What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Donald Brown (1 Viewer)

Donald Brown's been way overrated for a while now, but it was anybody's guess which Indy RB, if any was gonna produce tonight.

Donald Brown's been way overrated for a while now, but it was anybody's guess which Indy RB, if any was gonna produce tonight.
probably the guy who they said would START the game.. Mike Hunt, er, Hart.

You're only pissed because it was MNF. You would have known Hart was the starter in time to change your lineup if it was on Sunday.

You're only pissed because it was MNF. You would have known Hart was the starter in time to change your lineup if it was on Sunday.
:coffee: All weekend articles were saying Brown practiced Sat. Think the news of Hart's start came about an hr before the game. No turning back for Brown owners by then.

:goodposting: All weekend articles were saying Brown practiced Sat. Think the news of Hart's start came about an hr before the game. No turning back for Brown owners by then.
He has a right to be a bit angry. The only reason websites like FBGs were saying Brown would start was because of his 1st round pedigree. Nothing on the field has indicated that Brown is ahead of Hart on the depth chart.

:goodposting: All weekend articles were saying Brown practiced Sat. Think the news of Hart's start came about an hr before the game. No turning back for Brown owners by then.
He has a right to be a bit angry. The only reason websites like FBGs were saying Brown would start was because of his 1st round pedigree. Nothing on the field has indicated that Brown is ahead of Hart on the depth chart.
Every shark pooler knew it was a toss up. Hell, I'm almost never in here but I knew enough when I picked up Brown off of waivers the gamble I was taking by starting him. I did it knowing full well I could get even worse than what I ended up with. That's the game.

I can't believe i started him. Thanks Football guys
Go re-read your own topic description. You "listen to FBGs" because you don't want to make your own decisions. When one does that, they have no one to blame but themselves.FBGs makes a recommendation. They don't have a service (yet) called Leading the Lemmings. Quit whining here; it's painfully unbecoming and no one cares.

:goodposting: BOO HOO :pickle:

Any chance we can get some productive discussion on Mike Hart and Brown's injuries? I missed the game and read both were hurt...

Brown's a turd - I wish there was someone worth picking up on the waiver wire.

I'm tired of looking at him on my bench..

probably the guy who they said would START the game.. Mike Hunt, er, Hart.
problem is, i didn't get any email from FBG's with that announcement. WTF? that's what i pay for. shoot me an email. i could give a crap about Randy Moss

Pretty sure everything I read said it was going to be a 50/50 split, and that's how it went for most of the 1st half.

Hart looked much more powerful gaining positive yards on most plays, and seemed to earn more carries in the 2nd half. He got his foot caught under him as he was tackled and went off limping. To me, it did not look as bad or violent a twist as what Pierre Thomas had earlier this year, and Hart limped off under his own power.

Javarris James (undrafted FA) finished out the rest of the game and looked ok.

If it makes the OP feel any better, I started Lynch and his 0.7 points over Hart and DoBro.

Was impressed with Hart's running last night. Much more so than I have been about Brown over the last year or so (thought he showed some early flashes as a rookie) and I was a fan of his coming out of college.

Was impressed with Hart's running last night. Much more so than I have been about Brown over the last year or so (thought he showed some early flashes as a rookie) and I was a fan of his coming out of college.
Hart was very impressive. He ran hard, showed burst and generated positive yardage. Brown looked terrible. He ran soft and had no burst. The latter could possibly be traced to the hamstring injury but given how bad he's generally looked thus far in his career I'm not sure we can blame all of it on a possible lingering injury. I haven't heard what happened to Brown last night in terms of injury (all ESPN said was that he was "down") but looking long term for the Colts I think they need to re-sign Addai and use Hart as his backup. Brown has been a bust so far and it's difficult to envision him suddenly looking significantly better.

hart had insanely huge holes and brown was getting hit in the backfield.

i think part of their gameplan which massively backfired was to assume it was a passing play whenever hart was in

hart had insanely huge holes and brown was getting hit in the backfield. i think part of their gameplan which massively backfired was to assume it was a passing play whenever hart was in
Brown looked slow, he couldn't make anyone miss, he's not explosive. Hart made a few cuts to add yards that I don't think Brown would have made.

