What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drafting from the 4 spot. (1 Viewer)

Did some mocks and looked over some others. I like this spot...a lot. And in a 10 teamer, no PPR, RB/RB is the way. :no: A couple of things stick out.

In R1, you get the last of some good choices; basic. I actually might take Henry over Gore but that's another topic. If LJ is there, I think you gotta go for it. In it to win it, baby.

In R2, you get the last of the RB tier, which is huge...and you don't want to drop one of them to one of the top 3 draft picks. Secondly, if it's WR that you want, you can wait because you will have the same tier of top WR available to you in R3, NOT SO at RB. This only emphasizes the fact that you DO NOT go WR in R2. So another easy decision (MJD, Portis, McGahee, James).

In R3, we have another nice cutoff, where you can get Gates, should you be so inclined. If not, grab that top tier WR now, before the rest of the teams do. Or, if the last of that tier of RBs I talked about (in R2) drops, you could go there. That would depend on how important depth is to you, if your league has trading, etc. Anyway, another easy decision regardless.

In R4, yet another break comes your way, the last of the top QBs (especially in 6pt TD leagues). I'd take whoever it is (Brees, Bulger, Brady) if you are lucky enough to have them there. If not, you are still looking at a top 10 WR (Walker, Fitz, Evans), which is a nice consolation. As for RB's, I don't like what's available here, and you can get the same one in R5 anyway (on the quick turnaround), which won't happen with WR (there's a drop). So WAIT. Keep in mind, this is ANOTHER reason you must go RB/RB to start.

In R5, you have some options: if you didn't go with Gates, grab someone from the next tier here (Gonzo, Shockey, Heap). Otherwise RB would be prudent, and some decent choices remain (MBIII, Norwood, Green, Foster, Taylor). Additionally, it looks like a sizable gap (again) until your next shot at RB, so if you don't have 3 yet, this is where to go.

So what's that, 3 or 4 fairly obvious/significant gaps in tiers available to the 4-hole owner? I like it a lot. :lmao:
:rolleyes: Im in a 10 team, no PPR league as well. This is what I have been seeing in some of my mocks thus far. The dreaded 4 spot doesn't look so scary this year. :no:

I've got the fourth pick in a 10-team non-ppr league. I've been mock drafting a ton and Sonny's right, in the second round you're basically guaranteed the last stud running back or a great receiver. It works out really well. Here's what I've been getting pretty consistently.

1) Gore

2) MJD

3) Best Receiver available, usually Roy Williams but sometimes Wayne.

4) McNabb

5) Evans/Norwood

Gates is available occasionally in the fourth round and I have to take him, and hope that Mcnabb comes back in the fifth.

I've also been thinking about going this way.

1) Gore

2) Harrison

3) Gates

4) McNabb

5) Evans

6) Norwood

7) Betts

I'd be gambling big on Norwood or Betts to put up numbers, but if they do, that leads to a pretty stacked team.

I've got the fourth pick in a 10-team non-ppr league. I've been mock drafting a ton and Sonny's right, in the second round you're basically guaranteed the last stud running back or a great receiver. It works out really well. Here's what I've been getting pretty consistently.1) Gore2) MJD3) Best Receiver available, usually Roy Williams but sometimes Wayne.4) McNabb5) Evans/NorwoodGates is available occasionally in the fourth round and I have to take him, and hope that Mcnabb comes back in the fifth.I've also been thinking about going this way.1) Gore2) Harrison3) Gates4) McNabb5) Evans6) Norwood7) BettsI'd be gambling big on Norwood or Betts to put up numbers, but if they do, that leads to a pretty stacked team.
Gates being available in the 4th in some of those mocks is a joke. No way he should last that long, NONE. You know your league's tendencies, is there any chance of him being there? I'm actually hoping he "drops" to me in the 3rd, knowing my league.What are your roster requirements, btw? If they're anything like mine, you are overvaluing WRs, and undervaluing RBs. It also appears that your league might overvalue QBs, with you "hoping" for McNabb in the 4th. All of which is fine because you can really take advantage of that. What's your scoring for QBs?And regardless of what I just mentioned, do not go the way of that 2nd team. Looks good on paper, sure, but RBs are WAY too valuable in this format to think you can take your 2nd one in the 6th, much less the 4th for that matter. On top of that, with Gore, who clearly is an injury risk, your season is toast if he misses time. Bad idea, honestly.

