What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY: 2012 Top college prospects (5 Viewers)

Dyer = STEAL. He's the next Mendenhall.
Yep, I can't believe he lasted that long. In my mock about 2 weeks before this draft I put Dyer as a late first round pick, so he was definitely on radars. Guess, people were just not interested in waiting 2 years for the payoff since he's a true Soph.
I rate him above Lattimore, who went 1.02. :shock:

Agree he is a steal, although I don't see the Mendenhall comparison. He smaller, better hands and more elusive. More Ray Rice than Mendenhall, but I dont think he's is that similar to either.

He's listed at 5'9" 215. Judging by pics of him, he'll be 220+ come draft day 2013.

I've seen him listed at anywhere between 203 and 208. I know he's young and could still put on some weight, but he wil be 21 this year, the same age as Mcfadden when he was drafted.

Yep, I can't believe he lasted that long. In my mock about 2 weeks before this draft I put Dyer as a late first round pick, so he was definitely on radars. Guess, people were just not interested in waiting 2 years for the payoff since he's a true Soph.
I rate him above Lattimore, who went 1.02. :shock:
I am the one who took Lattimore but had him and Dyer closely ranked, so I was shocked that Dyer lasted until the 3rd round. But as Offdee said, it is a comfort level for waiting 2 years for the guy and it is only guys you truly think are studly ... Offdee will have had a 2 year wait on Trent Richardson, but at this point he is looking like the clear #1 next year so he is worth it.

:goodposting: Not a big fan of waiting two years for a player, double the risk I guess but if it works out it could be worth the gamble.

I'd much rather wait two years for a 1st round talent than 0-1 years for a 4th round talent. Some of the guys who passed on him for run-of-the-mill jokers will be kicking themselves in the near future.

I'd much rather wait two years for a 1st round talent than 0-1 years for a 4th round talent. Some of the guys who passed on him for run-of-the-mill jokers will be kicking themselves in the near future.
Totally different issue and I would too.

4 rookie TE's were picked ahead of Dyer. They will regret that bigtime.

I think Dyer is a better pro prospect. 5 star recruit out of high school. Rushed for 1k+ in the SEC as a true freshman at 6.0 YPC. Already has an NFL body.

I don't know if Lattimore is going to make a standout pro.

I think Dyer is a better pro prospect. 5 star recruit out of high school. Rushed for 1k+ in the SEC as a true freshman at 6.0 YPC. Already has an NFL body.

I think we should keep in mind that Dyer is old for a Freshman, He is almost a year older than Trent Richardson who will be eligible for the NFL draft next year.

I think we should keep in mind that Dyer is old for a Freshman, He is almost a year older than Trent Richardson who will be eligible for the NFL draft next year.
Not seeing the significance here

What i was trying to say was while Dyer is a true Freshman its no surprise he already has an NFL body, because he is as old as some players drafted this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

What i was trying to say was while Dyer is a true Freshman its no surprise he already has an NFL body, because he is as old as some players drafted this year.
Dyer is less than 10 months younger than Mark Ingram, who was just drafted. Dyer is going to be pretty old in comparison to most NFL rookies by the time he comes out.

Did dyer get held back in high school? If so, how does that apply to the rule of being eligible 2 years after their graduating class?

Dyer is less than 10 months younger than Mark Ingram, who was just drafted. Dyer is going to be pretty old in comparison to most NFL rookies by the time he comes out.

Wes Bunting break downs the 2012 QB propects. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Breaking-down-the-2012-QB-class.html Looks like twice as many elite prospects than this year. IMO, Arizona should think twice about giving up a first in 2012 for Kolb.
The Wes Bunting now has his article breaking down the 2012 RB class:

Breaking down the 2012 RB class

Seniors

Doug Martin: Boise State (5-9, 201)

Martin looks like a Coke machine the way he’s put together. Thick through the lower half and mid-section, and there’s really no place to wrap up on him as he runs low while keeping his pad level down. He possesses solid speed, but it’s his ability to sharply change directions, maintain balance and accelerate which is really impressive. He plays very fast/quick in tight quarters and can consistently make defenders miss. Looks poised for a monster year.

Cyrus Gray: Texas A&M (5-10 198)

A shorter, compact runner who is very comfortable running between the tackles from I-formation sets, picks his way through the line of scrimmage and is patient inside. Possesses a natural second gear to his game and accelerates quickly out of his breaks. Looks a little stiff in the hips laterally, but can catch the football out of the backfield and has the talent to be part of a solid one-two punch in the NFL.

