What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Michael Gallup Puns Galore (1 Viewer)

Michael Gallup pulled in two catches for 45 yards on five targets Sunday in the Cowboys’ Week 4 win over the Lions.

Gallup skied over Nevin Lawson for an impressive 37-yard catch in the first quarter. That’s more yards than he had in his previous three games combined. The rookie drew an end-zone target from Dak Prescott later on that same drive but the two couldn’t connect. For all his talent, Gallup has managed to haul in just five-of-12 targets this year. Maybe his day will come but right now, the Colorado State alum is miles off the fantasy radar.

Sep 30 - 6:06 PM

I might be wrong here, but it seems like he's playing more and more every week.  That's the good news.  Here's to hoping it continues and his coming out party isn't too late.  

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8401/terrance-williams

Cowboys placed WR Terrance Williams (foot) on injured reserve.

It's truly been a waste of a season for Williams, who's battled foot and off-field issues throughout the year. He'll be on the bubble in the offseason. This move hopefully instills rookie Michael Gallup into the offense as the third-rounder quietly played a season-high 40-of-69 snaps in Week 4 against the Lions. Oct 6 - 1:14 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

His snaps have been increasing each week so it’s not like he isn’t earning time.  Just having trouble making a huge impact which is relatively common I’d say for a rookie.  Compare him to Kirk, Miller, Sutton or any rookie WR other than Ridley and he’s doing fine.

Looking at snaps for the first 4 weeks, it has been Cole (1, 1, 1, 3), Hurns (2, 2, 2, 1), Thompson (3, 4, 3, 4), Gallup (4, 3, 4, 2).  For overall targets it has been Beasley (21), Hurns (14), Gallup & Thompson (12).  Last week each of Beasley, Hurns and Gallup got 5 targets, which tied for the team lead.  At least he is trending up.

no opinions on how this Cooper trade affects Gallup. not sure what to think. Gallup seems better than Hurns and maybe not such a bad thing to be a WR2. I was more concerned about Dallas drafting AJ Brown or a wr round 1, but now they have Cooper who I am less worried about. 

I'd much prefer Gallup as a potential #1 WR rather than a #2 WR, but I'm 50/50 on Cooper. Not sure what to think about him

no opinions on how this Cooper trade affects Gallup. not sure what to think. Gallup seems better than Hurns and maybe not such a bad thing to be a WR2. I was more concerned about Dallas drafting AJ Brown or a wr round 1, but now they have Cooper who I am less worried about. 

I'd much prefer Gallup as a potential #1 WR rather than a #2 WR, but I'm 50/50 on Cooper. Not sure what to think about him
Cooper has been inconsistent, and WRs headed to new teams don't have a great track record, even with an offseason to prepare.  At best we can hope for Sammy Watkins 2017 kind of numbers, in my view.

Long-term, whether Gallup surpasses Cooper depends on whether or not Cooper can get his own act together.  But I think on the balance it has to help Gallup to have a player with Cooper's measurables playing opposite him, rather than a bunch of stiffs that could be covered by an athletic DE.

As a Gallup owner, I'm rather pleased.  As a Cooper owner, I figure any change can't hurt.

Cant see it as a positive personally. Cowboys passing offense can’t support a lot of targets. Big part of Gallup’s allure was the lack of competition. Less targets and less snaps more than likely.

Cooper has been inconsistent, and WRs headed to new teams don't have a great track record, even with an offseason to prepare.  At best we can hope for Sammy Watkins 2017 kind of numbers, in my view.

Long-term, whether Gallup surpasses Cooper depends on whether or not Cooper can get his own act together.  But I think on the balance it has to help Gallup to have a player with Cooper's measurables playing opposite him, rather than a bunch of stiffs that could be covered by an athletic DE.

As a Gallup owner, I'm rather pleased.  As a Cooper owner, I figure any change can't hurt.
not worried about Hurns pushing Gallup down the chart?

not worried about Hurns pushing Gallup down the chart?
I don’t think you should be. Hes Locked up for another year. One of the Cowboys patented 2 year deals. If they hit they’re lucky and if they don’t they move on. 

They are invested in Gallup. I would speculate that the Cooper signing is good for Gallup because he’s been working with Dak, already seems to have the best deep ball repor with Dak and Cooper should help take some of the focus off. 

