What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Driver wants out of GB, Contract not re-done (1 Viewer)

Big Score

Footballguy
Just watching Sports Center and turns out Driver wants out.

Apparently he was promised by the Pack that would re do his contract a couple of years ago.

He's saying trade me or release me.

:lmao:

if true then that is just too funny.
It's true. I just saw it.My bet is the previous regime made this promise to Driver and now the new regime, Ted Thompson, is not wanting to honor that promise.

Considering the Pack's money situation, Drivers steady production and the fact that Walker is as good as gone since the Pack have now officially given him permission to seek a trade, Thompson would be :crazy: not to honor the promise and renegotiate Driver's contract.

I'm not even mentioning how future players would view Ted Thompson & the Green Bay, if Driver is not taken care of.

EDIT: For typo

Last edited by a moderator:

Apparently he was promised by the Pack that would re do his contract a couple of years ago.

A couple of years ago? He signed I believe a 5 year extension in 2002/2003. I can understand a new extension now, but I don't believe this started in 2004.

A guy like Driver (and other Green Bay players) who have been stand up guys and play hard every week, probably question how the organization (& media) can cater to “Lord” Favre’s every need and want on one hand and ignore their needs and wants on the other.

If Walker and Driver leave dear lord who is going to be the #1, #2 next year??
They have Ferguson and Gardner.Both guy's value are rising... first Favre comes back... then Walker looks like he's gone... now Driver?

I got Fergsuon in a dynasty, what do you guys think?

A couple of years ago? He signed I believe a 5 year extension in 2002/2003. I can understand a new extension now, but I don't believe this started in 2004.
Just reporting what I heard ESPN commentators say Kleck.

Driver's not going anywhere ... he is just picking an opportune time to extort a little cash ...

He will never have more leveredge, and he aint getting any younger ...

I've also heard that Ferguson's injury is so bad he may be done for his career.

So that means Rod Gardner and Charles Woodson as #1 and #2. I bet Favre will be thrilled with his decision.

Honestly though, if I were these receivers I'd want out too. Favre just isn't the same anymore and its obvious that the new regime is looking to rebuild.

Awaiting the Brett Favre press release saying he thinks it's wrong for a player to hold the franchise hostage in this way.

:thumbup: Wasn't questioning you, just what you had heard.

This is agent posturing. Driver will play for the Pack this year.

This is what happens when you sign an iffy free agent to a big contract though. The veterans who have produced recently go..."Wait a minute...they just gave Charles f'n Woodson $10 mil to play this year? Uhhh, Mr. Agent, get me some of that money."

Is this surprising to anyone? The Packers haven't handled players well for years and it's now coming to a head as Favre approachs retirement.

This is what happens when you sign an iffy free agent to a big contract though. The veterans who have produced recently go..."Wait a minute...they just gave Charles f'n Woodson $10 mil to play this year? Uhhh, Mr. Agent, get me some of that money."
That has to burn Driver up, especially if he actually was promised a new contract.

Driver's not going anywhere ... he is just picking an opportune time to extort a little cash ...

He will never have more leveredge, and he aint getting any younger ...
exactomundoHe may not get any money though

That has to burn Driver up, especially if he actually was promised a new contract.
I'm sure it does burn him up. But what can he do about it? Not much. Holding out won't do him any good. He and his agent are just planting the seeds for the next big contract.

I'm sure it does burn him up. But what can he do about it? Not much. Holding out won't do him any good. He and his agent are just planting the seeds for the next big contract.
Next big contract? He is 31 years old and has a few years left on his deal ...He is striking while the iron is hot (and the Pack is subject to pressure) ...

Next big contract? He is 31 years old and has a few years left on his deal ...He is striking while the iron is hot (and the Pack is subject to pressure) ...
Right. He's got one big contract left in him. That's it and he knows it. He and his agent are angling for it now while he has a little leverage. I just don't think he's going to get anywhere with these tactics.

Of course what ESPN is reporting could be true.

The Pack previously promised they would renegotiate Driver's contract, now they aren't honoring that promise (for whatever reason) and he's calling them on it.