Dan Herron: Ohio State (5-10, 205)

Herron’s quicker than he is fast in tight areas. And he does a nice job setting up blocks inside, lowering his pad level into contact and likes to finish runs. Displays good short-area quickness and footwork when asked to make a man miss and accelerate. Isn’t a dynamic athlete, but is a strong, no-nonsense type runner who will give you an honest days work inside.

Jeffery Demps: Florida (5-8, 190)

Demps is simply lightning in a bottle every time he gets his hands on the football. At only 5-8, he possesses a compact frame and the straight-line speed to consistently outrun angles and create big plays in space. He catches the football well out of the backfield as well, but even more impressive was his improved patience and feel running inside last season. Looks like a dynamic sub-package option in the NFL.

Underclassmen

Trent Richardson: Alabama (5-11, 220)

A powerful back who runs hard and possesses a rare blend of power and speed. Isn’t the same type of natural runner that former Tide standout RB Mark Ingram was. But he’ll likely get drafted higher because of his more impressive 40 time.

LaMichael James: Oregon (5-9, 185)

Say what you want about the Oregon offense, but James possesses impressive short-area quickness inside, can consistently make defenders miss and accelerates well toward daylight. He’s undersized, but the guy has some very good natural running skills.

Knile Davis: Arkansas (6-0, 220)

Davis rushed for over 130 yards per game during the final nine games of the season last year and possesses an intriguing combination of size and speed. He had a 4.37 40-time during Arkansas’ offseason testing. Looks like a potential star in the SEC come 2011.

Andre Ellington: Clemson (5-10, 190)

Another dynamic, change of pace type prospect at the next level. Ellington is shifty, can make defenders miss and can run away from the pack in space. Plus, he’s also comfortable catching the football out of the backfield.

Wes Bunting break downs the 2012 QB propects. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Breaking-down-the-2012-QB-class.html Looks like twice as many elite prospects than this year. IMO, Arizona should think twice about giving up a first in 2012 for Kolb.
The Wes Bunting now has his article breaking down the 2012 RB class:

Breaking down the 2012 RB class

Seniors

Doug Martin: Boise State (5-9, 201)

Martin looks like a Coke machine the way he’s put together. Thick through the lower half and mid-section, and there’s really no place to wrap up on him as he runs low while keeping his pad level down. He possesses solid speed, but it’s his ability to sharply change directions, maintain balance and accelerate which is really impressive. He plays very fast/quick in tight quarters and can consistently make defenders miss. Looks poised for a monster year.

Cyrus Gray: Texas A&M (5-10 198)

A shorter, compact runner who is very comfortable running between the tackles from I-formation sets, picks his way through the line of scrimmage and is patient inside. Possesses a natural second gear to his game and accelerates quickly out of his breaks. Looks a little stiff in the hips laterally, but can catch the football out of the backfield and has the talent to be part of a solid one-two punch in the NFL.

Dan Herron: Ohio State (5-10, 205)

Herron’s quicker than he is fast in tight areas. And he does a nice job setting up blocks inside, lowering his pad level into contact and likes to finish runs. Displays good short-area quickness and footwork when asked to make a man miss and accelerate. Isn’t a dynamic athlete, but is a strong, no-nonsense type runner who will give you an honest days work inside.

Jeffery Demps: Florida (5-8, 190)

Demps is simply lightning in a bottle every time he gets his hands on the football. At only 5-8, he possesses a compact frame and the straight-line speed to consistently outrun angles and create big plays in space. He catches the football well out of the backfield as well, but even more impressive was his improved patience and feel running inside last season. Looks like a dynamic sub-package option in the NFL.

Underclassmen

Trent Richardson: Alabama (5-11, 220)

A powerful back who runs hard and possesses a rare blend of power and speed. Isn’t the same type of natural runner that former Tide standout RB Mark Ingram was. But he’ll likely get drafted higher because of his more impressive 40 time.

LaMichael James: Oregon (5-9, 185)

Say what you want about the Oregon offense, but James possesses impressive short-area quickness inside, can consistently make defenders miss and accelerates well toward daylight. He’s undersized, but the guy has some very good natural running skills.

Knile Davis: Arkansas (6-0, 220)

Davis rushed for over 130 yards per game during the final nine games of the season last year and possesses an intriguing combination of size and speed. He had a 4.37 40-time during Arkansas’ offseason testing. Looks like a potential star in the SEC come 2011.

