What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draftniks: Talk to me about the OL talent (1 Viewer)

Mungo Burrows

Footballguy
Can someone give me a rundown on the following guys. These questions don't necessarily apply to all of them, but I'm looking for things like the following:

* Which are better runblockers vs. Pass blockers?

* Which are considered NFL ready vs. projects.

* What are their likely best positions? for the tackles, which are considered capable of playing Left vs. Right (or both).

* Any "character issues" with them?

Joe Staley OT

Justin Blalock OG-OT (can he really play tackle in the NFL?)

Ryan Kalil - C

Tony Ugoh - OT

Ben Grubbs - OG

Any others?

I'm looking at this as a Ravens' fan trying to figure out what to expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone give me a rundown on the following guys. These questions don't necessarily apply to all of them, but I'm looking for things like the following:

* What are their likely best positions? for the tackles, which are considered capable of playing Left vs. Right (or both).

Joe Staley OT

Ryan Kalil - C

Tony Ugoh - OT

Ben Grubbs - OG

Any others?

Draftguys OT rankings/scouting reportsCenter and Guard should be up within a week or so. I have my rankings done, but I need to write scouting reports. I also need to work on my 7 round mock, the bloom 100 51-100, our latest "On the clock" features, editing and formatting everyone else's work, and writing the great american novel (ok I made the last one up).

of the non tackles you listed, grubbs and blalock are the best drive run blockers. Kalil is the best zone blocking run blocker. Blalock is unlikely to stay at tackle, but he could be a decent RT in a pinch.

I expect the Ravens to go with Staley, assuming he doesn't earlier.

Ugoh has possible dedication issues, no other character issues in the group you named. Ugoh and Staley are both somewhat projects. Staley is a natural LT, Ugoh has the athleticism and frame to play LT, but plays more like an OG/RT

Joe Staley OT

Ryan Kalil - C

Tony Ugoh - OT

Ben Grubbs - OG

Any others?

Draftguys OT rankings/scouting reportsCenter and Guard should be up within a week or so. I have my rankings done, but I need to write scouting reports. I also need to work on my 7 round mock, the bloom 100 51-100, our latest "On the clock" features, editing and formatting everyone else's work, and writing the great american novel (ok I made the last one up).

of the non tackles you listed, grubbs and blalock are the best drive run blockers. Kalil is the best zone blocking run blocker. Blalock is unlikely to stay at tackle, but he could be a decent RT in a pinch.

Ugoh has possible dedication issues, no other character issues in the group you named. Ugoh and Staley are both somewhat projects. Staley is a natural LT, Ugoh has the athleticism and frame to play LT, but plays more like an OG/RT
I have been seeing a lot of Staley to the Ravens talk and wonder about Adam Terry? Has he not progressed? His back causing problems again (or was that Wesley Britt that I am thinking of)? Terry at RT, Staley at LT when Ogden retires?

Draftguys OT rankings/scouting reports

Center and Guard should be up within a week or so. I have my rankings done, but I need to write scouting reports. I also need to work on my 7 round mock, the bloom 100 51-100, our latest "On the clock" features, editing and formatting everyone else's work, and writing the great american novel (ok I made the last one up).

Thanks. I had looked at your site's rankings but they only had the true tackles and not the interior guys so I was trying to see how they all fit in. Interior guys are nice, but we really need a good tackle out of this draft.

Joe Staley OT

Ryan Kalil - C

Tony Ugoh - OT

Ben Grubbs - OG

Any others?

I have been seeing a lot of Staley to the Ravens talk and wonder about Adam Terry? Has he not progressed? His back causing problems again (or was that Wesley Britt that I am thinking of)? Terry at RT, Staley at LT when Ogden retires?
sounds right to me. Terry should start at RT this year.

Joe Staley OT

Ryan Kalil - C

Tony Ugoh - OT

Ben Grubbs - OG

Any others?

With Pashos gone in FA this year, Terry is already expected to move into the starting lineup this year. They need a solid backup and someone to step in when Ogden retires, which will happen very soon.

Joe Staley OT

Ryan Kalil - C

Tony Ugoh - OT

Ben Grubbs - OG

Any others?

With Pashos gone in FA this year, Terry is already expected to move into the starting lineup this year. They need a solid backup and someone to step in when Ogden retires, which will happen very soon.
Thanks, it made sense and I figured that was the plan but just wanted to make sure. I was pretty high on Terry when he came out and thought the Ravens found great value with the pick.

Kalil looks NFL ready from day 1 at center or guard, from what I hear, and what I've seen. should be able to play all 3 of those spots.

stevegamer said:
Kalil looks NFL ready from day 1 at center or guard, from what I hear, and what I've seen. should be able to play all 3 of those spots.
I like what I've seen from Kalil, and I see him in the same vein as the former NY Jet Kevin Mawae, with good quickness and the ability to pull.Alan Barbre should also get some nice attention at LT.

stevegamer said:
I like what I've seen from Kalil, and I see him in the same vein as the former NY Jet Kevin Mawae, with good quickness and the ability to pull.Alan Barbre should also get some nice attention at LT.
That is pretty high praise there. Do you think he is a better prospect than Mangold last year? Same level?

stevegamer said:
That is pretty high praise there. Do you think he is a better prospect than Mangold last year? Same level?
:yes: But not by much. From what I've seen, if the two were switched interchangibly on a ZBS team, it would become very evident that Kalil is the better fit than Mangold. Both are similar in that they are undersized, making them good fits for the ZBS but Kalil has far and away much better quickness both downfield and laterally, allowing him to both make blocks downfield and step out and close lanes of penetration. He's also better with his hands and gets them under the pads more often- and will dominate smaller DT's as we saw in the Senior Bowl. He is a huge asset in the running game but made strides this year in pass protection and looked virtually flawless in those one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl. Bull rushes wont be a problem for Kalil, but playing against a 3-4 NT may give him some issues. Because he relies on the placement of his hands in situating for a block, larger NT's simply may push him back into the QB. Then again, he flat out dominated Alan Branch, a player whom I love and who has 20-30 lbs on Kalil, in the Rose Bowl. He will be a Pro-Bowl fixture when its all said and done.

stevegamer said:
:yes: But not by much. From what I've seen, if the two were switched interchangibly on a ZBS team, it would become very evident that Kalil is the better fit than Mangold. Both are similar in that they are undersized, making them good fits for the ZBS but Kalil has far and away much better quickness both downfield and laterally, allowing him to both make blocks downfield and step out and close lanes of penetration. He's also better with his hands and gets them under the pads more often- and will dominate smaller DT's as we saw in the Senior Bowl. He is a huge asset in the running game but made strides this year in pass protection and looked virtually flawless in those one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl. Bull rushes wont be a problem for Kalil, but playing against a 3-4 NT may give him some issues. Because he relies on the placement of his hands in situating for a block, larger NT's simply may push him back into the QB. Then again, he flat out dominated Alan Branch, a player whom I love and who has 20-30 lbs on Kalil, in the Rose Bowl. He will be a Pro-Bowl fixture when its all said and done.
Sorry to double-post but i forgot to mention that the reason Kalil is so much more effective with his hands extended is that he has significantly more upperbody strength than Mangold. As evidenced by the combine numbers, Kalil put up an eye-popping 34 reps of 225 while Mangold only managed 24 last year. His hand-punches are just so much more effective. Great explosion also to knock back/over a stunned DT.

Users who are viewing this thread