What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dumb football sayings by coaches & announcers (1 Viewer)

High motor=White, not as talented, but gosh darnit he tries hard.

Akin to "bless your heart" in the South

You could write an entire book full of idiotic quotes from Madden. Guy might have had a brilliant mind for football, but the rest of his mind was sub-par to say the least.

Listened to him ramble on for 4 or 5 minutes during a national broadcast about a tag on an oxygen bottle. Gas bottle tags have rip-away pieces, the first says "FULL", the second "IN USE" and then the main tag says "EMPTY". Madden could not figure it out, and displayed this ignorance pondering the problem out loud for several minutes on national TV.

You do realize Madden did that #### on purpose? It was schtick. He wasn't in the booth for guys like you.

“The Dallas Cowboys have 2 types of plays in their playbook. Passing plays, and running plays.” - John Madden

“If this team doesn’t put points on the board I don’t see how they can win.” - John Madden

The only person that counts in dumb football sayings is John Madden sorry everyone else is a pretender.

“You can only make one play at a time.” - John Madden

When referring to Troy Aikmen losing his contact lens in a game: “Here’s a guy, that when he wears his contacts, he see’s better.” - John Madden
"Ninety percent of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Sounds like something Yogi Berra would say.
In fact, it sounds identical to something Yogi Berra did say.

Huh? I've never even heard that last one.
Past year or so. "Take the top off the defense" means that if the offense has a receiver who makes sure that corners and safeties respect said receiver's speed, others are allowed to operate underneath. Or taking the top off means he just flat beats them.

You do realize Madden did that #### on purpose? It was schtick.
I do not get the Madden hate here. That was totally his schtick. It was great.

"He really fills out those pants."

"The way he grips that ball, mmm..."

"He's gonna need a nice long, slow massage after this game."

rockaction said:
Agreed. Madden was awesome. MNF (now SNF I guess) has not been the same since.

Everything that ever came out of Tony Kornheiser's mouth, I hated. At least, when he was on MNF. I actually liked him on PTI before I realized what a ##### he was on MNF.

rockaction said:
Past year or so. "Take the top off the defense" means that if the offense has a receiver who makes sure that corners and safeties respect said receiver's speed, others are allowed to operate underneath. Or taking the top off means he just flat beats them.

schtick or not, Madden always came across as an idiot to me. The rant about the O2 tank was not remotely funny.

"You can't teach speed." No ####.

"He has a real nose for the football."

I also hate when they bring up a guy that most of us fantasy football players have known about for a long time, and say something like, "I really like this kid, kind of an unknown but I think he might be in for a big night" or whatever. I just find it annoying that they think they're onto something that any knowledgeable fan has been aware of for some time. Along those lines....

"Darkhorse."

"X-factor."

"You could drive a truck through that hole."

"Running to daylight."

"He's just a natural athlete." Duh. Every player on the field is a natural athlete.

"Blue collar football."

The list goes on...

But, Madden... Madden was the man. That Troy Aikman contacts quote from earlier is one of my favorites.

rockaction said:

schtick or not, Madden always came across as an idiot to me. The rant about the O2 tank was not remotely funny.
He came across as an idiot because that's what his job called for. Not because he was one. You don't realize that?

I hate all the "reminders", the worst of which is

Now REMEMBER! There must be indisputable evidence!

Jesus H....how long have we had instant replay now? 15 years? Yet we still need the expert analyst to remind us every freakin' time that there must be indisputable evidence. I swear I think I hear this on nearly every review.

rockaction said:

He came across as an idiot because that's what his job called for. Not because he was one. You don't realize that?
Exactly. Madden was a comic genuis. Think Zack Galifianakis.

Not a fan of looking stupid on purpose, but at least it makes sense for a comic. For an announcer who is supposed to be one of the greater football minds? Doing so on purpose is even dumber than being dumb to begin with.

Not a fan of looking stupid on purpose, but at least it makes sense for a comic. For an announcer who is supposed to be one of the greater football minds? Doing so on purpose is even dumber than being dumb to begin with.
I don't think Madden did it totally on purpose, for what it's worth. I think he took his own quirks and eccentricities and ran with them because everybody found them so funny. I think they were funny, but it's a personal thing, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
"You can't teach speed." No ####.

"He has a real nose for the football."

I also hate when they bring up a guy that most of us fantasy football players have known about for a long time, and say something like, "I really like this kid, kind of an unknown but I think he might be in for a big night" or whatever. I just find it annoying that they think they're onto something that any knowledgeable fan has been aware of for some time. Along those lines....

"Darkhorse."

"X-factor."

"You could drive a truck through that hole."

"Running to daylight."

"He's just a natural athlete." Duh. Every player on the field is a natural athlete.

"Blue collar football."

The list goes on...

But, Madden... Madden was the man. That Troy Aikman contacts quote from earlier is one of my favorites.
Smashmouth football

Keys to the game: score points on offense
When announcers comment on a tight ends basketball background.
All very good ones.

calf

ice

ice bowl II

just about anything joe and troy said today

just about anything phil simms has said today

Last edited by a moderator:
Smashmouth football

Keys to the game: score points on offense
Every year there is a new term everybody uses.

overused in previous years:

"smashmouth football"

"they hit people in the mouth"

"they need to be all-in"

"concussed"

This year: "pitch count"

My biggest pet peeve...

"They don't have anything in the playbook for 3rd and ______"

Yes they do. They are professional NFL teams...are you telling me that the coaching staff didn't bother to work out a few plays for third/fourth and really long situations?

My biggest pet peeve...

"They don't have anything in the playbook for 3rd and ______"

Yes they do. They are professional NFL teams...are you telling me that the coaching staff didn't bother to work out a few plays for third/fourth and really long situations?
Lol I always thought that was funny too.

I can just see a coach calling in the play, "Well I looked in the playbook and we don't have anything for this situation, so uh just call something"

Listening to a game on the radio and the announcer says "the (insert team here) are moving left to right on your radio dial.

Merrill Hoge "factor back"

Last weekend I heard a color commentator use the phrases "bring the house" and "takes it to the house" ... in the course of a single play.

"Excuse me, Mr. Linebackers? So, ummm, thanks and all, but we didn't want this house. The house we were interested in is down thataway ... in the far end zone where that skinny gentleman is busy celebrating."

I hate how overused the word "physical". Isn't everyone physical? Can't they think of any other adjective to describe a player?
You can count on Gruden to say "physicality" 1-2 times a night. "The physicality ( insert random guy here) brings to this team cannot be overlooked". :wall:

Watching any primetime broadcast game with commercials just makes me appreciate RedZone even more.

The fact that announcers are terrible just makes it even worse.

TZM

Can't stand when Scott Hanson or any ESPN goon asks, "who else?" in reference to who made the big play. Well, 'who else' has meant AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, and Jeremy Hill in the past, so you got me.

I don't hate it, but the one I've started hearing is: "It's nut cuttin' time." I work on a farm. I've cut nuts. I'm surprised they let them say that one.

I love it when announcers have to explain to audiences that the black QB is a pocket passer or the opposite when they act like its crazy that a white QB has some wheels. Purely innocent I believe, but hilarious to me.

Calling an end-around a reverse . . . and calling a reverse a double-reverse.
This has actually gotten quite a bit better over the past few years. I think the jet/fly sweep becoming mainstream has helped with recognizing the difference.

I think my two most hated:

"It's gonna come down to the spot." Doesn't it always?

On like a 40 yard bomb - "That's just a long hand off"

Users who are viewing this thread