Andre Ellington: Clemson (5-10, 190)

Another dynamic, change of pace type prospect at the next level. Ellington is shifty, can make defenders miss and can run away from the pack in space. Plus, he’s also comfortable catching the football out of the backfield.
Wow that is sick for his size. Could be the next AP.

Breaking down the 2012 WR class

by Wes Bunting

Seniors

Michael Floyd: Notre Dame (6-3, 228)

Coming into 2010 I thought Floyd, based off his tape, was right on par with A.J. Green and Julio Jones as a prospect. However, he looked a bit heavier this past year and wasn’t quite as fluid/explosive when asked to separate. He got himself into some trouble this offseason as well and is currently suspended indefinitely from the football team. However, he knows how to make plays on the football and if he can put it all back together, the guy has the ability to be a very high draft pick.

Jeff Fuller: Texas A&M (6-3, 215)

Fuller is a guy who doesn’t even need to be open to still make plays on the football. He’s a strong, powerful wideout with great size and the coordination to consistently adjust to the throw. He possesses sneaky speed down the field as well and has performed extremely well vs. some of the best cornerback prospects in the nation from this past year.

Greg Childs: Arkansas (6-3, 217)

Childs is another wideout who doesn’t have great top-end speed. However, he uses his big frame well to create separation for himself and even when covered up he can still win in jump ball situations for his quarterback. He’s working his way back from a torn patella tendon he suffered last year, but if he can fully recover he should be one of the more productive receivers in the SEC again in 2011.

Jarrett Boykin: Virginia Tech (6-2, 218)

I might be more of a fan of Boykin than most, but every time I watched Virginia Tech tape last year this guy showed up in a big way. He’s a strong, well-put-together wideout with a massive set of hands and plucks everything in sight. He possesses powerful strides down the field, can track the football vertically and is really physical and tough to bring down after the catch. Is the one senior wideout who I think could be poised for a major rise up draft boards this coming season.

Juron Criner: Arizona (6-4, 210)

A tall, lean wideout who possesses good coordination in the pass game and is very effective working the three-step game. He isn’t a burner, but has deceptive strider speed down the field and knows how to make plays on the football at its highest point.

Ryan Broyles: Oklahoma (5-11, 185)

Broyles is slippery, sudden and knows how to separate out of his breaks and create after the catch. He isn’t the most physical of wideouts and struggled with some of the better press corners the Big 12 had to offer off the line this past year. However, you give this guy a two way go from the slot at the next level and he will make plays.

Underclassmen

Justin Blackmon: Oklahoma State (6-1, 208)

Watching Blackmon this past year I thought he would have been the number three receiver off the board behind only A.J. Green and Julio Jones. He plays with power and explosion in all areas of the game. Lacks great straight-line speed, but shrugs off defenders vertically, tracks the ball well and can highpoint throws. Will again be one of the most productive receivers to stop in the county and looks like a starter early in his NFL career because of his ability to create after the catch.

Alshon Jeffery: South Carolina (6-4, 232)

A massive wideout with great body control and coordination for a prospect of his dimensions. Possesses good short-area quickness out of his breaks, knows how to box out defenders and does a great job making himself big and extending for the football. A mismatch nightmare for corners down by the goal line as well.

Luck, Barkley highlight top 2012 draft-eligible players

By Gil Brandt NFL.com

Senior Analyst

Published: May 16, 2011 at 09:10 p.m. Updated: May 17, 2011 at 12:18 p.m.

Excerpts on the QB, RB, WR, and TE prospects listed in the top 50

We've got a very long way to go until the 2012 NFL Draft, but here is how I size up the top-100 draft-eligible prospects heading into the 2011 college football season. It should serve as no surprise who is my No. 1.

1. Andrew Luck, Jr., QB, Stanford

Luck, who possesses ideal size and arm strength for the quarterback position, has two years of eligibility left at Stanford. His father, Oliver Luck, was the 44th overall pick in the 1982 NFL Draft (second round by the Houston Oilers).

2. Matt Barkley, Jr., QB, USC

In 2009, Barkley became the first true freshman to ever start a season opener at USC, helping guide the Trojans to a 56-3 win over San Jose State. Barkley, who is also a team captain, has two years of eligibility left at USC. Despite playing just two seasons, Barkley already ranks ninth overall at USC in career total offense.

5. Justin Blackmon, Jr., WR, Oklahoma State

Blackmon, who has two years of eligibility left at OSU, was the 2010 Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year and Biletnikoff Award winner. He had 111 catches for 20 touchdowns, averaging 16.1 yards per reception.