I've got the fourth pick in a 10-team non-ppr league. I've been mock drafting a ton and Sonny's right, in the second round you're basically guaranteed the last stud running back or a great receiver. It works out really well. Here's what I've been getting pretty consistently.1) Gore2) MJD3) Best Receiver available, usually Roy Williams but sometimes Wayne.4) McNabb5) Evans/NorwoodGates is available occasionally in the fourth round and I have to take him, and hope that Mcnabb comes back in the fifth.I've also been thinking about going this way.1) Gore2) Harrison3) Gates4) McNabb5) Evans6) Norwood7) BettsI'd be gambling big on Norwood or Betts to put up numbers, but if they do, that leads to a pretty stacked team.
Gates being available in the 4th in some of those mocks is a joke. No way he should last that long, NONE. You know your league's tendencies, is there any chance of him being there? I'm actually hoping he "drops" to me in the 3rd, knowing my league.What are your roster requirements, btw? If they're anything like mine, you are overvaluing WRs, and undervaluing RBs. It also appears that your league might overvalue QBs, with you "hoping" for McNabb in the 4th. All of which is fine because you can really take advantage of that. What's your scoring for QBs?And regardless of what I just mentioned, do not go the way of that 2nd team. Looks good on paper, sure, but RBs are WAY too valuable in this format to think you can take your 2nd one in the 6th, much less the 4th for that matter. On top of that, with Gore, who clearly is an injury risk, your season is toast if he misses time. Bad idea, honestly.
My league scoring for qbs is 5 points for a touchdown and one point for every 50 yards passing, with six points for rushing and receiving tds and 1 point for every 20 yards. The rest of the league definitely overvalues qbs, but I think McNabb will have a big year and will be a great value in the fourth or fifth round. Or at least part of a big year and this is a total points league, not head-to-head, so it makes more sense to draft him than in most leagues. Some of the other guys in this league are pretty dumb, though, so I can't always predict accurately where players will go- some way too early or some too late.And really when it came down to it, I never would have drafted that second team in a real draft with money on the line, because you're right, it's too risky. It' s just something I was messing around with in mocks and was curious as to what everyone else thought. Anyway, to take it back away from league specifics, what is everyone thinking for rounds 3-6? I'm pretty sure I'm going RB/RB in the first two rounds but am undecided after that.

I'm in limbo - can anyone help out with these scoring requirements

Start

2QB

3WR

2RB

1TE

1 RB/WR

1 K

1 DEF

All TD's 6 points

0.5 ppr

1 pt per 10 yards rushing

1 pt per 25 yards passing

1 pt per 20 return yards

-2 int

-2 fumble lost

I wanna go Willie Parker and hope MJD is there in the 2nd but it is torturing me that Manning is the right decision at the #4 and grab a guy like MJD or Portis in the 2nd.

Gates in the 3rd

I suspect Edge or Deuce will be available in the 4th and grab Cutler as my 2nd QB in the 5th.

Looking to go low on the WR's ie grab Coles, Galloway, Bruce

I'm in limbo - can anyone help out with these scoring requirementsStart2QB3WR2RB1TE1 RB/WR1 K1 DEFAll TD's 6 points0.5 ppr1 pt per 10 yards rushing1 pt per 25 yards passing1 pt per 20 return yards-2 int-2 fumble lostI wanna go Willie Parker and hope MJD is there in the 2nd but it is torturing me that Manning is the right decision at the #4 and grab a guy like MJD or Portis in the 2nd.Gates in the 3rdI suspect Edge or Deuce will be available in the 4th and grab Cutler as my 2nd QB in the 5th.Looking to go low on the WR's ie grab Coles, Galloway, Bruce
How many teams are in your league? Manning probably is the right pick at four with those requirements. And I'm not sure I could justify taking Gates early when there are so many other skill positions to fill. Gates is almost definitely going to have a huge year but I would probably go 3 RBs and 2 QBs for my first five picks. I've never played in a two-QB league, so I might not have the strategy down properly, but that's what makes sense to me.

