What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Refs - How SHOULD they be punished? (1 Viewer)

Punished? They're just following orders, right?

I used to laugh off this "NFL is scripted" conspiracy theory... then I watched the NJY vs KCC game...

1) Whether you agree/disagree with the holding call on the NYJ DB, CLEARLY the flag was not thrown until the ball was intercepted. And it isn't like the ref was fumbling around for his flag, or dropped it... he did not reach for the flag until a clean pick by the defense.

2) Mahomes' 22-yd scramble play... the NJY end rusher was being held so badly that he was jumping up and down, tapping the top of the helmet on the O-lineman with his free hand to draw attention to it... egregious and directly affecting the play... easy call... we all saw it.

More important that the game worked out for the Swifties and State Farm though I guess.

FWIW - Not a fan of either team... no skin in the game for me... just saw what I saw.

NFL Week 7 - TO ME - just confirmed what I wrote previously (reply #52)... what we are seeing is way beyond "bad calls"... I am convinced that 25 years from now they will write a book about NFL Week 7, 2023 - The Long Con Pays Off

At this stage, my only question is... Are we looking at refs that have been "gotten to" by organized gambling... or are we seeing the shift from NFL to WWE where the storyline outweighs fair play?

I don't want to hear anything about bad calls... these are not that.

it was bad.

if i were the coach, i would've been tossed from the game.

worst call i've ever seen.

Worst call you've ever seen? Did you just start watching football this week, or did you forget calls like the Saints non-interference call or the Redskins recovering the "fumble" when Duke Johnson was standing right there with the football?
What was the final outcome of the Duke Johnson fumble here? That was funny
I mean, it's rather unclear what the correct call should be. You can recover a fumble, be down by contact, and have someone wrest it out of your hands ... You still get the recovery and possession.

Easy answer to this thread’s OP. Like any job, you are allowed to make mistakes, but if you prove unable to do the job effectively, then you lose the job in most cases.

I don’t believe the NFL is rigged or scripted. However, I do believe it sees bad officiating as a feature, not a bug. All PR is good PR and bad calls generate lots of it, including through threads like this one. So the league has no incentive to fix it in any meaningful way.

I don’t believe the NFL is rigged or scripted. However, I do believe it sees bad officiating as a feature, not a bug. All PR is good PR and bad calls generate lots of it, including through threads like this one. So the league has no incentive to fix it in any meaningful way.
I don’t believe that cliche applies to the NFL. Maybe the Kardashians, but not the NFL.

The quality of officiating is creeping into the conversations of casual fans now. Even the non weekly watchers of the NFL can see it. The PI calls are so inconsistent.

Even the first play of SNF game last night was just bad on multiple levels. It was a contested catch and the play wasn't blown dead, so Mooney gets up and runs another 20 yards down field before they blow the whistle. Then after the replay we see the play shouldn't have been stopped. Its like they got the same call wrong twice in one play. No matter how you slice this, its just plain bad officiating.

MLB has only 2 of it top 50% ranked umpires scheduled to be behind the plate in the world series. The other 5 are ranked in the bottom 50% of correct balls/strike calls. I'm not much of a baseball fan so not sure how they analyze this stuff. But that is staggering.

Game 1: D.J. Reyburn (ranked 75th of 92)
Game 2: Quinn Wolcott (1st) . who only got 91% of calls correct in this game, his 3rd worst called game of the season. He missed 12 calls.
Game 3: Alfonso Márquez (77th)
Game 4: David Rackley (68th)
Game 5: Brian Knight (33rd)
Game 6: Vic Carapazza (60th)
Game 7: Crew chief, Bill Miller (53rd)

AI robots will be calling the games within 15 years. They don't require pay or benefits or flights to the next city

Last edited:
The officiating has had me question if the NFL is rigged. I feel like the Chiefs get away with murder, offensive holding on every play (how can you not hold when your QB is darting back and forth and the d-linemen are changing directions). It lead me to believe during Taylor-mania that the NFL is absolutely cashing in on viewership and casual fans rooting for the Chiefs.

I think the NFL has their darlings and I'm not going full-rigged conspiracy theory yet but I no longer bet on games.

How about how should the league be punished for altering the way rules or entering new rules every single year for like 30 years. Imagine your job doing this on a weekly basis. They are human and they try to do their best. Mistakes will be made. Now that we are trying to legislate injuries by various new entries like "going low on a QB, using 'full weight' on a tackle" and to be introduced soon: "banning 'hip drop' tackles" in an inherently violent game, there really isn't much that can be done.