Babu Bhatt2 said:
footballnerd said:
videoguy505 said:
:hifive: All weekend articles were saying Brown practiced Sat. Think the news of Hart's start came about an hr before the game. No turning back for Brown owners by then.
It didn't really come down to who started because Brown had ample opportunities to earn the lion's share - Hart was just much more effective with his opportunities.

Babu Bhatt2 said:
footballnerd said:
videoguy505 said:
:hifive: All weekend articles were saying Brown practiced Sat. Think the news of Hart's start came about an hr before the game. No turning back for Brown owners by then.
It didn't really come down to who started because Brown had ample opportunities to earn the lion's share - Hart was just much more effective with his opportunities.
Yup. Brown got enough touches to generate RB3 production. He even got a chance to score from the 2. He simply stunk.

Brown was playing hurt (as was Gonzalez). As a UConn fan, I've watched him run the ball as much as anyone on this board at the college and pro level. Yesterday, he looked like an RB who could not get his lower body to react to what his eyes were telling him -- much like Tomlinson did last year. For comparison's sake, recall how he looked against the Giants in Week 2. As the Colts obfuscate their player injuries by organizational decree, there is no way of knowing what is wrong with Brown. Perhaps he's playing with a torn hamstring that has not fully healed. Perhaps his body has just broken down after serving as a workhorse in college. Who knows? But, no doubt, Brown was a shadow of his former self on Monday night.

hart had insanely huge holes and brown was getting hit in the backfield. i think part of their gameplan which massively backfired was to assume it was a passing play whenever hart was in
This is too anecdotal to take at face value so maybe a Colt fan who catches a replay can verify/explain it better...but I remember seeing one of Brown's later runs, believe he took a draw and there was a massive amount of room to the right of the OL (they were going right to left on TV) and he just plowed right into the line for no gain. I don't think it's as simple as you're making it out to be.

This is too anecdotal to take at face value so maybe a Colt fan who catches a replay can verify/explain it better...but I remember seeing one of Brown's later runs, believe he took a draw and there was a massive amount of room to the right of the OL (they were going right to left on TV) and he just plowed right into the line for no gain. I don't think it's as simple as you're making it out to be.
He had one carry (maybe it's the one you're referring to) when he ran straight into the back of his offensive lineman. That's not a health issue and it's not an offensive line issue. That's a vision and instincts issue.

The most telling sign last night for me was at the end of the first half. Colts 3rd down on the goalline. After Brown got stuffed on first down and an incomplete pass to Wayne on 2 nd they were lined up to run the ball, w Brown in the backfield, Manning didnt like what he saw and called timeout.

They came out w Hart and ran to the right side. Hart got stuffed but that tells me right now Manning feels Hart is the player to have in there when it's crunch time.

Not sure what happens w Harts ankle but IMO when both are healthy Hart is the play. He looked good when given the chance. If Hart is healthy and gets the start he's a better fantasy play than a healthy Addai.

The most telling sign last night for me was at the end of the first half. Colts 3rd down on the goalline. After Brown got stuffed on first down and an incomplete pass to Wayne on 2 nd they were lined up to run the ball, w Brown in the backfield, Manning didnt like what he saw and called timeout.

They came out w Hart and ran to the right side. Hart got stuffed but that tells me right now Manning feels Hart is the player to have in there when it's crunch time.

Not sure what happens w Harts ankle but IMO when both are healthy Hart is the play. He looked good when given the chance. If Hart is healthy and gets the start he's a better fantasy play than a healthy Addai.
Let's not get too carried away.

Brown did not look very good last night, but other than just being a bad RB a few other factors could have played into it.

From watching the game it looked like Hart just got more holes to run through. Brown was hit in the backfield a few times and didn't seem to get a lot of blocking. As someone else posted, this could be because of the plays they called or what the defense expected the colts to do depending on which RB was playing....or it's just Brown.