I'm in limbo - can anyone help out with these scoring requirementsStart2QB3WR2RB1TE1 RB/WR1 K1 DEFAll TD's 6 points0.5 ppr1 pt per 10 yards rushing1 pt per 25 yards passing1 pt per 20 return yards-2 int-2 fumble lostI wanna go Willie Parker and hope MJD is there in the 2nd but it is torturing me that Manning is the right decision at the #4 and grab a guy like MJD or Portis in the 2nd.Gates in the 3rdI suspect Edge or Deuce will be available in the 4th and grab Cutler as my 2nd QB in the 5th.Looking to go low on the WR's ie grab Coles, Galloway, Bruce
How many teams are in your league? Manning probably is the right pick at four with those requirements. And I'm not sure I could justify taking Gates early when there are so many other skill positions to fill. Gates is almost definitely going to have a huge year but I would probably go 3 RBs and 2 QBs for my first five picks. I've never played in a two-QB league, so I might not have the strategy down properly, but that's what makes sense to me.
I agree, and I've never done a two QB league either. I'd also lay low on TE until the middle of the draft.

its a 10 team leagueI've been toying with the idea of goingFWPMcnabbGatesDeuceCutlerI think FWP and Gates are in for Monster Years - McNabb was on pace to do just as well as Manning last year.

its a 10 team league

I've been toying with the idea of going

FWP

Mcnabb

Gates

Deuce

Cutler

I think FWP and Gates are in for Monster Years - McNabb was on pace to do just as well as Manning last year.

I don't know, I'm not sold on FWP for some reason. Although it looks like you're a Steelers fan, so it makes sense why you would want him on your team. I think going Manning/MJD or Maroney will give you the same production as FWP/Mcnabb and is a lot less risky.

1.4 Henry2.7 Harrison/Smith/TO3.4 McGahee/Portis/Palmer/GatesIf Henry gets taken at 1.3 I'm gonna :shrug: :hot: :lmao:
Isnt that a little high for henry? why not trade down if your going to do that.
I see alot of guys in this forum extremely high on T Henry this year. I agree that his ceiling is high, but this is Satanahan calling the shots for crissakes. Henry could have a bad game or two and be benched. Or Satanahan could have a wet dream, look at the pattern of the stain, and decide to switch running backs in quarter two and four for the odd numbered weeks.

10 teamer from the 4th.

6pt pass Tds, big points of Ds holding to low points.

1. (4) Peyton Manning QB

2. (17) Clinton Portis RB

3. (24) Cedric Benson RB

4. (37) T.J. Houshmandzadeh WR

5. (44) Carnell Williams RB

6. (57) Calvin Johnson WR

7. (64) Chicago DEF

8. (77) Braylon Edwards WR

9. (84) Ladell Betts RB

10. (97) DeShaun Foster RB

11. (104) D.J. Hackett WR

12. (117) Brandon Jackson RB

13. (124) Benjamin Watson TE

14. (137) Chris Brown RB

15. (144) Jason Campbell QB

16. (157) Olindo Mare K

And Roeth went undrafted, sucks he shares the same bye as Manning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Draft is Tuesday night. 12 teamer with 6 point passing TDs and 0.5 per reception. Hoping LJ falls to me at #4. Otherwise, I'm considering Gore. Westbrook looks great in PPR but I'm a little worried about him being fragile. I keep flip-flopping. Can't decide.

Can someone link the topics "drafting in the ___ spot like it was last year. Search doesn't work well because of the number in the topic. Thanks. :unsure:

Sorry, just saw this was pinned.

its a 10 team leagueI've been toying with the idea of goingFWPMcnabbGatesDeuceCutlerI think FWP and Gates are in for Monster Years - McNabb was on pace to do just as well as Manning last year.
I would have no problem going Manning-RB-Gates in that league. Yes, you'll then need to work on RB & WR hard, while grabbing a QB2, but that's a big leg up.