Even the first play of SNF game last night was just bad on multiple levels. It was a contested catch and the play wasn't blown dead, so Mooney gets up and runs another 20 yards down field before they blow the whistle. Then after the replay we see the play shouldn't have been stopped. Its like they got the same call wrong twice in one play. No matter how you slice this, its just plain bad officiating.
The worst part of that play is that you could see he wasn't touched watching it live. You didn't even need a replay. Unreal.

The roughing penalty on Pittsburg against Lawrence was a total joke. It was a hard hit, but with the shoulder to the midsection. A penalty for hard tackling I guess.

"Rigged" is a strong word but officiating is definitely skewed in favor of teams that have "face of the league" type QBs. Certain teams don't seem to get penalties called against them at crucial parts of games.

Also, Chris Boswell posted a screen shot of the FG attempt he made from 55 yards when the official flagged Pittsburg for lining up offside. Not only weren't the Steelers lined up offsides, but one of the Jacksonville players was actually lined up offsides.

How can you call a penalty like this when it's obviously not a penally because it didn't happen? It's not like there is anything even up for debate.

Jesus

The worst part of that play is that you could see he wasn't touched watching it live. You didn't even need a replay. Unreal.
Agreed. I was yelling at Mooney to start running after the catch. It really wasn't that close.

Diontae Johnson: "I didn't like the refs today. They must've got paid good today or something, but they blew -- that field goal, that hurt us coming into the half. We needed that."

The officiating has had me question if the NFL is rigged. I feel like the Chiefs get away with murder, offensive holding on every play (how can you not hold when your QB is darting back and forth and the d-linemen are changing directions). It lead me to believe during Taylor-mania that the NFL is absolutely cashing in on viewership and casual fans rooting for the Chiefs.

I think the NFL has their darlings and I'm not going full-rigged conspiracy theory yet but I no longer bet on games.
I guess you could argue that if this is truly how you feel.....you should bet....especially on the Chiefs....or whoever the other darlings are....

Fully with you. There's TV money to be made on Sundays... but there is a LOT more TV money to be made the rest of the week and game action only supports so much of that. The storylines are taking over (ala WWE).

I guess you could argue that if this is truly how you feel.....you should bet....especially on the Chiefs....or whoever the other darlings are....
The ending of that Chiefs vs Vikings game was truly brutal. A waived off PI for a non catchable ball when it was right there for WR in the field of play. The DB stopped the WR from being able to catch it. Then he takes off his helmet and we watch the ref tell him to put it back on.

Not to mention that RT was false starting all game and not being called for it.

Also, Chris Boswell posted a screen shot of the FG attempt he made from 55 yards when the official flagged Pittsburg for lining up offside. Not only weren't the Steelers lined up offsides, but one of the Jacksonville players was actually lined up offsides.

How can you call a penalty like this when it's obviously not a penally because it didn't happen? It's not like there is anything even up for debate.

Jesus
The Steelers player tackles a QB yesterday and got a roughing the passer penalty. It wasn’t high, it wasn’t low, it wasn’t late. It was basically a perfect hit. I don’t even know what the ref was possibly looking at to call that a penalty.

Jesus
The Steelers player tackles a QB yesterday and got a roughing the passer penalty. It wasn’t high, it wasn’t low, it wasn’t late. It was basically a perfect hit. I don’t even know what the ref was possibly looking at to call that a penalty.
Yeah. Addressed that in an earlier post. Penalty for a hard, legal hit :bored:

Jesus
His wallet?

The ending of that Chiefs vs Vikings game was truly brutal. A waived off PI for a non catchable ball when it was right there for WR in the field of play. The DB stopped the WR from being able to catch it. Then he takes off his helmet and we watch the ref tell him to put it back on.

Not to mention that RT was false starting all game and not being called for it.
right....that's what I mean....they get all the calls....all the time...and we all know that....so we should bet on them every time....

bad calls have ALWAYS been there. always. no one will argue that.

but is it merely coincidence that with the rise of gambling in football, the amount of blatently horrific calls has also increased? it could be... but i somehow doubt it.

Jesus
@Stinkin Ref , what is your thought on this one?

Or is sarcasm all you have regarding this topic now?

Jesus
@Stinkin Ref , what is your thought on this one?

Or is sarcasm all you have regarding this topic now?
I guess I'd have to see the screenshot....but would really need to see a complete video of the whole play down the line.....as players often have an opportunity to reset/reestablish their position prior to the snap and a screenshot is just capturing one tiny moment...

eta: did a quick search and think I saw the screenshot mentioned....there does appear to be a PIT helmet in the neutral zone (area above the ball) right next to the snapper....as well as a JAG player helmet.....

