to project. Don't mistake that for him saying what he really feels. He's trying to project an image.But make no mistake, if Ryan really didn't care what anyone thought, he wouldn't bother letting them know what he thought. Anyone who runs their mouth like Ryan does is doing so because they like the attention.

I'm no JETS fan but I find Rex very entertaining at times and then there are times I wish he would just shut the hell up but the one thing I love and respect about him is that he tells you how he really feels.
Rex runs his mouth because he wants to be heard. Anyone who gives a damn enough to volunteer their opinion when not asked cares about what people think. He wants you to think he's a bad ### and he wants you to think he's cool enough not to care what you think, so he says things that reinforce that image that he wishes to project. Don't mistake that for him saying what he really feels. He's trying to project an image.But make no mistake, if Ryan really didn't care what anyone thought, he wouldn't bother letting them know what he thought. Anyone who runs their mouth like Ryan does is doing so because they like the attention.
I agree that he likes the attention but I still like the fact that he doesn't sit up there and give the same ole boring press conference that all of these other coaches give. He is very entertaining at times.

Nobody is looking at the other angle of this though, or if they are they aren't talking about it. Forget about what Patriots fans, Steeler fans, Giants fans think of the guy. Those fans don't root for the Jets. What Rex is doing is going to make it that much more fun for his OWN team's fans should they manage to pull this off. The team is full of bravado, they're the hated jerks from Jersey that like to run their mouth, and everyone else wants their team to put the Jets in their place. But if they don't, and the Jets continue this run all the way to Dallas, they're going to be one of the most memorable teams in league history.

Actually, Ryan is usually asked questions that he just answers. When you see sound bites, they don't include a writer's question, it's only Ryan's answer you see and hear. If you went to the Jets site and listened to his press conferences when they don't get editted down by ESPN, you would understand the guy better, and right now you really don't have a clue about Ryan and why he does what he does. And Ryan genuinely doesn't care what people think of him. In fact, I think he actually gets a kick out of the critisism. Let 'em hate me, let me be a target. You think Ryan is trying to be some sort of people pleaser? LMAO. Not hardly.

Mike Golic was talking about this on ESPN radio this morning and he echoed the general sentiment here, that he was deflecting the pressure from his team, specifically Sanchez. He also noted that this was a tactic employed by his father whom he played for. Rex has been around the NFL a long time, he literally grew up around it. He's a clown for sure, that's his style like it or hate it. That doesn't mean that there isn't a level of method to his bombastic madness though. As others have pointed out, it's pretty much working too. We are sitting here discussing Rex and not Sanchez. As for the Jets' fans liking Rex, here's food for thought. In 2 short seasons he is now the all time franchise leader in post-season wins and is the first coach in team history to win playoff games in back to back years. Are there some of us who would probably prefer a "classier" coach, one who doesn't talk as much trash and still wins? Of course there are, but when you are as success starved a fan base as the Jet fans have been over the past 40 years you are likely going to embrace the winning no matter what personality it is packaged in. I get a kick out of Rex most of the time, but i'll admit that there are times when I wish he would just keep quiet for a change. I am also not exactly thrilled with all of the negative distractions this team seems to endure. Yet, here we are in January with football to look forward to for the second year in a row. I'll take it.
This. Ryan also made it a point to say that these two teams matchup in terms of talent pretty equally. Putting that aside for another discussion for the moment, that was his premise for saying it was him against Belichick. If one can't see that he is doing what he can to take both the responsabilty for the 45-3 loss and for this playoff game off the players, you have to be blinded by a dislike for the man. Good coaches know how to instill confidence and find ways to motivate players. Ryan's approach is brash and unconventional, but it has been working. This is what it's all about.Now, not everything he says is so carefully calculated, he often just answers questions honestly without an agenda. Saying it was personal with Manning was likely the later. For any competitor, if a guy keeps beating you, there is a personal aspect that surfaces. Heck, when I was playing league darts, there was a guy that owned me, and I was a pretty good dart player, one of the best in the league, but this guy had my number, he was inside my head. You bet it got personal, until I finally beat him. It was never unfriendly, but it was personal.
So riddle me this...How does Ryan's antics soaking up media attention really affect Sanchez or the team?If he's just deflecting attention off Sanchez, and we all know it's a ploy to deflect attention off Sanchez, how is this actually deflecting attention off Sanchez? Specifically, how do these discussions about Ryan's personality affect the way Sanchez is percieved one way or the other? Are beat writers miraculously convinced that Sanchez is an all-pro because Ryan is sounding off? Do the fans somehow not remember what Sanchez has done when his name comes up?Seriously. Are distracted fans going to help Sanchez play better this weekend when non-distracted fans would influence him to play worse? Is Sanchez going to play better because he obsessively reads media blogs and won't have to read about how inconsistent he is? Or is the Pats defense going to have more to say about how well Sanchez plays this week than will fans or the media? And if they will, what sense does it make to give them added motivation?I think we sometimes get too machiavellian in our analysis when it comes to this stuff. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. If you win, the masses love you. Sanchez isn't going to lose his job in an election where image counts more than substance. If he wins, he keeps his job. The other team has more to say about whether or not he wins than do sports writers, reporters and even fans.

He's pulling the attention off a shaky QB that's all. You think he REALLY cares about him vs BB? I mean I'm sure he does but not like this. He's keeping attention away from Sanchez. Making it about RR vs BB or RR vs Brady - not ALL WORLD BRADY vs Streaky Sanchez.It's smart really. Try to deflect having even more pressure placed on a young and inexperianced QB prone to implosions.Now, he could be smarter about it - the Pats don't need bulletin boatrd motivation. But really, what he said - it's not even bad. And clearly BB - in the running for most humorless coach in the world - thought it amusing this time out.
you give the blowhard too much credit...he doesn't think things through..diarrhea of the mouth

Actually, Ryan is usually asked questions that he just answers. When you see sound bites, they don't include a writer's question, it's only Ryan's answer you see and hear. If you went to the Jets site and listened to his press conferences when they don't get editted down by ESPN, you would understand the guy better, and right now you really don't have a clue about Ryan and why he does what he does. And Ryan genuinely doesn't care what people think of him. In fact, I think he actually gets a kick out of the critisism. Let 'em hate me, let me be a target. You think Ryan is trying to be some sort of people pleaser? LMAO. Not hardly.
Completely false, hense why this thread has been started.He digresses a lot, he just likes the sound of his voice.

But Ryan is 100% in control of what comes out of his mouth when asked those questions. I realize he's spouting off in press conferences and responding to questions. The same way that T.O. or Cromartie don't have to take the bait, neither does Ryan. Just because he's responding to a question doesn't mean that what issues from his mouth afterward isn't voluntary.And you do realize that if he gets a kick out of what people say, that tells me he's listening. If he really doesn't care, why would he be watching the aftermath?

I don't look to coaches for entertainment. I look for them to deliver hardware. Belichick, Julien, Francona... bring me titles, not soundbites.

Rex is nothing more than a bigmouth showboat. Deflecting attention away from his team... :thumbup:

His commercial on NFLN is most telling: "All I want... is for you to stay tuned." Media whore.

I don't look to coaches for entertainment. I look for them to deliver hardware. Belichick, Julien, Francona... bring me titles, not soundbites.

Rex is nothing more than a bigmouth showboat. Deflecting attention away from his team... :hot:

His commercial on NFLN is most telling: "All I want... is for you to stay tuned." Media whore.
Why can't they do both?

Users who are viewing this thread