Ugh. Draft is tomorrow night. Have the 4th pick. Latest projections have Westbrook 3rd, LJ 4th, Bush 5th, and Gore 6th in my scoring system. Bush/Gore are separated by one point.

I love Reggie Bush but I can't see taking him that early and I'm not taking Westbrook there either. Anyone think I'm crazy?

Assuming LJ is there, I'm taking him. Otherwise I'm leaning toward Gore.

Ugh. Draft is tomorrow night. Have the 4th pick. Latest projections have Westbrook 3rd, LJ 4th, Bush 5th, and Gore 6th in my scoring system. Bush/Gore are separated by one point.I love Reggie Bush but I can't see taking him that early and I'm not taking Westbrook there either. Anyone think I'm crazy?Assuming LJ is there, I'm taking him. Otherwise I'm leaning toward Gore.
Yeah, I just can't take Bush that early. Westbrook, maybe. The other two are fine, even if they don't catch much. Tough to discern any big differences there, so go with what you think's the safest. LJ, Gore, Westbrook, Bush, imo.

Ugh. Draft is tomorrow night. Have the 4th pick. Latest projections have Westbrook 3rd, LJ 4th, Bush 5th, and Gore 6th in my scoring system. Bush/Gore are separated by one point.I love Reggie Bush but I can't see taking him that early and I'm not taking Westbrook there either. Anyone think I'm crazy?Assuming LJ is there, I'm taking him. Otherwise I'm leaning toward Gore.
Yeah, I just can't take Bush that early. Westbrook, maybe. The other two are fine, even if they don't catch much. Tough to discern any big differences there, so go with what you think's the safest. LJ, Gore, Westbrook, Bush, imo.
The only thing pushing those guys up that high is the 0.5 PPR. I'm just hoping LJ falls and makes this handwringing moot.

MJD, Portis, McGahee, James
The only issue with your RB2, is what if you hate all of these guys? Benson, T.Jones, Lynch, hell Jackson could match the output of that RB2, why not hit up TO?

I want to take Gore so badly in my standard non-PPR league but I'm worried about the injury history.. leaning towards Parker

Debating my plan of attack for the 4-spot in 12-team redraft, all tds equal. Obviously plans will likely change on draft day, but I like to have a little blueprint.

Some of these players listed might be stretches, but you never know.

Plan RB1: RB/RB/WR/WR/RB

LJ/Gore (I really really like Addai but I'm talking myself out of it)

Portis/MJD/Brown/McGahee/Edge

Wayne/Fitzgerald/Owens (assumptions: Holt/Harrison/CJohnson, SSmith gone)

Driver/Evans/Burress/AJohnson

Lewis/AGreen/Norwood

Plan RB2: RB/RB/WR/RB/WR

LJ/Gore

Portis/MJD/Brown/McGahee/Edge

Wayne/Fitzgerald/Owens (assumptions: Holt/Harrison/CJohnson/SSmith gone)

APeterson/TJones/Jacobs

SMoss/Edwards/Ward

Plan WR: RB/WR/WR/RB/RB

LJ/Gore

Holt/Harrison/CJohnson/SSmith

Wayne/Fitzgerald/Owens

APeterson/TJones/Jacobs

Lewis/AGreen/Norwood

Anything look weird here?

I'm probably ignoring QBs yet again this year early on, but if there is great value in the 3rd (Palmer) or 4th (Brady/Bulger), I'll bite. I just don't see that happening. And if I went RB/WR/WR/QB, I really think I'll be hurting too bad at RB all year.

Last year I waited too long for a QB and killed myself with Warner/Brooks/Leinart. This year, the 7th round for us looks to be a good spot to get our QB. We're the 4th pick in that round, and I think the LT2 and SJax teams will already have QBs, so there will probably be no need to grab one in the 6th. Then I always like to come back around the 10th and get that solid backup (and maybe start a mini-QB run) as there are some teams I really want to avoid QB at this year unless it is my #3 (KC, CLE, MIN, OAK...and possibly MIA and ATL).

As far as TE goes, I'll be happy waiting a long time this year no matter what position I'm drafting in, unless great value pops up for Gates. Again, unlikely. See who's left around the 8th/9th rounds and determine if you can wait longer or if the right guy is there to snag.