Of course that also means less pressure on Beasley and.....................

RICOOOOOOOOOOOOOO “Zeus” GAAAAAAAAAATHEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRSSS!!!!!

I think it comes down to Hurns not being what they hoped for. so is Cooper much better than Hurns? Maybe. Is it enough to cut into Gallups stats/potential? idk I'm 50/50 on Cooper. I liked him then people talked me out of him before the season. 

I can definitely see this good for Gallup or a wash to his current situation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant see it as a positive personally. Cowboys passing offense can’t support a lot of targets. Big part of Gallup’s allure was the lack of competition. Less targets and less snaps more than likely.
It's a positive for those of us that liked Gallup as a prospect.  The only reason he was being touted by others is what you mentioned, lots of open targets and snaps to fill.  I for one loved the talent, but never thought he was "special" and more of a very solid NFL WR2 for years to come.  This only enhances that and opens up better opportunities for him regardless of how "good" Cooper actually is. 

Personally I'm indifferent, in the way that I have no idea what to expect from Cooper, but he's on one of my rosters and I'm hoping this creates a sell window.  I want no part of Cooper on any roster and I'd be happy to sell to some overzealous Cowboy fan.  

Michael Gallup caught 3-of-6 targets for 51 yards in the Cowboys' Week 9 loss to the Titans.

Gallup ran as the clear No. 2 wideout alongside new No. 1 Amari Cooper, and the rookie's six targets were second on the team to Cooper's eight. Gallup is playing a solid snap share, but this pass offense is one of the worst in the league. With byes coming to an end, Gallup is WR5 material.

Nov 5 - 11:48 PM

Gallup looks to have potential to be a decent WR.  Cooper is a solid pro and could help Gallup reach that potential.  Will be interesting to see how Gallup and Cooper do next season after an offseason together in the Cowboys system and with Dak. 

Michael Gallup caught 2-of-3 passes for 34 yards in Week 10 against the Eagles.

Gallup started in three-wide sets over Allen Hurns. His snaps have been up the last couple weeks as the clear No. 2 opposite Amari Cooper. The Cowboys pass offense can't support more than one wideout, but Gallup's dynasty stock is on the rise.

Nov 12 - 12:09 AM

Why?  He was never this dominant type of guy that could beat the #1 CB, he’s a fantastic wr2 for future years.  He’s entrenched as a starter, and he’s shown improvement pretty much every week.  Amari only makes it easier for his transition into the pros.  
This. 

Dallas lacked a true #1 WR, which meant Gallup was going to have a hard time transitioning into a starting role. Cooper takes a lot of that pressure off of him and allows him to grow in a similar way we are seeing with Anthony Miller. Gallup is going to be an excellent WR2 on this team, and a very good WR2 in fantasy. There are multiple obstacles holding him back of course, but I think as this offense is fixed and gels together, Gallup will be quite a bargain if his owner is getting impatient

Cowboys rookie WR Michael Gallup is away from the team after being informed his brother took his own life.

"We just found out after the ballgame that his brother had committed suicide, and just want to leave it at that," coach Jason Garrett said. "Obviously a very personal matter. We’re all behind Michael and supporting him and his family." No one should be surprised if Gallup misses Thursday's game against the Redskins while addressing more important situations in his and his family's life.

Source: James Palmer on Twitter 

Nov 19 - 4:48 PM

This. 

Dallas lacked a true #1 WR, which meant Gallup was going to have a hard time transitioning into a starting role. Cooper takes a lot of that pressure off of him and allows him to grow in a similar way we are seeing with Anthony Miller. Gallup is going to be an excellent WR2 on this team, and a very good WR2 in fantasy. There are multiple obstacles holding him back of course, but I think as this offense is fixed and gels together, Gallup will be quite a bargain if his owner is getting impatient
Make offers. I did this trade on Oct 10. Dynasty PPR that doesn't value qbs.

Got: Garoppolo, Dorsett(dropped), Gallup, 2019 2nd (mid)

Gave: Stafford, Gathers(dropped), Lasley(dropped)

Make offers. I did this trade on Oct 10. Dynasty PPR that doesn't value qbs.

