What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Matt Jones, Colts (1 Viewer)

Pretty telling Jones will have a significant role in this offense having not played last night. This reeks of a RBBC on a bad team. One thing is for certain, Alf has been severely overdrafted.
I think his role won't be much different than Helu's role was last year. While it's significant, it's not worth the going rate IMO.
Almost every backfield is a RBBC to some extent. Helu was seeing an average of 40% of offensive snaps over the last two years which likely correlates with WAS being terrible. In games where WAS lost, it was common to see Helu finish with 4-6 receptions. I also think Helu is chronically underrated; he's more than just a 3rd-down/COP back.

I think the difference between Jones and Helu is really just timing. It's one think to try and unseat Morris after his outstanding rookie season but after several years of decreased effectiveness I don't think WAS is as averse to letting someone else eat into his early down work.

I disagree with your last statement, in most leagues Jones is still pretty much free.
Jones seems better suited to the every down back role than helu.

seems to be an upheaval in WAS .... benching RGIII and maybe going with the ones they drafted in Matt Jones ?

but I still think Morris is the bulk of carries 1/2 the season at least ...

Pretty telling Jones will have a significant role in this offense having not played last night. This reeks of a RBBC on a bad team. One thing is for certain, Alf has been severely overdrafted.
I think his role won't be much different than Helu's role was last year. While it's significant, it's not worth the going rate IMO.
Almost every backfield is a RBBC to some extent. Helu was seeing an average of 40% of offensive snaps over the last two years which likely correlates with WAS being terrible. In games where WAS lost, it was common to see Helu finish with 4-6 receptions. I also think Helu is chronically underrated; he's more than just a 3rd-down/COP back.

I think the difference between Jones and Helu is really just timing. It's one think to try and unseat Morris after his outstanding rookie season but after several years of decreased effectiveness I don't think WAS is as averse to letting someone else eat into his early down work.

I disagree with your last statement, in most leagues Jones is still pretty much free.
He is..it's very hard for me to strike a balance between my love for Jones and my opinion of Helu being underrated in this thread.

He is..it's very hard for me to strike a balance between my love for Jones and my opinion of Helu being underrated in this thread.
Every time I saw Helu, he was catching a swing pass and turning it into a 30 yard TD.

How would you compare Helu and Jones' fantasy value right now? PPR.

Helu is in better circumstances than he was in Washington, but Jones is certainly more capable of being an every down back than Helu is.

What's their value this year?

seems to be an upheaval in WAS .... benching RGIII and maybe going with the ones they drafted in Matt Jones ?

Morris will be the guy. He has been the guy and been consistant since he has been on the team. Jones may get work depending on game script though if they are in passing downs and such. This is a contract year for morris as well. So in keeper leagues that is a reason to possibly keep jones in case Morris goes elsewhere.

I think you see a 60/40 split for Morris to start, but by mid season Jones will get the majority of the carries. If I owned Morris I be selling now.

Morris is a very good RB, but one dimensional...

Morris is a very good RB, but one dimensional...
And also what remains to be seen is how he runs in their new scheme. He's excelled at zone block scheme throughout his career but they're converting to a power blocking scheme and he didn't look great in the preseason. He may be fine but it's a change along with the Qb that he'll have to adjust to along with a young buck who's looked great and the coaches have plans for nipping at his heels. To me there's a lot of flashing signs saying stay away from Morris and don't see a lot of reasons for optimism. I just don't like shooting for low ceiling players which is how I view Morris.

Last edited by a moderator:
How confident are we that Jones will be the 3rd down back? There is quite a bit out there on Thompson being the guy for that. Just curious.

How confident are we that Jones will be the 3rd down back? There is quite a bit out there on Thompson being the guy for that. Just curious.
Thompson is the 3rd down back not Jones. Jones will be relief for Morris.

Note that the redskins are still a bad team, so game scripts will be pass heavy i imagine(but should start run heavy). Morris will get 75% of the touches on running downs i would imagine and then jones will come in to relieve him when hes tired or games get out of hand. There is a chance that jones takes touches away i suppose, but i dont see him taking the job unless there is an injury. And even if he did, the Redskins arent going to be running a ton as they should be down in alot of games so how much upside is there really if you arent in a keeper league?

Thompson is the 3rd down back not Jones. Jones will be relief for Morris.

Note that the redskins are still a bad team, so game scripts will be pass heavy i imagine(but should start run heavy). Morris will get 75% of the touches on running downs i would imagine and then jones will come in to relieve him when hes tired or games get out of hand. There is a chance that jones takes touches away i suppose, but i dont see him taking the job unless there is an injury. And even if he did, the Redskins arent going to be running a ton as they should be down in alot of games so how much upside is there really if you arent in a keeper league?
This is where I am at with this guy.

I don't own him anywhere, but in dynasty and keeper (we can keep 5) I'm going to keep an eye on him, and hopefully Morris dominates the carries early, and I'll try and make a play for Jones later this season. Preseason performances get forgotten sometimes, and maybe an impatient owner lets him go. He's the kind of guy I would try and acquire if I was trading someone their handcuff.