6. Alshon Jeffery, Jr., WR, South Carolina

A 2010 first-team All-SEC selection, Jeffery possesses the size and speed needed at the position in the NFL. Last season, Jeffery had 88 receptions for 1,517 yards.

10. Landry Jones, Jr., QB, Oklahoma

Named after former Dallas Cowboys coach and Hall of Famer Tom Landry, Jones has the size and arm strength teams look for in quarterbacks but is not a good runner. He completed 65 percent of his passes for 38 touchdowns and only 12 interceptions in 2010. Oklahoma does a great job of coaching quarterbacks; former Sooner Sam Bradford was the No. 1 overall pick of the St. Louis Rams in 2010.

11. Trent Richardson, Jr., RB, Alabama

Richardson hails from the same high school as Emmitt Smith, the Hall of Famer and the NFL's all-time career rushing leader. The versatile Richardson averaged 5.7 yards per carry over two seasons with the Crimson Tide, and also has been a very good kick returner. Richardson ran for 144 yards and a touchdown in an early season showdown against Penn State.

17. Michael Floyd, Jr., WR, Notre Dame

A three-year starter, Floyd is the school's all-time receiving touchdowns leader (28) and second in catches (171). He's big and fast, but he's also had off-field troubles he'll have to work out.

20. Ryan Broyles, Sr., WR, Oklahoma

He has the speed and quickness to be explosive, much like the Eagles' DeSean Jackson. Broyles had 131 receptions last season for 1,622 yards and 14 touchdowns.

24. Ryan Lindley, Sr., QB, San Diego State

He's a strong-armed QB who will depart as the Aztecs' all-time leading passer. Lindley has passed for 9,537 yards and 67 touchdowns.

25. Michael Egnew, Sr., TE, Missouri

A first-team All-Big 12 selection in 2010, Egnew had 90 catches and five touchdowns. He was a better receiver than blocker last year.

34. Nick Foles, Sr., QB, Arizona

Foles was very accurate last season, completing 67.1 percent of his pass attempts for 20 touchdowns.

35. LaMichael James, Jr., RB, Oregon

Last year's Doak Walker Award winner is coming off a huge year in which he scored 24 touchdowns and averaged 5.9 yards per carry.

42. Jeff Fuller, Sr., WR, Texas A&M

Fuller, the son of former 49ers WR Jeff Sr., had 72 catches and 12 touchdowns in 2010.

46. Juron Criner, Sr., WR, Arizona

A first-team All-Pac 10 selection, Criner had 82 receptions and 11 touchdowns in 2010.

49. Ryan Tannehill, Sr., QB, Texas A&M

Tennehill played wide receiver for two years before starting at QB during the middle of 2010. He passed for 449 yards and four touchdowns in his first start.

50. Kirk Cousins, Sr., QB, Michigan State

Cousins, who will be starting for the third year, is a tough player with a good arm. He was an honorable mention All-Big Ten selection last season.
EDIT:Here are the QB, RB, WR, and TE players listed in the next 50:

52. Mohamed Sanu, Jr., WR, Rutgers

53. Greg Childs, Sr., WR, Arkansas

57. Cyrus Gray, Sr., RB, Texas A&M

60. David Paulson, Sr., TE, Oregon

67. Isaiah Pead, Sr., RB, Cincinnati

70. Terrelle Pryor, Sr., QB, Ohio State

73. George Bryan, Sr., TE, North Carolina State

75. Chris Owusu, Sr., WR, Stanford

76. Brandon Bolden, Sr., RB, Mississippi

78. Ladarius Green, Sr., TE, Louisiana-Lafeyette

82. Knile Davis, Jr., RB, Arkansas

84. Brandon Weeden, Sr., QB, Oklahoma State

85. Dan Herron, Sr., RB, Ohio State

86. Doug Martin, Sr., RB, Boise State

87. Montel Harris, Sr., RB, Boston College

91. Nick Toon, Sr., WR, Wisconsin

92. Case Keenum, Sr., QB, Houston

93. Kendall Wright, Sr., WR, Baylor

100. Jeff Demps, Sr., RB, Florida

I am a little surprised that RB Knile Davis is listed at #82, as I thought he would have been ranked higher.

:eek:

Knile has some of the same problems DMC had. Good runner, but a bit straight-linish with a slender build.

Obviously that didn't stop DMC from becoming a very high pick, but Davis isn't some kind of slam dunk first rounder at this point. 2nd-3rd round sounds about right, IMO.