Got: Garoppolo, Dorsett(dropped), Gallup, 2019 2nd (mid)

Gave: Stafford, Gathers(dropped), Lasley(dropped)
Wow. swapping Stafford for Gallup is huge. Getting Jimmy G back in that is even better. I'd rather have Jimmy G than Stafford in dynasty straight up. 

As a Gallup owner I feel like this is about the value I can get for him, so I'm holding. His value will only go up IMO. He's solidly the #2 WR in that offense and that's exactly where he needs to be. 

Michael Gallup caught 5-of-7 targets for 76 yards in the Cowboys' Week 13 win over the Saints.

The 76 yards were Gallup's second most of the season. The rookie should have had an even-bigger night, but Dak Prescott flat missed him on what would have been a guaranteed 55-yard touchdown. Gallup left Eli Apple in the dust with a double move. With some of the pressure removed, Gallup has actually been more productive since Amari Cooper's acquisition. He will have some low-end WR4 appeal for Week 13 against the Eagles.

Nov 29 - 11:45 PM

Michael Gallup hauled in 2-of-6 targets for 18 yards and one score in Dallas' Wild Card win over the Seahawks.

Unlike the usual deep-shots he typically receives over the top of defenses, Gallup was targeted on a fade route in the end zone once the Cowboys reached Seattle's 11-yard line. Although it didn't work the first time, Dak Prescott went right back to it, hitting the rookie in the corner of the end zone on the second try. He'll remain a boom-or-bust DFS tournament option no matter who Dallas faces in the Divisional Round.

Jan 6 - 12:48 AM

Gallup is a good prospect for 2019; showed improvement during 2018 and locked in as WR2.
Beasley and Tavon are both free agents, and depending on who they re-sign/add to that WR room, Gallup might even be a buy low right now cause nobody is talking about him.  

Have him in a few leagues, would want a mid 2 for him. Would buy for a late 2. It's a very good WR class

with coop around and a balanced offense, don't see him getting the volume in near term

Have him in a few leagues, would want a mid 2 for him. Would buy for a late 2. 
seems like a loss? 

Gallup should have cost you a high second, I saw him go in the low 1st in some leagues. He was always thought of as a solid wr2. that hasnt changed with Cooper. 

No way I would sell him for a late 2

where do we put his value in dynasty, as far as draft pick compensation straight up?
Right now I have him around ADP 60, but that's without the rookie class coming in.  Depends on how you view the 2019 class I think, I haven't looked too far into the 2019 class yet so I'm not so sure of the depth, but I'd imagine I have somewhere between 5-8 players ahead of Gallup in terms of ADP.  I'd say late 1st MIGHT get it done if you trade him, but that's where I drafted him in multiple leagues so I don't I would do that personally.  

Yeah, would take a mid to late first for me to move but I'll probably just hold. His QB scares me more than anything.

Got him cheap (as a throw in for a trade) in the only league I have him.   I like the way he improved as the season progressed.

Dr. Dan said:
where do we put his value in dynasty, as far as draft pick compensation straight up?
Well, if you drafted him this year you probably paid between 1.11 and 2.02 to get him. He had a good rookie year so I can't see how he could be worth any less than a mid-first.  Will someone offer that? I don't know.  But I wouldn't trade him for any less since he solidied his place as a starter by the end of his rookie season.

I would deal him away for any top 10, first round picks. Cooper’s ascension to lead dog status on a team that doesn’t have an over abundance of targets limits Gallup’s upside. He’s a decent player and does have room for growth but I’m not convinced he ever becomes anything more than a wr3/flex type.

Last edited by a moderator:
DexterDew said:
Have him in a few leagues, would want a mid 2 for him. Would buy for a late 2. It's a very good WR class

with coop around and a balanced offense, don't see him getting the volume in near term
That's pretty on par with were I'd value him but reality is if I was looking at this from my teams in a FFPC type format I'd probably not give any second for him in any league but something I might consider after cutdowns are over.

Dr. Dan said:
seems like a loss? 
I value him less then I did during the rookie draft and I think I had him as 15 or 16 last year post draft.

If only Dak could throw a more accurate deep ball...

With that said, I hope Gallup gets some snaps in the slot. I'd like to make him more versatile if possible. That's the best for him and the team moving forward.

Users who are viewing this thread