Brown has been out for a few weeks and only got one full practice in before the game, so he may need some more time to get into "game shape"...both physically and mentally.

When Brown was spelling Addai for a few carries/series here and there earlier in the season he looked pretty good. As an Addai owner I was getting worried that he would start taking more and more carries from Addai.

One of the big negatives that keeps being repeated on the board is Brown's lack of pass protection. I tried to watch for this a little yesterday and didn't really see any problems. I saw him on one of Manning's sacks, but from I could see he blocked the left DE, but someone broke through the middle of the line and got to Manning...nothing Brown could have done about it.

Brown was able to pick up a few 3-and-short situations if I remember correctly. While those plays don't turn in to long plays, they are important for the team.

Brown did not in any way play better than Hart last night, but Brown picked up 1 yard from the 2, while Hart didn't pick up any yards from the 1 even though they put in an additional player to run as FB for him....so Hart didn't really show anything to make him be their goal-line back.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't too long ago that McFadden was a complete bust, a wasted pick. I don't know what Brown will become, but I'm not about to give up on him yet (Dynasty).

grtwhtsk said:
If I remember correctly, it wasn't too long ago that McFadden was a complete bust, a wasted pick. I don't know what Brown will become, but I'm not about to give up on him yet (Dynasty).
McFadden is literally one of the most dominant college running backs ever. Not only that he did it for three straight years in the SEC. He was the sole focus of the best defenses in college for three straight years and still tore them apart, week after week. Please point me to anything Donald Brown has ever done that is even remotely similar.

grtwhtsk said:
McFadden is literally one of the most dominant college running backs ever. Not only that he did it for three straight years in the SEC. He was the sole focus of the best defenses in college for three straight years and still tore them apart, week after week. Please point me to anything Donald Brown has ever done that is even remotely similar.
not saying im a brown supporter but he did lead the nation in rushing in 2008

grtwhtsk said:
try typing out his opponents in 2008 without laughing. I bet you can't do it.

grtwhtsk said:
haha ya i knew the response to that but you did say "remotely"

Fleaflicker reporting that Brown was taken out of the 4th quarter because the coach wanted to see Javarius James play.

grtwhtsk said:
go look at the team dmac was on then. dmac was a better college football player than brown, no doubt. but leading the nation in rushing is nothing to push aside. you can apply this same argument to cj2k and look where that gets you

Fleaflicker reporting that Brown was taken out of the 4th quarter because the coach wanted to see Javarius James play.
That's what Caldwell said today but I'm not buying it. He honestly wanted to put in a player who hadn't played a game in the NFL before when the Colts needed to run the ball to put the game away? That's really something that was in his game plan? I like Caldwell but that doesn't pass the smell test. We know the Colts are ultra-secretive when it comes to injuries and ESPN reported last night that Brown was "down." They didn't say what happened but they clearly seemed to know Brown wasn't coming back in the game. Put it all together and the logical conclusion is that Brown got hurt again.

grtwhtsk said:
go look at the team dmac was on then. dmac was a better college football player than brown, no doubt. but leading the nation in rushing is nothing to push aside. you can apply this same argument to cj2k and look where that gets you
No who else led the nation in rushing? Garrett Wolfe. But I see what you are saying. I was just trying to make a point that there is very little similarity between the two backs, other than having a rough first two seasons.

That's what Caldwell said today but I'm not buying it. He honestly wanted to put in a player who hadn't played a game in the NFL before when the Colts needed to run the ball to put the game away? That's really something that was in his game plan? I like Caldwell but that doesn't pass the smell test. We know the Colts are ultra-secretive when it comes to injuries and ESPN reported last night that Brown was "down." They didn't say what happened but they clearly seemed to know Brown wasn't coming back in the game. Put it all together and the logical conclusion is that Brown got hurt again.
We'll find out soon enough if he practices this week. I would think a limited practice followed by some full participation would be a good sign. If it's full participation for the whole week, he obviously didn't get hurt again.

Users who are viewing this thread