I guess I'd have to see the screenshot....but would really need to see a complete video of the whole play down the line.....as players often have an opportunity to reset/reestablish their position prior to the snap and a screenshot is just capturing one tiny moment...

eta: did a quick search and think I saw the screenshot mentioned....there does appear to be a PIT helmet in the neutral zone (area above the ball) right next to the snapper....as well as a JAG player helmet.....

At best it was a ticky-tacky call on a penalty that is rarely called against an offensive lineman. It really hurt but again there are going be bad calls from time to time. Good teams overcome them and well, the Steelers aren't a very good team right now.

At best it was a ticky-tacky call on a penalty that is rarely called against an offensive lineman. It really hurt but again there are going be bad calls from time to time. Good teams overcome them and well, the Steelers aren't a very good team right now.
Definitely looks like both PIT and JAX lined up in neutral zone

Sports entertainment.

Do you guys still believe in Santa? The games aren’t flat out fixed but they’re massaged.

If you haven’t figured this out in watching 40 years of sports I don’t know what to tell you.

the yellow line in the picture on the left means very little....in the one on the right it represents the nose of the football.....the neutral zone is more than just the nose of the football....it is the entire length of the football...and in some shots you can clearly see a PIT helmet in the neutral zone as well as a JAG....adding the yellow line here in these pictures is deceiving and done with an agenda....

the yellow line in the picture on the left means very little....in the one on the right it represents the nose of the football.....the neutral zone is more than just the nose of the football....it is the entire length of the football...and in some shots you can clearly see a PIT helmet in the neutral zone as well as a JAG....adding the yellow line here in these pictures is deceiving and done with an agenda....
So should have been offsetting, but wasn't. The odd thing is the ref missed the more obvious of the two.

I woke up still fuming mad today.

My Browns won. Watson looked good. The defense looked great. The victory was sound.... But alas, my brain is still stewing about one of the worst reffing calls I have seen in some time. No, it was ticky-tacky stuff... It wasn't a simple hold that was missed, or a PI that wasn't... No, this was grievous.

You may (or may not) have seen the 1st of 2 Watson to Cooper TDs yester.... Oh, wait... No. you didn't. Why? Because a linesman decided that Cooper went out of bounds on a gorgeous pitch down the sideline and blew the play dead. A 40-50+yd TD (I'm going off memory) blown dead after about 20yds.

Ok, so?

So Cooper was not only IN bounds, he was in bounds by... And I wish I was exaggerating, but the announcers, dumbfounded themselves, also said it... "by at least a foot". No, not the width of a foot. TWELVE INCHES PLUS.

In your opinion, how should an error like this be punished in the NFL?

ETA: HERE'S THE PLAY - The whistle was blown about 1 sec after he made the catch. In-effing-credible.
Upside down Crucifixions on Monday Night Football during halftime would be a ratings bonanza

Notice the referee at the top of the screen leaning to her left to see beyond the Jag lined up in the neutral zone. She wasn't looking down the neutral zone line which made her view appear more like the RG helmet was offsides.

As for the guard helmet being in the neutral zone, that's common and not called when the helmet is behind the center. The crack down on that infraction is for the tush push play, not kicking extra points or FG.

The Cleveland game, I thought was worse officiating. 2nd half, the refs tried real heard to get the Browns a win. Team just kept finding a way to lose despite the help.

Notice the referee at the top of the screen leaning to her left to see beyond the Jag lined up in the neutral zone. She wasn't looking down the neutral zone line which made her view appear more like the RG helmet was offsides.

As for the guard helmet being in the neutral zone, that's common and not called when the helmet is behind the center. The crack down on that infraction is for the tush push play, not kicking extra points or FG.

The Cleveland game, I thought was worse officiating. 2nd half, the refs tried real heard to get the Browns a win. Team just kept finding a way to lose despite the help.
doesn't really matter if a ref was leaning or anything (agreed its not a good look and not great mechanics)....the fact is the shot down the line shows that both teams had someone in the neutral zone and technically it should have been a penalty on both teams and offset, meaning the play should be done again...unfortunately they missed this one and only got it half right...and that put one team at a disadvantage....not good...

and I'm sorry but you are also perpetuating a popular misconception....I'm not sure if you have stats somewhere to back up the "its common for the guard helmet to be in the neutral zone and it to not be called" or if you just read that somewhere and believe it to be true.....I've never heard or seen this talked about before by the league....I didn't even know it was a crackdown and I'm pretty sure the NFL isn't telling officials to call it an infraction on one play but not others.....not sure you are going to be able to find that language confirmed anywhere....I have never heard of something being "a penalty on this particular play, but not on this one"....they are not telling officials to call it on the tush push but not on extra points....if you can find this somewhere to confirm I would love to take a look....