Knile has some of the same problems DMC had. Good runner, but a bit straight-linish with a slender build.

Obviously that didn't stop DMC from becoming a very high pick, but Davis isn't some kind of slam dunk first rounder at this point. 2nd-3rd round sounds about right, IMO.
You and I have different definitions of "slender". McFadden is 6'2 210lbs, Kniles is 6'0 220lbs. The only similarities I see between these 2 is that they both run a little upright and they both played at Arkansas.

Lord have mercy. Davis is probably the best RB in next year's draft and he's closer to 1st rd than 3rd. I see you threw in 2nd rd to try and be safe. I made a mistake in drafting Lattimore over Davis in one draft (one pick before Davis), but I didn't make that same mistake in a more recent draft that has college players. You will eat your words (again) with Davis.

Pleeease. I had him rated as one of the 3-4 best backs from his draft class when I went through and looked at the early candidates for 2012. Just because I don't have someone as a slam dunk first rounder doesn't mean I think he's garbage. Davis has a lot of the same positives that McFadden had, except he looks stronger.

If we're talking best NFL RB prospects in the SEC though, my money is firmly on Richardson for 2012 and Dyer for 2013. I think they're tops in the whole country in their respective classes.

We finished the Backyard Brawl dev draft today, featuring some of the top 2012-eligible players (James, Luck, & Floyd were not in the pool because they were taken last year).

Here's how it went:

1. Trent Richardson, RB

2. Alshon Jeffrey, WR

3. Justin Blackmon, WR

4. Knile Davis, RB

5. Edwin Baker, RB

6. Ryan Broyles, WR

7. Cameron Marshall, RB

8. Jeff Fuller, WR

9. David Wilson, RB

10. Mohamed Sanu, WR

11. Juron Criner, WR

12. Doug Martin, RB

13. Andre Ellington, RB

14. Cyrus Gray, RB

Baker, Marshall, and Martin were my picks. They might have been reaches, but I was underwhelmed with the receivers, and they were the top RBs on my list.

My early watch list for 2012:

Andrew Luck, Stanford

Matt Barkley, USC

Landry Jones, Oklahoma

Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M

Trent Richardson, Alabama

Knile Davis, Arkansas

Edwin Baker, Michigan State

Cameron Marshall, Arizona State

LaMichael James, Oregon

Doug Martin, Boise State

Cyrus Gray, Texas A&M

Ray Graham, Pitt

Marc Tyler, USC

Stepfan Taylor, Stanford

Chris Polk, Washington

David Wilson, Virginia Tech

Andre Ellington, Clemson

Ed Wesley, TCU

Montee Ball, Wisconsin

Dan Herron, Ohio State

Rodney Stewart, Colorado

Bryce Brown, Kansas State

Lamar Miller, Miami

Washaun Ealey, Jacksonville State

Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State

Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina

Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma

Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M

Juron Criner, Arizona

Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers

Dwight Jones, UNC

Josh Gordon, Baylor

Duron Carter, Alabama

Marquis Maze, Alabama

Devonte Christopher, Utah

Jermaine Kearse, Washington

Chris Owusu, Stanford

Devier Posey, Ohio State

Kendall Wright, Baylor

Right now my top tier would be Richardson, Blackmon, and Luck. Jeffery is close. Then probably Davis and Floyd. I think things drop off a bit after that, but a lot can and will change over the next 8 months. At this time last year there was minimal hype for players like Blackmon, Leshoure, Daniel Thomas, Vereen, and Newton. The trick with dev drafts is always trying to figure out..

1. Which top prospects are frauds.

2. Which underrated players are top prospects.

I have some ideas about that.

We finished the Backyard Brawl dev draft today, featuring some of the top 2012-eligible players (James, Luck, & Floyd were not in the pool because they were taken last year). Here's how it went:1. Trent Richardson, RB2. Alshon Jeffrey, WR3. Justin Blackmon, WR4. Knile Davis, RB5. Edwin Baker, RB6. Ryan Broyles, WR7. Cameron Marshall, RB8. Jeff Fuller, WR9. David Wilson, RB10. Mohamed Sanu, WR11. Juron Criner, WR12. Doug Martin, RB13. Andre Ellington, RB14. Cyrus Gray, RB Baker, Marshall, and Martin were my picks. They might have been reaches, but I was underwhelmed with the receivers, and they were the top RBs on my list.
How does Barkley not get picked up in a league like this?