I drafted out of the 4 spot last week in my local 12 team $$ league as follows:

FYI, it's a 1RB 3WR 1TE 0.5 PPR league with a Flex RB/WR/TE

RB WR RB QB WR RB QB TE WR WR for the 1st 10 rounds. The results...

Larry Johnson

Marvin Harrison

Ronnie Brown

Drew Brees

Calvin Johnson

Adrian Peterson

Tony Romo (liked his value in the 7th more than the WR's then available, even though with Brees it's overkill, he's likely trade bait to upgrade WR3)

Isaac Bruce

Joe Horn

Thus the core of my team is

QB: Brees, Romo

RB: Johnson, Brown, Peterson

WR: Harrison, Calvin Johnson, Bruce, Horn

TE: Watson

I'm pretty happy with the way it fell out to be honest. I went into the 4 spot not real happy with the players I expected to be there, and found WR's flew off the board earlier than my draft spots. I would have liked a sexier WR3, but prefer the steadier production of older vets like Bruce/Horn.

I also added Michael Turner in the 11th, Bennett in the 16th as a handcuff for LJ, and WR's Furrey, Crayton, Williamson, and Hester in later rounds. My backup TE is Pollard, K is Nedney, and defense is Miami.

The 4 spot turned out to be better than I expected, at least in this particular draft.

1st year dynasty with 1 point per rec. I'm going with Bush here. The rest of the draft I'm going best player available.

Drafting #4 in a ten team re-draft, no PPR this Thursday night.

I know that the draft is going LT, SJax, and LJ.

I am on the fence between Addai & Gore. Safer move seems to be Gore, based on ADP & lots of different projections. My gut tells me Addai. Not sure which way I am going with this yet.

Round 2 I am going best available RB

Round 3 I most likely going best available WR

Round 4 I am probably taking another RB, even though we only start 2 RBs. Assuming there are some decent guys out there, that it my pick.

I went Addai,MJD,Palmer in my Omega 10 draft Sunday from the 4 hole.........

Pretty happy with that

Just finished my 12-team redraft league draft with the 4th pick. 6 points for all TDs, 1 point per 25 passing and 10 rushing/receiving and 0.5 PPR. Minus two for INTs and fumbles lost.

We start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, FLEX, TE, D/ST, and K.

Crazy RB heavy in the first two rounds. Only non-RBs taken in these rounds were Manning, Palmer, and Steve Smith (me).

01.04 - Larry Johnson (RB)

02.09 - Steve Smith (WR)

03.04 - Adrian Peterson (RB)

04.09 - Ahman Green (RB)

05.04 - Lee Evans (WR)

06.09 - Braylon Edwards (WR)

07.04 - Kellen Winslow (TE)

08.09 - Deshaun Foster (RB)

09.04 - Philip Rivers (QB)

10.09 - Jay Cutler (QB)

11.04 - Kevin Jones (RB)

12.09 - Denver (D/ST)

13.04 - Brandon Marshall (WR)

14.09 - J.P. Losman (QB)

15.04 - Josh Scobee (K)

16.09 - David Boston (WR)

First round went: LT, Manning :rolleyes: , SJax, LJ, Alexander, Gore, Addai, Westbrook, Rudi, Parker, Maroney, and Bush.