Last edited:
Sports entertainment.

Do you guys still believe in Santa? The games aren’t flat out fixed but they’re massaged.

If you haven’t figured this out in watching 40 years of sports I don’t know what to tell you.
Considering the number of people who would have to be "in on it" with zero leaks, week after week after week, I'd say Santa's existence is more likely than the NFL being fixed, massaged, or otherwise compromised. I understand we live in an era where anything we don't like gets labeled "rigged," but that doesn't make it true.

The refs are doing the exact same job they've always done. The difference is the public's interest in gambling, the ease of gambling opportunities via technology, and the rise of fantasy sports.

The refs haven't changed. We have. Your eyes aren't biased. They're attached to a biased brain. Plenty of bad calls in the 1970s. We just didn't care as much, nor did we watch it 500 times on Youtube.

I called this the worst call in NFL history and stand by it.
Guess you're not old enough to remember the "tuck rule" in a New England blizzard. 😆
I'm old enough to remember the Jets over the Colt's in SB3.

At least, in the tuck rule, there are technicalities of the rule that can be debated. This is a player under a pile of bodies whose forward progress had been stopped the day before.

Patriots quarterback Mac Jones took the snap and dropped back to pass. Before he could get the ball out in time, Commanders defensive end K.J. Henry came around the edge and got Jones for what he thought was the first sack of his career.

"I don’t see the call," FOX commentator Jonathan Vilma said as the broadcast showed the replay of the controversial play. "Mac Jones has the ball in his hands, and he takes him down for a sack."

The NFL world kept an eye on the games on Sunday and it was shocked by the call.

"KJ Henry of Washington just got a personal foul for just playing football. Unbelievable. He tackles Mac Jones - while Mac has the ball - and causes the fumble. Normal tackle. I’m watching this game with former Patriot @devinmccourty & he agrees this is a terrible call. Unreal," NBC Sports’ Matthew Berry

Patriots quarterback Mac Jones took the snap and dropped back to pass. Before he could get the ball out in time, Commanders defensive end K.J. Henry came around the edge and got Jones for what he thought was the first sack of his career.

"I don’t see the call," FOX commentator Jonathan Vilma said as the broadcast showed the replay of the controversial play. "Mac Jones has the ball in his hands, and he takes him down for a sack."

The NFL world kept an eye on the games on Sunday and it was shocked by the call.

"KJ Henry of Washington just got a personal foul for just playing football. Unbelievable. He tackles Mac Jones - while Mac has the ball - and causes the fumble. Normal tackle. I’m watching this game with former Patriot @devinmccourty & he agrees this is a terrible call. Unreal," NBC Sports’ Matthew Berry
I just am getting around to seeing some of the afternoon highlights, this referee shouldn't be able to take an NFL field as referee for the rest of the season at least.
Worst call I have ever seen, EVER!

"I don't see the call"
No truer words have been spoken in the booth this year

Sooooooo sick and tired of b.s. roughing the passer calls each and every week, each and every game.

Unwatchable.
I was going to create a thread. Totally agree. The main one is the nonsense body weight rule. The whole spirit of that rule was to stop defenders from lifting the QB and then basically "body slamming" and purposely landing in them, we all know what it looks like. Half of these are just tackles where the defender has no choice. Now that all QBs are 6'3 arm tackling doesn't work....so annoying

Sooooooo sick and tired of b.s. roughing the passer calls each and every week, each and every game.

Unwatchable.
I was going to create a thread. Totally agree. The main one is the nonsense body weight rule. The whole spirit of that rule was to stop defenders from lifting the QB and then basically "body slamming" and purposely landing in them, we all know what it looks like. Half of these are just tackles where the defender has no choice. Now that all QBs are 6'3 arm tackling doesn't work....so annoying

Jack Campbell was (inadvertently) tripped by an OL and fell into Garaoppolo a week ago on MNF

not only RTP, but $14.7K fine as well

bc he got tripped while running full gas and fell forward

Jack Campbell from Cedar Falls Iowa is a complete menace to society, need to send a message to these thugs eh

Users who are viewing this thread