We finished the Backyard Brawl dev draft today, featuring some of the top 2012-eligible players (James, Luck, & Floyd were not in the pool because they were taken last year). Here's how it went:1. Trent Richardson, RB2. Alshon Jeffrey, WR3. Justin Blackmon, WR4. Knile Davis, RB5. Edwin Baker, RB6. Ryan Broyles, WR7. Cameron Marshall, RB8. Jeff Fuller, WR9. David Wilson, RB10. Mohamed Sanu, WR11. Juron Criner, WR12. Doug Martin, RB13. Andre Ellington, RB14. Cyrus Gray, RB Baker, Marshall, and Martin were my picks. They might have been reaches, but I was underwhelmed with the receivers, and they were the top RBs on my list.
QBs usually go late. IIRC, Bradford was the 1.06 pick when he was available. Luck was 1.09. Locker 1.10 or something like that. I think it can be smart to pick a QB if there's a sure thing out there, but Barkley's credentials aren't that amazing. Pretty ho-hum yards per attempt and TD:INT ratio even as a second year player on a team stacked with talent. I thought about him for a millisecond at 1.12, but opted to go elsewhere.

Matt Barkley, USCEdwin Baker, Michigan StateCameron Marshall, Arizona StateStepfan Taylor, StanfordChris Polk, WashingtonLamar Miller, MiamiJeff Fuller, Texas A&MJuron Criner, ArizonaMohamed Sanu, RutgersDwight Jones, UNCDevonte Christopher, UtahJermaine Kearse, Washington
Here are the guys I'm going to try and pay some close attention to this year. Not sure which way to go on them as of yet. Need to see a lot more on them.

QBs usually go late. IIRC, Bradford was the 1.06 pick when he was available. Luck was 1.09. Locker 1.10 or something like that. I think it can be smart to pick a QB if there's a sure thing out there, but Barkley's credentials aren't that amazing. Pretty ho-hum yards per attempt and TD:INT ratio even as a second year player on a team stacked with talent. I thought about him for a millisecond at 1.12, but opted to go elsewhere.
Seems to me it's worth a roll of the dice that late. Especially given that you already filled to picks with RBs. I have Barkley on my "to watch" list this year as he's on the west coast (I'm on the east coast so it's tough to get time to see Pac 10 players unless I make it) and I think he has the potential to be a top 10 pick in the NFL but I've just not seen enough to make a real judgment. Potential like that seems like a low risk at the end of round one given that format.

Seems to me it's worth a roll of the dice that late. Especially given that you already filled to picks with RBs. I have Barkley on my "to watch" list this year as he's on the west coast (I'm on the east coast so it's tough to get time to see Pac 10 players unless I make it) and I think he has the potential to be a top 10 pick in the NFL but I've just not seen enough to make a real judgment. Potential like that seems like a low risk at the end of round one given that format.
I don't think he would've been a bad pick in the 10-14 range, but I can understand why people would look elsewhere. Even an established veteran QB doesn't carry a huge trade value in this league and top QB prospects aren't usually coveted, so you have to think you're getting a pretty special player to use a dev spot on one. Either that, or you need to believe that everything left at RB/WR is crap.

Matt Barkley, USC

Edwin Baker, Michigan State

Cameron Marshall, Arizona State

Stepfan Taylor, Stanford

Chris Polk, Washington

Lamar Miller, Miami

Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M

Juron Criner, Arizona

Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers

Dwight Jones, UNC

Devonte Christopher, Utah

Jermaine Kearse, Washington
Here are the guys I'm going to try and pay some close attention to this year. Not sure which way to go on them as of yet. Need to see a lot more on them.
Fuller is the guy on this list I'll be watching most closely. I picked him up as a developmental player in one league, and watching clips of him he just appears to have "it". Seems to play even bigger than he is IMO.

Here are the other BYB dev drafts for anyone who's interested.

Bear in mind that players like Floyd and Luck weren't available because they were already picked last year.

BYB 1 (2012 eligible players only)

1. Alshon Jeffery, WR

2. Trent Richardson, RB

3. Justin Blackmon, WR

4. Knile Davis, RB

5. LaMichael James, RB

6. David Wilson, RB

7. Jeff Fuller, WR

8. Ryan Broyles, WR

9. Cyrus Gray, RB

10. Chris Polk, RB

11. Mohamed Sanu, WR

12. Matt Barkley, QB

13. Juron Criner, WR

14. Brandon Bolden, RB

BYB 2 (2012 only)