Also from the numbers, it looks like Driver's existing contract was re-done in 2002

Code:
Driver, Donald  Year Team     Base Salary   Sign Bonus    Other Bonus   Total Salary2004 Packers  $ 570,000     $ 0           $ 1,100       $ 571,100   2003 Packers  $ 530,000     $ 1,000,000   $ 1,900       $ 1,531,900   2002 Packers  $ 513,000     $ 4,000,000   $ 2,160       $ 4,515,160   2001 Packers  $ 389,000     $ 0           $ 4,400       $ 404,066

Right. He's got one big contract left in him. That's it and he knows it. He and his agent are angling for it now while he has a little leverage. I just don't think he's going to get anywhere with these tactics.
Kinda like how Walker isn't getting anywhere with his tactics?

He probably also know that his chances of putting up numbers like last year are diminishing - particularly when (if?) Favre retires next year. NFLPA has him under contract until 2007 - base salary this year 1.36M, next year 1.84M

Kind of like how Walker didn't get anywhere LAST year.

:thumbup: Wasn't questioning you, just what you had heard.
:thumbup:

Kind of like how Walker didn't get anywhere LAST year.
That was then, this is now.

I mean, what the HECK is going on in Green Bay?! Are they asleep this offseason?!

Maybe they were spending TOO much time fawning over Favre and praying he came back to take care of their other players....??

Either way, as a Lions fan, it puzzles me and makes me a happy man at the same time! :D

Is this surprising to anyone? The Packers haven't handled players well for years and it's now coming to a head as Favre approachs retirement.
They have handled players quite well actually. Driver was rewarded for his play...now is whining. Walker would have been. Bubba was, KGB was, Fergie was, Green was.....Those who wish to redo contracts 2 and 3 years early have not been rewarded for creating a disruption.

Im waiting to see a full official story on it...looks like posturing given Driver's words in the past.

Of course what ESPN is reporting could be true.

The Pack previously promised they would renegotiate Driver's contract, now they aren't honoring that promise (for whatever reason) and he's calling them on it.

Also from the numbers, it looks like Driver's existing contract was re-done in 2002

Code:
Driver, Donald  Year Team     Base Salary   Sign Bonus    Other Bonus   Total Salary2004 Packers  $ 570,000     $ 0           $ 1,100       $ 571,100   2003 Packers  $ 530,000     $ 1,000,000   $ 1,900       $ 1,531,900   2002 Packers  $ 513,000     $ 4,000,000   $ 2,160       $ 4,515,160   2001 Packers  $ 389,000     $ 0           $ 4,400       $ 404,066  
Not honoring...or have yet to get to it because they have been busy...I dont know preparing for a draft....signing woodson....getting Favre back...

I mean, what the HECK is going on in Green Bay?! Are they asleep this offseason?!

Maybe they were spending TOO much time fawning over Favre and praying he came back to take care of their other players....??

Either way, as a Lions fan, it puzzles me and makes me a happy man at the same time! :D
The Lions have averaged what, 4 wins a year over the past 5 years. I mean, what the HECK is going on in Detroit?! ;) The bottom line is, there is obviously some waves being made with Javon Walker and Driver is seeing if he can parlay that into some more money. Nothing more, nothing less.

A guy like Driver (and other Green Bay players) who have been stand up guys and play hard every week, probably question how the organization (& media) can cater to “Lord” Favre’s every need and want on one hand and ignore their needs and wants on the other.
:goodposting: You gotta take care of guys like Driver who come through for you when no one else will; simply coddling the golden boy (Favre) makes the organization look foolish. Time for the Packers to put their nizutts on the table and pay for Driver's production.

:goodposting: You gotta take care of guys like Driver who come through for you when no one else will; simply coddling the golden boy (Favre) makes the organization look foolish. Time for the Packers to put their nizutts on the table and pay for Driver's production.
Uh oh. In before the Flawed 'clueless' 'hater' 'roll eyes' schtick.

What a great strategy: tiptoe around a QB who finally is "gracious" enough to come back, and piss off all your WR's.

Can they run the Flying Wedge? Ahman, Najeh, Samkon, Brett, and 7 offensive linemen?

Users who are viewing this thread