Debating my plan of attack for the 4-spot in 12-team redraft, all tds equal. Obviously plans will likely change on draft day, but I like to have a little blueprint.Some of these players listed might be stretches, but you never know.Plan RB1: RB/RB/WR/WR/RBLJ/Gore (I really really like Addai but I'm talking myself out of it)Portis/MJD/Brown/McGahee/EdgeWayne/Fitzgerald/Owens (assumptions: Holt/Harrison/CJohnson, SSmith gone)Driver/Evans/Burress/AJohnsonLewis/AGreen/NorwoodPlan RB2: RB/RB/WR/RB/WRLJ/GorePortis/MJD/Brown/McGahee/EdgeWayne/Fitzgerald/Owens (assumptions: Holt/Harrison/CJohnson/SSmith gone)APeterson/TJones/JacobsSMoss/Edwards/WardPlan WR: RB/WR/WR/RB/RBLJ/GoreHolt/Harrison/CJohnson/SSmith Wayne/Fitzgerald/Owens APeterson/TJones/JacobsLewis/AGreen/NorwoodAnything look weird here?I'm probably ignoring QBs yet again this year early on, but if there is great value in the 3rd (Palmer) or 4th (Brady/Bulger), I'll bite. I just don't see that happening. And if I went RB/WR/WR/QB, I really think I'll be hurting too bad at RB all year.Last year I waited too long for a QB and killed myself with Warner/Brooks/Leinart. This year, the 7th round for us looks to be a good spot to get our QB. We're the 4th pick in that round, and I think the LT2 and SJax teams will already have QBs, so there will probably be no need to grab one in the 6th. Then I always like to come back around the 10th and get that solid backup (and maybe start a mini-QB run) as there are some teams I really want to avoid QB at this year unless it is my #3 (KC, CLE, MIN, OAK...and possibly MIA and ATL).As far as TE goes, I'll be happy waiting a long time this year no matter what position I'm drafting in, unless great value pops up for Gates. Again, unlikely. See who's left around the 8th/9th rounds and determine if you can wait longer or if the right guy is there to snag.
Like your thinking. What if Brees is there in the 3rd/4th? Actually, I'm leaning toward your option #3. I won't take Ronnie Brown in the 2nd round in any circumstance. Probably the same for Edge. MJD or Portis? Definitely. If I don't get that caliber of back I'm going WR/QB (likely) in rounds 2/3, then try for one of the backs you mentioned in the 4th round. WR's are deep - but I want one stud in a 3 WR start league. If I get one, I think I can get startable wideouts in the seventh-tenth rounds to fill the roster. If I can get say Gore, then a Holt caliber WR, then Brady or Brees (Peyton and Palmer likely to be gone, but maybe CP lasts), then I think I have the start of a championship team (all TD's 6 points, hence the goal to get a good QB). I too got burned by QBBC last year. If I do get a quality RB in round two (first choice), then I will likely go WR in round 3 and then get a tier 2 QB in round 4 or 5 (McNabb type, maybe Kitna though with -2 for INT's he scares me). One thing I WON'T do - reach for some tier 3 RB in round two just because he's a starter. I'd rather take flyers and get studs in other positions.