1. Alshon Jeffery, WR

2. Trent Richardson, RB

3. Justin Blackmon, WR

4. Knile Davis, RB

5. Ryan Broyles, WR

6. David Wilson, RB

7. Jeff Fuller, WR

8. Rueben Randle, WR

9. Chris Polk, RB

10. Cyrus Gray, RB

11. Edwin Baker, RB

12. Bryce Brown, RB

13. Mohamed Sanu, WR

14. Vick Ballard, RB

BYB 4 (2012 + 2013; Richardson, Luck, and Floyd already picked)

1. Justin Blackmon, WR

2. Alshon Jeffery, WR

3. Marcus Lattimore, RB

4. Knile Davis, RB

5. Ryan Broyles, WR

6. David Wilson, RB

7. Michael Dyer, RB

8. Lamar Miller, RB

9. Jeff Fuller, WR

10. Da'Rick Rogers, WR

11. Juron Criner, WR

12. Orson Charles, TE

13. Mohamed Sanu, WR

14. Edwin Baker, RB

It seems like there's a pretty clear consensus top 4 right now, with Richardson, Jeffery, and Blackmon comprising the top three picks, and Davis always going 4th. Jeff Fuller and Ryan Broyles were always the next WRs picked after the "big two" were off the board. Criner, Sanu, Polk, Gray, Baker, and Wilson were picked in multiple leagues. Barkley and Charles were the only QB and TE picked, and each of them was only picked in one league, meaning people aren't really in love with next year's QB/TE offerings (besides Luck) at this point in time.

Personally, I've got Richardson and Blackmon as the top 2 for 2012 on my board. I feel like Jeffery is slightly overrated, and would not have passed on Blackmon or Richardson to take him. I'm definitely surprised that he went ahead of Richardson in two leagues. That seems risky to me, but it could pay off if he becomes the next Fitzgerald.

I've gotta say that I don't really like the second tier of prospects this year. Broyles is a great player, but I question his NFL upside because of his lack of size and elite speed. Fuller looks like a #2 possession WR to me. I don't think there are any RBs in the 2012 class besides Richardson who look like locks for NFL success. Davis is okay, but not can't-miss, IMO. I gambled on Edwin Baker, Cameron Marshall, and Doug Martin with my picks because they have prototypical NFL RB builds coupled with good production on the field. I feel that Marshall is the most likely to emerge from obscurity and become a household name by the end of the season.

For 2013, I think Michael Dyer is a better pro prospect than Marcus Lattimore despite being almost universally ranked below him. He's got a much better build for the pro game with his low center of gravity and stocky frame. Lattimore is a good back who reminds me of Fred Taylor in some ways, but I don't think he's nearly the prospect that his hype would lead you to believe. People compare him to elite talents like Peterson, and I don't quite see that.

Also...as a Pac-12 homer, I definitely think there are some discrepancies between the national perception of some of our players and reality. This is especially true at RB. I am baffled by the high rankings I see for Chris Polk on draft sites, as he doesn't stand out to me as a good pro prospect. I think Cameron Marshall (Arizona State) is the best 2012 eligible RB prospect in the conference. I think he is sort of a poor man's Jonathan Stewart, with a rare combination of bulk and speed. I think he has 1st-2nd round potential if he blows up this year. Dennis Erickson has been hyping him up in the offseason, so expect a productive year. Stepfan Taylor (Stanford) is stocky and shifty, but he lacks long speed. I think he could be a 4th-6th round pick whenever he comes out. LaMichael James is very explosive, but also very small. It's tough to gauge his pro prospects. In a best case scenario he could become a Jamaal Charles type, but I think it's more likely that he'll be a niche player in the NFL. He's probably a 2nd-3rd round pick. Marc Tyler (USC) has never really lived up to the hype as an elite high school recruit, but has enough physical talent to get drafted. Rodney Stewart (Colorado) is productive and quick, but undersized. I don't get the hype for Jonathan Franklin (UCLA). He's nothing special, IMO.

At WR, Juron Criner (Arizona) is the best in the conference, but perhaps not a first round talent. Chris Owusu (Stanford) is fast and a great kickoff returner, but probably more of a WR2-WR4 for a pro team. Devonte Christopher (Utah) looks explosive. I'll try to keep an eye on him this season. Arizona State has a few sleepers at this position (Mike Willie, Gerell Robinson).

Looking ahead, I think Keenan Allen (Cal), Lache Seastrunk (Oregon), and Paul Richardson (Colorado) are some of the lesser known 2013-2014 prospects who have a chance to become standouts. Allen was the best athlete on Cal's offense last season as a true freshman. If you are in a DEEP dev draft and you want to take some flyers, I would consider these guys.