If I have him, I won't trade until I see what happens with the Skins this year, and with Morris next year. One really attractive thing about Jones as a dynasty stash is that by next April, Jones' value could either spike, or effectively disappear. You'll know soon with him. Morris entering the final year of his deal is huge, and Morris isn't going to be signing a 1-year deal, he'll know that this next contract is the end of his big money. Hell or high water, Morris going to sign a multi-year deal next year.

Love Jones as a dynasty prospect, but I am going to temper my enthusiasm this season.

I think Morris will see most of the action barring injury.

Any recent dynasty offers or trades for him? I got the classic 'are you willing to move Jones? If so what for?' text. I responded with 'what would you pay for him? Crickets.

What was he a 3rd round rookie pick? I'm holding until we know more. You probably took him as a 2016 potential starter anyway, anything in 2015 is gravy.

Anyone think Washington will emulate the Cowboys' strategy from last year and run their free-agent-to-be RB into the ground since they don't care about his long-term prospects?

Any recent dynasty offers or trades for him? I got the classic 'are you willing to move Jones? If so what for?' text. I responded with 'what would you pay for him? Crickets.
I started the conversation with the Alf owner involving M. Bryant...will take a good showing or two to get some interest but have to chum the waters before you get a bite with a guy like him.

Depending on mood or context, I typically respond with "Anything that will improve my team," or "Something that will improve my starting lineup."

Is Jones the passing back? Is his value far greater in PPR than standard?
Right now Chris Thompson is the passing down back, but he has an extensive injury history and Jones is already a better pass blocker IMO. Jones can also catch, even though he rarely did it in college. He's going to have to rip that job out of Thompson's cold, dead hands though because Gruden loves him some Chris Thompson for some reason.

I offered L Fitzgerald and a 2nd round pick next year. Declined. Probably will up the offer to two 2nds, not sure if I would do more than that.

You know, I bid on both Gurley and Gordon in my dynasty draft. I didn't get them, but watching Matt Jones on film, I think I lucked into a beast.

McCloughan preaches over and over again about:

1) keeping guys with the team long term if they are producing at all

2) signing players with a passion for football

3) being physical

Morris fits #1 and 2 about as perfect as it can be done. #3 less so. But I don't think Morris is going anywhere unless his contract demands are totally ridiculous. Plus most of Morris' runs in preseason were to the right. They were testing Scherff and Moses. Morris should be more productive in the regular season.

I sense 60% Morris, 30% Jones, 10% Thompson this year. And even more RBBC next year if Morris is re-signed. But I don't think Matt Jones will ever be a #1 Fantasy RB at any point in his career. Maybe a #2 if all the cards fall into place.

Except for the "playing from behind" every week game script, probably.
Right, I don't think he'll pop off for 1,800 yards. I just meant as a counter to the argument that Morris may be gone next year, so they'll want to see what they have in Jones.

What I love about grabbing Jones late/cheap in drafts is that he'll still be producing a bit in PPR as the 3rd down back on a team that could be losing plenty this season. And there's an outside chance he overtakes Morris.

I am having a hard time not wanting him on all my teams, problem is I was stupid enough not to draft him. Finding it hard to get him in trade, value is quite high right now.

How did Jones look when on the field? Like the guy who averaged 7ypc in the preseason or like a guy who should be a backup? I didn't get the game here.

How did Jones look when on the field? Like the guy who averaged 7ypc in the preseason or like a guy who should be a backup? I didn't get the game here.
Looked pretty good. Only 5 carries, so it's hard to say he's going to be worth a roster spot unless Morris goes down.

He looked pretty good, but missed one cutback lane that Morris never would have missed. He churns his legs and runs violently but needs to slow his game down and take what's there first, his vision is a question mark right now. I'm one who has advocated for not re-signing Morris next year, just because I don't like the idea of investing $$ in a RB, but he looked like an absolute stud yesterday against a great DL, and this OL is just starting to gel.

So bummed. Dropped him for wood head this week. He's doing exactly what I thought he could just didn't think he'd get the opportunity this soon.

So bummed. Dropped him for wood head this week. He's doing exactly what I thought he could just didn't think he'd get the opportunity this soon.
I also dropped him. I was pretty sure Alf cemented his job last week but I was wrong.

Same. I dropped him. I knew that would bite me back. now unless he has a bad week Ill never get him back but, lucky for me I shouldnt need him.

Yes we know if you dropped him you are pissed now.

Let's get some reactions from people who watched the game. Did he look better than Morris? Or would Morris have done the same damage on those runs? System and game flow or genuinely better talent?

Yes we know if you dropped him you are pissed now.

Let's get some reactions from people who watched the game. Did he look better than Morris? Or would Morris have done the same damage on those runs? System and game flow or genuinely better talent?
He has juice and power that Morris doesn't have. Similar patience. Morris has better vision behind the line. Tough to say what Morris would have done with those touches but I don't think he makes either of those TD runs. Not fast enough for the first, maybe he's patient and powerful enough for the 2nd but Jones looked like a vet. Probably gonna be a mess all season for fantasy and I really don't know if McCloughan is the type to re-sign a RB.

Users who are viewing this thread