What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Matt Jones, Colts (1 Viewer)

Almost dropped him in redraft this week, thankfully I opted to hold. He looked very, very good. Power...vision looked good to me. He's gonna be worth a roll of the dice kind of start in my redraft league going forward.

Yes we know if you dropped him you are pissed now.

Let's get some reactions from people who watched the game. Did he look better than Morris? Or would Morris have done the same damage on those runs? System and game flow or genuinely better talent?
He has juice and power that Morris doesn't have. Similar patience. Morris has better vision behind the line. Tough to say what Morris would have done with those touches but I don't think he makes either of those TD runs. Not fast enough for the first, maybe he's patient and powerful enough for the 2nd but Jones looked like a vet. Probably gonna be a mess all season for fantasy and I really don't know if McCloughan is the type to re-sign a RB.
Yeah, it's going tough to trust either Jones or Morris week to week. If one gets hurt you have an RB1.

So both backs looked very good today. I dont believe jones will be taking over the job anytime soon. However, he will get touches. Basically, it still seems to be that Morris will get his touches until tired, then jones comes in. If he is hot they will stay with him a bit, if not they will go back to morris.

Also of note is he fumbled today. But he did get touches afterwards.

He is worth adding, especially in keeper and dynasty because he stands a chance to take the job next year if morris doesnt get the money he wants. There is also the chance he gets more touches, however as of now, alfred is still the guy. But i think there will be times when jones has a decent day like this.

Can anyone who watched the game please describe the circumstances that led to Jones' fumble? Hard hit, carrying it too loose, bad luck? Being a fumbler can quickly undo a lot of positives in the NFL but a promising start.

Can anyone who watched the game please describe the circumstances that led to Jones' fumble? Hard hit, carrying it too loose, bad luck? Being a fumbler can quickly undo a lot of positives in the NFL but a promising start.
Poor ball security. He will learn from it though.

MY LINK

Like i said they trusted him after it with redzone touches.

So both backs looked very good today. I dont believe jones will be taking over the job anytime soon. However, he will get touches. Basically, it still seems to be that Morris will get his touches until tired, then jones comes in. If he is hot they will stay with him a bit, if not they will go back to morris.

He is worth adding, especially in keeper and dynasty because he stands a chance to take the job next year if morris doesnt get the money he wants. There is also the chance he gets more touches, however as of now, alfred is still the guy. But i think there will be times when jones has a decent day like this.
Take the job next year?? Please see the handwriting on the wall

Take the job next year?? Please see the handwriting on the wall
Im just going by morris track record since he has been in the league which has been extremely consistent. They trust him. I don't think hes taking the job this year completely unless there is an injury. Now, once the redskins are out of playoff contention maybe they play him a bit more? Thats my 2.5 cents from a guy who has watched every redskins game for the last few decades.

Well the offers start rolling in now in my dynasty league. Sell high or hold?
depends on your roster, depth and needs...if I'm selling as a dynasty owner I'm getting something solid. His preseason created a good bit of smoke but it was preseason and you weren't sure of his role in the regular season. Week 1 he did nothing but then facing a stout defense in week 2 he blows up and despite similar touch count blew away Morris. It won't happen instantly but if he keeps substantially outperforming Morris week after the week the balance of power will shift into his favor.

Not only did Jones blow away Morris in effectiveness yesterday, the fact that Morris is a free agent after this year spells very good things for Jones owners. Why would Washington resign Morris when they know his backup is younger and better? I can see the shift to Jones as the main back being sooner rather than later.

Not only did Jones blow away Morris in effectiveness yesterday, the fact that Morris is a free agent after this year spells very good things for Jones owners. Why would Washington resign Morris when they know his backup is younger and better? I can see the shift to Jones as the main back being sooner rather than later.
This is worth noting for dynasty.

For redraft, who will and won't be on the team next year shouldn't impact how the coaches use guys this year.