Debating my plan of attack for the 4-spot in 12-team redraft, all tds equal. Obviously plans will likely change on draft day, but I like to have a little blueprint.Some of these players listed might be stretches, but you never know.Plan RB1: RB/RB/WR/WR/RBLJ/Gore (I really really like Addai but I'm talking myself out of it)Portis/MJD/Brown/McGahee/EdgeWayne/Fitzgerald/Owens (assumptions: Holt/Harrison/CJohnson, SSmith gone)Driver/Evans/Burress/AJohnsonLewis/AGreen/NorwoodPlan RB2: RB/RB/WR/RB/WRLJ/GorePortis/MJD/Brown/McGahee/EdgeWayne/Fitzgerald/Owens (assumptions: Holt/Harrison/CJohnson/SSmith gone)APeterson/TJones/JacobsSMoss/Edwards/WardPlan WR: RB/WR/WR/RB/RBLJ/GoreHolt/Harrison/CJohnson/SSmith Wayne/Fitzgerald/Owens APeterson/TJones/JacobsLewis/AGreen/NorwoodAnything look weird here?I'm probably ignoring QBs yet again this year early on, but if there is great value in the 3rd (Palmer) or 4th (Brady/Bulger), I'll bite. I just don't see that happening. And if I went RB/WR/WR/QB, I really think I'll be hurting too bad at RB all year.Last year I waited too long for a QB and killed myself with Warner/Brooks/Leinart. This year, the 7th round for us looks to be a good spot to get our QB. We're the 4th pick in that round, and I think the LT2 and SJax teams will already have QBs, so there will probably be no need to grab one in the 6th. Then I always like to come back around the 10th and get that solid backup (and maybe start a mini-QB run) as there are some teams I really want to avoid QB at this year unless it is my #3 (KC, CLE, MIN, OAK...and possibly MIA and ATL).As far as TE goes, I'll be happy waiting a long time this year no matter what position I'm drafting in, unless great value pops up for Gates. Again, unlikely. See who's left around the 8th/9th rounds and determine if you can wait longer or if the right guy is there to snag.
Like your thinking. What if Brees is there in the 3rd/4th? Actually, I'm leaning toward your option #3. I won't take Ronnie Brown in the 2nd round in any circumstance. Probably the same for Edge. MJD or Portis? Definitely. If I don't get that caliber of back I'm going WR/QB (likely) in rounds 2/3, then try for one of the backs you mentioned in the 4th round. WR's are deep - but I want one stud in a 3 WR start league. If I get one, I think I can get startable wideouts in the seventh-tenth rounds to fill the roster. If I can get say Gore, then a Holt caliber WR, then Brady or Brees (Peyton and Palmer likely to be gone, but maybe CP lasts), then I think I have the start of a championship team (all TD's 6 points, hence the goal to get a good QB). I too got burned by QBBC last year. If I do get a quality RB in round two (first choice), then I will likely go WR in round 3 and then get a tier 2 QB in round 4 or 5 (McNabb type, maybe Kitna though with -2 for INT's he scares me). One thing I WON'T do - reach for some tier 3 RB in round two just because he's a starter. I'd rather take flyers and get studs in other positions.
OK, so I think Brady/Palmer in the 3rd I would do, but moreso if I have RB/WR already. Something just smells funny about Brees this year. I think I'll pass on him unless he slides into the 4th or 5th for some reason. I'd rather take a shot in the 7th/8th on Young. The issue I see with Brady/Palmer in the 3rd....I think smart LT owners are going to be all over these two this year, which means we might have to take one in the 2nd. If your draft is flowing and you think there is a good chance to land one of Wayne/Fitzgerald/Owens/Holt/Harrison/CJohnson/SSmith in the 3rd, then maybe this would work. There is risk there becaues if they are gone, you are looking at RWilliams/Housh or those RBs like Brown/Edge/TJones. Tough choice.I do think I like Portis or MJD in the 2nd if they are there. That might put me out of the QB derby as I would like to get a WR in the 3rd unless Palmer is sitting there.

I have done a few mock drafts at #4 for a 10 team, nonPPR lg and I have found that you will want to get a WR by the 3rd rnd at the latest. In my last mock, I tried going RB/RB/RB/QB/WR to see what I would get. Below are the results from the first 7 picks:1.04 Gore2.07 McGahee3.04 Edge4.07 Brees5.04 AJohnson6.07 Plax7.04 HeapI had all the intention of going RB/WR/RB/QB, but seeing McGahee and Edge sitting there at my picks really negated that strategy. I think I fell into a trap with this one. So I wanted to throw this out there to the Shark Pool as an FYI. If I do any more mocks, I'll update them here.

Just finished my draft:

Scoring:

3pts for Passing TDs

6pts for Rushing/Receiving

1pt for every 30 passing

1pt for every 15 rushing

Start:

1 QB

1 RB

1 WR

3 Flex

1 TE

1 K

1 D

1.04 - Joseph Addai

2.09 - Clinton Portis

3.04 - Roy Williams

4.09 - Marques Colston

5.04 - Fred Taylor

6.09 - Vernon Davis

7.04 - Deion Branch

8.09 - Ben Roethlisberger

9.04 - Kevin Jones

10.09 - Alex Smith

11.04 - Ronald Curry

12.09 - Jason Hanson

13.04 - Jaguars

14.04 - Lawrence Tynes (have to roster 2 kickers. go figure.)

Notes:

1.04 - I wanted Gore, but he went at 1.03. I have no faith in LJ this year (line, # carries, QB situation, etc.), so I went with Addai. Even if he's mediocre, he should score a bunch of TDs in the Colts offense. I don't know if he'll end up top 5, but I felt comfortable taking that chance on him, rather than on LJ or Shaun Alexander.