Also...as a Pac-12 homer, I definitely think there are some discrepancies between the national perception of some of our players and reality. This is especially true at RB. I am baffled by the high rankings I see for Chris Polk on draft sites, as he doesn't stand out to me as a good pro prospect. I think Cameron Marshall (Arizona State) is the best 2012 eligible RB prospect in the conference. I think he is sort of a poor man's Jonathan Stewart, with a rare combination of bulk and speed. I think he has 1st-2nd round potential if he blows up this year. Dennis Erickson has been hyping him up in the offseason, so expect a productive year. Stepfan Taylor (Stanford) is stocky and shifty, but he lacks long speed. I think he could be a 4th-6th round pick whenever he comes out. LaMichael James is very explosive, but also very small. It's tough to gauge his pro prospects. In a best case scenario he could become a Jamaal Charles type, but I think it's more likely that he'll be a niche player in the NFL. He's probably a 2nd-3rd round pick. Marc Tyler (USC) has never really lived up to the hype as an elite high school recruit, but has enough physical talent to get drafted. Rodney Stewart (Colorado) is productive and quick, but undersized. I don't get the hype for Jonathan Franklin (UCLA). He's nothing special, IMO. At WR, Juron Criner (Arizona) is the best in the conference, but perhaps not a first round talent. Chris Owusu (Stanford) is fast and a great kickoff returner, but probably more of a WR2-WR4 for a pro team. Devonte Christopher (Utah) looks explosive. I'll try to keep an eye on him this season. Arizona State has a few sleepers at this position (Mike Willie, Gerell Robinson). Looking ahead, I think Keenan Allen (Cal), Lache Seastrunk (Oregon), and Paul Richardson (Colorado) are some of the lesser known 2013-2014 prospects who have a chance to become standouts. Allen was the best athlete on Cal's offense last season as a true freshman. If you are in a DEEP dev draft and you want to take some flyers, I would consider these guys.
What about Jermaine Kearse, WR Wash.? I hear him mentioned as a guy who could move up draft boards big time this year and he has posted great numbers the past 2 years. I've never seen this guy play a single down and also have him on my watch list this year. Should I bother?

Yea, forgot about him. He's a definite draft prospect. Probably a 2nd-5th rounder.

Knile Davis suffered what is rumored to be a severe leg break yesterday.....heard a comarison to Prothro....hopefully being over-blown.

Blackmon is in the league of Green and Jones. Should grade much higher than Crabtree and Bryant

Blackmon is in the league of Green and Jones. Should grade much higher than Crabtree and Bryant
He will be graded about the same as Crabtree was entering the draft. Like Crabtree, and unlike the other receivers you mentioned Blackmon doesn't have elite physical tools. I think the only way he gets in the top 5 or 6 picks is if he has a very similar season to last year (1750 yards and 20 TDs) he will go somewhere in the 8-10 range. I'm not saying I don't like him (he reminds he of Hakeem Nicks), I see Alshon Jeffery going a few picks ahead of him. He has the physical tools of Calvin Johnson, also 6'6 230, and has excellent ball skills and very impressive film, and I don't believe he has any charecter concerns. Blackmon is 6'0 215 and is not an elite athlete. When draft day comes that is not the kind of WR that goes in the top 5, even if he did have crazy stats.

'Rodeojones said:
'gianmarco said:
UPDATE: Arkansas has confirmed that Davis is expected to miss the season with a left ankle injury
For those of us that play in leagues that draft college players...should this affect his draft position?
Reminds me of Michael Bush. There was talk of him being a great NFL RB and then he breaks his leg and gets picked in the 4th round that year. don't know if Davis' is as bad, but already saying he will be out for the season is not a good sign.

'Rodeojones said:
'gianmarco said:
UPDATE: Arkansas has confirmed that Davis is expected to miss the season with a left ankle injury
For those of us that play in leagues that draft college players...should this affect his draft position?
I've heard rumors that it was Prothro-esque....if you recall that injury, the leg snapped completely thru, on the field. Prothro never played again....but a lot of that had to do with an infection of the injury.Not trying to be an alarmist...but I'd look for more details on the severity before committing if possible.

The only QB's I've seen in the BB's since '04 are Bradford and Luck. Other than that, QBs haven't consistently been selected. People are hoping for the big strike at a RB or WR being how much value they carry as compared to QBs. I'm in all these BBs as commish and there's no way I'd take a QB. Luck was the only I considered.

Users who are viewing this thread