What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Refs - How SHOULD they be punished? (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
I woke up still fuming mad today.

My Browns won. Watson looked good. The defense looked great. The victory was sound.... But alas, my brain is still stewing about one of the worst reffing calls I have seen in some time. No, it was ticky-tacky stuff... It wasn't a simple hold that was missed, or a PI that wasn't... No, this was grievous.

You may (or may not) have seen the 1st of 2 Watson to Cooper TDs yester.... Oh, wait... No. you didn't. Why? Because a linesman decided that Cooper went out of bounds on a gorgeous pitch down the sideline and blew the play dead. A 40-50+yd TD (I'm going off memory) blown dead after about 20yds.

Ok, so?

So Cooper was not only IN bounds, he was in bounds by... And I wish I was exaggerating, but the announcers, dumbfounded themselves, also said it... "by at least a foot". No, not the width of a foot. TWELVE INCHES PLUS.

In your opinion, how should an error like this be punished in the NFL?

ETA: HERE'S THE PLAY - The whistle was blown about 1 sec after he made the catch. In-effing-credible.

Last edited:
I am not sure how bad the particular call in question was, I didnt see it.

Is it possible that Cooper stepped out of bounds earlier in the play? As that would make him ineligable receiver I believe?

Anyhow I do agree the refs should be held more accountable than they are, and there are many calls that could be made impartial though technology.

It is also known that refs have taken bribes in the past and made erronious calls because of such influence which is something that may still be happening.

All officials get graded and ranked after every game. If something was egregious enough, they can get a suspension or, rarely, get fired.

All officials get graded and ranked after every game. If something was egregious enough, they can get a suspension or, rarely, get fired.

This was legit fireable... You CANNOT be THIS bad at the simplest thing. It doesn't get easier.

Is it possible that Cooper stepped out of bounds earlier in the play? As that would make him ineligable receiver I believe?

I wish that was the case... No.

HERE'S THE PLAY
This clip doesnt show anything earlier in the play to fully answer my question.

From what I can see here no he was not out of bounds. I notice Cooper is being mindful of that based on his footwork.

I wish that was the case... No.

HERE'S THE PLAY
This clip doesnt show anything earlier in the play to fully answer my question.

From what I can see here no he was not out of bounds. I notice Cooper is being mindful of that based on his footwork.

They whistled him dead at the spot of the "OOB".... The play did not get called back...

hence, it was impossible for him to be OOB earlier in the play, or it wouldn't have stood.

They can't be punished. This is one of the things the NFL was holding out for with the ref strike. But ya'll agreed to this when you overdramatized and freaked out about every mistake by the replacement refs while forgetting that the regular refs were just as bad, and pressured the NFL into giving in to them.

They can't be punished. This is one of the things the NFL was holding out for with the ref strike. But ya'll agreed to this when you overdramatized and freaked out about every mistake by the replacement refs while forgetting that the regular refs were just as bad, and pressured the NFL into giving in to them.

I know you're not referring to me, but pls don't lump me in with these morons of life who aided in the ruin of this league. :ROFLMAO:

The weirdest part about that play is the official was staring directly at his feet, perfect view maybe two feet away from the WR, nothing in the way. Cooper’s feet weren’t even close to the sideline. The NFL guidelines instruct to let these close scoring plays go, because they are automatically reviewed. I’m not sure how this particular official can have any kind of argument to justify the whistle there.

And to answer the question, more NFL officials need to be fired. If you can’t do your job with accuracy and integrity, someone else will.

I mean... at least they aren't as bad as MLB umps? I guess that's a modicum of consolation. But yes, as a Steelers fan, I too am not happy with the refs this week.

I woke up still fuming mad today.

My Browns won. Watson looked good. The defense looked great. The victory was sound.... But alas, my brain is still stewing about one of the worst reffing calls I have seen in some time. No, it was ticky-tacky stuff... It wasn't a simple hold that was missed, or a PI that wasn't... No, this was grievous.

You may (or may not) have seen the 1st of 2 Watson to Cooper TDs yester.... Oh, wait... No. you didn't. Why? Because a linesman decided that Cooper went out of bounds on a gorgeous pitch down the sideline and blew the play dead. A 40-50+yd TD (I'm going off memory) blown dead after about 20yds.

Ok, so?

So Cooper was not only IN bounds, he was in bounds by... And I wish I was exaggerating, but the announcers, dumbfounded themselves, also said it... "by at least a foot". No, not the width of a foot. TWELVE INCHES PLUS.

In your opinion, how should an error like this be punished in the NFL?

ETA: HERE'S THE PLAY - The whistle was blown about 1 sec after he made the catch. In-effing-credible.

Cost me one of my games. What the hell

It looks like he blew the whistle when the defender went down. I'm guessing his brain was overloaded with several possibilities at the time. Seriously.

A 40-50+yd TD (I'm going off memory) blown dead after about 20yds.

Ok, so?

As a Cooper shareholder in a NFFC league I really would love to have those extra points.
:wall:

Until the league employs full-time refs who face some actual accountability, you'll never see the quality of officiating improve. Replay helps, but you still see examples of clear-cut incompetence literally every week if you're looking for it.

Until the league employs full-time refs who face some actual accountability, you'll never see the quality of officiating improve. Replay helps, but you still see examples of clear-cut incompetence literally every week if you're looking for it.
In fairness we see that with coaches too, and it takes a long time (multiple seasons) for most of them to be held accountable for their incompetence.

I'm not sure this would make a difference. MLB umps are full time and there are some terrible umps that still have a job. It's a ridiculously difficult job and until we embrace more technology blown calls are going to continue to happen. This game is just too fast for these guys though not sure what that call was yesterday, anyone could've seen that he wasn't out of bounds.

How is it that hard for refs, if a call is marginal, to just not blow a play dead, let the play come to its conclusion, THEN indicate that the play should (in their opinion) be stopped, and leave it as a reviewable play? Same with runners being called down by contact before a fumble

As with any other job. Be made aware of your mistake. Be kept aware of where you stand with your job security. If your boss decides it's time to go, there's your punishment.

it was bad.

if i were the coach, i would've been tossed from the game.

worst call i've ever seen.

Worst call you've ever seen? Did you just start watching football this week, or did you forget calls like the Saints non-interference call or the Redskins recovering the "fumble" when Duke Johnson was standing right there with the football?
or the Fail Mary?

Or screwing Jerome Bettis on the coin toss.

it was bad.

if i were the coach, i would've been tossed from the game.

worst call i've ever seen.

Worst call you've ever seen? Did you just start watching football this week, or did you forget calls like the Saints non-interference call or the Redskins recovering the "fumble" when Duke Johnson was standing right there with the football?
when the ref is staring at his foot nowhere near the sideline and calls him out of bounds?

there’s no judgement call there. just his foot nowhere near the sideline.

yeah, worst call I’ve ever seen.

Woke up for a second morning now, fuming still. Probably because the thread reappeared.

It mihgt be top 3 worst calls I've ever seen... And arguably #1 just for the reasons above. There is no judgement here... There's nothing to process... This is somehting the brain does completely subconsciously after like 3-4yrs old.

It's like seeing a bird flying outside your window.... You KNOW it's outside, you don't need to think about it. The brain processes that using dust as energy

to be clear, obviously it didn’t affect the game, so it’s not the worst call of all time from that perspective.

By imposing an age limit of say, 45 or so. There’s a reason air traffic controllers are forced to retire at age 56. Cognitive abilities and reflexes deteriorate as you age. Been saying for years, It’s foolish to think old guys can keep up with world class athletes and process the info to make split second decisions accurately.

Users who are viewing this thread