For redraft, who will and won't be on the team next year shouldn't impact how the coaches use guys this year.
Especially since this division is a dumpster fire and the Skins should be in the race all season.

I think Bill Callahan is doing wonders for the offensive line re: run blocking.

didn't see the game but saw the MattJones highlight package on nfl.com and he looked like he was playing at a different speed than anybody else.. he looks fast, tough and seems to have great vision.. granted again it was just the highlight package but I think they showed basically every one of his runs plus at least one catch

Morris was much more effective in week 1. Im sure it will be a weekly hot hand thing, but yea Jones is the back to own beyond this year.

The way I view this ideally is that 1. this could be something like what the Dolphins had envisioned for Moreno and Miller last year, loads of carries; and 2. somewhere back in the troves of my memory I recall something about Gruden when he came from Cincy wanting to be among the league leaders in plays run. If that was true and if he still wants to reach that goal then maybe Jones and Morris continue this massive carry share.

If the Redskins D continues to play well and if another goal is that Cousins has less pressure on him, then all the better.

Given all this maybe Jones and Morris together can continue to be viable.

Last edited by a moderator:
But for this year Morris' value is capped as part of a RBBC and Morris is still the starter.

I get your point, but I disagree - If Morris wasn't in a contract year, they'd be less pressed to give Jones work to see what he can do. They need to evaluate Jones. They're not going to let Morris go based off of Jones's one hot game. They'll let Jones see what he can handle and do. That gives him the opportunity to out-play Al Mo and actually win the job this year if he's capable. If he's not capable of winning the job, then they'll have to consider that when they look to resign Morris (or not re-sign him).

Morris' contract year is absolutely relevant for re-draft.

Is Matt Jones also the preferred passing down back? This Waiver Wired article from Roto seems to indicate that as a possibility.

3. Matt Jones, Redskins – Owned in 23 percent of Yahoo leagues
I wrote an ode to Matt Jones in the first Waiver Wired of the year, but I pulled back off him after Alfred Morris dominated the carries 25-to-6 in the season opener. That was a mistake. Attempting to institute a ball-control offense early in the season, Washington ran the ball 37 times against the Rams Week 2. Jones saw 19 of those carries and turned them into 123 yards and two touchdowns. Morris only managed 59 yards on his 18 carries. Morris is still expected to be the lead dog most games, but he is a liability in the passing game who could find himself on the bench if the Redskins get into negative game script situations. Jones is effective in the passing game and could dominate snaps if Washington falls behind. Both players are worthy of starting consideration moving forward, but Jones might have the most upside of the two.

But for this year Morris' value is capped as part of a RBBC and Morris is still the starter.
I look at it this way - If the Skins continue to win, they'll hopefully run the ball a lot and there will be carries for both backs. If they start to fall behind, it seems they trust throwing to Jones more than to Morris, so Jones will be on the field more. Might not translate into FFB points, but at least he's out there to see...

Is Matt Jones also the preferred passing down back? This Waiver Wired article from Roto seems to indicate that as a possibility.

3. Matt Jones, Redskins – Owned in 23 percent of Yahoo leagues

I wrote an ode to Matt Jones in the first Waiver Wired of the year, but I pulled back off him after Alfred Morris dominated the carries 25-to-6 in the season opener. That was a mistake. Attempting to institute a ball-control offense early in the season, Washington ran the ball 37 times against the Rams Week 2. Jones saw 19 of those carries and turned them into 123 yards and two touchdowns. Morris only managed 59 yards on his 18 carries. Morris is still expected to be the lead dog most games, but he is a liability in the passing game who could find himself on the bench if the Redskins get into negative game script situations. Jones is effective in the passing game and could dominate snaps if Washington falls behind. Both players are worthy of starting consideration moving forward, but Jones might have the most upside of the two.
Yup...we were both posting about this at the same time. Morris has never been much of a pass catcher. The 3rd down back in past years has been Helu. Assuming Jones really is the preferred back in passing situations, he might see even more work, and have some insurance if the Skins happen to be losing.