2.09 - It was very RB heavy the first two rounds, but I was targeting Portis here and got him. I'm one of those guys who thinks he's been playing possum this pre-season. If it wasn't so RB heavy, I was going to go with one of the top 5 WR1s and hope he fell to me at 3.04, but it wasn't to be.

3.04 - The last of this tier of WRs I was interested in. TO, Reggie Wayne and CJ went just before him, in that order. This year doesn't seem to be the year to go RB-RB-RB from the 4 spot, as there's a big drop off in WRs after this point.

4.09 - I was happy to scoop up Colston here, although I was targeting Lee Evans. Evans went the pick before me.

5.04 - I was targeting Fred here. I think he's a nice RB3, and still has a lot left. He could get 8-9 TDs this year, if he's able to cut into MJDs TD production a bit. (MJD went at 2.02, by the way).

6.09 - This was probably a reach, as everyone in the draft was shocked that I chose him here. I think he has a legitimate chance to finish as TE2, however, and I thought I had a good base from which to take a chance on him here. I probably could have gotten him at 7.04

7.04 - I couldn't believe Deion Branch was still hanging around, so this was a no brainer. Potential WR1 upside at a WR3 price. I was thinking QB here, but the last of the tier I was looking at, Tony Romo, went the pick before.

8.09 - This was the next QB chosen after Romo, so I didn't feel too bad about passing up QB at 7.04. I don't know how good I feel about him starting for me every week, but the Steelers seem to be opening it up a bit this year. I started feeling better about my reach for Vernon at this point, as 7 TEs went off the board between 7.04 and 8.09.

9.04 - This was a high-reward/low-risk pick. I'll stash him away for a few weeks and see how his foot is coming along. If he's healthy, and the Lions score like they're expected to, this could be a great value pick for me.

10.09 - Favre, Delhomme and Schaub were available here, but if I can spot start Smith and he finds Vernon a few times, all the better for me.

11.04 - Hopefully I can get a week or two out of him, if Culpepper proves competent this season. If not, no biggie.

12.09,13.04,14.09, whatever.

I'm pretty happy overall. If Portis is healthy, KJ comes along, and my QBs are middling, I could be in it.

Had my draft this weekend. 12 team redraft shark league, no ppr. #4 slot. LT/SJAX/Gore went first 3 as expected. For me the choice was between LJ and Addai. Went with LJ. Was hoping that MJD would somehow be available coming back, but when Steve Smith was still on the board I had to take him. Ended up getting MJD anyway at 3.4. As expected the top 6 QB's were all gone by mid 3rd round (McNabb, the last, went the pick after me). Then took Adrian Peterson in the 4th. Here's what my roster looks like with that strategy. Hoping my RB depth (if AP goes off and KJ comes back at some point) will help me shore up WR corp. Start 1 QB/2RB/3WR

QB's

Romo

Rothlesberger

RB's

LJ

MJD

ADPeterson

KJones

Brian Leonard

WR

Steve Smith

Braylon Edwards

Galloway

James Jones

K

Shayne Graham

D

Dolphins

Vikings

12 intial Dynasty/IDP 1 point/Per

1. Bush

2. Chad Johnson

3. Brees

4. Caddy

5. Amand Green

6. Hines Ward

7. Joey Galloway

8. Kevin Jones.

For those still with drafts this week....

12-team Redraft, all TDs 7pts, 1pt/10yd rush/rec, 1pt/25yd pass, -2int.

My strategy was to see who was available in round 2 as far as RB goes and decide if I could wait until Rd4/5 to get my #2. I ended up waiting and I think I like my team.

3rd - Palmer (total suprise he was on the board, Brees went the pick prior to this)

13th - Pennington

16th - McNair

1st - Addai (I can't tell you how many times I flopped between Addai and Gore, LJ went #3)

4th - J. Lewis (Housh was on the board here amazingly but I couldn't bring myself to go Palmer/CJ/TJ)

5th - A. Peterson

11th L. Washington

20th - K. Keith

2nd - Chad Johnson

6th - S. Holmes

7th - Stallworth

8th - Henderson

9th - Cotchery

19th - Dem Williams

10th - LJ Smith

12th - Dallas Clark

Stover