Just got offered Mike Evans for him. Contemplating. Dynasty league.
I'm in a very similar situation. I really like Jones and the owner just offered Jones and Mike Evans for L. Murray and Alshon Jeffery. Its tempting but I am high on my two guys as well. Dynasty PPR as well.

I hate myself: Traded for Charles after week 1 & felt a need to cuff him. Dropped Jones for Knile Davis and haven't stopped punching myself since (Not that any of you care) Im 7th in WW order, 3% or less I get him back somehow. F Me

I get your point, but I disagree - If Morris wasn't in a contract year, they'd be less pressed to give Jones work to see what he can do. They need to evaluate Jones. They're not going to let Morris go based off of Jones's one hot game. They'll let Jones see what he can handle and do. That gives him the opportunity to out-play Al Mo and actually win the job this year if he's capable. If he's not capable of winning the job, then they'll have to consider that when they look to resign Morris (or not re-sign him).

Relevant, but what does it mean? DeMarco Murray was in a contract year last year and the Cowboys rode him till the wheels fell off. What is the move? "Evaluate" the replacement or peg the throttle on the current?

I think you people who think there's going to be a big difference between Jones' production and Evans' production aren't seeing what a talent Jones is. Huge, fast, three down back. You're only seeing the rip of the iceberg. And Evans seems disinterested plus has Winston as his QB.

You know who else might not be there next year? The coaching staff.

They're not holding tryouts on gamedays.

jdoggydogg said:
Ace zero1 said:
Just got offered Mike Evans for him. Contemplating. Dynasty league.
PM me if anyone drops out of this league.
seriously. i drafted jones in dynasty. would love an offer like that
Depends on your RB corps, though. I have Hyde, Jones, Woodhead, and Jennings in dynasty. I have Beckham Jr., too - so I have my #1 WR. It'd be hard to part with Jones right now given my shakey RBs.
Even in that case, I'd make the deal and then flip Evans if needed. You could probably end up with a better RB than Jones.

For those who have both Matt Jones and Alfred Morris... anyone else considering starting him OVER Alf on Thursday Night?

Power, speed & can catch the ball. The only question is opportunity.

Surprised my league mates slept on him when waivers ran last night. Just dropped Crowell for him.

For context: start 1 RB with W/R Flex Full PPR

Other RBs: Abdullah, Forsett, David Johnson, Spiller, Sproles

For those who have both Matt Jones and Alfred Morris... anyone else considering starting him OVER Alf on Thursday Night?
I am considering him for my flex position over some really good WRs. The one thing that concerns me is that they may still alternate focus week to week between him and Morris. That and that this game is on Thursday night. Does that concern anyone?

No one is worried about his injury history? Double knee surgery in college plus all those preseason bruises.

I am really asking; not trying to be a Debbie Downer

I am considering him for my flex position over some really good WRs. The one thing that concerns me is that they may still alternate focus week to week between him and Morris. That and that this game is on Thursday night. Does that concern anyone?
Yeah the reason I'm considering him over Alf is I expect the Giants to score some points and the Skins to be playing from behind. When that happens Alf's numbers always seem to suffer... and Jones seems to have a hold on the Helu roll in this offense (unless I'm wrong about that?). That coupled with his home run threat potential... he just seems like a better start.

Then again all of this means nothing if we get another Thursday Night stinker.

I am in 2 of my leagues. At worst, I think they'll post comparable numbers. At best, look at last week. They'll be running as much as possible to keep pressure off Kirk. Plus Jones is a better receiver out of the backfield. I do love me some Morris but the writing's on the wall. IMO- If you start Jones over Morris in 10 games, he'll outperform Alf in 7 of them.

Starting him over Ingram and J. Hill this week. Normally I wouldn't bench a 2nd round pick but Hill plays the Ravens this week.

Users who are viewing this thread